Drones on the Golf Course

I play on a course thats in a fairly large neighborhood. On a few occasions, I’ve seen a drone on the driving range approximately 200 feet in the air. Not close enough to be too much of a nuisance, although the constant buzzing sound did interrupt an otherwise peaceful day.

This evening, I went out for a quick 9 holes on my own. On the 8th hole, a drone appeared behind me and followed me until I had putted out on the 9th hole. When I say followed, I mean 15-20 feet above me for 15 minutes. It was incredibly annoying. There are easily a hundred different houses that would’ve been with range of this drone, so I have no way of knowing where it’s coming from. I was tempted to try a few flop shots at it. Anyone had a similar experience? Curious to know what legal options there are here.

with a lob wedge and a few Titleist this would be over quickly

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You hit a “stinger” at the drone take it out, it wobbles uncontrollably in the air and smokes a cyclist nearby before it crashes. The cyclist loses control and swerves into oncoming traffic, where a tanker truck is coming down the road. Hank (the trucker) throws down his Mountain Dew and immediately moves the wheel all the way left to avoid the biker, he jack knifes and careens into an old folks before it bursts into flames. Miraculously no one is injured.

if you’re gonna make an omelette, you’re gonna have to .................

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

I have said this before, but it is only a matter of time until upscale courses have drones on their carts giving you a real time fly over view of holes etc.

I won't be playing these courses.

I’m not sure this will ever be a thing. They could all use GPS to track conditions at this point in time. And it’s possible some do.

Mark Crossfield was down in Alabama and had a GPS cart . I have not seen any yet. Let alone an USB port . Why would anyone spend money on a $300 drone if I don’t have a USB port. Haha

You hit a “stinger†at the drone take it out, it wobbles uncontrollably in the air and smokes a cyclist nearby before it crashes. The cyclist loses control and swerves into oncoming traffic, where a tanker truck is coming down the road. Hank (the trucker) throws down his Mountain Dew and immediately moves the wheel all the way left to avoid the biker, he jack knifes and careens into an old folks before it bursts into flames. Miraculously no one is injured.

if you’re gonna make an omelette, you’re gonna have to .................

A few pros do this very thing on the golf digest YouTube channel

http://

Dang, some people get really unhinged by such little things. The drone was near by for what? 10 minutes, out of a 240 minute round of golf? And we have those that will shoot it down with a shotgun, throw clubs at it, destroy it at all costs and on and on. Really? 10 minutes and it pisses you off that much? That's less then 5% of the time you played.

I hope you guys don't deal with the public on a daily basis, we'd see dead people!

Dang, some people get really unhinged by such little things. The drone was near by for what? 10 minutes, out of a 240 minute round of golf? And we have those that will shoot it down with a shotgun, throw clubs at it, destroy it at all costs and on and on. Really? 10 minutes and it pisses you off that much? That's less then 5% of the time you played.

I hope you guys don't deal with the public on a daily basis, we'd see dead people!

You see dead people? Like on the course or nearby? Will the ball go thru them?

I would wave at first, hit my next shot and hope it went on it's way after getting a friendly encounter.

If it still followed me I would act like I'm about to take it out, hoping the person operating it gets the hint and flys away. Maybe huck a ball in its general direction.

If they still wouldn't leave me alone, then the drone is going to have an encounter with one of my least favorite clubs. I gave fair warning, after that pestering me becomes a violation of my personal space and fair enjoyment of the golf course and I will do what ever is needed to get rid of the annoyance.

Should the owner of the drone decide to try and find me, I hope they remember that I have a bag full of 4' metal sticks with heavy ends before violating my space again......

I paid for 100% drone free golfing, not 90 or 95%. Knocking a toy out of the sky is hardly equivalent to hurting people.

If your primary point is the amount of time played, amount of time the drone was following, and % of the round it was present, you should at least get the numbers right.

Aren't there aps available for download that are used to control a drone?

If so could the OP download an ap and take control from the owner? Serious question as I don't know the security features of the personal use type drones.

Drone has to be in "Wifi" mode and you need the WIFI password to connect to it.

I play on a course thats in a fairly large neighborhood. On a few occasions, I've seen a drone on the driving range approximately 200 feet in the air. Not close enough to be too much of a nuisance, although the constant buzzing sound did interrupt an otherwise peaceful day.

This evening, I went out for a quick 9 holes on my own. On the 8th hole, a drone appeared behind me and followed me until I had putted out on the 9th hole. When I say followed, I mean 15-20 feet above me for 15 minutes. It was incredibly annoying. There are easily a hundred different houses that would've been with range of this drone, so I have no way of knowing where it's coming from. I was tempted to try a few flop shots at it. Anyone had a similar experience? Curious to know what legal options there are here.

I have flown drones around me while playing golf. I do it just to get some cool pictures/video at angles that arent normal. To be clear though, I've only done it while playing by myself and would not hold up the course. I agree with you, that humming noise can be loud and annoying.

You have zero chance of finding out where it came from because these drones can fly up to 3 miles from its home point. The batteries, at max with no wind, will only last about 25 minutes. Although, if he was hovering for 15 minutes, he was not very far off the 9th hole and had confidence that he could return with ease.

You need to bring it up with the pro shop. The others are right, its air space and nothing you can do. Plus, you would be on the hook for damaging it assuming they can figure out that you did it. Most video won't have a clear enough picture at that height to be able to tell who it was. More than likely its a teenage golfer playing around and getting video for edit.

