2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

So after buying a set of 0311 irons, I bought a set of the P790 irons, sold my PXG 0311's

Later bought a set of combo 5,6 0311, 0311T 7,8,9,W and shafted them with Accra 100i shafts and advent looked back- Sold my P790's

That said, the P790's are AWESOME sticks!

I'm intrigued to see/try the Ping i500's next :) in person

sidenote: I really wish PXG would make a Gap wedge in the T line (not the milled that currently offer). Then they would be perfection!

Callaway Paradym X 10.5  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T22 RAW 53/57 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

I just played a round out of buddies bag of these P790 w DG X100's and couldn't believe how long and forgiving these irons are! I was shocked that the yardage's were on apr if not better with the 6-7-8 iron than my current Mizzy JPX900 Forged set up. I could game these for sure. Have many of you forged mizen guys made this switch?

Curious itchy wallet here LOL

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

So after buying a set of 0311 irons, I bought a set of the P790 irons, sold my PXG 0311's

Later bought a set of combo 5,6 0311, 0311T 7,8,9,W and shafted them with Accra 100i shafts and advent looked back- Sold my P790's

sidenote: I really wish PXG would make a Gap wedge in the T line (not the milled that currently offer). Then they would be perfection!

What did you not like about the full set of 0311’s? I thought they were very comparable to the 790’s.....

After complaining about hitting almost 200 yard 7 irons (or 6 irons based on lofts), I'm scheduled for a launch monitor fitting and loft lie check/adjustment to see what is up here. These irons may just be super hot, but bending 2* weak may not fix my gaps. I guess I could just forgo the 4,5,6 iron but that just feels wrong, but not much more wrong than a 40 yard gap between 7 and 8 iron. Hoping bending lofts can fix it as I love the look and feel of the irons.

I too am looking at all three of these models. Was kinda dead set on 0311 just because my wife gave the go ahead. Yup, I gotta check with her! But she offered to get fit for Father’s Day. But then started to think of I went with 790 I could get a new driver and hybrids and wedges for the cost of the PXG irons. Then I saw these Ping i500. I just chose a Maltby PTM in black with some Xcaliber shafts about 3 months ago and have been very pleased. The shafts were needed as my tennis elbow has gotten to “needs surgery” point.

I will hit all 3 once the i500 have made it out and go from there. But likely will carry a hire price with recoil or Steelfibers in whatever I get.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I don't think this has been mentioned enough but these are extremely low spin irons. Every review I've watch on YouTube shows very low spin numbers. If your a low spin player and hit one a grove low or get some grass between the face and ball it's gonzo. I am a high spin player and my results have been outstanding. I've had 6 sets of irons in the last 2 years and I have zero desire to try anything else after being fitted for the P790s.

Callaway Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Ventus Black 6X (green dot adapter set to 7*)

Maverik Sub Zero 13.5 Ventus Blue 7X

Apex UW 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Callaway X Forged 4-PW Modus 125X

Apex MB Gap Wedge  50* Modus 125X

Vokey 56S & 60L TT Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport

I've had these irons for about two months. Looking at the specs, I was a bit confused by the loft progression (PW is 1* stronger than standard, 9 iron is 2* stronger, etc.). The club that has honestly given me the most fits has been the 7 iron. Just last week, I had 161 yards into a solid wind. A "normal" full swing with this club has been consistently getting me to the 165-170 mark on the course. I decide to hit a punch 7, my follow through doesn't even make it to my shoulders, and the ball acts almost as if it's downwind, and ends up going about 175, barely catching the back of the green. This happened again on a punch 9 iron later in the round. I understand that these are meant to be a hotter player's iron, already lower spinning than normal, so a punch shot is pretty much asking for a flier. I'm going to have the lofts changed to basically be 1* stronger than a standard (think Mizuno) loft gapping and see if that normalizes things a bit. I'm thinking just getting a bit more launch and spin will help control these a bit more consistently

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

I just played a round out of buddies bag of these P790 w DG X100's and couldn't believe how long and forgiving these irons are! I was shocked that the yardage's were on apr if not better with the 6-7-8 iron than my current Mizzy JPX900 Forged set up. I could game these for sure. Have many of you forged mizen guys made this switch?

