So, how good of a putter are you, really? (Loooong!)

BH,

I concur with Juan. From everything you are giving us, this just has to be aim/alignment/face at impact. Do the drill Juan mentioned and see what the results are. I have a hunch it will be difficult and we will have drilled down your issue to where we can attack it. Personally, I'm thinking three things here:

1. Your putter is probably a very bad fit for your eye dominance and aim bias

2. There *might be a stroke issue, but I have my doubts about this, especially for someone with your skill in other areas and distance control that you mentioned

3. You really are a +2 and this issue is going to get sorted out really quickly, allowing you to crush your current playing goals and set bigger and better ones!

Keep the "faith." Stories like yours (in this case your's specifically!) are why I started this thread, and I am genuinely excited to hear the story of the first round you play where you putt well and shoot a 65 (or better, lol)!!!

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This spreadsheet might be the single best thing I've found on golfwrx. Thanks!

Thank you! Please use it, or give it to others, and track your putts. Sure, there are tendencies that this doesn't track (do you tend to leave uphill right to left putts short?). But, for a 10,000' view of your putting, it's a really great way to see what's going on, all while only having to write down the length of your putts during your round. Without a putting specific stat record (and no, putts/round doesn't count and putts/GIR isn't much better), you really are just blindly throwing lawn darts trying to become a better putter.

And for me, the coolest part of this was finding out from what distance range I really was a very good putter. The confidence boost that this knowledge gave me allows me to quickly overcome a poor putting outcome and perform well, even on the very next hole. In the past, I would have started to self doubt, over-correct, and generally just mentally sabotage myself. Now I know I can perform, even under tournament pressure, so a poor outcome doesn't even phase me.

Thank you again for the kind words and please post up your numbers after you have a few rounds in!

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 

[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

BH,

I concur with Juan. From everything you are giving us, this just has to be aim/alignment/face at impact. Do the drill Juan mentioned and see what the results are. I have a hunch it will be difficult and we will have drilled down your issue to where we can attack it. Personally, I'm thinking three things here:

1. Your putter is probably a very bad fit for your eye dominance and aim bias

2. There *might be a stroke issue, but I have my doubts about this, especially for someone with your skill in other areas and distance control that you mentioned

3. You really are a +2 and this issue is going to get sorted out really quickly, allowing you to crush your current playing goals and set bigger and better ones!

Keep the "faith." Stories like yours (in this case your's specifically!) are why I started this thread, and I am genuinely excited to hear the story of the first round you play where you putt well and shoot a 65 (or better, lol)!!!

Thanks dan. I’ve got some whine in me. But zero quit. I don’t have sense enough to quit. Lol.

I have this hurdle and I’m guessing I’m roughly 80% or less maxed out in Driver potential most days. I’m working hard on that end as welll.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

SORRY THIS IS SO SMALL.... I do not know how to fix it

Here are my thoughts as I break down what you are saying into the four parts of a putting, PLUS the mental part.

Green Reading, Aiming the putter , Stroke and Distance Control are the four parts according to one instructor.

Distance Control: You wrote that on the 15 footers you were consistently close – with no tendency to be either long or short. That is a good start. As anyone who is a good putter is good at distance control.

So here is where I think something does not add up for me. You made only 1 out of 65 putts with an 8 inch break at 15 feet. You should be making at least 20% or 13 putts… and possibly more if you are hitting them from the same spot to the same target.

There are TOO many possibilities at this point to offer you solid advice, so here is what I suggest you try next.

Go out to the putting green with an Elevated String Line. Here is a link to an example, if you are not familiar with the elevated string line.

If you do not own or do not want to buy something like this, get two tall pencils and about 20 feet of string. Look for a 15 foot straight putt. Then put one pencil in the ground 3 feet behind where you are going to start your putt and the other just behind the center of the hole. Make sure the line between these two pencils is taut. Now set up the ball directly under the line. When you hit the putt it should go under this line and stay under the line for the entire 15 feet… and drop into the hole. IF you can do this consistently then your stroke, and aim are pretty solid. While you may think you have chosen a straight putt, it may be off slightly, so just change your starting point. If the putt breaks left, more the starting point left until it is a straight putt, or course if it breaks right, move the starting point right..

