Minneapolis Courses - Help Me Choose

I lived in the Twin Cities for about 5 years and the golf there was fantastic. I haven't been back in about 9 years, but will be there for a week to golf in July. I would love some opinions from the locals on which courses I should prioritize and deprioritize based on how the courses are now.

Here are the courses I'm definitely playing: Chaska Town Course, Legends, Troy Burne, Stroneridge. I'm also playing Fox Hollow in St. Michael and Wild Marsh in Buffalo. They aren't elite courses, but I lived out there and played those courses all the time and want to go back for sentimental reasons. I also think Wild Marsh is s hugely under-appreciated course. I love that place.

I will also play TPC unless someone tells me it's not that great. I have a connect there and can play for a cart fee. But I never played when I lived there.

That leaves me 3 other openings. Other courses I'm considering are: Edinburgh, Baker National, Rush Creek, The Wilds, The Links at Northfork. I'm also debating taking one day and making the drive to Hayward to play Big Fish. I love that course. We could even get up super early one day and drive up to Giant's Ridge to play the Quarry and Legends.

Any insight would be appreciated. If I'm missing one you think I should play, let me know which.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your main four are all solid and I played Fox Hollow earlier this year. Hadn't played it in a few years and I really enjoyed it. They have updated the last two or three holes which golfers complained about. (I don't remember the issues myself).

We've had some rain here so the courses need to dry out a bit but hopefully conditions will be pristine for your visit.

As to other options, I think Rush Creek is overpriced. The Wilds is too built up with homes and OB everywhere.

The Meadows at Mystic Lake is a good track although some holes do get a little close to each other. Not real busy so you'd likely get in a quick round if during the week.

In addition to the outstate courses mentioned, there's Dacotah Ridge in southwestern MN, a Rees Jones design. Good course and tough when the wind blows, which is often out there.

I also played for the first time earlier this year, Minnesota National. Joel Goldstrand design. Really enjoyable course, classic northern MN layout with water, marsh, rolling fairways, woods, and a bit of rock. If you played here during the week you'd have the course to yourself. Easy, affordable way to play 36. Nice clubhouse with restaurant/bar too. Stretches over 7,200 yards.

Only thing with MN National is that it's about 50 minutes from the NE corner of Lake Mille Lacs so it's in the middle of nowhere, but still an easy 2.5 hour drive from the metro.

In the Brainerd area there are also the Cragun's courses, Deacon's Lodge, and the renovated Preserve.

Don’t go to Giants Ridge this year...it is terrible shape. Hard winter and heard they have some mistakes with preparing for winter.

The MGA had an event schedule there in early July and just cancelled the event due to conditions.

WITB

TM Stealth 2 
Titleist 913FD 13.5
Titleist 913 H 19
Titleist 913 H 24
PXG Gen 1 5-G
Vokey SM8  54, 58

L.A.B. DF3 

Keller is a classic. Well worth it. I love The Wilderness but it’s a long drive from the Twin Cites. The Refuge is target golf at its finest but pace of play can be a concern. Windsong Farm is well worth the trip, great course.

I’m biased, but absolutely love TPC Twin Cities. This year is the final year for the 3m Championship on the Champions Tour. Next we’ll host the 3m Open (a PGA Tour event) so the course will be seeing some renovations later this year. It sounds like you have an “in” but I’m up for hitting at TPC if you’d like.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

IMO nothing compares to northern MN golfing so would highly recommend Giants Ridge & maybe scoot up to The Wilderness(my favorite) but you may not have that much time and it's a bit of a drive.

Or just stop in Brainerd and play The Classic. Love that course.

Don’t go to Giants Ridge this year...it is terrible shape. Hard winter and heard they have some mistakes with preparing for winter.

The MGA had an event schedule there in early July and just cancelled the event due to conditions.

I think we had landed on heading up to play both Giant's Ridge courses. They have a great summer deal. But I don't want to do that if they are in less than optimal condition.

Our other thought was to drive up to Brainerd and playing the Classic and Deacon's Lodge.

Would it be better to skip Giant's ridge this year in favor of Brainerd?

IMO nothing compares to northern MN golfing so would highly recommend Giants Ridge & maybe scoot up to The Wilderness(my favorite) but you may not have that much time and it's a bit of a drive.

Or just stop in Brainerd and play The Classic. Love that course.

I think we had landed on heading up to play both Giant's Ridge courses. They have a great summer deal. But I don't want to do that if they are in less than optimal condition.

Our other thought was to drive up to Brainerd and playing the Classic and Deacon's Lodge.

Would it be better to skip Giant's ridge this year in favor of Brainerd?

