Membership to Club in Chicago

Bay1524

For guys who live in the city and are willing to drive south, there are good options. Olympia Fields, Beverly and Flossmoor are the best golf courses, but there are deals other places.

I get to Chicago on a regular basis for work and family and joined Olympia as a national member. It's really good. Was at The Bev last week and I really love that place. I have only played Flossmoor once and the golf is really good.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W: TaylorMade Sim Titanium

Irons: PXG XP Gen 5 Steelfiber shafts
Wedges: PXG Sugar Daddy II 50 degrees. Vokey SM9 56, 60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5S

Hi Everyone - First post for me. I'm 30yrs old and live in River North. I'm looking to join somewhere within a reasonable drive (45 minutes-ish) and I'm inclined to check out Beverly first. Anyone have any advice/in's there? I believe you need to be invited by a member. Thanks a bunch.

You should take a look at Midlothian. Less than 25 mins in light traffic from RN. Great historic course. I'd be happy to help set up a prospective member round to see the course. Great deal for under 40.

Personally, I think the south side courses are too far from the Gold Coast. I would definitely look into Exmoor Country Club in Highland Park. It's an old Donald Ross design with incredible greens. It also has tennis courts, a pool, paddle courts and a new paddle hutt. The clubhouse is spectacular as well. It's as nice a club that I've been too.

Exmoor is great, but I think non-tribe is frowned upon, if that's an issue for Martin. I could be wrong, and maybe I'm thinking of northmoor...but I freaking loved exmoor. If that's an option, it's a good one.

Westmoreland is also awesome.

Exmoor is not a Jewish club. You are right that its Northmoor you are thinking of. That said, I'm not a member but I love Exmoor. If it was a little closer to my house I would join in a second. If you want Skeet shooting in the winter plus a solid golf course I recommend checking out Sunset Ridge in Northfield.

• 3 months later...

For guys who live in the city and are willing to drive south, there are good options. Olympia Fields, Beverly and Flossmoor are the best golf courses, but there are deals other places.

I get to Chicago on a regular basis for work and family and joined Olympia as a national member. It's really good. Was at The Bev last week and I really love that place. I have only played Flossmoor once and the golf is really good.

Considering joining as a national member as well. How do you like it? Do you ever use the overnight rooms?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone - First post for me. I'm 30yrs old and live in River North. I'm looking to join somewhere within a reasonable drive (45 minutes-ish) and I'm inclined to check out Beverly first. Anyone have any advice/in's there? I believe you need to be invited by a member. Thanks a bunch.

a friend of mine joined Ridge and I played out there with him before the end of the year this fall. Super fun old school track, members were awesome. condition was good.

itasca is also solid track now that the water issue is generally resolved thanks to the oak meadows renovations. < 2 min from my home, its off itasca train stop as well lots of city members train in and back. value wise tough to beat

Have you looked at river forest cc?

Close to oak meadows

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

• 1 month later...

Hi There,

For those looking for a private club close to downtown, check out Riverside Golf Club. It’s 10 miles west of the loop and just completed renovations to the course, pool, and clubhouse. PM me if you would like more details.

BUMP!!

Moved to Chicago last September got settled and now looking for a club.

Live in the nw part of the city and have read the forum...sounds like a few good clubs in the south.

But just google mapped Flossmoor and Idlewild and its over an hour.

Don't mind a drive but would prefer shorter than an hour.

What about any good courses/deals west or north?

Not a junior so can't get those deals and really don't want to drop $100k.

Appreciate any input.

• 2 weeks later...

a friend of mine joined Ridge and I played out there with him before the end of the year this fall. Super fun old school track, members were awesome. condition was good.

itasca is also solid track now that the water issue is generally resolved thanks to the oak meadows renovations. < 2 min from my home, its off itasca train stop as well lots of city members train in and back. value wise tough to beat

Anyone have updated pricing on Itasca now that it’s under new ownership?

Hi Guys,

Wanted some info on Lost Dunes and Dunes Club. I know they are a ways out of city but want to get personal opinions on each course and the atmosphere at both places. If anyone has some info feel free to share or PM me.

Thanks

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Hi Guys,

Wanted some info on Lost Dunes and Dunes Club. I know they are a ways out of city but want to get personal opinions on each course and the atmosphere at both places. If anyone has some info feel free to share or PM me.

Thanks

Lost Dunes was awesome. Great course and a cool atmosphere. We stayed overnight in one of the cabins which was a cool experience.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Lost Dunes is pretty awesome and not a bad drive from the city. Also, they have a heli pad set up in front of the clubhouse for trips from the city haha.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Seems like this thread keeps chugging even with the delays so I'll bump it again..