My hunch is this might be challenging for you. Anyways let me know how this goes. If you have any questions shoot me a PM and I will answer within the day.

Looking forward into time… Now once you can putt the entire string line on that straight putt consistently, set up the same situation with a breaking putt. This time instead of the second pencil being centered behind the cup, place it to the right or left of the back of the cup, at the distance you think the putt Is going to break. In the example you shared, the pencil would be 8 inches to the right of the cup.

As a side note: At 4 feet, you said once you had the read, you made the putt consistently. Well at 4 feet you can aim the putter incorrectly and still make a putt since the margin of error is so big. Or you can aim the putter correctly but have a clubface or path that is not aligned to the path the ball needs to take AND you can still make the putt. At 10 feet if your aim is off 1 degree, you will miss an absolutely straight putt. If you want to check this out go back to your high school geometry to check on how much you have to be off from a 10 foot or 15 foot putt to miss the hole. The answer is NOT a lot!!

Thank you. I will give this a try today.

And for more info. I'm sure is my aim as well. I'm extremely left eye dominant righty. So I have trouble seeing he line at address. As in most days I cannot tell you where the face is aimed. Currently not using the line on the ball for more than 6/8 feet or so as it's also very hard for me to decide on a line form that far back from behind the ball. I just don't " see" it. What I mean by that if from 2-8 ft or so I can actually see or imagine the line the ball will roll on. And I'm pretty accurate. Sometimes I miss that line. But a misread is pretty rare. After that it's like I'm blind. So i try to putt by feel. If that makes any sense.its so bad that I've alwasy treated this length as just a lag putt. Really was shocked at what the make percentage was when I first read it. Can't imagjne making 1 out of 5.

This is fascinating to me. 1 out of 65 is almost impossible to do without trying. Here is what I would do:

Go to the putting green and find a 15' putt. Take two tees and go to the hole. Measure two putter heads from each side of the hole and put a tee in the ground to the side (based on where you're putting from). That will give you a window between the tees that is about 5 holes wide (or 20"). Now go back to your 15' putt spot and try to get the ball rolling about a foot by the hole and passing within the tees. If you can do that, just by the law of averages, you'll make about 20% of the putts you hit. On a 15' putt that's all you have to do is roll it close and sometimes it will go in. If you can't do that, then it's time to start thinking about why. Do you generally miss short or long? Left or right? Some combination of those? i.e. short and low together with long and high. Then let us know how that goes.

And obviously do what Juan said too.

Thanks for the interest. I actually use a similar drill. I just use two balls instead. And regularly roll the putt between them. It helps lag for sure. But I don’t see them fall.

I think another variable is that I play on Bermuda. And they are nice greens. But with summer grain it’s hard to ever hit two putts that will roll the same. A small change in pace will cause a ball to take the break and dive across the hole etc. and too much it will miss straight high side. I’m not leaving the putts outside a 2 ft circle very often. I’m just not hitting the hole.

I say all that to say. When I do play away on bent grass , once I get used to reading less break I do make more or scare the hole more often. So I know it’s also a factor.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Put yesterday's numbers in the spreadsheet (1st Rd recorded). Not sure how to attach copy of spreadsheet to this post. -2.38 strokes gained putting, score 71 (1 under), 15 GIR, 32 putts with 2 three putts.

Below is the summary chart. I have been putting better (more good putts) over the last 5 or 6 rounds. Before when I practiced, I kept practicing a stroke that never showed up on the course on medium to short putts - lot of hand travel relative to putter head travel. Have changed set up so I have a little shaft lean at address, increase shaft lean on backstroke (less hand travel relative to putter head travel), putter head gets off the ground more. Overall quicker tempo and crisper stroke. I am now getting more putts to the hole. So now I practice with the stroke that shows up on the course. Hopefully improvement will continue. Would love to get on the positive side of SGP. Would give me a lot more rounds at par or better.

