Top Courses that disappointed

Some of these just baffle me. I wonder if some of you are attaching how you scored to your reviews?

I actually love the way this topic is framed, because it takes into account expectations. You could play ANGC or Pine Valley and be disappointed even while respecting the greatness of the place. It just might not live up to your dreams. Which is OK.

played with a guy who played pine valley yearly and said it's a drag. He was a ceo of some company and thought it was too penal. Of course he was like a 20 handicapper so........

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played a few of the top 10 or 20 in the world and my thoughts on those are:

Pine Valley I went in expecting a lot and I was blown away

NGLA I went in expecting a lot and I was blown away

Haven't played Shinnecock, but I went for the US Open this year and walked it and that place is incredible

Merion I went in not really knowing what to expect and I was not blown away. I played PV and Merion on the same trip about 20 years ago and I remember every hole at PV in vivid detail, but I struggle to remember many of the holes at Merion despite having watched four rounds of the US Open there in 2013(?) when Rose won.

So Merion is my answer. I'm guessing I'll be on my own over here. In fairness they had punched the greens the day before I played it, so that may have tarnished my opinion somewhat.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

no shades intended but I know a lot of people think copperhead is over-rated and then I play with them. They don't appreciate the shots you need to make and I feel some of these top courses require some abilities of shot making.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Honestly I am quite shocked that people would list Oakland Hills South on this list. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to play it this week and I thought it was fantastic - great variety of holes (mixes of doglegs, short and long, uphill and downhill holes, etc.). The course clearly has some of the most beautiful bunkers in the world, fantastic greens, and a great use of the natural topography - not to mention the narrowest fairways of any course I have ever played. Also, the clubhouse is simply spectacular. To top it all off the course turns 100 next month!

I am not surprised at Pinehurst No. 2 being mentioned as the variations between holes are much more subtle - it has much fewer holes that stand out from the crowd. It even has holes that parallel each other - such a travesty (/s)! Also, the course is extremely difficult due to the inverted greens and I can see many people saying "I paid $400 to play that?!?!" After getting there a** handed to them. Personally, I would not include it on this list either.

The courses that have disappointed me generally have the name "ocean" in them - the two on HHI, the Nicklaus course at Hammock Beach, etc. One or two holes on the ocean does not make an ocean course - especially when all the other holes are typical "Florida golf holes." However, Kiawah and Cabo del Sol escape this pitfall as the non ocean holes are deffinately not vanilla!

Honestly I am quite shocked that people would list Oakland Hills South on this list. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to play it this week and I thought it was fantastic - great variety of holes (mixes of doglegs, short and long, uphill and downhill holes, etc.). The course clearly has some of the most beautiful bunkers in the world, fantastic greens, and a great use of the natural topography - not to mention the narrowest fairways of any course I have ever played. Also, the clubhouse is simply spectacular. To top it all off the course turns 100 next month!

It often may depend on your context when evaluating how a course fared vs expectations. I’ve been lucky enough to play some amazing courses in the past year, so that was my barometer for Oakland Hills. Camargo, Fishers Island, Monterey Peninsula, Quaker Ridge, Winged Foot West - I enjoyed those all more than Oakland Hills. Not saying I didn’t enjoy OH, but the variety of holes and my overall enjoyment in the others was better than OH. But this always has so much personal preference involved that it’s an art, not a science.

As noted above, I love the frame of 'disappointment' because it takes expectations into account.

Golf courses are organic things, and ebb and flow into and out of peak form and perfect days. I can absolutely see how somebody could have a "meh" day at Merion, and a perfect day at Oakland Hills, resulting in 'hyping' OH to friends...setting them up for a letdown if they played Merion on a perfect day and get something less than average at Oakland Hills. The psychology of it is fascinating.

