2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Life of a Conditional Web.com Member

GolfingBro

Just found this thread and enjoying reading back through some of the pages. As a WRX'er I feel like I have to ask, what's in the bag?

Titleist TSR4 Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

Just found this thread and enjoying reading back through some of the pages. As a WRX'er I feel like I have to ask, what's in the bag?

Glad that you found it! I am always updating:

Whats in the Bag:

Ball- TP5

Driver- M3 9.0 degree Matrix Ozik Black Tie X Flex

3 wood- M1 14 degree Matrix Ozik Black Tie X Flex

2 iron- P 770 KBS 130 X

PW-4 iron- P 750 KBS 130 X

60, 51, 55 degree- Milled Grind KBS 130 X

Putter- Taylormade Spider Red with top line

For us guys who basically get one shot at a new course. How hard would you try to attack pins or tee balls knowing you have one shot at the course?

Also, do you ever have just completely terrible days? Like upper 70's or maybe 80 for you.

Depends what I am playing. If its a monday qualifier you have to attack almost every pin. For me I am overly aggressive on a course I never see, since I don't know where the trouble is, I just see fairway.

For guys like you, it also depends on your handicap and what you are capable of. For me, I will attack anything if I have 7 iron or less unless there is immediate danger like a water hazard. I would tell you to find your longest club you are comfortable attacking to a short sided pin. Always aiming to be 150 out is a good bet on all courses as well. That means on a short hole you might take less then driver.

Bad days are around 74 to 76. I believe the highest tournament score I have shot this year has been a 77 and the lowest has been a 62.

what's keeping you from say web.com tour? In your opinion.

thanks...

Timing. Playing well at the right time. When I made it to final stage I didn't have a good week (and had food poisoning). Q School is the time of year to play well. Also, if I were to do it over I might move closer to more Mondays for the Web. California is too far away from everything and its too expensive for me to fly everywhere.

thanks...

Timing. Playing well at the right time. When I made it to final stage I didn't have a good week (and had food poisoning). Q School is the time of year to play well. Also, if I were to do it over I might move closer to more Mondays for the Web. California is too far away from everything and its too expensive for me to fly everywhere.

yeah def an ebb and flow to the golf season and if u can peak at q school then have another peak for 2 -3 good weeks ur basically on the pga tour....so close but yet so far.

g-luck man

thanks...

yeah def an ebb and flow to the golf season and if u can peak at q school then have another peak for 2 -3 good weeks ur basically on the pga tour....so close but yet so far.

g-luck man

Exactly how it goes. Thanks!

Just read this entire thread in 2 days... what a read. Best of luck to you Matt. I realize this is off topic, but now that I'm caught up here, can someone tell me how to find McCann1's thread? Thanks in advance.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

PING G425 3W 14.5* & 5W 17.5*

PING G425 4H 22** & 5H 26* 

CALLAWAY Apex DCB 6-AW 

CALLAWAY Raw Face 54-10 

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

For us guys who basically get one shot at a new course. How hard would you try to attack pins or tee balls knowing you have one shot at the course?

Also, do you ever have just completely terrible days? Like upper 70's or maybe 80 for you.

Depends what I am playing. If its a monday qualifier you have to attack almost every pin. For me I am overly aggressive on a course I never see, since I don't know where the trouble is, I just see fairway.

For guys like you, it also depends on your handicap and what you are capable of. For me, I will attack anything if I have 7 iron or less unless there is immediate danger like a water hazard. I would tell you to find your longest club you are comfortable attacking to a short sided pin. Always aiming to be 150 out is a good bet on all courses as well. That means on a short hole you might take less then driver.

Bad days are around 74 to 76. I believe the highest tournament score I have shot this year has been a 77 and the lowest has been a 62.

This is awesome man, I’m rooting for you. Thank you for taking the time to answer all of us.

Was just going to say McCann thread is under tour, I can't find if he tried to Monday for this past Canadian tour event, he is not in the field but I only could see who the 10 qualifiers were and could not find scoring.

