We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Bryson DeChambeau Winning Again

124
5

Comments

  • disco111disco111  1133WRX Points: 247Members Posts: 1,133
    Joined:  #92
    In answer to what bluedot eluded to, as far as what pro's do. Well the OEM's latched on to that freight train many, many moons ago and joe sixpack has bought into that con job hook line and sinker. Moe's natural golf had it's time share in the public eye and some remnants still remain in today's game. Humans are / will always be looking for something easier / simpler / better and if it worked for one, it could / should work for other's. SL irons seemingly work for some folks, as testament from other threads. But it's not for everybody.



    Now for pinestreetgolf. I agree with the assessment that bad set ups will not make a good player. That part of the equation must be rectified, for any and all aspects of the golf swing to work correctly. But there are plenty of players that have gone past that stage and desire better results from a decent swing. Can SL give that to them? Apparently it can from stated reports and again, SL is not for everybody. I remember a statement that Ben Hogan made........."In the course of a round of golf, if I hit 4 or 5 shots as I intended, the rest are all acceptable misses". If SL gives you a better swing, then yes, that's better golf. At least IMO................

































    t
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • rawdograwdog Cleveland, OH 3022WRX Points: 133Members Posts: 3,022
    Joined:  #93

    rawdog wrote:


    The post saying golf "isn't rocket science" then saying it's harder is idiocracy.



    The phrase "it isn't rocket science" is traditionally used to say a task isn't that difficult. It implies easiness or simplicity. So to follow that statement up with "it's a helluva lot harder" makes zero sense.




    Right, its much harder than something easy or simple. Hence, "its harder than something that isn't rocket science" means that golf is harder than something easy i.e. its not easy.



    Come on man, understanding how these phrases work isn't rocket science. Wait...




    He's saying golf is harder than... golf?



    Huh?



    Posted:
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Aldila Rogue Black, 9.5*
    On -, @44.5"

    In1Zone Single Length Fairway Woods
    Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue
    On -, @41.5" 5W = 19*

    Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue
    On -, @41.5" 7W = 23*

    Cobra F7 One Length Irons
    Nippon Modus 105 Stiff @ 36.5"
    6I = 24* 7I = 29* 8I = 34* 9I = 39* PW = 44* GW = 49* SW = 54* LW = 59*
    Odyssey #9 HT Metal X Milled
    On -, @33.5"

    Maxfli SoftFli
  • NokeNoke  2193WRX Points: 249Members Posts: 2,193
    Joined:  #94

    I wrote:


    I wrote:
    danmurph wrote:


    No. Not a fan of Bryson at all. Do not like the way he goes about his business. This is golf not rocket science. And golf is a helluva lot harder
    Really? Golf is a lot harder then being a rocket science? How could you possibly understand Bryson’s way of thought. If you think golf is a lot easier then being a rocket scientist.




    Statistically speaking, making a living playing golf is WAY harder than as a rocket scientist. You have to be one of the best 1200 or so in the world to earn a great living at Golf. There’s that many rocket scientists working at NASA alone, not to mention the universities around the world.



    It’s not close. Golf is way harder.
    Comparing to world renown rocket scientist to world renown pro golfers and lets not forget the LPGA also, oh and the web, oh and also all the teachers. Yeah, your stats are off for sure. Can you honestly name 1200 world renown rocket scientist? I highly doubt it. I’m sure you can probably pull up 1200 PGA, LPGA, and semi pro golfers, and teachers that make a living off of golf. Anybody can say they golf or is a part of golf. But can anyone say they are a rocket scientist? Honestly, when have you heard someone tell they are a rocket scientist?




    I know several rocket scientists and I am a PhD student in Anthropology. Not even close to the same field. I know zero pro golfers. I don't even personally know any golfers that are better than a +1 and they wouldn't even sniff it on the Hooters tour. You're wrong on this. It's a lot easier to become "smart" than it is to become so physically gifted at muscle memory and timing that you can hit an inch wide ball with a 3 inch wide blade perfectly in the middle every time with a dead square club face with masterful distance control and launch parameters allowing the ball to get closer to the hole significantly more on average.




    Just because you don’t know any pro golfers and do happen to know a few rocket scientists (which makes sense since you’re a scientist) doesn’t mean golf is harder than rocket science.



    Is golf harder than brain surgery??? That’s the real question.
    Posted:
  • Snowman9000Snowman9000  1162WRX Points: 178Members Posts: 1,162
    Joined:  #95
    Another DeChambeau thread down the drain. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    Driver 915 D2
    5W Wilson Fybrid
    4h, 5h, 6h Adams Idea Tech 2015
    6-AW Snake Eyes Viper MS, graphite
    58º Callaway MD2 Forged S grind
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • NokeNoke  2193WRX Points: 249Members Posts: 2,193
    Joined:  edited Jun 13, 2018 #96

    I wrote:
    danmurph wrote:


    No. Not a fan of Bryson at all. Do not like the way he goes about his business. This is golf not rocket science. And golf is a helluva lot harder
    Really? Golf is a lot harder then being a rocket science? How could you possibly understand Bryson’s way of thought. If you think golf is a lot easier then being a rocket scientist.




