2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Quicken Loans National @ TPC Potomac

Creedo77

Just read this. Tiger throwing some post-round shade at the USGA:

"One of the neat things about playing an Open Championship - they don't really care what par is. They just let whatever Mother Nature has--if it's in store for a wet Open it is; if it's dry it's dry. They don't try and manufacture an Open."

I know it's a bit of a dead horse I'm beating here, but they just played outside of Hartford and DC in the two weeks following Shinnecock. As the crow flies, Hartford is ~50 miles and DC is ~250 away from Shinnecock, so we're not talking drastically different climates or grass types. And yet only one of the three courses struggled to have puttable greens that were, you know, green.

If someone of Tiger's stature keeps on beating this horse maybe it'd lead to the USGA ceding some control back to the local superintendents of their chosen venues? A guy can dream can't he?

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The players said the course this week was in perfect shape. The super would have preferred it to be dryer and faster, but it rained for a week straight leading up to the tourney. By Sunday it was almost where they wanted it. I followed Molanari all day, and that dude was a machine. It's crazy to see in person when someone is that dialed in - he made it look so easy. Avanel is a tough course and he tore it up.

I was just watching Tigers 2000 swing other day and it is amazing to me that he changed it under Haney even if he did have success. He more than likely would of had greater success had he kept his swing, it was that good

He changed it because he had to. The 2000 swing put a lot of stress on his left knee.

haha, yea right.... I've heard that one too. He didn't leave Butch because of his knee, thats for sure

I was just watching Tigers 2000 swing other day and it is amazing to me that he changed it under Haney even if he did have success. He more than likely would of had greater success had he kept his swing, it was that good

He changed it because he had to. The 2000 swing put a lot of stress on his left knee.

haha, yea right.... I've heard that one too. He didn't leave Butch because of his knee, thats for sure

You do realize he ended up having surgery on that knee a few years later, right? That 2000 swing involved straightening the right knee at impact.

Haney said that Tiger was worried about protecting his knee when they first started working together. I doubt he made that up.

I do believe that Butch's personality rubbed Tiger the wrong way at times.

You do realize he ended up having surgery on that knee a few years later, right? That 2000 swing involved straightening the right knee at impact.

Haney said that Tiger was worried about protecting his knee when they first started working together. I doubt he made that up.

you don't think he still doesn't straighten his knee? He still snapped it straight with Haney. It wasn't the 2000 swing that was causing him to snap his knee straight, he just did it for more power. His knee issues go all the way back to earlier swing in the early 90's.

Let's hear from Tiger himself:

Speaking on Tiger Geno Auriemma’s “Holding Court” podcast last week, the 14-time major champion spoke honestly about why it’s not as simple as going back to his 2000 swing:

“I can’t. My knee is trashed from all those years of playing that way. I’ve had four operations on my knee. Forget when my back was bad; pre-surgery and pre-back problems, people were saying the same thing: ‘Why don’t you go back to 2000?’ I can’t; my knee’s trashed from playing that way, I can’t do that anymore. I have to look for a different way.”

But Tiger’s swing was so harsh that it began having a deteriorating effect on his body, specifically in his left knee. So, in 2003 Tiger made the controversial decision to leave coach Butch Harmon — a move Golf Channel analyst Brandel Chamblee said “destroyed” his dominance. In reality, it wasn’t as much a choice as it was a necessity.

He opted instead for Hank Haney, who re-tooled his swing to make it more graceful and easier on his body. He won his next six majors using that move, boasted the best PGA Tour win percentage of his career, and staved-off injuries for years.

It was the right move — the only move, really — but somehow, those realities too often get conveniently forgotten.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/11/tiger-woods-200-swing-butch-harmon-hank-haney

Let's hear from Tiger himself:

Speaking on Tiger Geno Auriemma’s “Holding Court” podcast last week, the 14-time major champion spoke honestly about why it’s not as simple as going back to his 2000 swing:

“I can’t. My knee is trashed from all those years of playing that way. I’ve had four operations on my knee. Forget when my back was bad; pre-surgery and pre-back problems, people were saying the same thing: ‘Why don’t you go back to 2000?’ I can’t; my knee’s trashed from playing that way, I can’t do that anymore. I have to look for a different way.”