It often may depend on your context when evaluating how a course fared vs expectations. I’ve been lucky enough to play some amazing courses in the past year, so that was my barometer for Oakland Hills. Camargo, Fishers Island, Monterey Peninsula, Quaker Ridge, Winged Foot West - I enjoyed those all more than Oakland Hills. Not saying I didn’t enjoy OH, but the variety of holes and my overall enjoyment in the others was better than OH. But this always has so much personal preference involved that it’s an art, not a science.

I understand your point of a course not meeting personal expectations - however I still don't know how anyone could be "disappointed" with Oakland Hills from a pure archectural and historical standpoint. The same factors that make a course like Fishers or Monterey (or arguably in suburban NYC) just don't apply at a course in suburban Detroit...

I am very surprised with some of the courses being mentioned here as a "disappointment". Let's keep it in perspective that the following IMO shouldn't factor into your "disappointment":

1. You had to pay $100 for a caddie

2. You didn't get a guest locker in the member locker room

3. You couldn't buy anything in the pro shop with cash or CC

4. You couldn't take a cart

5. There was slow play

6. Your 5th beer in the clubhouse had slightly more head on it

7. They didn't offer you an honorary membership

8. The had to hit off mats on the range

9. The halfway house didn't have your back 9 bar

10. You didn't get your a** kissed

It's layout, architecture, condition...... IMO only.

I understand your point of a course not meeting personal expectations - however I still don't know how anyone could be "disappointed" with Oakland Hills from a pure archectural and historical standpoint. The same factors that make a course like Fishers or Monterey (or arguably in suburban NYC) just don't apply at a course in suburban Detroit...

Oakland Hills is average course with great greens. It shouldn't be top 100 now and it's near 100 with Hansen plan, not top 20 or 25. Do u understand that RTJ messed up the Ross bunker locations? There is no nuances around the greens. Putt on 1, play 6, 8, 9, and 11 and walk in. It's 5th or 6th best track in SE MI. Every course has history, hosting majors shouldn't elevate a course in rankings.

I was let down by Seminole. Idk I just thought the number 1 in Florida would be a cut above everything else. I’ve played well there and It’s phenomenal don’t get me wrong, if not a little quirky. Still go if you get a chance obviously

A friend has played it and said he really liked it, but said he didn't think it deserved being in the top 10 of US courses. Top 25 yes, but not top 10. However, aren't we splitting hairs here a little bit by saying a course is top 10 vs. top 25. Aren't they damn great golf courses anyway? I mean who are we to judge top 10 vs. top 25, other than it gives us something to talk about on gca or golfwrx.

Haven't played much in Florida, but in the next 5 years or so would look at buying a retirement home and join a private club I would love everyday.

Check out Broken Sound Golf Club in Boca Raton. I just got done playing the old course, I could play there everyday. It’s a sweet track, great clubhouse and locker room. Good practice facility (range is a smidge small, but double sided so).

Doral

Biltmore

TPC Sawgrass

Hmm, something about Florida golf.......Seminole and Streamsong are the exceptions of course, but the rest of what I've experienced in FL are just not my thing.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Oakland Hills is average course with great greens. It shouldn't be top 100 now and it's near 100 with Hansen plan, not top 20 or 25. Do u understand that RTJ messed up the Ross bunker locations? There is no nuances around the greens. Putt on 1, play 6, 8, 9, and 11 and walk in. It's 5th or 6th best track in SE MI. Every course has history, hosting majors shouldn't elevate a course in rankings.

Personally thought the entire back nine was top notch; 14-18 particularly stand out due to the variety of shots. Only thing that seemed a bit contrived on the hole course was the pond on 16 (however it is a beautiful hole). Bunkers were classic RTJ. I would put it in my personal top 10 with it close to top 5.

Haven't played much in MI (do a lot of work there, don't live there); curious what you would put above it? I have an in at TPC Deerborn but haven't payed there yet.

Very hard for everyone to have the same opinion about a course, even if we all played it under the exact same conditions, from when we arrived on the property to when we departed.

Some of us prefer blondes, some brunettes. Some like plain apple pie, some a’la mode, and some with cheese.

