How do you feel about "long putter's"...?

I wish they would retract the anchor ban OR put a definitive length limit on putters (I don’t care either way, certainly don’t mind my competitors anchoring). I don’t like the current rule because it introduces gray area into the rules.

I thought the USGA’s current mission was to clarify and simplify the rules...

On the last sentence I will say one thing-------- That is their tale I sit on mine---- The USGA's only mission is to fatten their pocketbook

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

• 2 weeks later...

I used a long putter until anchoring ban came in. I found that without anchoring my putting was worse so I went to a short putter for a while. However I could not get consistent with a short putter. I am now trying side saddle (face on) putting with a long putter held vertical or almost vertical. This so far gives me more putts hit down my intended line than any other method including anchoring. I accept that at some stage this method could be banned if some pros started using it.

The main point for amateurs is that hitting ball well but putting poorly sucks. It can cause some to give up golf. I am 75 years old and putting is more important now as I cannot reach all greens in regulation. Hence there is a lot of pitch and putt to my game. Take away the long putter or face on putting and my enjoyment will be a lot less.

To me they should put a limit on the length and set it at 35-36”, as far as I’m concerned those armlock putters are anchored yet legal to play. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any recreational player with a broomstick or armlock so I don’t think it would be hurting the game in any big way. The pro’s should learn to putt with a standard length putter or find another way to make a living.

I am definitely a recreational player (10 handicap). I putt sidesaddle and use a 46" inch putter without any type of anchoring. It WOULD hurt my game.

So I wouldn't understand a ban on the length of a putter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/63r4wre6hmy88pa/VID_20180614_201330493.mp4?dl=0

I used a long putter until anchoring ban came in. I found that without anchoring my putting was worse so I went to a short putter for a while. However I could not get consistent with a short putter. I am now trying side saddle (face on) putting with a long putter held vertical or almost vertical. This so far gives me more putts hit down my intended line than any other method including anchoring. I accept that at some stage this method could be banned if some pros started using it.

The main point for amateurs is that hitting ball well but putting poorly sucks. It can cause some to give up golf. I am 75 years old and putting is more important now as I cannot reach all greens in regulation. Hence there is a lot of pitch and putt to my game. Take away the long putter or face on putting and my enjoyment will be a lot less.

Never underestimate the ability of the USGA to screw up, but I don't think there is a way to write a rule that prevents side saddle putting.

First of all, EVERYBODY stands beside the ball; side saddle is an EXTREMELY open stance, nothing more. The only things they could do would be to put a limit on putter length and prohibit grips that are two pieces. But remember that Snead putted on Tour (and won 4 times!) using a Bullseye standard length and a single piece grip. In any case, a special rule for clubs used on the green limiting them to less than the standard for all clubs of 48" becomes an administrative nightmare on multiple levels.

My problem with the anchoring ban is that it is the only time in golf history that I know of that the USGA has made a rule about how a golfer can hold and swing the golf club. That is VERY different kind of rule from rules about equipment, how the game is played, penalties, etc. Golfers have used every possible way to hold the putter, and all sorts of grips and stances to hit full swing shots; this has been going on literally for centuries.

In short, the anchoring ban was a solution in search of a problem, and the USGA used a "Ready, Fire, Aim" approach. My distaste for the USGA is second only to my distaste for the NCAA; both are institutions who aim to protect the revenue stream flowing toward people that already have money.

To me they should put a limit on the length and set it at 35-36”, as far as I’m concerned those armlock putters are anchored yet legal to play. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any recreational player with a broomstick or armlock so I don’t think it would be hurting the game in any big way. The pro’s should learn to putt with a standard length putter or find another way to make a living.

Yes Mr Fuji...exactly!

I was ranting about professional's when I started this thread.

If it was up to me...I would say you have to hold all clubs in your hands. No grip or shaft anchored against arm, chin, belly or chest.

Recreational golfers should use whatever method or club that makes the game more fun for them.

Thanks for everyone's opinion!

As mentioned earlier i use a 38 inch counterbalanced putter. It's not anchored or against my forearm, the extra 2-3 inches are just a weight counterbalance

So you would want these outlawed too?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Whatever freak show you’re running on the greens, just get it done and get off quickly. Ain’t got time for that crap.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

The courses here in this retirement and tourist mecca faced the same problem. There are a lot of folks obviously your age and older playing league golf. When the anchoring ban went into effect a lot of those league players were going to give up the game entirely. A lot of the courses instituted a "local rule" which is entirely legal BTW to disregard the anchoring ban for league play. If you do not play stipulated comps or league play (if they don't disregard the rule) I for one have absolutely no problem on anchoring for whatever reason one chooses. Hey you stated it helps you enjoy and play the game that IMHO is a good enough reason. In your case anyone that has a problem with you anchoring has deeper problems themselves. I say to you personally screw em keep on anchoring and have fun and PLAY GOLF

Yes Mr Fuji...exactly!

If it was up to me...I would say you have to hold all clubs in your hands. No grip or shaft anchored against arm, chin, belly or chest.

Recreational golfers should use whatever method or club that makes the game more fun for them.

As mentioned earlier i use a 38 inch counterbalanced putter. It's not anchored or against my forearm, the extra 2-3 inches are just a weight counterbalance

I don’t recall ever seeing Mtljeff on a PGA leaderboard so you’re good to go. I’m only referring to professional players, who cares about recreational golfers so have fun and use what works to make you the best you can be.