Thanks for keeping this going - Bruce

Putting Distance Total Shots Per Shot 0-4 feet -1.12 18 -0.06 5-8 ft -0.67 1 -0.67 9-15 ft -0.32 4 -0.08 16-30 ft -0.16 8 -0.02 31-45 ft -0.11 1 -0.11 >46 ft 0.00 0 #DIV/0!

Put yesterday's numbers in the spreadsheet (1st Rd recorded). Not sure how to attach copy of spreadsheet to this post. -2.38 strokes gained putting, score 71 (1 under), 15 GIR, 32 putts with 2 three putts.

Below is the summary chart. I have been putting better (more good putts) over the last 5 or 6 rounds. Before when I practiced, I kept practicing a stroke that never showed up on the course on medium to short putts - lot of hand travel relative to putter head travel. Have changed set up so I have a little shaft lean at address, increase shaft lean on backstroke (less hand travel relative to putter head travel), putter head gets off the ground more. Overall quicker tempo and crisper stroke. I am now getting more putts to the hole. So now I practice with the stroke that shows up on the course. Hopefully improvement will continue. Would love to get on the positive side of SGP. Would give me a lot more rounds at par or better.

Thanks for keeping this going - Bruce

Putting

Distance Total Shots Per Shot

0-4 ft -1.12 18 -0.06

5-8 ft -0.67 1 -0.67

9-15 ft -0.32 4 -0.08

16-30 ft -0.16 8 -0.02

31-45 ft -0.11 1 -0.11

>46 ft 0.00 0 #DIV/0!

Bruce,

This is great!! I'd caution against trying to get too much information from just one round, but when you look at it, it should give you some clues. The first thing that I see is pretty good speed control, as evidenced by your solid numbers outside of 8'. But that also makes me think you didn't make anything from this range really. Not that you consistently should, but out of the 13 putts from that range, we'd like to see one go in somewhere. Anyhow, that's why it's best to look at multiple round numbers, I feel. This round feels like one where if you made all the 4'ers and shorter, you would have shot 68, which is pretty darn good, all things considered!

Congrats on finding a stroke that is more transferable and repeatable, that's great news! Please, keep putting these into the spreadsheet and sharing, it's a great exercise for all of us!

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 

LOl. I take pics of my laptop screen. Like a cave man. Sorry. I’m the wrong idiot to ask. But just wanted you to know my method.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So. I had about 30 min time before my normal Friday 9.

Setup the straight putt string and pretty quickly saw that I missed left most often. Not much. But a pull. Adjusted ball position a touch back toward center and poof. Straight. My stroke is mostly straight back and through. So it’s nevwr out many degrees. I don’t intentionally open and close it. So small adjustments in ball position make a big change.

I thought aboot this after I posted here last and knew that might be my findings. Reason was I had noticed lately I prefer a fade putt vs a right t left or draw putt. Stands to reason just a pull would work best for a left to right putt as it may hold line longer. And opposite for a draw putt. I couldn’t start them high enough.

Now here’s the rub. On that straight putt. I started making them. A lot of them.

Then I moved to a putt that broke. Still not making many.

I’m 100% certain it’s the reads though. As in I’ve got t get used to not pulling it.

Went to the course and played a down 9 to tune up for tomorrow’s Saturday dogfight. Shot a pretty smooth 36 wtih a double and 2 birds. Shanked my approach ob on 2 tomake the double. Lol. Doesn’t bother me. Every blue moon I’ll hit one. Always on a ball above my feet lie.

I 1 putted the first 4 greens. Party due to pitching the ball twice to a foot. But also made 2 6 footers that weren’t straight. Total putts for that 9 was 13.

Didn’t make anything over 6 ft stilll. But I came very close on 3 longer than 10.