Curious itchy wallet here LOL

Raised hand

I don't think this has been mentioned enough but these are extremely low spin irons. Every review I've watch on YouTube shows very low spin numbers. If your a low spin player and hit one a grove low or get some grass between the face and ball it's gonzo. I am a high spin player and my results have been outstanding. I've had 6 sets of irons in the last 2 years and I have zero desire to try anything else after being fitted for the P790s.

your witb is fantastic, good write up too!

My index is down 4 shots since putting a full set of 790s in the bag. Now I know I cant attribute all the improvement to the irons but they are certainly a major reason for my better play. I’ve found that the 790s are terrific on mishits. Shots that formerly would have come up short due to impact high on the face or slightly off center now fly a manageable distance. In addition, I’m a high spin iron player (steep AoA) and the 790s have helped control issues with shots going into the wind. I’m currently a 7.8 index.

... I am not sure I have ever seen a set of irons garner so many negative comments. I have played just about every kind of iron known, including Tiger Sharks when I first started playing. I have seen none of the issues brought up on this thread. Played maybe 75 rounds with my first set and face wear was same as any other forged club I have played, and I would go so far as to say probably less. (Fwiw, I do not hit sandy range balls) I have never seen a "flier" that was not caused by outside agents like grass or wind. Gapping has been extremely consistent with the exception of a learning curve initially using my pw. As a + index, iron play is the strongest part of my game and I would not be playing P790's if any of the above were an issue for me. In contrast I find them the longest, most accurate and by a wide margin the best irons I have ever played in the 45 years I have been playing golf. I am usually already looking at new sets coming out before my current set is broken in, but the P790's have changed that. When I was in Phoenix I brought my Cobra Forged Tour irons out after playing my 790's 25 days in a row. But after 9 I went back to the car and put the 790's back in my bag and I loved the Cobra's.

... I do not post this to refute comments from those having personal issues with the P790's but I write it for those on the fence about trying them. Do not be dissuaded by the negative comments and I encourage you to demo them and then decide for yourself. They may not be for you for a myriad of reasons but you owe it to yourself to at least experience them, especially those that could use a little more distance in a players iron.

+1

As a low handicapper, I also think these irons are outstanding. The improvements I've made with my GIR is bordering on miraculous. My scores are now much more consistent which is the most important factor.

Taylormade hit a homerun with these irons. No ifs ands or buts.

My index is presently 1.6. I agree with everything in these posts. I have played Mizuno MP 33's and MP 4's, Ping S55's, and Wilson Fg V4's.

In my opinion (and I have never had any interest in trying a Taylormade product before this), these irons are the first significant advancement in irons in years. They are game changers.

wondering if anyone could help me understand this better. I was fitted and demoing clubs with swing weight D2. I wound up ordering a custom set from TM and they do not build for swing weight, and they came in C7/C8 of the p790s

What would be the differences in ball flight, and what if anything would be affected?

... I am not sure I have ever seen a set of irons garner so many negative comments. I have played just about every kind of iron known, including Tiger Sharks when I first started playing. I have seen none of the issues brought up on this thread. Played maybe 75 rounds with my first set and face wear was same as any other forged club I have played, and I would go so far as to say probably less. (Fwiw, I do not hit sandy range balls) I have never seen a "flier" that was not caused by outside agents like grass or wind. Gapping has been extremely consistent with the exception of a learning curve initially using my pw. As a + index, iron play is the strongest part of my game and I would not be playing P790's if any of the above were an issue for me. In contrast I find them the longest, most accurate and by a wide margin the best irons I have ever played in the 45 years I have been playing golf. I am usually already looking at new sets coming out before my current set is broken in, but the P790's have changed that. When I was in Phoenix I brought my Cobra Forged Tour irons out after playing my 790's 25 days in a row. But after 9 I went back to the car and put the 790's back in my bag and I loved the Cobra's.