    Statistically speaking, making a living playing golf is WAY harder than as a rocket scientist. You have to be one of the best 1200 or so in the world to earn a great living at Golf. There’s that many rocket scientists working at NASA alone, not to mention the universities around the world.



    It’s not close. Golf is way harder.




    In which field are there more job opportunities- rocket science or professional golf? How does that relate to either course if study being actually harder than the other? Harder for whom?



    I posed the question of which was more difficult (golf/rocket science) as a joke, as I’m not sure it’s answerable in any meaningful way.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • NokeNoke  2193WRX Points: 249Members Posts: 2,193
    Joined:  #97
    Here’s another hypothetical for my fellow SL dabblers: what do you think would be most beneficial, purely from a club standpoint, for the beginner to mid handicap player: a set of properly fitted single-length irons or a fitted all-hybrid set (like the Cleveland Launcher HB’s)?



    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • StrugglingproStrugglingpro  7WRX Points: 12Members Posts: 7
    Joined:  #98
    I have played single length irons for almost 35 years now. David Edel made me a custom set of Edel blacked out forged slight cavity back irons. I also just received the same exact specs of what Bryson Dechambeau used to win the amateur and the college nationals in The Brick Proto PUTTER. So excited. I was low on cash so I had it listed for 2000 but now I am gaming it. (I am blessed to have someone helping me with tournament fees). I don't know how to post pictures. But I think my setup is cool! And i guess that's the most important thing. Jk
    Posted:
  • rawdograwdog Cleveland, OH 3022WRX Points: 133Members Posts: 3,022
    Joined:  #99
    nohny noke wrote:


    Here's another hypothetical for my fellow SL dabblers: what do you think would be most beneficial, purely from a club standpoint, for the beginner to mid handicap player: a set of properly fitted single-length irons or a fitted all-hybrid set (like the Cleveland Launcher HB's)?




    Depends on swing speed.
    Posted:
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Aldila Rogue Black, 9.5*
    On -, @44.5"

    In1Zone Single Length Fairway Woods
    Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue
    On -, @41.5" 5W = 19*

    Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue
    On -, @41.5" 7W = 23*

    Cobra F7 One Length Irons
    Nippon Modus 105 Stiff @ 36.5"
    6I = 24* 7I = 29* 8I = 34* 9I = 39* PW = 44* GW = 49* SW = 54* LW = 59*
    Odyssey #9 HT Metal X Milled
    On -, @33.5"

    Maxfli SoftFli
  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Southern Ontario, Canada 2130WRX Points: 385Unregistered Posts: 2,130
    Joined:  #100
    nohny noke wrote:


    Here's another hypothetical for my fellow SL dabblers: what do you think would be most beneficial, purely from a club standpoint, for the beginner to mid handicap player: a set of properly fitted single-length irons or a fitted all-hybrid set (like the Cleveland Launcher HB's)?




    Too many variables to say from just this. I'd always argue that a set of hybrids is going to benefit a lot of players far more than any iron would. The MOI is much higher, the centre of gravity is lower, and the ball speed will be hotter. However, for someone who maybe hits the ball high with a lot of spin, or is a sweeper, rather than hitting down on it, the extra sole width could pose a problem. Having said that, when I worked my big box gig we were constantly sold out of the Launcher HBs because they are that good. The G700 from what I hear is trending in that direction as well.



    Forgiveness is always your friend.
    Posted:

    Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757
    Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85
    Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL
    Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold
    Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium

  • grantc79grantc79 New Orleans 625WRX Points: 178Members Posts: 625
    Joined:  #101
    Honestly I'd make the arguement for single length. What tees you play from can be governed by how hard you hit it.



    Unless you are a really low handicapper with a really low swing speed I would argue it doesn't KILL you to hit the ball shorter. I'm giving up 10-15 yards per club from 4-7 iron and still playing single length irons despite the distance loss due to the fact that I'd rather never have the errant shots (meaning dramatically off line) due to length and weight inconsistency.



    For the vast majority of people single length irons drastically tighten up dispersion which will lower scores. The random dead right and dead left shots pretty much go away from my experience.
    Posted:
    Ask me tomorrow. 
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf  3511WRX Points: 308Members Posts: 3,511
    Joined:  edited Jun 14, 2018 #102
    grantc79 wrote:


    Honestly I'd make the arguement for single length. What tees you play from can be governed by how hard you hit it.