But Tiger’s swing was so harsh that it began having a deteriorating effect on his body, specifically in his left knee. So, in 2003 Tiger made the controversial decision to leave coach Butch Harmon — a move Golf Channel analyst Brandel Chamblee said “destroyed” his dominance. In reality, it wasn’t as much a choice as it was a necessity.

He opted instead for Hank Haney, who re-tooled his swing to make it more graceful and easier on his body. He won his next six majors using that move, boasted the best PGA Tour win percentage of his career, and staved-off injuries for years.

It was the right move — the only move, really — but somehow, those realities too often get conveniently forgotten.

https://ftw.usatoday...rmon-hank-haney

I've seen all this before... he still snapped his knee straight with the others which is extension. All he had to do was not snap it as hard which is more than likely just what he did after. Tiger is just trying to justify what he did or maybe he believes that to make him feel better. Getting your arms up higher doesn't thrash your knee.

LOL ok I am sure you know better than Tiger.

Below are 4 Tiger swings. On only one of he swings does his right foot slide towards his left after impact. Why does that only happen on the 2000 swing?

that was just one swing, who knows what he was trying to do with that shot. Certainly doesn't do that other times back then

there is no question in my mind, the swing was 1,000 times better back then for him and his body, could of made minor tweaks here and there if needed

"No question in my mind".........the self proclaimed experts here never cease to amaze me. Do you seriously think you know better than Tiger what was best for his game? :cheesy:

For the record Tiger won 6 of the 23 majors he entered under Haney. He won 31 of his 93 PGA Tour starts under Haney in spite of worsening health.

Below are 4 Tiger swings. On only one of he swings does his right foot slide towards his left after impact. Why does that only happen on the 2000 swing?

You do realize it was the left leg that snapped straight and not the right?

You do realize that I made no mention of his right knee snapping straight, right?

You do realize it was the left leg that snapped straight and not the right?

You do realize that I made no mention of his right knee snapping straight, right?

You sure you didn’t say it?

Ive seen zero evidence that tiger woods move the so called needle, attendances haven't risen since tigers return

https://www.google.c...ings-in-5-years

It reads:

"ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Tiger Woods was one shot away from a chance to win, and the PGA Tour had its largest television audience in five years.

NBC Sports Group says the final round of the Valspar Championship earned a 5.11 overnight rating, up 190 percent over the previous year and the highest-rated PGA Tour broadcast since Woods won The Players Championship in 2013. That doesn't include the majors.

Woods, returning from a fourth back surgery, was one shot out of the lead going into the final round. He had a 40-foot birdie attempt on the 18th hole to force a playoff with Paul Casey and came up short.

Golf Channel's two-hour window before the NBC telecast Sunday earned a 1.65 rating, its highest-rated coverage for the lead-in window since it began in 2009."

https://www.golfchan...orld-challenge/

Falsifying stats to sell advertising, now that would be a novel idea. What about the cold hard facts, the 2018 Arnold Palmer invitational attendance was slightly lower over the 4 day period than the previous year

http://www.golfwrx.com/521886/tiger-gave-a-big-boost-to-quicken-loans-national-ratings-and-nearly-every-tournament-hes-played-this-year/

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

I wish they'd go back to Congressional, I miss seeing that course....

The championship course is under renovation right now, they are trying to make it tougher in hopes of bringing back a US Open. Apparently a lot of the trees that guard the OB on certain holes are being taken out. Should be interesting. Love that course.

The championship course is under renovation right now, they are trying to make it tougher in hopes of bringing back a US Open. Apparently a lot of the trees that guard the OB on certain holes are being taken out. Should be interesting. Love that course.

it’s not under renovation yet. I played it last week

Worked for a member from there today.....

They have to redo their green starting early next year. They've already removed several trees in the last 18 months.

The membership doesnt really get along with the USGA (who does) so its not a foregone conclusion that they're going to get another US Open but with all the revamps they're doing they're definitely hoping that they do get one.

• 2 weeks later...

That’s a big stretch.. it’s the Open. It’s Carnoustie. That wind.

nonono

Doing well, sure. Calling a win 3 weeks before the tournament?? Not this guy.

Ho hum...

I hope you had him at 40-1

Unfortunate, no gambling here, legally, but I didn’t pick him in my one and done. I should have jumped into a pool.