... I do not post this to refute comments from those having personal issues with the P790's but I write it for those on the fence about trying them. Do not be dissuaded by the negative comments and I encourage you to demo them and then decide for yourself. They may not be for you for a myriad of reasons but you owe it to yourself to at least experience them, especially those that could use a little more distance in a players iron.

I agree. The P790’s are fantastic clubs. I’m a 13 handicapper and iron play is probably my weakness. Played CF16’s previously and couldn’t hit them at all. The P790’s allow me to hit nice high shots (I’ve always struggled getting any sort of height on my irons), I get plenty of spin with the scoring clubs, I haven’t seen any concerning wear. I was fit for these at the Taylor Made performance studio at Poppy Hills, and I’m sure that proper fitting session has also helped me a load. These will be staying in my bag for the foreseeable future.

Anybody else have excessive wearing on the face? Have wear marks on PW and 8 iron within a month and a half. I know they're soft but this is friggin' ridiculous

Pics? And give us some idea of how many rounds, range etc... that would help us understand your post & wear issues

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

wondering if anyone could help me understand this better. I was fitted and demoing clubs with swing weight D2. I wound up ordering a custom set from TM and they do not build for swing weight, and they came in C7/C8 of the p790s

What would be the differences in ball flight, and what if anything would be affected?

The main difference is feel. Everyone has a personal "sweet spot" at which the swingweight feels the most comfortable. Too light and you might find it hard to know where the clubhead is and also struggle to release the club fully.

That's not great on the part of TM but its a relatively easy fix. To start with you can build the weight up with some lead tape on one of the irons. If you find that you do hit the heavier iron better than the lighter set then I would ask TM in the first instance if they would add tip weights and if not get a local clubmaker to pull the shafts and do it.

This shouldn't happen, but it's a far easier fix than getting clubs that are too heavy.

Out of interest, are these standard length clubs and what shaft did you order? As I've posted before in this thread, I've been trying to pin TM down to a swingweight on a +1" build as I don't want heavier than D4. All the signs are they could achieve that and others have chimed in here saying that also agrees with their experience. My concern is simply if I drop $$s and get a set that is D6+ which would be a big issue for me

The main difference is feel. Everyone has a personal "sweet spot" at which the swingweight feels the most comfortable. Too light and you might find it hard to know where the clubhead is and also struggle to release the club fully.

That's not great on the part of TM but its a relatively easy fix. To start with you can build the weight up with some lead tape on one of the irons. If you find that you do hit the heavier iron better than the lighter set then I would ask TM in the first instance if they would add tip weights and if not get a local clubmaker to pull the shafts and do it.

This shouldn't happen, but it's a far easier fix than getting clubs that are too heavy.

Out of interest, are these standard length clubs and what shaft did you order? As I've posted before in this thread, I've been trying to pin TM down to a swingweight on a +1" build as I don't want heavier than D4. All the signs are they could achieve that and others have chimed in here saying that also agrees with their experience. My concern is simply if I drop $$s and get a set that is D6+ which would be a big issue for me

Don't know if any help but was inquiring about p730s and was told Taylormade have two heads - normal and lighter, that was all they did for swing weight. +1/2 would get normal heads, +1 would get lighter heads, that was in emails with discount dans.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Don't know if any help but was inquiring about p730s and was told Taylormade have two heads - normal and lighter, that was all they did for swing weight. +1/2 would get normal heads, +1 would get lighter heads, that was in emails with discount dans.

Thanks - it's strange, they confirm they have lighter heads but seem reluctant to divulge what swingweight they can build to with them. It's only from feedback here that it appears possible to

Mizuno can tell you a swingweight range they can target based on your exact proposed spec. TM can't get that if they build me a set at D6 I don't want them, at a maximum of D4 and ideally D3 they can take my money now!

Thanks - it's strange, they confirm they have lighter heads but seem reluctant to divulge what swingweight they can build to with them. It's only from feedback here that it appears possible to

Mizuno can tell you a swingweight range they can target based on your exact proposed spec. TM can't get that if they build me a set at D6 I don't want them, at a maximum of D4 and ideally D3 they can take my money now!