    Unless you are a really low handicapper with a really low swing speed I would argue it doesn't KILL you to hit the ball shorter. I'm giving up 10-15 yards per club from 4-7 iron and still playing single length irons despite the distance loss due to the fact that I'd rather never have the errant shots (meaning dramatically off line) due to length and weight inconsistency.



    For the vast majority of people single length irons drastically tighten up dispersion which will lower scores. The random dead right and dead left shots pretty much go away from my experience.




    We've had this debate a million times, but I'll point it out again - dispersion tightens up when you're shorter because golf misses are in degrees.



    If I'm 2* open on a 180 yard 7 iron, it will miss by X. If I'm 2* open on a 155 yard 7 iron, it will miss by less than X. The further the ball travels more dispersion you have. That's how physics works.



    SL isn't making your dispersion tighter. Being shorter is making your dispersion tighter. You can't measure 7 versus 7. You have to measure yardage versus yardage. And the dispersions at 160 versus 160 will almost certainly be very similar.



    If you honestly think you now "never" have errant shots (eye roll) and that your errant shots with VL weren't your swing and were "length and weight inconsistency" then I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.
    Posted:
    Wilson Triton 10.5 Rogue 125 msi 60 X-Flex
    Adams Tight Lies Aldila RIP Beta 80 S-Flex cut to 42"
    j40 DPC 3-PW x100 SL
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 s300
    Edel Putter
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • NokeNoke  2193WRX Points: 249Members Posts: 2,193
    Joined:  #103
    grantc79 wrote:


    Honestly I'd make the arguement for single length. What tees you play from can be governed by how hard you hit it.



    Unless you are a really low handicapper with a really low swing speed I would argue it doesn't KILL you to hit the ball shorter. I'm giving up 10-15 yards per club from 4-7 iron and still playing single length irons despite the distance loss due to the fact that I'd rather never have the errant shots (meaning dramatically off line) due to length and weight inconsistency.



    For the vast majority of people single length irons drastically tighten up dispersion which will lower scores. The random dead right and dead left shots pretty much go away from my experience.




    Thanks for the input.



    Wouldn’t an all-hybrid set with its higher MOI also serve to keep mishit balls on-line?



    It’s been my experience that it does, and SL does basically the same thing for me as well due to more centered hits.



    So I’m torn. I have an all-hybrid set and an SL set. Guess I’ll need to play both for a season or so and see what shakes out.
    Posted:
  • NokeNoke  2193WRX Points: 249Members Posts: 2,193
    Joined:  #104

    grantc79 wrote:


    Honestly I'd make the arguement for single length. What tees you play from can be governed by how hard you hit it.



    Unless you are a really low handicapper with a really low swing speed I would argue it doesn't KILL you to hit the ball shorter. I'm giving up 10-15 yards per club from 4-7 iron and still playing single length irons despite the distance loss due to the fact that I'd rather never have the errant shots (meaning dramatically off line) due to length and weight inconsistency.



    For the vast majority of people single length irons drastically tighten up dispersion which will lower scores. The random dead right and dead left shots pretty much go away from my experience.




    We've had this debate a million times, but I'll point it out again - dispersion tightens up when you're shorter because golf misses are in degrees.



    If I'm 2* open on a 180 yard 7 iron, it will miss by X. If I'm 2* open on a 155 yard 7 iron, it will miss by less than X. The further the ball travels more dispersion you have. That's how physics works.



    SL isn't making your dispersion tighter. Being shorter is making your dispersion tighter. You can't measure 7 versus 7. You have to measure yardage versus yardage. And the dispersions at 160 versus 160 will almost certainly be very similar.



    If you honestly think you now "never" have errant shots (eye roll) and that your errant shots with VL weren't your swing and were "length and weight inconsistency" then I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.




    Never having an errant shot is a long time.



    But I could definitely see the case for a properly fit and exactly MOI matched set of irons helping to increase the chances for on-center hits. Which- might not exactly mean a tighter dispersion, but it would reduce gear effect and it’s effects on ball flight. Then there are the psychological impacts of feeling like you’re swinging the same club from 5-LW.



    And for me personally, my SL set essentially travels the same distances as my VL set, mostly due to the low lofted SL irons/hybrid being high COR.
    Posted:
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf  3511WRX Points: 308Members Posts: 3,511
    Joined:  #105
    nohny noke wrote:


    grantc79 wrote:


    Honestly I'd make the arguement for single length. What tees you play from can be governed by how hard you hit it.



    Unless you are a really low handicapper with a really low swing speed I would argue it doesn't KILL you to hit the ball shorter. I'm giving up 10-15 yards per club from 4-7 iron and still playing single length irons despite the distance loss due to the fact that I'd rather never have the errant shots (meaning dramatically off line) due to length and weight inconsistency.