30s living in Wicker Park considering a club. Find myself playing Indian Boundry, Meadows Blue Island, and Harborside more than I care to admit - but they're so close.

Ridge, Beverly, Riverside, Oak Park, Ridgemoor, Bryn Mawr, Heron Creek look to be the best options based on proximity.

Anyone have details on fees and dues or the scene at these places? It would be great to find a crowd in a similar demographic. I passed on expensive (~$10k+) memberships a couple years back and I'd prefer to stay on the lower end of initiation and dues. A pool and gym would be ideal, but realize that may only come at the higher buy in.

Thanks for any help!

Seems like this thread keeps chugging even with the delays so I'll bump it again..

30s living in Wicker Park considering a club. Find myself playing Indian Boundry, Meadows Blue Island, and Harborside more than I care to admit - but they're so close.

Ridge, Beverly, Riverside, Oak Park, Ridgemoor, Bryn Mawr, Heron Creek look to be the best options based on proximity.

Anyone have details on fees and dues or the scene at these places? It would be great to find a crowd in a similar demographic. I passed on expensive (~$10k+) memberships a couple years back and I'd prefer to stay on the lower end of initiation and dues. A pool and gym would be ideal, but realize that may only come at the higher buy in.

Thanks for any help!

It is a lot about what you are looking for out of a course. Beverly is a solid golf club. they took out the pool, ridge doesn't have a driving range. North courses will require a larger initiation fee than south side courses. If you are looking under a 10k initiation fee Beverly, Riverside, Ridgemoor, and Bryn Mawr would probably be out. As people mentioned earlier if you are willing to drive a few more miles south the prices drop.

Thanks for any help!

It is a lot about what you are looking for out of a course. Beverly is a solid golf club. they took out the pool, ridge doesn't have a driving range. North courses will require a larger initiation fee than south side courses. If you are looking under a 10k initiation fee Beverly, Riverside, Ridgemoor, and Bryn Mawr would probably be out. As people mentioned earlier if you are willing to drive a few more miles south the prices drop.

Anyone have fee info on Oak Park? We just moved to the area and were considering that and Riverside. PM if necessary.

I looked into Ridgemoor but felt it was a bit steep for the under 40 Associate membership (no discounts on initiation), especially considering a lot of the South suburb clubs were offering very accommodative initiation fee packages, Flossmoor had a deal that was tough to beat given the quality of the course and greens. I hear Olympia Fields is also offering a decent package for new members. Not sure what’s going on with Calumet but heard rumors it was being bought by either Fedex or Amazon (could be unfounded but he rumor mill is always interesting).

Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60X
Ping G400 3 wood - UST Mamiya VTS Silver SX
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron - GD AD DI 95X
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52, 56, 60 - DG
Evnroll ER2

Played Flossmoor last year as a guest. I could play that course everyday and not get tired of it. Gorgeous course with a unique clubhouse.

Shocked more 40 and under aren't members. Could easily see it in my top 5 in Chicago and I prefer it to Old Elm. A friend of mine was an Olympia member and the day he played Floss, he quit OF and joined Flossmoor.

Played Flossmoor last year as a guest. I could play that course everyday and not get tired of it. Gorgeous course with a unique clubhouse.

Shocked more 40 and under aren't members. Could easily see it in my top 5 in Chicago and I prefer it to Old Elm. A friend of mine was an Olympia member and the day he played Floss, he quit OF and joined Flossmoor.

Really? Perhaps he didn’t quit Olympia fields but simply joined another private?

Hard to see giving up the initiation at OF which I don’t think is refundable.

Really? Perhaps he didn’t quit Olympia fields but simply joined another private?

Hard to see giving up the initiation at OF which I don’t think is refundable.

Nope, he did quit and joined that day. I'm sure the initiation was much lower 5 years ago or next to nothing for under 40. I'm curious if those steel tariffs are going to revive the South side clubs.

• 2 weeks later...

Crystal Tree has a great pool, gym and tennis courts. It is a little farther out from the city than Ridge, but in my opinion has much better facilities including a driving range. I grew up on Ridge as a kid it is a great track but not having a driving range stinks!

I'm a social member at Crystal Tree and I have to agree except for the gym. The gym is fine but nothing special. The pool is top notch though. We are there multiple times per week. It is great for young families. You can stand in the pool with a drink and socialize while the kiddos swim. Can't beat that IMO.