2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Being happy with that you have.

Solidstrike

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learning to be content is one of the most valuable lessons you can learn.

I’ve done the golf equipment merry-go-round. I’m at the two year mark now with no changes to the bag. I’ve proved to myself that I can hit every club in my bag well so when I have a bad round, or start puttIng poorly, or can’t find a fairway with my driver, I know it is me, not my clubs. That logic has helped me break the cycle.

This is completely true! Two days ago I was playing great and today was a complete train wreck. It’s the Indian not the arrow. However the BST is always lurking with temptation!

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

I’m completely happy with my current set up right now. But I’m slowly in the process of building a couple of other sets for some stupid reason. One is a vintage set with Toney Penna persimmons and Macgregor VIP irons. Guess I’ve been on a Nicklaus kick lately. When I get closer to playing with them I’m going to have them regripped with some Grip-Rites. And then another set with newer Mizzy MP32s than my current setup. And finally a players GI with strong lofts cuz I want to see what it feels like playing with a little more juice on my irons. I’m doing a 2014 Callaway Apex set because I ended up with a single 4 iron after I got frustrated with my Mizuno blade 4-iron. Figured since I already the club it makes the most sense to start there.

I'm content that I like to tinker and still shoot the same scores. It's cool to see certain clubs be better suited for certain courses. Different flights/spin. Golf is the love of my life, she can freely take a lot of my time and funds on equipment. Huge part of the game.

My tinkering has allowed me to optimize each spot in my bag. We all have an achilles heel club - long irons, wedges, 3w etc. I had a few too. By trying tons of stuff at each of my weak spots, finding the head/shaft combo that will perform best with those. That probably dropped my score 1-2 shots alone.

Tinker on my addicts! To those who are content, that is awesome too!

PS. tinkering help me stumble upon my z945 with v sole and now my divots dont bring shame to my family

Happy with what I have right now.

I'm still improving so why change anything? Wedges will no doubt get changed out as and when required but that's about it.

However.... do I look at new clubs? Of course

Do I have a bad putting day and think I should get a fitting? Absolutely

Do I think, if I can get near Cat 1 I should reward myself with something more blade like? Yep.

But I won't.

I'll regrip in the winter and that'll be it.

Talking of winter, I'd go mad if I had to go on lock down for 6 months. It may get cold here, it may get wet - but unless we're under snow, home course remains open with proper tees and greens

Its a mild gambling addiction.

Gambling is addicting because you never know - today could be the day you hit big! Its a variable reinforcement activity - sometimes, with the same skill, you win big because its your day. Buying clubs scratches the same itch. You convince yourself the unicorn 3 wood is in the BST somewhere, you just have to find it (instead of, say, getting your weight left with a square face). Same with gambling. The big hit at the slot machines is out there, you just have to find it (instead of, say, working hard at some career).

Some people are more susceptible to addiction than others. But it is 100% just another form of a gambling addiction.

*pops over to the BST to try and find a PM Grind 60*

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I’ve done the golf equipment merry-go-round. I’m at the two year mark now with no changes to the bag. I’ve proved to myself that I can hit every club in my bag well so when I have a bad round, or start puttIng poorly, or can’t find a fairway with my driver, I know it is me, not my clubs. That logic has helped me break the cycle.

Bingo! We have a winner. Admittedly I'm not totally there yet but I'm working on it.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Like many of us I love to bst equipment. The thought process goes like this; I see a Vokey wedge for sale and start thinking that my mint Cleveland wedges aren't good enough. I see a set of Miura irons and think my Mizuno irons aren't good enough.

I'm an analyst by trade and want to immediately dive into the details of grooves, forging process, benefit analysis of cast vs forged, performance gains or losses potential, etc. An hour later I âm completely wrapped around my axel in indecision.

The irony is that I don't play more that 6-8 times a year. I can buy a club new today and it will be near condition a year from now. It just doesn't seem like I âm ever just happy with what I have.

Do you ever feel like this? Have you been able to turn it off? Are you just happy with what you have?

In my early days, I played with a mixed bag of this and that. Then, I played macgregor.png MT blade irons (and soon woods) from 1974 to 1994. Next, I played custom-fit Ping Eye2 clones from 1994 to 2008.

In 2009, I did a complete rebuild of my bag. The stiff shafts had become too much for me, and from testing newer clubs I could tell tech actually was improving.

The changeover was unnerving. The basic problem: on irons and long clubs, all the major OEMs make at least one model I could play with confidence - as long as I had the right shafts in them. You just have to settle on one.

My bag has shifted largely to callaway.png. A couple of reasons: First, Callaway clubs seem to fit my eye. On Callaway woods and irons, I can get comfortable after maybe a half-dozen shots - I understand the essence of Callaway clubs. Second, the two pros where I play are Callaway guys, and often get early issue of future models that we get to test out at the club.