So I believe what I need is more time with the string drill to cement ball position and just more tries at it. Sound like it makes sense ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I am struggling again to type this.... so I may have to paste in the text from another program. FANTASTIC you found that Ball Position is an issue for you that you have corrected. While you try to keep the putter face square to the line, with your stroke, and the putter head moves it will open or close some. And you probably had the ball too far forward in your stance so the putter face was closing and you were pulling putts. A COMMON problem.

NOW you need to make sure your ball position remains constant in your set-up NO matter the distance of the putt. So always keep your stance width constant. Estimate how far back from the inside of our left foot is this ideal position you have found works for you.

Work with this for a while when you get the chance and let me know, In the meantime -- play well tomorrow and send me my coaching fee!! LOL!!

p.s. I do have some other thoughts that should help....but they are for another day

I am struggling again to type this.... so I may have to paste in the text from another program. FANTASTIC you found that Ball Position is an issue for you that you have corrected. While you try to keep the putter face square to the line, with your stroke, and the putter head moves it will open or close some. And you probably had the ball too far forward in your stance so the putter face was closing and you were pulling putts. A COMMON problem.

NOW you need to make sure your ball position remains constant in your set-up NO matter the distance of the putt. So always keep your stance width constant. Estimate how far back from the inside of our left foot is this ideal position you have found works for you.

Work with this for a while when you get the chance and let me know, In the meantime -- play well tomorrow and send me my coaching fee!! LOL!!

p.s. I do have some other thoughts that should help....but they are for another day

Thanks for the confirmation! I’ll update tomorow with some more stats etc.

And thank you for the help ... very good example of what makes this place a great resource to the golf world In general .

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Not very. Average 31.2 putts per round.

Would you like to input your putt distances into the spreadsheet and see where improvement can be had? PPR is just so flawed, it's almost impossible to get a good read on your putting with.

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 

well to give you guys an update.. I came out of the gate in good form this morning.. I made the turn at -3.....I hit the first 11 greens in a row...longest putt made was 10ft....

then on 14 i hit my tee ball OB ....and proceed to go doube double Quad then par on 18....gave up 8 shots in 3 holes to shoot 75... Just fell out of focus and had the high right driver miss bite me...again..... then miss green and 3 putt 15 and the quad was a result of a miss club layup that i pushed OB off the tee..then a yanked 2nd tee ball and finished up with a 3 putt from 12 feet.... Gathered myself and managed to hit the green on 18 and 2 putt...was a 200 yard par 3 with some wind in my face ..story of my life..

Truth is the front 9 could have easily been -5.. I only birdied 1 of the par 5s.... and had 4 other approaches besides the 3 birdies inside 15 feet ..Ill be sure to let everyone know when i make a putt over 10ft..LOL

Plenty of positives for ball striking and even another mental game step made.. to not get angry at that 3 hole stretch is a huge deal for me.. there was a time when i would have wrapped that driver around a tree.. ...lol

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

BH,

That is a great recap and some outstanding golf on 14 holes! Here is a quote that I heard from Dr. Brett McCabe: "You are going to play 6 holes well, 6 holes poorly, and the other 6 are going to be completely determined by your attitude." You sure embodied that during this round!

A few things:

1. Make sure you learn things from this round, and it sounds like you have.

2. Do your very best to be aware of how you putt (poorly) when frustrated with your ball striking, but don't internalize that as how good/bad of a putter you are. That is not the putter you are, that is the mental game you currently have.

I want you to know that I honestly appreciate you putting these rounds on here, good or bad. That shows a lot of strength. Strength that I believe you can take with you on course and get to your high level Am golf goals!

(And I wish like heck I could even sniff ball striking like you are capable of! We would make one heckuva 2 man scramble team!!!)

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 

BH,

That is a great recap and some outstanding golf on 14 holes! Here is a quote that I heard from Dr. Brett McCabe: "You are going to play 6 holes well, 6 holes poorly, and the other 6 are going to be completely determined by your attitude." You sure embodied that during this round!

A few things:

1. Make sure you learn things from this round, and it sounds like you have.

2. Do your very best to be aware of how you putt (poorly) when frustrated with your ball striking, but don't internalize that as how good/bad of a putter you are. That is not the putter you are, that is the mental game you currently have.