I just got an email that The Wilderness is offering springs rates through July 12th so it might not be in peak condition until later in July. The time under tarp this year was about 2 months longer than normal and the greens definitely suffered as a result. You might be safer going to Brainerd as it sounds like GR had the same issues. My favorites in the Brainerd area are 1. Deacon's Lodge 2. Cragun's(either course) 3. The Preserve 4. The Classic 5. The Pines

Take a drive to New Richmond. The greens there are fast and smooth. It's a fun course. After the round, go the 45th Parallel distillery and pick up a bottle of really good bourbon or rye. Then stop for dinner in Stilllwater on the way home.

Another fun, underrated option on the east side is Oak Glen (pretty close to Stillwater CC). Non-prime tee times are a real bargain there. The course is not long, but it's a fun layout and the greens are typically pretty good.

Good call on Troy Burne as its my favorite TC course (although I may be a little bias working there for 2 seasons). One course I really want to play the next time I'm back in MN is the new Royal Golf Club designed by Arnold Palmer and Annika Sorenstam (one designed the front, the other the back). The course was formerly Tartan Park, which was a good, challenging track, but honestly the course looks better with the re-design.

https://royalclubmn.com/

You've got some good ones already lined up in Chaska, Legends, Troy Burne, and Stoneridge. As for the other days, you could easily do a day of 36 with Baker and Rush Creek. Baker is $40+ to walk during regular hours, and while I agree that Rush Creek is overpriced during their peak hours, their twilight rate is $60 ish to walk. I consider that a steal for the quality of the course. You said you've got an in at TPC, and I wouldn't pass up the opportunity if I were you. I've only been out there once, but that place is puuuuure. A lot of homes on the course, but it isn't distracting. Edinburgh, on the other hand, has a bunch of homes on the course and it is a little distracting at times. They've got a handful of really great holes out there, but definitely a good amount that I could do without.

You mentioned going up to Hayward for Big Fish. I'm actually originally from Northern Wisconsin and used to play Big Fish all the time! I've heard they've kind of run into some managerial/ownership issues in the past few years and the course has taken a bit of a hit, unfortunately. That's all hearsay, though. Haven't been there in years. Used to love that course! I'd personally head to Brainerd, though.

There's also Willinger's in Northfield, or Dacotah Ridge down in Morton, or even The Refuge about 30 minutes north of the cities off 65. Whichever way you go, you'll have a great time! We're very fortunate with the plethora of quality public golf in Minnesota!

If considering Brainerd, I just got back from Cragun's and the courses were in fantastic shape. However, it's been 5 years since I played them so I remembered that I strongly dislike the Back 9 at 'Bobby's Course'. I think overall the 'Dutch Course' is far superior. However, beware it is the epitome of target golf. There's a lot of shots that you either make or your ball disappears into the endless acres of wetlands. It's a beautiful setting for sure but I think I've had my fill of dogleg right par 4s with a wetland on the right side for a while. Again, really awesome courses in wonderful shapes and with fantastic greens but it is target golf to the max.

Does anyone ever play The Summit? I played it once years ago, and remember liking it.

I recently played it for the first time. I liked it. The course was in pretty good shape. A few brown patches and a couple of areas had some new green side rough turf that wasn't really taking hold but I'd still give it an 8/8.5 out of 10 for conditioning. Solid greens.

The front 9 was more open than I expected with the back 9 more wooded and hitting thru chutes, as expected. A couple of holes are a bit tricked up, like hitting a hybrid off the tee on a par 5 but I would easily play it again. Not a lot of driver holes.

Note there aren't a lot of amenities though: no starter, ranger, beverage cart or water stations.

Does anyone ever play The Summit? I played it once years ago, and remember liking it.

I recently played it for the first time. I liked it. The course was in pretty good shape. A few brown patches and a couple of areas had some new green side rough turf that wasn't really taking hold but I'd still give it an 8/8.5 out of 10 for conditioning. Solid greens.

The front 9 was more open than I expected with the back 9 more wooded and hitting thru chutes, as expected. A couple of holes are a bit tricked up, like hitting a hybrid off the tee on a par 5 but I would easily play it again. Not a lot of driver holes.

Note there aren't a lot of amenities though: no starter, ranger, beverage cart or water stations.

Sounds like they reversed the nines from when I played. I’m a fan of fun no frills courses.

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone played Deacon’s or The Classic this year? How’d they come out of the winter?

Deacon's is in great shape as is the TPC and The Links of Northfork!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I agree with everyone who mentioned Keller. It has been restored since you lived here and is the best $50 course in town.

TPC for just a cart fee is a no-brainer. If it was a couple hundred bucks, I'm not so sure, but for a cart feel - run, don't walk.

I haven't seen the new Royal Golf Club, but could be interesting.

I am a fan of Big Fish. I certainly think it is a better value than the up north Minnesota courses. That said, The Classic and Deacons are always good.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W: TaylorMade Sim Titanium

Irons: PXG XP Gen 5 Steelfiber shafts
Wedges: PXG Sugar Daddy II 50 degrees. Vokey SM9 56, 60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5S