I agree that it requires a good deal of mind power to extract the “course proper” from the overall “experience” one has when factoring in the pampering and amenities we believe should accompany a top tier course.

It often may depend on your context when evaluating how a course fared vs expectations. I've been lucky enough to play some amazing courses in the past year, so that was my barometer for Oakland Hills. Camargo, Fishers Island, Monterey Peninsula, Quaker Ridge, Winged Foot West - I enjoyed those all more than Oakland Hills. Not saying I didn't enjoy OH, but the variety of holes and my overall enjoyment in the others was better than OH. But this always has so much personal preference involved that it's an art, not a science.

Personally thought the entire back nine was top notch; 14-18 particularly stand out due to the variety of shots. Only thing that seemed a bit contrived on the hole course was the pond on 16 (however it is a beautiful hole). Bunkers were classic RTJ. I would put it in my personal top 10 with it close to top 5.

Haven't played much in MI (do a lot of work there, don't live there); curious what you would put above it? I have an in at TPC Deerborn but haven't payed there yet.

16 and 17 is garbage. 17 has too bold of a green for a long par 3 that is uphill. The bunkers are on both sides of the fairway on half the holes, there is no strategy for a preferred angle, when RTJ ruined Ross work. The tie in's around the greens have no character or nuances. 15 you have center line bunkers with no room to go left or right. Now I can carry them, but it's another weak hole. It's best just to walk in after the 11th green, end on a great hole. 16 isn't the only contrived hole on the course, #7 might be the worst hole.

1. Orchard Lake

2. Franklin Hills

3. Meadowbrook

4. UofM

5. Indianwood old/Oakland Hills S

16 and 17 is garbage. 17 has too bold of a green for a long par 3 that is uphill. The bunkers are on both sides of the fairway on half the holes, there is no strategy for a preferred angle, when RTJ ruined Ross work. The tie in's around the greens have no character or nuances. 15 you have center line bunkers with no room to go left or right. Now I can carry them, but it's another weak hole. It's best just to walk in after the 11th green, end on a great hole. 16 isn't the only contrived hole on the course, #7 might be the worst hole.

1. Orchard Lake

2. Franklin Hills

3. Meadowbrook

4. UofM

We (and most of the golf community at large - www.golfdigest.com/gallery/the-best-us-open-venue-our-definitive-ranking/amp) are going to have to agree to disagree (lol). Thanks for the MI suggestions!

Prestwick, really

What did you expect?

Its a super small club, Home of the First Open Championship.

Its part of history, if they made you play with a gutta percha and hickorys

maybe then you would appreciate it?

were you disappointed when you saw the Declaration of Independance

"just an old wrinkled piece of paper"

no wonder they can't stand Americans

TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange 60
Titleist TS2 16.5 Motore X 75
Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85
Titleist 818H1 23* Diamana 90

Ping i500 5-7, iBlade 8-Pw 
Ping Glide 53, 58, Callaway 64*
Kevin Burns “Icemakr” custom
Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
“kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)

1. Orchard Lake

2. Franklin Hills

3. Meadowbrook

4. UofM

We (and most of the golf community at large - www.golfdigest.com/gallery/the-best-us-open-venue-our-definitive-ranking/amp) are going to have to agree to disagree (lol). Thanks for the MI suggestions!

To be fair I live in the area and Tads opinion is shared by MANY around here who have played all over the city. He is not necessarily an outlier. I would also suggest that the USGA and the membership mostly agree with him too as the USGA has told them they won't get another open until they make major changes to the golf course (they haven't had a US Open since 1996) and the membership is about to put a huge sum of money into completely redoing it.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

We (and most of the golf community at large - www.golfdigest.com/gallery/the-best-us-open-venue-our-definitive-ranking/amp) are going to have to agree to disagree (lol).