I did not order TM irons due to that. I want D4 at +1/2 inch and If I am paying lots of money then I want that.

Second hand or see what comes out in the next couple of months for me.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

wow that is some wear!

hope my 2 iron doesn't end up like that. I just put back in my bag my 2010 Scratch SB1s that I used for 5 seasons and they don't have that wear.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

This thread just goes to show you, its all about individual fitting(s) because one person can't tolerate them and takes the hit by unloading them used, and the next guy comes here saying they cant get enough of them. Although it seems to be 2:1 or 3:1 against and NOT happy with them. I think I will to wait until they get the kinks worked out so I'll just stick with my Srixons that give me precise yardages, distance, and forgiveness.
I don't have any skin in this game. But I do not that someone that isn't happy with a product or service is far more likely to be vociferous about it than someone who is happy. It's the first rule of customer service in any business.
That is true I bet there is a bunch of guys out there started reading this thread that have them and love them and just said moving on. I have heard nothing but good things about the p790s up until I start reading this thread. Hit what you like

It's weird. When this thread was in the 70s for page count people couldn't get enough of them and everyone was clamoring on about how backordered they were and how impatient they were getting in the wait. Now it's mostly complaints. I love mine now that I'm working out the feel differences from my previous set.

But, as others have noted, there's a reason Yelp, facebook reviews and google reviews are hard to use. People complain when they get terrible service but don't go out of their way to praise when the service is great. I've reviewed a few places online specifically because of this but know that I've gone out of my way for far more places to warn people of places that are a nightmare.

Here is the wear on the pw and 8i, estimate on rounds is 20 an decent amount of range time

Looks like you've hit too many 'range rocks' to me! Are others using that driving range seeing similar wear on their clubs? I know that some of those 'rock hard' range balls can be brutal on forged clubs, especially if you hit them when they are still wet from the ball washer and then become coated with sand when you dump them onto the ground.

Sorry that happened to your set!

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

i ordered standard length with modus 130s shafts. i complained to TM and they cannot (won't) build for a swing weight but do of course say each club should be uniform.

i also have midsize grips which probably affects SW too

FWIW, a pro i use told me i have the "tour heads" which i believe are lighter

i ordered standard length with modus 130s shafts. i complained to TM and they cannot (won't) build for a swing weight but do of course say each club should be uniform.

i also have midsize grips which probably affects SW too

FWIW, a pro i use told me i have the "tour heads" which i believe are lighter

Holy cow that's not good.

The modus is a pretty neutral balance point shaft but is one of the heavier shafts they offer. So even factoring in 1 sw for the midsize grip, it's hard to imagine being that far out.

So if like me you were looking for +1" with a Modus 105, then taking your heads the math would be roughly

+1 sw for standard 50g grip

+6 sw for +1"

-3 sw for 25g shaft weight change

TOTAL +4 SW

So that gets to D1 / D2 which is comfortably inside the D3 TM won't confirm they can build to at +1"

Here is the wear on the pw and 8i, estimate on rounds is 20 an decent amount of range time

I see you're located in Sarsota Florida...right outside of Tampa...and presumably on or around the Gulf Coast.

If I had to put money on it...given your location...you hit sandy range balls.

To put things into perspective...I've had my set since December, 2017.

I hit ~300 balls per week...play 2-3 rounds per week...and have been doing so each week since I bought these.

My P790s look nothing like yours...and mine look in-line with any other forged iron I've played.

The lack of SW confirmation and build is the only thing holding off me pulling the trigger. With Mizuno its never an issue through my custom provider. I think not being able to order the builds from my fitting with custom SW's will disallow me to order :-(

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

A decent amount of Range time hitting range balls will do it to just about any brand of clubs as Ive seen some brands worse after a decent amount of range time, but still that would upset me. Give TaylorMade a call maybe they will replace them, its worth a try.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip