Extremely Sketchy Recoil Prototype Listing on EBay. Likely fake.

Jagpilotohio

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am buying anything, I think I have the right to ask questions about price,condition, legitimacy, but as the old saying goes, if it sounds to good to be true, better run.

If you feel that they might be counterfeit, why even purchase them or entertain the idea of buying them from the seller. Just like buyers who purchase knock off Golfpride multicompound grips. It's your choice to buy them knowing what you might already know. It's not like you have found a secret that only you know of. Just deal with somebody maybe more reputable and skip the headaches of hoping they are legit.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

If I am buying anything, I think I have the right to ask questions about price,condition, legitimacy, but as the old saying goes, if it sounds to good to be true, better run.

If you feel that they might be counterfeit, why even purchase them or entertain the idea of buying them from the seller. Just like buyers who purchase knock off Golfpride multicompound grips. It's your choice to buy them knowing what you might already know. It's not like you have found a secret that only you know of. Just deal with somebody maybe more reputable and skip the headaches of hoping they are legit.

The "why" always comes down to $. At $80/shaft, some people won't even consider them. If they can get them for 1/2 that, maybe it's a different story. It's the same thing with the used market. Will I ever spend $300+ on a premium driver shaft? No way. Will I buy one second hand for 1/2 that? Yes. There are risks that go along with it, which is why we are here.

If it seems too good to be true, it usually is, except for those rare occasions when it isn't, and you get a great deal. Everyone is hoping for the good deal and OP was just looking out for some of the community here.

• 5 months later...

I picked up a set of the Proto's for the hell of it so we shall see. Anyone else take the dive with feedback?

I told you on the other thread that this guys shafts are fake. I’ve reported him multiple times and eBay doesn’t give a damn. UST knows about it but they won’t bother to do anything. Lazy idiots. His wood shafts are all fake as well.

People are trying to convince themselves that this is legit because they WANT to believe it. Prototypes WHOLESALE for more than he’s selling them for,

HES AT $190 a set AND ENCOURAGING LOWER OFFERS!! They are absolutely unequivocally fake. He’s taking $25-27 a shaft for them for craps sake. Less 10% for eBay and free shipping!!! This is absolutely SCREAMING at everyone to stay away but he’s selling tons of them. He has an endless supply of them from asia and he is 100% not getting them from UST Mamiya. Probably buying them for $10 bucks a piece.

If you buy these you are buying utter garbage.

I have been eying the attas T2 this guy has for sale for awhile. Is everything he sells fake? Why fake a bunch of UST shafts? I am in no way defending the sales of too good to be true recoil proto shafts. Just seems strange he would sell other UST stuff around market value.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

Why are you so sure of this? He has sold 49 sets of these shafts don't you think UST would respect there accts and do something about him? Sorry Jag I'm not convinced. If I'm not mistaken you said the same thing about my 14's and they proved to be 100% legit. I guarantee UST knows he is selling these sets. There is no way they do not, I'm guessing they are not lazy idiots as you suggest. What is your proof these are fake less the dollars since it screams fake as you say? Deals are made all of the time.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I have been eying the attas T2 this guy has for sale for awhile. Is everything he sells fake? Why fake a bunch of UST shafts? I am in no way defending the sales of too good to be true recoil proto shafts. Just seems strange he would sell other UST stuff around market value.

It’s all fake. UST stuff has had massive counterfeit issues since last early summer.

Recoil Prototypes retail for $80 a shaft and UST only sells them to specific accounts that are also certified fitters.

They are NOT selling to this guy. For gods sake, they COST $40 a shaft to the legitimate dealers. How on gods green earth can he sell a seemingly unlimited supply for $25 bucks and is not even a Certified dealer to boot? He can’t. It’s actually stupid that he’s gone so low that it’s now obvious they’re fake. When he started this charade a few months ago he was at least At $40 a shaft. At wholesale he could at least spin a story that he bought some from a dealer that was going out of business or something like that. Now it’s just stupid. He has no possible story that makes sense.

Everyone loves a deal and are convincing themselves this is somehow legit when deep down people know better.

Well I will do my due diligence then report back after they arrive. I'm the buyer I have protections doesn't worry me one bit. These shafts have been around forever I can see a dumping spot without fail it's how the business works. That's just me, everyone has a different tolerance and I have a deep understanding of equipment. I will however not vouch for this seller everyone should always be careful indeed. If I do find out they are fakes and they could be I will ring it from the mountain tops for the community.

Edit: Truth in lending I requested cancellation of the order and he was very nice about refunding the payment. He did however again defend the authenticity of these shafts. I'm still not totally convinced they are fake.