    For the vast majority of people single length irons drastically tighten up dispersion which will lower scores. The random dead right and dead left shots pretty much go away from my experience.




    We've had this debate a million times, but I'll point it out again - dispersion tightens up when you're shorter because golf misses are in degrees.



    If I'm 2* open on a 180 yard 7 iron, it will miss by X. If I'm 2* open on a 155 yard 7 iron, it will miss by less than X. The further the ball travels more dispersion you have. That's how physics works.



    SL isn't making your dispersion tighter. Being shorter is making your dispersion tighter. You can't measure 7 versus 7. You have to measure yardage versus yardage. And the dispersions at 160 versus 160 will almost certainly be very similar.



    If you honestly think you now "never" have errant shots (eye roll) and that your errant shots with VL weren't your swing and were "length and weight inconsistency" then I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.




    Never having an errant shot is a long time.



    But I could definitely see the case for a properly fit and exactly MOI matched set of irons helping to increase the chances for on-center hits. Which- might not exactly mean a tighter dispersion, but it would reduce gear effect and it's effects on ball flight. Then there are the psychological impacts of feeling like you're swinging the same club from 5-LW.



    And for me personally, my SL set essentially travels the same distances as my VL set, mostly due to the low lofted SL irons/hybrid being high COR.




    Oh, I totally agree that there can be more accurate clubs with less dispersion for a golfer for sure. I just think a lot of people get fooled. They think they've gotten shorter and more accurate when all they've gotten is shorter. Given his comment about "never" having a mis-hit, I suspect his brain might be distorting his results a bit.



    I play SL in my short clubs. For some reason, I feel very uncomfortable with a short low lofted club. I'm not saying the idea can't work, I just swing too hard and lose path because it doesn't feel right.



    It wasn't a knock on SL, but his post in particular.
    Posted:
    Wilson Triton 10.5 Rogue 125 msi 60 X-Flex
    Adams Tight Lies Aldila RIP Beta 80 S-Flex cut to 42"
    j40 DPC 3-PW x100 SL
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 s300
    Edel Putter
  • grantc79grantc79 New Orleans 625WRX Points: 178Members Posts: 625
    Joined:  #106

    grantc79 wrote:


    Honestly I'd make the arguement for single length. What tees you play from can be governed by how hard you hit it.



    Unless you are a really low handicapper with a really low swing speed I would argue it doesn't KILL you to hit the ball shorter. I'm giving up 10-15 yards per club from 4-7 iron and still playing single length irons despite the distance loss due to the fact that I'd rather never have the errant shots (meaning dramatically off line) due to length and weight inconsistency.



    For the vast majority of people single length irons drastically tighten up dispersion which will lower scores. The random dead right and dead left shots pretty much go away from my experience.




    We've had this debate a million times, but I'll point it out again - dispersion tightens up when you're shorter because golf misses are in degrees.



    If I'm 2* open on a 180 yard 7 iron, it will miss by X. If I'm 2* open on a 155 yard 7 iron, it will miss by less than X. The further the ball travels more dispersion you have. That's how physics works.



    SL isn't making your dispersion tighter. Being shorter is making your dispersion tighter. You can't measure 7 versus 7. You have to measure yardage versus yardage. And the dispersions at 160 versus 160 will almost certainly be very similar.



    If you honestly think you now "never" have errant shots (eye roll) and that your errant shots with VL weren't your swing and were "length and weight inconsistency" then I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.




    It is a combination of both but I think you are missing a variable.



    For me and from everyone I've seen try it and from all the video reviews online the dispersion tightens up dramatically across the board.



    Obviously if you miss a 100 yard shot it won't have the ability to travel as far off line because its not going as far as a 200 yard shot. That said, my 200 yard shots with single length don't vary anywhere near as much as my 200 yard shots with variable length. This is despite the fact that I gotta hit a 4 iron with a single length set and a 5 iron with variable length.



    The length of the shaft plays a huge role in that because frankly I just don't mishit many and when I do mishit them its a lot more minor.



    As soon as I transition to my driving iron, fairway wood, or driver the degree of misses goes up pretty dramatically due to the length of the shaft on the club.



    If you haven't tried it you might not get where I'm coming from but its a fact.
    Posted:
    Ask me tomorrow. 
  • grantc79grantc79 New Orleans 625WRX Points: 178Members Posts: 625
    Joined:  edited Jun 15, 2018 #107

    nohny noke wrote:


    grantc79 wrote:


    Honestly I'd make the arguement for single length. What tees you play from can be governed by how hard you hit it.