Don't get me wrong. The other companies make solid gear. My backup bag is all TaylorMade, based around excellent SLDR irons. :smilie_tm:

If I switched away from Callaway, the temptation would be to go with touredge.png. I've played their fairway woods twice, and still have the XRails in backup. A couple of their iron sets - with decent 4* gapping between irons - have flown really well for me.

I play cobra.png hybrids, and have gotten excellent numbers from Cobra drivers and fairway woods.

Some Mizuno items - both irons and woods - also had a good feel. :miz:

As for titleist.png? I have great respect for the technical excellence of their clubs. The Vokey wedge mix is out of this world. But... I seem to have feel problems with the Titleist clubs. Just can't seem to get comfortable with them.

And, there's the learning curve problem. If I switch out clubs, I would probably end up with a bag that works just as well as my Callaways. Spend six months in transition with mimimal improvement. I don't think there's some magic club out there that will launch me to the Senior Amateur championship. I just need to maximize my current bag.

So, I still visit the demo days and golf expos and try the latest models. I like knowing what's out there.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

This is a great theory, and one I have pursued myself with some success. I hadn't had any club changes in a few months but took the plunge on a P790 UDI which I interchange with my 5 wood. I do feel I am at a point where I can't buy anything that will alter how I play.

That said, I find myself stocking up on golf balls or gloves when I find something I like or more golf shirts.. But the club changing has kind of passed me by now. There will always be an itch to buy something though!

Currently researching the best at home indoor putting green 0:-)

In a sport about perfection, especially since it's more of a "single player" and not really a team sport, the desire to constantly want the latest and greatest is much more than that of other sports. I play hockey still as an adult and never really as a kid, teen or adult was I chasing he "best stick" or the newest thing out there. I got skates that fit well, gear that fit well and a stick with the right curve and called it a day. Some of my stuff I'm going on having for over 8 years now and only replaced it because it ripped or broke... my bag is probably 20 years old. Yet... I'm on like my 6th golf bag in 3 years. Meh.

Most people that never feel content with their equipment don't have golf priorities clear in their head and or don't invest the proper time to learn their equipment needs before buying. One without the other feeds dissatisfaction.

Club Ho's are a breed apart...all about having for the moment.

If you don't know what makes you happy, it's a crap shoot if you ever feel comfortable about any of your choices, including your golf game. Any "yes", I am happy with my equipment selections because they are simply tools to help me towards my golf game purpose. I only change when there is clear purpose. :beach:

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I like to think that I am satisfied with my current setup. I finally changed my hybrid as I thought the OS head on the Big Bertha hybrid was just too big looking down at it. Went with the Epic hybrid as I am a huge fan of the Epic driver/fw I have. The only other thing I would change in the foreseeable future would be my wedges and maybe even tinker with the gapping to improve the 5-6 degree discrepancy I currently have.

I typically find that the putter is the one club I tinker with most but I am finally content with the 18' SC Newport 2. If I were to ever change that then it would only be to something face-balanced.

That being said. I had just picked up my Apex right before the announcement of the AP3s, which is the club I always wanted Titleist to make. However I have been really happy with my Apex and can see them in the bag for a good while.

Driver: Titleist TSI3 10 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65

Fairway Wood: Titliest TSI2 15 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65
Hybrid: Titleist TSI2 18 Deg - Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid 65
Irons: PXG Gen4 0311 P 4-GW - KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Vokey SM9, 54 & 60 - AMT Red 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond / Chrome Soft X

The less I play the more I buy. They go hand in hand as if I am on vacation at the in-laws we play twice a day for a week as the father in law lives 2 blocks from the course and how could I say that I can't golf when he asks.

When I'm home it's more like once a week so when I'm not playing or practicing I don't hit the ball as well. Nothing to do with the equipment and all to do with not playing/practicing enough.

I am jonesing for the Ping i500's though...

Love of golf equipment does not necessarily equal love of golf.

I'm trying to play better golf (lessons, range work, etc.) because I love to play. I don't think much about replacing equipment...especially since prices of new and used golf equipment have gone through the roof over the last couple of years.

I think it takes time to get to know a set of irons and wedges. I am just now comfortable with mine after over a year of playing with them. I love new gear but I am now in the mode where I am at ease with my setup and I worked hard to get here. Now it's time to try to post some new best scores, not adjust to new equipment.

I blame Golfwrx for a good chunk of this. I probably wouldn't even know what a handcrafted project x shaft was, much less crave one, if not for this site (or many other things). When playing, I rarely get into talking about other player's equipment, but surfing this site, you really have to go out of your way to avoid the excitement of the latest and greatest of everything, or the classic things like 20 year old Scotty's.

It's like having your office attached to a subway, you're much more likely to want a sandwich for lunch.

