PGA Junior League All-Stars - New Rules

New for the 2018 Post Season is the introduction of Section Qualifiers and Section Championships. The Section Qualifiers will feature the scramble format, however, instead of a head to head match it will be a team aggregate score total for 9 holes (The team total will be the 3 out of 4 best 9 hole scores).

·New for the 2018 Section Qualifiers and Section Championships – Each player on the team MUST play a minimum of 2 flags (6 holes) in each post season round.

·Beginning with Section Qualifiers (first stage of post-season), 10 all-star players are required to participate. A team that arrives with less than 10 players will incur a 2-stroke penalty for every player not present. Penalty strokes will be added to the overall aggregate team score. Beginning with Section Championships, a team that arrives with only nine players will forfeit one point to the opposing side for each overall game score, each session. A team that arrives with eight or less players will forfeit two points to the opposing side for each overall game score, each session. These deductions apply to each round of competition.

Has there been any discussions amongst any of you and/or your coaches the best way to handle pairings for the post season? Everyone having to play at least 6 holes throws a big wrench in to how to do it.

How about discussions on pairings for the Section Qualifiers knowing that only 3 of the 4 scores count? Do you top load the the pairings to try to get the lowest scores possible and in the 4th group just put your three least talented players?

Unless my math is wrong, 4 kids will be playing 9 holes and 6 kids will be playing 6 holes. I know my kid will be playing 9. If my kid were a 6 hole kid he wouldn't be playing All-Stars.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who have made the all star team in the past, what are thoughts on pairing a bomber with a younger kid who is good from 100 yards in and has a good short game as well? In speaking with our coach, it appears as though he is leaning towards filling the all star team with mostly older kids who can bomb it. I understand this philosophy since they will be playing from about 2,900 yards in the post season, but many of the younger kids are pretty damn good from 100 yards in, which I feel would make a good set up. - thanks

For those who have made the all star team in the past, what are thoughts on pairing a bomber with a younger kid who is good from 100 yards in and has a good short game as well? In speaking with our coach, it appears as though he is leaning towards filling the all star team with mostly older kids who can bomb it. I understand this philosophy since they will be playing from about 2,900 yards in the post season, but many of the younger kids are pretty damn good from 100 yards in, which I feel would make a good set up. - thanks

If I were the coach I wouldn't take a kid that couldn't drive it at least 190 unless that is my only option. Most of the approach shots are going to be from 100-135 range. If they can't drive it that far it puts too much pressure on the partner to always hit a good drive.

If I were the coach I wouldn't take a kid that couldn't drive it at least 190 unless that is my only option. Most of the approach shots are going to be from 100-135 range. If they can't drive it that far it puts too much pressure on the partner to always hit a good drive.

Good point...

Good point...

Here is the other thing. If your kid has 200 yard approach shot on a par 5, can he get it there? I would take my chances on 1 out of 2 of my bombers putting it on or close to the green on shot number 2 rather depending on a shorter hitters third shot putting it close.

Good point...

Here is the other thing. If your kid has 200 yard approach shot on a par 5, can he get it there? I would take my chances on 1 out of 2 of my bombers putting it on or close to the green on shot number 2 rather depending on a shorter hitters third shot putting it close.

I guess in an ideal world there would be 10- 13 year old bombers and I'm sure for some teams this is an option. We joined our team to have a valid chance at making the all star team, but I didn't fully understand how the post season stuff works. Now that I see we have no chance I really should have just went to a course that is more local to me. Either way, its been really fun. My son has always wanted to do some team play stuff so he looks forward to it each week.

Good point...

I guess in an ideal world there would be 10- 13 year old bombers and I'm sure for some teams this is an option. We joined our team to have a valid chance at making the all star team, but I didn't fully understand how the post season stuff works. Now that I see we have no chance I really should have just went to a course that is more local to me. Either way, its been really fun. My son has always wanted to do some team play stuff so he looks forward to it each week.

My advice to anyone thinking of joining, is to pick the team closest to you. The league isn't that great to travel for a team IMO. Might as well make it easier on you by staying local.

Good point...

Yep. Most 10 year olds don't stand a chance either. Key word "Most". There is obviously elite 10 year old talent out there that can play from the longer distances. I just don't see many 10 year old kids being able to hit the ball long enough to make the all star team.

Good point...

Any of these kids from 2016 look like 8 year olds?

1RCa89I.jpg

How about 2017?

2017-11-20t13-56-13.666z--1280x720.jpg

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

My son is in the lower picture. We had a good mix of longer and shorter hitters. But, we always had a kid capable of hitting it over 280 on each team.

280? Is that a typo :)

That is not a typo. My son was on the New Hampshire team at 2017 Nationals that got their Word not allowed handed to them by GA. Impressive does not begin to describe them. GA and NJ had seriously deep teams stacked with elite juniors. By contrast the NH team had 3 elite juniors and a sharp drop-off after that :)

NJ had 2 kids on their team who my son has played with before in US Kids Worlds who hit it out there with any adult I have played with.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

My son is in the lower picture. We had a good mix of longer and shorter hitters. But, we always had a kid capable of hitting it over 280 on each team.

Care to share how the team was made? Was this an instance of a super league?

Atlanta has always put together a good team. The 2017 team was the least talented on paper. But, it was a great group of kids that prayed together and cared about each other. Most of the boys grew up playing us kids together.

We had 4 bombers. One for each team. But, the matches come down to who makes the putts. My sons partner was the shortest hitter on the team. But, defiantly the best putter and wedge player.

That is not a typo. My son was on the New Hampshire team at 2017 Nationals that got their Word not allowed handed to them by GA. Impressive does not begin to describe them. GA and NJ had seriously deep teams stacked with elite juniors. By contrast the NH team had 3 elite juniors and a sharp drop-off after that :)

NJ had 2 kids on their team who my son has played with before in US Kids Worlds who hit it out there with any adult I have played with.