    Unless you are a really low handicapper with a really low swing speed I would argue it doesn't KILL you to hit the ball shorter. I'm giving up 10-15 yards per club from 4-7 iron and still playing single length irons despite the distance loss due to the fact that I'd rather never have the errant shots (meaning dramatically off line) due to length and weight inconsistency.



    For the vast majority of people single length irons drastically tighten up dispersion which will lower scores. The random dead right and dead left shots pretty much go away from my experience.




    We've had this debate a million times, but I'll point it out again - dispersion tightens up when you're shorter because golf misses are in degrees.



    If I'm 2* open on a 180 yard 7 iron, it will miss by X. If I'm 2* open on a 155 yard 7 iron, it will miss by less than X. The further the ball travels more dispersion you have. That's how physics works.



    SL isn't making your dispersion tighter. Being shorter is making your dispersion tighter. You can't measure 7 versus 7. You have to measure yardage versus yardage. And the dispersions at 160 versus 160 will almost certainly be very similar.



    If you honestly think you now "never" have errant shots (eye roll) and that your errant shots with VL weren't your swing and were "length and weight inconsistency" then I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.




    Never having an errant shot is a long time.



    But I could definitely see the case for a properly fit and exactly MOI matched set of irons helping to increase the chances for on-center hits. Which- might not exactly mean a tighter dispersion, but it would reduce gear effect and it's effects on ball flight. Then there are the psychological impacts of feeling like you're swinging the same club from 5-LW.



    And for me personally, my SL set essentially travels the same distances as my VL set, mostly due to the low lofted SL irons/hybrid being high COR.




    Oh, I totally agree that there can be more accurate clubs with less dispersion for a golfer for sure. I just think a lot of people get fooled. They think they've gotten shorter and more accurate when all they've gotten is shorter. Given his comment about "never" having a mis-hit, I suspect his brain might be distorting his results a bit.



    I play SL in my short clubs. For some reason, I feel very uncomfortable with a short low lofted club. I'm not saying the idea can't work, I just swing too hard and lose path because it doesn't feel right.






    That is where the disconnect is for us.



    In my opinion single length wedges help a little because its easy to hit chip shots with any length club IMO. Also when you are practicing the same thing over and over again with all the clubs swinging less hard at a wedge becomes easy as can be.



    Where my game truly changed is single length 4-6 irons because I feel like I'm cheating on tough driving holes and tight shots. I simply pull out my single length longer iron and smash it without much fear at all of hitting it WAY off line. With a hybrid in my hands off the tee or even a variable length 4 iron I have my concerns about massively errant shots.



    Also I went single plane single length which made a huge difference as well.



    https://www.youtube....h?v=NnikseVFSWA
    Posted:
    Ask me tomorrow. 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf  3511WRX Points: 308Members Posts: 3,511
    Joined:  edited Jun 15, 2018 #108
    grantc79 wrote:


    That is where the disconnect is for us.



    In my opinion single length wedges help a little because its easy to hit chip shots with any length club IMO. Also when you are practicing the same thing over and over again with all the clubs swinging less hard at a wedge becomes easy as can be.



    Where my game truly changed is single length 4-6 irons because I feel like I'm cheating on tough driving holes and tight shots. I simply pull out my single length longer iron and smash it without much fear at all of hitting it WAY off line. With a hybrid in my hands off the tee or even a variable length 4 iron I have my concerns about massively errant shots.



    Also I went single plane single length which made a huge difference as well.



    https://www.youtube....h?v=NnikseVFSWA




    I don't need as much hip hinge and I can stand further away from the ball. Everything 8 iron and lower is 36" 64.5* lie. I don't find it easy as can be. I find it pretty difficult to hit VL wedges variable distances. I find the clock system to hit intermediate yardage to be much easier with SL clubs (the heads are all weighted up to around 340 grams as well). I'm not much of a feel player in the wedge game. I like it to be really mechanical as far as length backswing to yardage, and SL really helps with that.



    You have an excellent wedge swing, especially your path. Its hard to tell a bit b/c of the camera angle not being directly behind or to the side of you but impact is solid. I'm not saying if you gave me a 35.5" sand wedge I'd just shoot 90, but I find a long club more comfortable around the greens.



    Different strokes different folks. I've tried SL and I like the concept in my short irons. I just don't feel right hitting a SL long iron. Had a I learned to play on them that might be different.
    Posted:
    Wilson Triton 10.5 Rogue 125 msi 60 X-Flex
    Adams Tight Lies Aldila RIP Beta 80 S-Flex cut to 42"
    j40 DPC 3-PW x100 SL
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 s300
    Edel Putter
  • grantc79grantc79 New Orleans 625WRX Points: 178Members Posts: 625
    Joined:  edited Jun 15, 2018 #109

    grantc79 wrote:


    That is where the disconnect is for us.