There’s no way to know. Shafts are incrediblly easy to counterfeit. There are also no serial numbers anymore to check. There used to be on the early ones.

They aren’t being closed out so UST is not “dumping” them with this guy. They don’t know him and he’s not a dealer. Call UST and ask on Monday. I did already.

Will Peoples is a sponsor here. He sells real ones. I’ve bought from him many times. Call Will Peoples and ask him how he thinks this guy can sell shafts at below wholesale. He knows about this idiot. It’s sad that he keeps scamming people and UST doesn’t go after him with lawyers. They just don’t care enough to spend the money to do it and the market is getting flooded with tons of fake junk.

There’s no way to know. Shafts are incrediblly easy to counterfeit. There are also no serial numbers anymore to check. There used to be on the early ones.

They aren’t being closed out so UST is not “dumping” them with this guy. They don’t know him and he’s not a dealer. Call UST and ask on Monday. I did already.

Will Peoples is a sponsor here. He sells real ones. I’ve bought from him many times. Call Will Peoples and ask him how he thinks this guy can sell shafts at below wholesale. He knows about this idiot. It’s sad that he keeps scamming people and UST doesn’t go after him with lawyers. They just don’t care enough to spend the money to do it and the market is getting flooded with tons of fake junk.

So you are insisting they are fake but also admitting there is no way to know.

So you are insisting they are fake but also admitting there is no way to know.

Oh my god. You Can’t be serious.

Of course there is. Send them to the manufacturer. I can’t tell by looking at them. The buyer has no way of knowing they are fake by looking at them.

If you are not going to read the other posts I will summarize again. I’m saying it is impossible they are real given the circumstances.

They retail for $80. They cost $40 wholesale. He sells them for $25 with free shipping. He is not an authorized UST dealer. They do not sell to him.

....yet he seems to have an endless supply of them at an impossible price.

If you ask him where he gets them he simply says, “don’t you worry about where I get them, they’re the real thing.” ....yeah. Sure buddy.

This is an extreme example of “If it seems to good to be true, it probably is”.

Found this seller earlier today and now just discovered this thread. It does seem fishy, but $50 isn't a whole lot and I'll know pretty quickly whether it's real or fake. If it turns out to be fake then I'll contact ebay and see if they can get my money back, but worst comes to worst I'll lose $50 and we'll all know to stay away. At that price it's worth a try.

Found this seller earlier today and now just discovered this thread. It does seem fishy, but $50 isn't a whole lot and I'll know pretty quickly whether it's real or fake. If it turns out to be fake then I'll contact ebay and see if they can get my money back, but worst comes to worst I'll lose $50 and we'll all know to stay away. At that price it's worth a try.

Do you have legit shafts from SPX dealers to compare to? How do you plan on comparing?

It kills me that some guys aren’t getting the simplicity of this and so badly want them to be real.

Let’s use cars. I like cars.

A New Ferrari 488 GTB is $252,000 base price. There are a very limited number available and only sold through authorized Ferrari dealerships.

I see an add on eBay for one for $80,000 from a dealer no one has ever heard of and that I know Ferrari does not sell to because they told me this directly. It’s 1/3 of list price, And he has lots of them available at this price.

Do I possibly think for one split second think that this makes sense? Of course not. It’s obviously impossible.

It’s impossible to sell seemingly endless amounts of product for less than the manufacturer actually charges for them wholesale.

It kills me that some guys aren’t getting the simplicity of this and so badly want them to be real.

A New Ferrari 488 GTB is $252,000 base price. There are a very limited number available and only sold through authorized Ferrari dealerships.

I see an add on eBay for one for $80,000 from a dealer no one has ever heard of and that I know Ferrari does not sell to because they told me this directly. It’s 1/3 of list price, And he has lots of them available at this price.

Do I possibly think for one split second think that this makes sense? Of course not. It’s obviously impossible.

It’s impossible to sell seemingly endless amounts of product for less than the manufacturer actually charges for them wholesale.

Yea but what about the Ferrari Fairy?

If you wish hard enough, can't it be true? I always thought that is how it worked. It sucks that this guy is still around. To your point, you really can't buy used protos anymore because there is a chance they are this fakes that are flooding the market. It's a shame ust won't do anything about it. In the end, it'll just hurt their reputation because people are going to have crap shafts and think they are legit.

Do you have legit shafts from SPX dealers to compare to? How do you plan on comparing?

I work in golf and have a real version to compare to. Also I just sent $40 to him for a shaft this morning and learned a couple things. Paypal gave me his name, so I did some googleing and it appears that he is the President and Co-Chief Executive Officer of Golf Etc which is a TourSPX dealer. Take everything with a grain of salt I know, but according to paypal his account is verified which would mean he would have to sent paypal a picture of his ID. After learning all of this it appears he is selling real shafts. Maybe one of his stores closed down and he is trying to liquidate inventory quick. We'll know for sure when the shaft arrives.