We saw one of your players at future masters last week. We loved the NH team!! Great families.

i can attest to that not being one.. My kid plays in SC as a 9 year old who looks 12 and he hits it pretty far when he catches one..225ish... Today we had a match and his pair played a kid who is 12 who hit driver once on a par 5..I shot it at 272 when it stopped rolling ...the kicker.. a bunker stopped its progress.. This kid birdied 8 of 9 holes..and hit every green in Reg,.... i clapped for him.lol i mean it was amazing.. he is smaller in stature than my 9 year old ..but he just smoked it .. and hit his irons tighter than any kid i ever saw.. they walk among us folks ..lol

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to know how everyone’s coaches selected the all star team. I know that the PGA has some guidelines on how the team should be comprised such as the winning league team gets 4 picks, second place team gets 2 picks, etc. How did the coaches select who their best players were? Was it subjective or did they make the kids play it out for the spots?

I would like to know how everyone's coaches selected the all star team. I know that the PGA has some guidelines on how the team should be comprised such as the winning league team gets 4 picks, second place team gets 2 picks, etc. How did the coaches select who their best players were? Was it subjective or did they make the kids play it out for the spots?

I think our coach has pretty much made up his mind with regards to the all stars. I think he will let the kids play it out for a few spots, but no way in hell some of the younger kids stand a chance against the 12-14 yr olds from 2900 yards.

Are they playing 2,900 yards during reg season? We had our first two matches last week , almost all par 4’s are 200, 5’s around 230, and par 3- 110. Pretty short, but roughly in line with us Kids 7 or 8 yo distance. Works out to around 1,700. Short. Not sure how they pick yardage setups, it seems like it’s left up to the discretion of the course coach?

I would like to know how everyone's coaches selected the all star team. I know that the PGA has some guidelines on how the team should be comprised such as the winning league team gets 4 picks, second place team gets 2 picks, etc. How did the coaches select who their best players were? Was it subjective or did they make the kids play it out for the spots?

I think our coach has pretty much made up his mind with regards to the all stars. I think he will let the kids play it out for a few spots, but no way in hell some of the younger kids stand a chance against the 12-14 yr olds from 2900 yards.

I think the new rules really hurt the chances of a younger player making the team. The rules last year were written was that each kid had to play a minimum of 3 holes. Teams would put their best player in the last group matched up with the worst player and another not so good. The best player would play all 9 holes while the worst player 3 and the other player 6. I think this would afford to take a younger player that wasn't as long because the better player could cover for him. I would also be ticked off if my kid was only playing 3 holes.

This year, everyone has to play a minimum of 6 holes. If you take that younger kid, the older longer player can only help him for 3 holes. It is now a new ball game.

I really don't like how they changed the PGA Jr. League rules.

In the section qualifier all 10 kids have to play. Yet you only form 4 groups from your squad and take the 3 best scores. If you only have 9 players the team gets a 2 stroke penalty. Our team will be better off taking a 2 stroke penalty. Why not form 5 groups and still take the 3 best scores? Or even the 4 best scores? This lets everyone play 9 holes.

I think there has to be a better way in the section championships as well. If you are going to scrap the flag system for the Qualifier, why just not scrap them for all stars so every kid can play 9 holes rather than making the bottom 3 man teams?

I have a hard time believing that this is the best way to do things.

Are they playing 2,900 yards during reg season? We had our first two matches last week , almost all par 4's are 200, 5's around 230, and par 3- 110. Pretty short, but roughly in line with us Kids 7 or 8 yo distance. Works out to around 1,700. Short. Not sure how they pick yardage setups, it seems like it's left up to the discretion of the course coach?

When you get to all-stars the new rules say that they can play up to 2900 yards. Last year it read between 2700 and 3000 I think. I was talking to Golfdawg through texts the other night about it. Most are going to set it up right around those yardages for 9 holes. It eliminates players and teams right off the bat because there are a lot of kids that can't play that yardage. The team that wins the National Championship doesn't have to have the best players, but has to have great depth that can play from that distance.

Are they playing 2,900 yards during reg season? We had our first two matches last week , almost all par 4's are 200, 5's around 230, and par 3- 110. Pretty short, but roughly in line with us Kids 7 or 8 yo distance. Works out to around 1,700. Short. Not sure how they pick yardage setups, it seems like it's left up to the discretion of the course coach?

My son played 3 matches from 2,000 yards and the last two have been from 2,900 yards. His team mate is only 9 and the best they were able to muster up from that yardage was -2 :(. From 2,000 yards their best was -8.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an additional fee for playing post season in the section qualifiers? Also how does the format work? We are scheduled to play 8/13, does that mean 1 loss and you are out, or do you play a couple of teams for a chance to advance? New this year to it as my son is only 11 and made it the first time.

Depends on the program whether or not there is an additional fee.

Sectional qualifying is 2 man team scramble. The best 3 out of four groups scores count. I don't know how many teams advance from there.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone advance out of Sectional Qualifying? Anyone Advance to regionals? What strategies did you use if you didn't have a loaded team?

Our team was the lowest score at 12 under. At sectionals we took the 3 players with the least experience at competitive golf and paired them together in the last group. We were counting on the top three groups to score well and they did. We separated our best three players within the first three groups.

At sectionals we are tossing around the idea of playing those same three kids against the other teams number one group. Then taking our best player and playing him with 2 OK players in the last group. Our idea is that we know we will lose the first 0-3, we will win the last 3-0. We know our other two groups are good enough to win outright in the the second and third matches. If we reverse the first and last groups we could technically lose 6-0 over those two matches.