Matthew is currently in Sioux Falls SD playing on the Dakota's tour. This particular event has a winning prize of 15K, The format is different in that each pro plays with 3 amateurs who keep score for the pro. They pay to play so I guess that is how they can put more money into the pros purse. Here is a link to this weeks event.

https://dakotastour.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/dakotastour18/event/dakotastour184/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

Hello all I have an update for everyone. This season as many of you have read I decided to forgo PGA Canada and focus on playing mini tour events and state opens. For the summer I picked the Dakotas Tour.

This tour has been around for over 18 years and the money is really good. More guys are learning how well run these events are and the purses for all the three day events. The reason the money is so good is that every event is pro am format. A team of three amateurs pays an entry into the event and the first two days they play with one professional. The fields are small, for example this week in Sioux Falls its 75 guys with the winner taking home $15,000.

It is unique and an adjustment playing with 3 amateur golfers who lose lots of balls and don't hit the best shots but overall it doesn't affect me that much. The fields after two rounds are cut to 30% of the pros. Those pros play in normal threesomes with each other the final day. Supposedly this Tim Ailes guy is over 40 and has played every year up here and makes 30-40k each season.

I decided to take the 23 hour drive after the Golden State in Reno which I took solo 6th https://goldencuptour.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/goldencuptour18/event/goldencuptour1821/contest/4/leaderboard.htm

I had 4 days before the first event out here and that gave me time to sight see. If you follow me on instagram you already knew this. I drove 7 hours and stopped at an Airbnb for the night, then woke up at 540 am and drove 5 hours to this pure pure golf course in Rawlin Wyoming called Rochelle Ranch. An 8000 yard course from the tips in great shape. After that I drove 5 more hours to my new Airbnb in Rapid City South Dakota. I saw Mount Rushmore and hiked in Custer State Park for a day. The bear picture was from a drive through safari animal park called Bear Country. Im glad that I stopped and saw a part of the country that I hadn't visited yet. The drive out however was very very boring. A lot of nothing out here in the middle northern states. The good news is the speed limits are 80 mph and I set my cruise at 90 for most of the 1700 miles.

The money I saved having my car out is was well worth it. My plan is to play all the big ones and if I qualify for the Web events then I will miss two of them. I finish up tomorrow here in Sioux Falls then I play next week in Sioux Center Iowa. After that I drive to Nebraska and play the Web.com monday. If I don't qualify I drive up north to Aberdeen South Dakota to play an event.

Upcoming events after those:

Long Beach Open

Stonebrae Web Monday

ProJam South Dakota

2 more events in North Dakota

My website has all the schedule and the links:

http://www.matthansengolf.com

Just read this entire thread in 2 days... what a read. Best of luck to you Matt. I realize this is off topic, but now that I'm caught up here, can someone tell me how to find McCann1's thread? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, glad to have a new follower. Keep looking for updates on my new Dakotas adventure.

I’ve heard great things about the bobcat open if you’re sticking around that long . Course is great I played it years ago in my us am qualifying while on my way to a college visit . Unfortunately during the year I was there it was a flood year (this year is one but I’m not sure about North Dakota ). And we had to play the front 9 4 times which became a bit tiresome hahaha

http://www.waterlooopen.com If you’re back next year , hopefully you won’t be and you’ll be playing the web , this is an event worth adding , 50-55k to first place I’m not sure off the exact number

random question, but when playing with amateurs do you feel obligated to help look for their lost balls? does it throw you out of rythym or find it tiring to find yourself walking circles in the tall stuff looking for others balls, or do you let the players and fans do this and stick to your own game.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Just read through most of this. You mentioned Tim Ailes, I know him pretty well here in Columbus, played with him and caddied with him for years at Double Eagle. He is a hell of a golfer, and it ways amazes me how far away the best of the best are from even his level.