If the owner is flying FPV (which he almost certainly is if you can't see him), all it would take is for him to see you toss one or two golf balls softly toward his rig, and he should fly it away. They probably don't even have to get near. If he thinks there's a possibility of having to come find his crashed rig, he'll back off. He might just take it up 30 more feet and make a point of following you to annoying you, but he won't leave it hovering where he thinks you can get to it.

It doesn't take a "shot" to take one down, impact with a golf tee can crack a prop and cause it to get unstable. Tree branch impacts take down drones all the time. I'd be a little annoyed having one follow me on the course, but as someone said earlier the battery capacity of most drones is less than 20 minutes, so they are unlikely to be a continued annoyance.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Shotgun in the golf bag is the only right answer.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

All drones are required to register with the FAA and have some pretty specific rules governing the use of them, one of the reasons I don't fly radio control aircraft any more (flew more than 30 years) is because of these drone idiots, they think nothing of invading your space for "fun" and in most cases d their best to avoid responsibility for their actions. As for me I'd take it out with the 4 iron then stomp on it when it hit the ground....From my experience with some that fly them they really don't know where it is as they only have the screen for reference, like a video game.

Maybe if it happens again toss a couple clubs at it like "warning" shots. If they dont get the idea and fly off right away then i say a kill shot is most certainly allowable. Just make sure to yank and destroy the SD card. Then toss drone in some tall grass (after running it over with your cart of course we dont want any survivors here haha) and SD card goes in a pond.

Man you guys have not figured it out yet. It is the USGA checking to see if you are playing with conforming equipment and counting your strokes to make sure you are keeping a legitimate handicap :busted_cop: :tomato:

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Man you guys have not figured it out yet. It is the USGA checking to see if you are playing with conforming equipment and counting your strokes to make sure you are keeping a legitimate handicap :busted_cop: :tomato:

it's a conspiracy ! knew it

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Funny The guy at the front desk never seems to care what goes on at the course. Hmmm

And the Marshall drives by like an angry mailman after drinking a fifth of jack and yells something indiscernible.

And then on the second hole...

If your primary point is the amount of time played, amount of time the drone was following, and % of the round it was present, you should at least get the numbers right.

so that's the rule, if it takes less than 5% of the time you're out on the course, you shouldn't be bothered by it? Hmmm, I could probably do a lot of damage in 5 minutes time if I wanted to.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

so that's the rule, if it takes less than 5% of the time you're out on the course, you shouldn't be bothered by it? Hmmm, I could probably do a lot of damage in 5 minutes time if I wanted to.

That's not really the point I as trying to make. We have a lot of people looking to shoot it down, destroy it, etc. All for something that was a bit noisy and maybe even bothered someone for all of about 10 minutes. I just can't believe that people get all upset after 10 minutes. Even if I paid $200 for that round I don't see me getting that bent out of shape over a drone making some noise while I played hole.

Was the guy flying the drone disrespectful? Yes. Should the drone be there on the course? Nope. But it was one time, for 10 minutes. If wasn't like it followed anyone for an hour or disrupted their game. I guess I'm just old enough and retired I really don't let sh*t like that bother me.

Maybe the course is trying to discourage old men from peeing in the woods every three holes.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

All drones are required to register with the FAA and have some pretty specific rules governing the use of them, one of the reasons I don't fly radio control aircraft any more (flew more than 30 years) is because of these drone idiots, they think nothing of invading your space for "fun" and in most cases d their best to avoid responsibility for their actions. As for me I'd take it out with the 4 iron then stomp on it when it hit the ground....From my experience with some that fly them they really don't know where it is as they only have the screen for reference, like a video game.

Ditto, I haven't flown in about 2 years. It wasn't worth having my neighbors wonder whether I was "spying" on them... I'm back to running my trucks and rock crawlers. So much easier to find parts for and fix also, lol.

WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

All drones are not required to be registered by the FAA. The only drones that have to be registered are ones you use it for commercial purposes. A drone capable of doing fpv like this probably cost close to a grand or more and tossing a stick or something at it, assuming it’s that close, would probably back them off.

All drones are not required to be registered by the FAA. The only drones that have to be registered are ones you use it for commercial purposes. A drone capable of doing fpv like this probably cost close to a grand or more and tossing a stick or something at it, assuming it’s that close, would probably back them off.

True, there is a 250g weight limit for FAA registration that exempts many "toy" drones. That said, you can absolutely fly FPV with a relatively inexpensive toy drone. For under $200 you can get 1000 meter (2/3 mile) range under GPS control, 150m range under FPV control, and up to 250 meter altitude with a from something like a Hubsan 502S.

If it's something like a DJI Phantom or Mavic, then yeah they're in the $1000 range but you can get a rig capable of covering an entire golf course from the clubhouse for a fraction of that cost.

True, there is a 250g weight limit for FAA registration that exempts many "toy" drones. That said, you can absolutely fly FPV with a relatively inexpensive toy drone. For under $200 you can get 1000 meter (2/3 mile) range under GPS control, 150m range under FPV control, and up to 250 meter altitude with a from something like a Hubsan 502S.

If it's something like a DJI Phantom or Mavic, then yeah they're in the $1000 range but you can get a rig capable of covering an entire golf course from the clubhouse for a fraction of that cost.

True, the fpv range is gonna give out before the actual range on the cheaper drones. For those I believe the person would still have to be relatively close. I have a couple (MJX Bugs 3 and Force1 F100) that aren’t exactly toys but aren’t equipped with any bells and whistles just for fun flying. A mavic has like a 7 mile range and built in safeguards that would be more likely used for something like this.

it's a conspiracy ! knew it

On the plus side, you're now accompanied and can go ahead and post that solo round.