I want you to know that I honestly appreciate you putting these rounds on here, good or bad. That shows a lot of strength. Strength that I believe you can take with you on course and get to your high level Am golf goals!

(And I wish like heck I could even sniff ball striking like you are capable of! We would make one heckuva 2 man scramble team!!!)

Thanks Dan.

I have no issue listing my faults. I guess I’ve never putted well enough to be embarrassed by my state. Lol. As in I don’t know any better. Bookends in the bag are my weak spots. Driver and putter.

Driver just is a mental block. I hate OB right. I play a fade. If hitting it welll it’s dead straight. But that huge right miss is always lurking if I get quick from the top with my lower half . I Cant get it back square at impact. My lower just clears so fast. It’s not rare to see my hips completely facing the target at impact . So I never miss left ..... unless I consciously try to post up on my left and my arms take over. Then I can hit it a mile left.

Anyway. I’d kill for an average putter and a driver that I didn’t spin off the planet and could square up. Lol.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Just recorded my 2nd round on the chart for score of 77 yesterday - poor day in ball striking, lots of mishit irons resulting in only 11 GIR (+ 1 par 5 in two) and lots of longer putts. Poor putting round with 35 total putts.

Total SGP was -3.01. While +.41 for 4' and less, I was -2.75 in the 5' to 8' range and +.8 in the 9' to 15' range. Three putted twice 25' and 40', both results from bad speed on 1st putts. This round was worst in my last 10 rounds, where I have had one 75 and the rest 74 or better with 2 rounds under par. I am writing this off to an "off day".

On the positive side, I have stuck with same routine, set up, and "stroke" for the past 5 rounds. In the past, it was not unusual for me to change setup, grip type, and stroke pattern several times during a round.

My stroke on short putts is probably less than mechanically ideal (putter head tends to move up and out a little and strike is toward the heel side), but I am making more short putts. I now "practice" that stroke on the practice green as it is the one that shows up "under the gun".

Goal is to get some rounds with positive SGP.

Thanks, Bruce

Solid ball striking today. 9 GIR on front but nothing real close - 8 pars and I 3 putt bogey. 7 GIR on back (1 par 5 in 2). 2 pars, 2 bogeys and 5 birdies = total of 2 under 70. Total SGP = -1.58. After 3 rounds, I am negative on all ranges except for 9 to 15 where I am +.27. I am -.46 in the 4' and less, and -1.43 in the 5 to 8. Need to putt better from 8' in.

Bruce

More stats. No real change that I can see. Big 3 day tournament next weekend. So I'll be really working every day between now and then to try to hole a few putts. This course is a 2 nd shot course that plays to my strengths. if i can just hole a few feet of putts.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

This spreadsheet might be the single best thing I've found on golfwrx. Thanks!

Thank you! Please use it, or give it to others, and track your putts. Sure, there are tendencies that this doesn't track (do you tend to leave uphill right to left putts short?). But, for a 10,000' view of your putting, it's a really great way to see what's going on, all while only having to write down the length of your putts during your round. Without a putting specific stat record (and no, putts/round doesn't count and putts/GIR isn't much better), you really are just blindly throwing lawn darts trying to become a better putter.

And for me, the coolest part of this was finding out from what distance range I really was a very good putter. The confidence boost that this knowledge gave me allows me to quickly overcome a poor putting outcome and perform well, even on the very next hole. In the past, I would have started to self doubt, over-correct, and generally just mentally sabotage myself. Now I know I can perform, even under tournament pressure, so a poor outcome doesn't even phase me.

Thank you again for the kind words and please post up your numbers after you have a few rounds in!

Yes. Thank you so much for this spreadsheet!!

I never quite understood the whole Strokes Gained/Lost and how they were calculated.

But now it's great to have a tool to do that. Cool!

I've considered myself to be a pretty good putter - but now I'll implement your tool to find out.

Again, thank you so much for sharing this!