I must have missed something, but how does that link support OHS? Even if it was included in that ranking (by 10 random people), the criteria are pretty meaningless from a golf course quality perspective:

We asked a panel of 10 Golf Digest contributors to rank their favorite Open courses, based on factors such as course layout, tradition, past winners and excitement produced.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Anyone played Riviera? Curious about the experience.

I really enjoyed Riv - great collection of golf holes. The “experience” is a bit diminished by the corporate feel of the place; it feels like a machine pumping out profit. But that didn’t tarnish what I felt was a truly great test of golf. I think its ranking(s) are appropriate though. Not the best I’ve played, but very good. LACC is better.

Pinehurst # 2 and Harbor Town.

I've never thought that Pinehurst #2 is overrated, I find it fascinating. Its not visually stunning, in fact its pretty understated. Its not difficult to drive the ball in fairways. But its hard to hit and hold greens, chipping and putting is challenging, and I've usually seen it in good conditions. I'd be interested to hear what you (and the others who don't particularly care for it) didn't like about it.

I think people get butt hurt about being eviscerated by a course that's right in front of you and has no rough. I also think some hacks get sour about having to walk.

Pinehurst # 2 and Harbor Town.

I've never thought that Pinehurst #2 is overrated, I find it fascinating. Its not visually stunning, in fact its pretty understated. Its not difficult to drive the ball in fairways. But its hard to hit and hold greens, chipping and putting is challenging, and I've usually seen it in good conditions. I'd be interested to hear what you (and the others who don't particularly care for it) didn't like about it.

I think people get butt hurt about being eviscerated by a course that's right in front of you and has no rough. I also think some hacks get sour about having to walk.

I know one of the guys I was paired up with was complain about walking. He was to cheap to get a caddie I suppose. Definitely put a damper on things and probably took away from.m my enjoyment. I definitely want to play it again to see things that I missed. I actually played really well. My goal was to beak 85 and shot an 80. I was shooting for the middle of the greens and trying to make pars. Birded holes 6 and 18. Stuck my second shot on 18 to about 5 feet. I was probably a little underwhelmed by the price tag as well. The service at the entire resort was th best I’ve ever had though.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I am very surprised with some of the courses being mentioned here as a "disappointment". Let's keep it in perspective that the following IMO shouldn't factor into your "disappointment":

1. You had to pay $100 for a caddie

2. You didn't get a guest locker in the member locker room

3. You couldn't buy anything in the pro shop with cash or CC

4. You couldn't take a cart

5. There was slow play

6. Your 5th beer in the clubhouse had slightly more head on it

7. They didn't offer you an honorary membership

8. The had to hit off mats on the range

9. The halfway house didn't have your back 9 bar

10. You didn't get your a** kissed

It's layout, architecture, condition...... IMO only.

Another erroneous factor in judging a course is your score when playing it for the first time. if you hack it up, it usually isn't the fault of the course. Tough courses often take time to learn which misses will kill you.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

Anyone played Riviera? Curious about the experience.

I really enjoyed Riv - great collection of golf holes. The “experience” is a bit diminished by the corporate feel of the place; it feels like a machine pumping out profit. But that didn’t tarnish what I felt was a truly great test of golf. I think its ranking(s) are appropriate though. Not the best I’ve played, but very good. LACC is better.

Playing there in August and will let you know how amazing it will be as my expectations are pretty high for this track. Will leave only LACC to play in So Cal, which is probably the best but I can't comment as I haven't played.

Also checking out Bel Air after the Doak renovation and HIllcrest.

1. Orchard Lake

2. Franklin Hills

3. Meadowbrook

4. UofM

To be fair I live in the area and Tads opinion is shared by MANY around here who have played all over the city. He is not necessarily an outlier. I would also suggest that the USGA and the membership mostly agree with him too as the USGA has told them they won't get another open until they make major changes to the golf course (they haven't had a US Open since 1996) and the membership is about to put a huge sum of money into completely redoing it.

I think they voted down the renovation:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20160712/NEWS/160719943/oakland-hills-membership-rejects-11-million-south-course-renovation