My "opinion" after years of doing this these shafts are real. It's just a great deal so peeps can't get there arms around it and others don't want to loose business. I get that but sometimes it's not what it appears. The manufacturer knows that so it's a marginalized process exactly how they would want it to be.

If you wish hard enough, can't it be true? I always thought that is how it worked. It sucks that this guy is still around. To your point, you really can't buy used protos anymore because there is a chance they are this fakes that are flooding the market. It's a shame ust won't do anything about it. In the end, it'll just hurt their reputation because people are going to have crap shafts and think they are legit.

Yes. Thank you! Someone finally gets the overriding point.

In addition to a great many unknowing buyers getting fleeced, All of us crazy gear heads can’t possibly trust buying used Prototypes anymore because this bozo is literally flooding the market with Hong Kong crapola.

I work in golf and have a real version to compare to. Also I just sent $40 to him for a shaft this morning and learned a couple things. Paypal gave me his name, so I did some googleing and it appears that he is the President and Co-Chief Executive Officer of Golf Etc which is a TourSPX dealer. Take everything with a grain of salt I know, but according to paypal his account is verified which would mean he would have to sent paypal a picture of his ID. After learning all of this it appears he is selling real shafts. Maybe one of his stores closed down and he is trying to liquidate inventory quick. We'll know for sure when the shaft arrives.

And the guy is taking a 40-50% loss on every shaft he sells?? Why the hell wouldn’t he at least try to break even at $40 a shaft? Gambling problem? Bad cocaine habit? And why would he have dozens and dozens of sets just sitting around in stock?? He wouldn’t. No one keeps a massive inventory of high end iron shafts just sitting around. It would be insane. There is no reason to when UST can ship more out to you on a moments notice with just a phone call.

I’m not buying it. No bueno.

Just maybe he knows somebody and he's a dumping ground. But I digress, only seen it 100x in the golf biz. You did say both Ebay and UST haven't given a turd right?? That's by accident? None of the 50 peeps who have purchased didn't have he pedigree to determine authenticity? No negative feedback regarding authenticity?

With this info he is either selling legit stuff at a loss or and more likely knowingly selling knock off recoil iron shafts. Like some of us I want to believe they are real and I am going to buy a wedge shaft to compare to a real wedge shaft I have. When I get it I will post pics.

WITB:

Or he is supported and dumping excessive inventory, just saying. Quick and painless. As I stated I cancelled my order don't want anyone to think I'm selling fakes on BST someday. I do however feel I'm passing on a good deal.

I just bought a wedge shaft. It says it will be here Thursday. I will post pics when it arrives and put an end to this. Or start a huge discussion about if it is real or not.

WITB:

These are what I received when ordering proto’s off ebay. I have no clue if these are what you will get, nor if they are real or fake. I am leaning towards the latter which is why they are not in irons yet. I am way outside my paypal claim window, so hopefully you guys will prove me wrong. I have no way of comparing them to real, so the poster above will solve that for you guys.

I can get more/different pictures if need be. Also if anyone is close to Syracuse NY, i will come show you them in person.

The only real way to verify is with two new, uncut, identical spec shafts (ideally a set), see where they frequency in relation to each other. If they are within a few cpm, maybe they are legit. Unless you are dealing with two uncut shafts, it might be difficult to tell due to all the other variables. Weight will also be a way to check.

The logic here definitely doesn't make sense. If these were 3yrs old and they were just dumping stock for new models, I'd say it'd make more sense. If it was one or two sets, ok...I'll buy it. The huge supply that he has really makes me wonder though.

Maybe he has a friend at the mfg plant and sends him boxes that fell off the truck. Maybe they are shafts that were out of spec for their SPX program. At this point, who knows.

Whatever guys. I throw in the towel.

Perhaps UST has quietly decided to discontinue this shaft or this paint scheme and offered this guy hundreds of shafts at half of thier wholesale price to move thier entire remaining inventory. This is the only possible case that even remotely makes sense.

The seller is incredibly evasive and won’t answer a question directly. If you ask where he got them he won’t tell you. He just says to “Don’t worry about it. Just trust me, they’re real”. Well....I don’t. Not one bit. Exchanging emails with him proved utterly worthless.

If UST is secretly liquidating their entire Proto inventory through this guy dirt cheap,....then I’M WRONG. I’ll admit it now amd apologize in advance and be done with it. But there has been no word of this anywhere.