    In my opinion single length wedges help a little because its easy to hit chip shots with any length club IMO. Also when you are practicing the same thing over and over again with all the clubs swinging less hard at a wedge becomes easy as can be.



    Where my game truly changed is single length 4-6 irons because I feel like I'm cheating on tough driving holes and tight shots. I simply pull out my single length longer iron and smash it without much fear at all of hitting it WAY off line. With a hybrid in my hands off the tee or even a variable length 4 iron I have my concerns about massively errant shots.



    Also I went single plane single length which made a huge difference as well.



    https://www.youtube....h?v=NnikseVFSWA




    I don't need as much hip hinge and I can stand further away from the ball. Everything 8 iron and lower is 36" 64.5* lie. I don't find it easy as can be. I find it pretty difficult to hit VL wedges variable distances. I find the clock system to hit intermediate yardage to be much easier with SL clubs (the heads are all weighted up to around 340 grams as well). I'm not much of a feel player in the wedge game. I like it to be really mechanical as far as length backswing to yardage, and SL really helps with that.



    You have an excellent wedge swing, especially your path. Its hard to tell a bit b/c of the camera angle not being directly behind or to the side of you but impact is solid. I'm not saying if you gave me a 35.5" sand wedge I'd just shoot 90, but I find a long club more comfortable around the greens.



    Different strokes different folks. I've tried SL and I like the concept in my short irons. I just don't feel right hitting a SL long iron. Had a I learned to play on them that might be different.




    My issue is single length single plane really solved a lot of problems for me but it created one huge problem which im choosing to live with.



    When you go single plane single length everything gets very repetitive and robotic which I really like better because with two small kids I don't have time to be a "feel" player. If I was hitting balls all day and working on my game I would feel differently but I need it to feel robotic and repetitive because I know my tempo and other things will start getting wacky which with plane shifts and different length clubs can wind up having disasterous results.



    However single length single plane I feel like I can rip at stuff and not worry about getting the truly awful results.



    That said when I deviate and have balls that aren't tee'd up I can run into issues because it changes from the norm that I get so engrained in. The clubs that I actively use are driver off the tee which is about 265 carry down to an old bridgestone driving iron which I carry about 210. I don't have much trust in anything in between that I contact the ground with because the plane changes and I impact the ground.
    Posted:
    Ask me tomorrow. 
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf  3511WRX Points: 308Members Posts: 3,511
    Joined:  edited Jun 15, 2018 #110
    grantc79 wrote:


    grantc79 wrote:


    That is where the disconnect is for us.



    In my opinion single length wedges help a little because its easy to hit chip shots with any length club IMO. Also when you are practicing the same thing over and over again with all the clubs swinging less hard at a wedge becomes easy as can be.



    Where my game truly changed is single length 4-6 irons because I feel like I'm cheating on tough driving holes and tight shots. I simply pull out my single length longer iron and smash it without much fear at all of hitting it WAY off line. With a hybrid in my hands off the tee or even a variable length 4 iron I have my concerns about massively errant shots.



    Also I went single plane single length which made a huge difference as well.



    https://www.youtube....h?v=NnikseVFSWA




    I don't need as much hip hinge and I can stand further away from the ball. Everything 8 iron and lower is 36" 64.5* lie. I don't find it easy as can be. I find it pretty difficult to hit VL wedges variable distances. I find the clock system to hit intermediate yardage to be much easier with SL clubs (the heads are all weighted up to around 340 grams as well). I'm not much of a feel player in the wedge game. I like it to be really mechanical as far as length backswing to yardage, and SL really helps with that.



    You have an excellent wedge swing, especially your path. Its hard to tell a bit b/c of the camera angle not being directly behind or to the side of you but impact is solid. I'm not saying if you gave me a 35.5" sand wedge I'd just shoot 90, but I find a long club more comfortable around the greens.



    Different strokes different folks. I've tried SL and I like the concept in my short irons. I just don't feel right hitting a SL long iron. Had a I learned to play on them that might be different.




    My issue is single length single plane really solved a lot of problems for me but it created one huge problem which im choosing to live with.



    When you go single plane single length everything gets very repetitive and robotic which I really like better because with two small kids I don't have time to be a "feel" player. If I was hitting balls all day and working on my game I would feel differently but I need it to feel robotic and repetitive because I know my tempo and other things will start getting wacky which with plane shifts and different length clubs can wind up having disasterous results.



    However single length single plane I feel like I can rip at stuff and not worry about getting the truly awful results.



    That said when I deviate and have balls that aren't tee'd up I can run into issues because it changes from the norm that I get so engrained in. The clubs that I actively use are driver off the tee which is about 265 carry down to an old bridgestone driving iron which I carry about 210. I don't have much trust in anything in between that I contact the ground with because the plane changes and I impact the ground.




