As a higher capper, and urethane balls

Tanner25

After all of the urethane hype here and seeing the magic in action, I was bitten by the urethane bug. But, after several months, and being a high capper I have not seen any benefit. For every ball that bites near the hole, I have the same amount of shots, where the ball checks up too early.

I find the 3 piece surlyn balls are best, like Gamersoft or Wilson Spin. They have some bite and some roll out.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing wrong with playing what suits your game best. I also skip the urethane balls because I generally am a bump and run player. I hit the ball high and don't have any issues holding greens with suryln balls. Urethane also are generally more expensive and less durable. There is no right answer. Right now my favorite balls are Snell Get Sum, Cut White, Srixon Q-Star and TF Gamer.

Agree with the Bridgestone E6 Soft. Play it regularly and shoot low to mid 80's. When the bug hits me to play a premium ball I play the Bridgestone Tour B RX.

Thanks, gpleonard. How's the green side spin on the E6 soft? Is it somewhere inbetween a distance ball and urethane?

You will not get high spin but the ball is better than most. I have no real issues with it. Good distance and will hold the green on well struck shots. Plus with the 2 for 50 deal it is hard to pass up.

Gil Leonard

As a high capper I know hitting ProVs and Chrome Softs are not the best, as I lose a few too many and they are not doing me any good on miss hit shots or when they bounce off the cart path.

My counter argument is that when I do hit my shots well, these balls perform excellent as they should! I would rather lose a few premium balls but also have them for those shots you hit pure, rather than have a mediocre ball that doesnt perform as well. That lost ball doesnt matter if it $45 a dozen or $20. That ball that sticks close to the pin and gives a chance at birdie does, I want to use that ball regardless of my skill because that ball will drop my score!

Ill ask, and I know I know theres a thread for this but.... How about the Project (a)? Urethane for a cheap price but is the performance there?

I really want to move into this category of golf ball and really like the spin green side. I unfortunately lose the vast majority of my shots off the tee and am very hesitant to move into this range. I have tried the QSTs because of their lower price point and don't really like them as most do. They feel a bit too hard and I don't jive well with that feeling. I would rather go with the Bridgestone RX or Duo Urethane which I have tested and loved, just tired of losing them off the tee.

Driver: Titleist TSI3 10 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65

Fairway Wood: Titliest TSI2 15 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65
Hybrid: Titleist TSI2 18 Deg - Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid 65
Irons: PXG Gen4 0311 P 4-GW - KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Vokey SM9, 54 & 60 - AMT Red 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond / Chrome Soft X

Strange, but as much as I play in different venues I rarely see anybody spin the ball?

Do you mean spin the ball back? I don't spin the ball back very often at all, but I still 'spin' the ball and find that a urethane tour ball spins more and thus doesn't run out as far as non-urethane balls. This provides better control around the greens for my game.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Agree with the Bridgestone E6 Soft. Play it regularly and shoot low to mid 80's. When the bug hits me to play a premium ball I play the Bridgestone Tour B RX.

Thanks, gpleonard. How's the green side spin on the E6 soft? Is it somewhere inbetween a distance ball and urethane?

You will not get high spin but the ball is better than most. I have no real issues with it. Good distance and will hold the green on well struck shots. Plus with the 2 for 50 deal it is hard to pass up.

thx

As a high capper I know hitting ProVs and Chrome Softs are not the best, as I lose a few too many and they are not doing me any good on miss hit shots or when they bounce off the cart path.

My counter argument is that when I do hit my shots well, these balls perform excellent as they should! I would rather lose a few premium balls but also have them for those shots you hit pure, rather than have a mediocre ball that doesnt perform as well. That lost ball doesnt matter if it $45 a dozen or $20. That ball that sticks close to the pin and gives a chance at birdie does, I want to use that ball regardless of my skill because that ball will drop my score!

Ill ask, and I know I know theres a thread for this but.... How about the Project (a)? Urethane for a cheap price but is the performance there?