Callaway Sub Zero, Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Ping SF Tech 16*
Titleist 816H1 21*
Titleist 913H 24*
Callaway Razr MB 5-PW
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60*
Spider X Copper

Yes Mr Fuji...exactly!

I don’t recall ever seeing Mtljeff on a PGA leaderboard so you’re good to go. I’m only referring to professional players, who cares about recreational golfers so have fun and use what works to make you the best you can be.

By "recreational golfers", do you mean guys that play once a month on a Saturday with their buddies? Or did you have something bigger in mind? And a lot of those guys don't follow the Rules anyway; they take mulligans, they play the ball up, they don't putt out, they don't take stroke and distance, and so on, so I don't know that anybody cares what they are doing with their equipment, including putters.

But you realize, I'm sure, that there is a fair amount of territory in between the PGA leaderboard and "recreational golfers", right?

Like college golf. Or junior golf. Or amateur tournament golf. Or club tournament golf. Or league play. I could go on, but you get the idea. The PGA Tour, and ALL professional golf, is a tiny, tiny fraction of the golfers who are playing competitively under the Rules of Golf, and that's the issue. The grooves rule applies to all of us. The 14 club rule applies to all of us. And so does the anchoring ban.

And to be clear, the ban was on anchoring. ALL golf clubs are limited to 48"; drivers, putters, all of them. For everybody.

Yes Mr Fuji...exactly!

By "recreational golfers", do you mean guys that play once a month on a Saturday with their buddies? Or did you have something bigger in mind? And a lot of those guys don't follow the Rules anyway; they take mulligans, they play the ball up, they don't putt out, they don't take stroke and distance, and so on, so I don't know that anybody cares what they are doing with their equipment, including putters.

But you realize, I'm sure, that there is a fair amount of territory in between the PGA leaderboard and "recreational golfers", right?

Like college golf. Or junior golf. Or amateur tournament golf. Or club tournament golf. Or league play. I could go on, but you get the idea. The PGA Tour, and ALL professional golf, is a tiny, tiny fraction of the golfers who are playing competitively under the Rules of Golf, and that's the issue. The grooves rule applies to all of us. The 14 club rule applies to all of us. And so does the anchoring ban.

And to be clear, the ban was on anchoring. ALL golf clubs are limited to 48"; drivers, putters, all of them. For everybody.

Putters do not have a limit on their length.

The overall length of the club must be at least 18 inches (0.457 m) and, except for putters, must not exceed 48 inches (1.219 m).

http://www.usga.org/...tml#!rule-14617

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Yes Mr Fuji...exactly!

It does not apply to me because I do not play comps or Mini Tours anymore. The groups I play with even gambling for modest stakes do not give 2 rips either what you play and that includes anchoring. I would say that less than 5% of all worldwide that play the game including all the professional tours and those playing USGA comps etc go strictly conforming------ Most folks do like you said in the beginning play like they want to---- I mean what is the USGA gonna do take you out with a drone or something if you have gasp a set of 1982 Macgregors in the bag on the course??? Of course if I want to go back to playing comps etc I do have 2 conforming sets of irons MP-68s or Cally 2013 forged X--- Actually if I submitted my VIPS they would be conforming. I just like playing the old stuff. IMHO 95% of all who play the game could give 2 hoots less about the USGA , The PGA or the R&A for that matter

Yes Mr Fuji...exactly!

But Mtljeff is one heck of a writer and poster

Yes Mr Fuji...exactly!

I’m taking about the ones playing for a living. Everyone below that level can use what they want if it helps/works for them. Kind of like using aluminum bats until you hit the bigs then you’re swinging wood as they’re supposed be the best of the best and shouldn’t need an advantage to aid in their abilities.

Callaway Sub Zero, Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Ping SF Tech 16*
Titleist 816H1 21*
Titleist 913H 24*
Callaway Razr MB 5-PW
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60*
Spider X Copper

Kind of an interesting topic, personally I had no issue with anchoring and I believe the governing bodies made it worse with the way the rules were implemented. I think the long putter is fine, I would never use one but we shouldn't discourage others from trying it. There are plenty of other equipment related issues with the game that one could say gives players an advantage. That was and currently is my biggest issue with the anchor ban, anybody could've used that technique and if it were such a performance enhancer everybody would've used it.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

Yes Mr Fuji...exactly!

MtlJeff is just my username here, on tour i go by my given name: Jeev Milkha Singh

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• 1 month later...

Somewhere along the line, somebody important must have defined “the spirit of the game” in order to begin regulating the equipment and/or methods used to golf a ball... based solely on that definition.

Here’s the R&As definition:

“The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the game of golf.”

How on Gods green earth did a ruling body ban anchored putters based on that?

Somewhere along the line, somebody important must have defined "the spirit of the game" in order to begin regulating the equipment and/or methods used to golf a ball... based solely on that definition.

Here's the R&As definition:

"The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the game of golf."

Go away and start another tedious discussion on why you deserve free relief from divot holes. :swoon:

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Somewhere along the line, somebody important must have defined "the spirit of the game" in order to begin regulating the equipment and/or methods used to golf a ball... based solely on that definition.

Here's the R&As definition:

"The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the game of golf."

Go away and start another tedious discussion on why you deserve free relief from divot holes. :swoon:

Dear Sue,

Thanks for that nice comment.

I'm not going away, but now that you mentioned it, divots deserve way more attention than long putters. Not everybody has a long putter, but everybody has a divot with their name on it.