    On another topic.... we're both from New Orleans! Where do you play out of? I'm a member at TPC, but play where-ever. Lets get a round in sometime.



    I have a 10 month old, so I totally get where you are coming from. I've been thinking about giving SL another go since I have so much less time to practice.



    Its an interesting concept for sure. Going one plane is, like you said, only possible off the tee. I play my clubs extremely upright and feel like the only thing that moves is my arms. Now on video of course that isn't the case but its a good feel for me to strike the ball well. Otherwise i dip my right side and spin out and all sorts of other horrible things.



    EDIT -



    Who dat. Season ticket holder since 06. Section 706. When Hartley hit that kick I went nuts for like a week. I ended up playing a few rounds with him. Great guy.
    Posted:
    Wilson Triton 10.5 Rogue 125 msi 60 X-Flex
    Adams Tight Lies Aldila RIP Beta 80 S-Flex cut to 42"
    j40 DPC 3-PW x100 SL
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 s300
    Edel Putter
  • bluedotbluedot  3556WRX Points: 290Members Posts: 3,556
    Joined:  #111
    I have tried to make the points several times in this thread that we know only what DeChambeau is doing this way, not what he would be doing another way, and also that what you see a professional athlete doing is not necessarily something that you can learn from; you may not be able to do what they do.



    And now word comes that DeChambeau is using a compass (like the ones used by Prince Henry the Navigator, not the one you had in Boy Scouts) to more accurately plot the pin positions. For the time being at least, this is legal. Whether or not it is deranged, I'll leave to each to decide on their own.



    He's a different guy, who does things, ALL things differently while listening to a particular drummer that you and I can't hear. Your mileage may vary...
    Posted:
  • MuniPukeLifeMuniPukeLife MuniPuke  167WRX Points: 66Members Posts: 167
    Joined:  #112
    We call him the Tin Man.
    Posted:
    M3 460 
    M4 Tour 
    P790 UDI 2, TP UDI 3, 716 AP2 4-PW 
    SM6 53S, 58M 
    Select Newport 2
    Kirkland Signature
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ode1ode1  2888WRX Points: 172Members Posts: 2,888
    Joined:  #113
    Like we need to give Jim Nantz any more material....it's barely tolerable as is!
    Posted:
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf  3511WRX Points: 308Members Posts: 3,511
    Joined:  #114
    bluedot wrote:


    I have tried to make the points several times in this thread that we know only what DeChambeau is doing this way, not what he would be doing another way, and also that what you see a professional athlete doing is not necessarily something that you can learn from; you may not be able to do what they do.



    And now word comes that DeChambeau is using a compass (like the ones used by Prince Henry the Navigator, not the one you had in Boy Scouts) to more accurately plot the pin positions. For the time being at least, this is legal. Whether or not it is deranged, I'll leave to each to decide on their own.



    He's a different guy, who does things, ALL things differently while listening to a particular drummer that you and I can't hear. Your mileage may vary...




    Maybe instead of emulating literally, exactly what he does, we should strive to emulate his spirit: he thinks out of the box with his goal the lowest score possible, and he doesn't care if other people think he looks stupid. I don't think using a compass would work for me necessarily, or 71* lie angle irons, but the singular pursuit of your best possible game regardless of tradition or self-consciousness is a great thing to emulate IMO.
    Posted:
    Wilson Triton 10.5 Rogue 125 msi 60 X-Flex
    Adams Tight Lies Aldila RIP Beta 80 S-Flex cut to 42"
    j40 DPC 3-PW x100 SL
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 s300
    Edel Putter
  • bluedotbluedot  3556WRX Points: 290Members Posts: 3,556
    Joined:  #115

    bluedot wrote:


    I have tried to make the points several times in this thread that we know only what DeChambeau is doing this way, not what he would be doing another way, and also that what you see a professional athlete doing is not necessarily something that you can learn from; you may not be able to do what they do.



    And now word comes that DeChambeau is using a compass (like the ones used by Prince Henry the Navigator, not the one you had in Boy Scouts) to more accurately plot the pin positions. For the time being at least, this is legal. Whether or not it is deranged, I'll leave to each to decide on their own.



    He's a different guy, who does things, ALL things differently while listening to a particular drummer that you and I can't hear. Your mileage may vary...




    Maybe instead of emulating literally, exactly what he does, we should strive to emulate his spirit: he thinks out of the box with his goal the lowest score possible, and he doesn't care if other people think he looks stupid. I don't think using a compass would work for me necessarily, or 71* lie angle irons, but the singular pursuit of your best possible game regardless of tradition or self-consciousness is a great thing to emulate IMO.




    With this, I agree 100%.