Project A prior gen is a good value. The ball does stop on the green.

I’ll often by older generation urethane balls for cheap when I get the itch, but for the most part I play Bridgestone e6 or 7’s, top flite gamers and gamer tours (urethane as mentioned earlier) and D2 feels, Wilson duo’s or 50’s, slazenger Money Balls. I get along better with the distance and budget balls due to not having as much time to work on the finer points of my game right now until the kids get older. Plus when I was learning the game when I was younger I was taught more bump and run around the green, so I’ve always liked a little roll out.

Modern bag:
Nike vr str8 fit tour set at 11
Ping rapture v2 4 wood
Nike vr_s 3 and 4 hybrids
Maltby mmb 5-pw
Carnahan 52/56/60 wedge
Rotating door of putters

Sunday/quick nine walker:
Callaway warbird deuce 2 wd
Callaway warbird 4 wd
Hogan apex pro 4-E
Ping eye 2 W and S
Ping cushin putter

Classic bag:
Palmer Chattanooga driver
Hogan Slotline 4 wd
Palmer Standard 85 3-pw
Same ping eye 2 sw
Wilson professional 600 putter

Until you can keep a ball in play, have a reasonably decent short game and/or you are attacking flags a urethane ball will not give much benefit. I wasted a lot of money playing expensive balls as a high handicap. Control your driver and dial in your wedges then urethane balls become worth it. Feel should be an afterthought IMO. Just my humble opinion.

Yeah...there is this (most) massive market of the bogey golfer. Frankly...the Project S is fantastic. I'm messing with the Q Star soon and have a couple boxes of Snell Get Sum on my desk to work through. My lowest scores (better than bogey golf) have been with the Get Sum. Go figure. Spin isn't a problem for me. It's just inconsistency.

Unless a golfer is willing to spend time practicing their short game, they are probably better off playing a Surlyn (ionomer) ball. They are more consistent, in that they will only hit and release; hence, that's the only shot you need to be familiar with. With a urethane ball; in order to put some check on the ball you need to hit it crisply. If you don't, then the ball will run out like a Surlyn ball. Unless you practice, you'll find that you'll occasionally hit it crisp and have it check when you don't want it to, leaving you well short of the hole, or hit it a bit "off" and have it run past the hole when you want it to check up.

And yes, the e6 is a very good ball for amateurs looking for a non-urethane ball.

Or you be a sensible high handicapper and not trying to hit crisp low spinners in the first place!

But the reason I only use Urethane balls is to keep well struck iron shots from bouncing over a rock-hard Bermuda green. With a bunker in front, a green that’s only 20 yards deep (with severe trouble over the green), standing on the 150 marker and hitting 6-iron if you give me a Surlyn ball I have no shot. It’s either lay up or play out to the left or right side of the green with a 7-iron to avoid the bunker.

Give me a Urethane ball and that 6-iron lands in the middle of the green, rolls out 10-20 feet and stops.

Went urethane this year and wont turn back. I'm a 13hcp at the moment. Greenside spin has helped me massively.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

I'm a 14 capper. Like to bump/run wedge shots. I never see a difference in my scores based on what ball I play. Differences in my scores are based on how well/badly I'm hitting/putting the ball. Sorry if I am sounding like Captain Obvious here.

I can't help but think many mid/high cappers are too concerned about what ball they play.

When I do purchase balls, I look to get reasonably priced balls like the duo, e6, supersoft, qst. Often times I get AAAAA recycled balls. In fact, I think buying AAAAA is an excellent way to test different balls (if you think balls matter).

15 hcp

The most important decision is to play the same ball all the time to develop consistency.

I play the Titleist Tour Soft.

Do you find it scuffs up quicker than, say, a NXT or a ProV1. I found a like-new one and played it for several holes and it already had a couple of (very slight) marks on it. I wonder if they are upping the spin by using a very, very soft cover.