I'm not a pro caddy, but if you need or want a caddy for an event in Central OH, shoot me a PM and I will try to make time for you. Looped for Faxon and Couples in a local event, nothing serious though. Also, we can always find some good games....

Ping G400 LST w/ Veylix Roughneck
Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Bimatrx Proto
Callaway Rogue 4 AD-DI
PRGR 020i 3 Ozik Altus 
Cobra King Forged Tec 4-G Modus Tour 105
Chikara 55/60 Ozik Program 130
The Never Ending Putter Hall of Shame

random question, but when playing with amateurs do you feel obligated to help look for their lost balls? does it throw you out of rythym or find it tiring to find yourself walking circles in the tall stuff looking for others balls, or do you let the players and fans do this and stick to your own game.

Haha great question. I do believe in karma and helping guys look for balls is good karma. It also speeds up play. I will always help someone look for their ball because it doesn't throw off my game at all. The one thing I do is not pay attention when they putt or hit the ball because thats when weird things can happen.

Just read through most of this. You mentioned Tim Ailes, I know him pretty well here in Columbus, played with him and caddied with him for years at Double Eagle. He is a hell of a golfer, and it ways amazes me how far away the best of the best are from even his level.

I'm not a pro caddy, but if you need or want a caddy for an event in Central OH, shoot me a PM and I will try to make time for you. Looped for Faxon and Couples in a local event, nothing serious though. Also, we can always find some good games....

Awesome thanks!

This week I came close to qualifying for the Pinnacle Bank Web event in Nebraska. On Monday I shot -5 and was in a playoff with 6 other guys for the last spot. Sadly I didn't get through but if anyone is interested I can talk more about the day and the round. A little disappointing since I was so close. But its on to the next one.

This week I came close to qualifying for the Pinnacle Bank Web event in Nebraska. On Monday I shot -5 and was in a playoff with 6 other guys for the last spot. Sadly I didn't get through but if anyone is interested I can talk more about the day and the round. A little disappointing since I was so close. But its on to the next one.

keep churnin!

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I'm sure the mentality must be a little different for these rounds where you know you have to shoot 5 or 6 under to have a chance, are you going after more flags? Or do you just stick to the plan and hope the putter is hot?

Matt, thanks for all the time you put into this thread.

Do you have any tips or tricks for staying mentally sharp through physical exhaustion during a round? Tourney rounds can be 5+ hours of walking in the sun, which doesn't make it easy to be as sharp on hole 18 as on hole 1.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

Keep up the great play!!! youre always 1 or 2 small breaks away. Best of luck

Great playing! Would love to hear more about why you selected it...how the golf course compares to those you've played on other tours, does this performance change your future plans?

Great playing! Would love to hear more about why you selected it...how the golf course compares to those you've played on other tours, does this performance change your future plans?

I played in the Monday qualifier since I was already out east for the Dakotas Tour. It was only a 2 hour drive from the event I was playing. There are always two sites for every Monday qualifier on the Web and every player gets randomly put on a golf course. I have no choice what course I play, I just show up and try to shoot low. The plans don't change going forward. Keep playing and keep making money.

Good result alert: https://dakotastour.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/dakotastour18/event/dakotastour188/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

Played yesterday the final round in the leader group and had a chance to win all day. We had 20-50 members following us all day which is so much fun. I really enjoy having a chance to win and the pressures involved with that. Sadly I came up a couple short but made a good check for the week. The final round played tougher than the previous since the wind switched. I played as good as I hit the ball. Basically I wasn't hitting it close enough to shoot more than 1 under par. The final hole I needed an eagle to force a playoff and my 66 yard wedge shot to a back pin (over a small hill running away from me), lipped out. Then my 7 footer for birdie lipped out again. So close.

Life of a golfer moment for you guys: Finished up my final round then had a 6 hour drive to Omaha. Currently I'm sitting in the airport writing this as I wait for my flight to Long Beach for the Long Beach Open that starts Thursday. My rest day is today and its a travel day. Thats the life of a golfer for you.