    I've been putting face on/side saddle for three years now; I wanted to see if I could make more putts, and I do. The reactions I get early in a round are often very different from the reactions that I get later in the round, and really good players never bat an eye; it's the chops who lose their mind when they see me putt.
    Posted:
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1  750WRX Points: 150Members Posts: 750
    Joined:  #116

    bluedot wrote:


    I have tried to make the points several times in this thread that we know only what DeChambeau is doing this way, not what he would be doing another way, and also that what you see a professional athlete doing is not necessarily something that you can learn from; you may not be able to do what they do.



    And now word comes that DeChambeau is using a compass (like the ones used by Prince Henry the Navigator, not the one you had in Boy Scouts) to more accurately plot the pin positions. For the time being at least, this is legal. Whether or not it is deranged, I'll leave to each to decide on their own.



    He's a different guy, who does things, ALL things differently while listening to a particular drummer that you and I can't hear. Your mileage may vary...




    Maybe instead of emulating literally, exactly what he does, we should strive to emulate his spirit: he thinks out of the box with his goal the lowest score possible, and he doesn't care if other people think he looks stupid. I don't think using a compass would work for me necessarily, or 71* lie angle irons, but the singular pursuit of your best possible game regardless of tradition or self-consciousness is a great thing to emulate IMO.




    This is what has happened now with putting. People are finally realizing that the "perfect textbook" grip or putting stroke is not right for everyone. And now that thought is slowly flowing over to other aspects of the game because a lot of new golf instructors are more open minded about someone's natural swing plane.
    Posted:
    WITB

    PXG  0811x Oban Tour Limited 04
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    PXG 0317 19 Hybrid Fujikura Pro 2.0 s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    PXG 0211 irons 5-G True Temper Elevate 95 S (1°flat 1°weak D4)
    PING Glide 3.0 TS 56/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    PING Glide 3.0 SS 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    PXG Mustang 365g single bend
    Snell MTB Black
  • BadshaftBadshaft  139WRX Points: 80Members Posts: 139
    Joined:  #117


    I have played single length irons for almost 35 years now. David Edel made me a custom set of Edel blacked out forged slight cavity back irons. I also just received the same exact specs of what Bryson Dechambeau used to win the amateur and the college nationals in The Brick Proto PUTTER. So excited. I was low on cash so I had it listed for 2000 but now I am gaming it. (I am blessed to have someone helping me with tournament fees). I don't know how to post pictures. But I think my setup is cool! And i guess that's the most important thing. Jk




    -Would love to see a picture of those clubs - I have been to Edel in Liberty Hills and was fitted - What a super bunch of folks- Hoping to get my SL set ordered from them after the summer



    -They have Brysons original set that he won the amateur on display there-



    Good Luck to you- I hope you make it
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-Maryland 2435WRX Points: 1,034Members Posts: 2,435
    Joined:  #118
    nohny noke wrote:




    Just because you don't know any pro golfers and do happen to know a few rocket scientists (which makes sense since you're a scientist) doesn't mean golf is harder than rocket science.



    Is golf harder than brain surgery??? That's the real question.




    I used to play golf with a bunch of guys from NASA who were fond of saying that rocket science wasn't 'rocket science'.
    Posted:
  • ronnbeeronnbee  1118WRX Points: 99Members Posts: 1,118
    Joined:  #119
    classy handshake sunday
    Posted:
  • mn723mn723  423WRX Points: 84Members Posts: 423
    Joined:  #120
    ronnbee wrote:


    classy handshake sunday




    I’ve tried to find a way to like DeChambeau, but his handshake on the 18th green yesterday sealed the deal..... he’s a piece of work. It’s hard for me to root against a golfer, but I think I’ll do so for Bryson going forward.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver
    Ping G 5 and 7 woods
    Cobra Fly-Z Pro 4-GW irons
    Cobra King 56* & 60* wedges
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    TaylorMade Tour Preferred X ball
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • AndersUKAndersUK  247WRX Points: 58Members Posts: 247
    Joined:  #121
    mn723 wrote:

    ronnbee wrote:


    classy handshake sunday




    I've tried to find a way to like DeChambeau, but his handshake on the 18th green yesterday sealed the deal..... he's a piece of work. It's hard for me to root against a golfer, but I think I'll do so for Bryson going forward.




    Agree entirely. I expect he was very embarrassed by his performance the last few holes and that was his immature way of handling it. His fellow competitor deserved much better.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 9* PX Even Flow 65 6.0
    Callaway Rogue 15* PX Even Flow 75 6.0
    Titleist 818 H2 19*, PX Even Flow 85 6.0
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, XP95 X100
    Miura C Wedges 55* & 59*, DG S400
    Scotty Select Newport 2.6
    Z Star XV / TP5X
5

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.