I'm pretty content. My only recent changes have been to my 5-PW that went from quite old (mid 90's Rams) to just somewhat old (mid 2000's MP-32s), and picking up a 4-5 year old SLDR driver for cheap because I gave my last driver to my son. That prior set was unchanged for well over 10 years, I'd expect the current set to do likewise. I think the fat Superstroke putter grip is the only thing in my bag that is a nod towards "new trend" gear.

Even when I regrip my clubs, I always stick with Lamkin Crosslines. I'll change balls year or two to give them a try, since you have to buy more balls every once in a while anyway.

Despite my clubs being several-to-many years old, I don't consider it to be an "old school" or "classic" set. The driver is 460cc with maxed out COR. I hit hybrids that are as forgiving and as long as anything new, and my blades work as well as any brand new blades, so it's effectively a very modern set.

To satisfy my curiosity, I do swap clubs with friends for a few holes, or maybe even a round or two, but I'm never tempted to switch. It's not that other clubs won't work - actually to the contrary - they all seem to work just fine for me unless they're just way out of my comfort zone (e.g. 3i instead of a hybrid). So, I just go with what suits my eye, feels good and is decently fit (that latter point is a given, of course).

I’m currently on the “slippery slide” everyone talks about. The good news is that it has finally worn my out. I’ve been playing golf for 4 years and I have a feeling that most go down this slide who are equipment enthusiasts. My weakness is buying/trying irons sets. No desire to change anything else.

At the moment I have or will be receiving the following sets in the next couple days. 3 of the 4 will be on the BST in the near future.

1) Srixon 565/765 with DG AMT X100 Softstepped 1x

Didn’t expect to like these as much as I do.

2) Callaway X-Forged 2018 with Project X 5.5

Played these for several months and liked the consistency.

3) Callaway CF-16 with Project X 5.5

Won an auction on the bay that I didn’t think I would win. Owned CF-16’s before and they were OK. Should have never bid....

4) 2018 Callaway MB Raw with X100 SoftStepped 1x

Bought the heads new and put DG 120 S400’s in them. Played for 4 months. Had a moment of weakness and sold them 2 weeks ago. The person who bought them switched the shafts and Listed them for sale and I bought them back.

I have no idea how I am going to narrow these down to one set. I only get to play 3-4 times a month and I’m not patent enough to keep all 4 while I test them during a month.

So how do you know you have found the ONE (iron set)?

Thanks in advance for sharing what your experience has been finding the set that has kept you happy.

Seeing that Kenny Perry is still bagging those old ugly r7s makes me think. We all know that guy just flushes everything too.

Titleist TSi3 10° - Diamana R Series 60

Cobra Rad 14.5° - Diamana BlueForce 70

Cobra F9 18.5° - Diamana BlueForce 80
Taylormade P790 (4-9) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey 46F 50F 54S 58T - Nippon Modus 115
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

I'm currently on the "slippery slide" everyone talks about. The good news is that it has finally worn my out. I've been playing golf for 4 years and I have a feeling that most go down this slide who are equipment enthusiasts. My weakness is buying/trying irons sets. No desire to change anything else.

At the moment I have or will be receiving the following sets in the next couple days. 3 of the 4 will be on the BST in the near future.

1) Srixon 565/765 with DG AMT X100 Softstepped 1x

Didn't expect to like these as much as I do.

2) Callaway X-Forged 2018 with Project X 5.5

Played these for several months and liked the consistency.

3) Callaway CF-16 with Project X 5.5

Won an auction on the bay that I didn't think I would win. Owned CF-16's before and they were OK. Should have never bid....

4) 2018 Callaway MB Raw with X100 SoftStepped 1x

Bought the heads new and put DG 120 S400's in them. Played for 4 months. Had a moment of weakness and sold them 2 weeks ago. The person who bought them switched the shafts and Listed them for sale and I bought them back.

I have no idea how I am going to narrow these down to one set. I only get to play 3-4 times a month and I'm not patent enough to keep all 4 while I test them during a month.

So how do you know you have found the ONE (iron set)?

Thanks in advance for sharing what your experience has been finding the set that has kept you happy.

Haha if you find that you aren't a fan of the Apex CF's I wouldn't mind having a 2nd set for my parent's Florida home!

Driver: Titleist TSI3 10 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65

Fairway Wood: Titliest TSI2 15 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65
Hybrid: Titleist TSI2 18 Deg - Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid 65
Irons: PXG Gen4 0311 P 4-GW - KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Vokey SM9, 54 & 60 - AMT Red 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond / Chrome Soft X

To hell with reality and sensibility. All of you who are content must leave the premises. :)

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

I tend to hold stuff for a long time. Was just thinking about my pickup. Bought it in 2013, I'm 51, will probably keep it the rest of my life. Too damned expensive to replace. My clubs: I went through a swing rebuild and decided to, following that, get fitted. Ended up with a very nice set of clubs. If I don't play well...I know it's not the clubs.

I’m pretty content with my 15 drivers, 20 shafts, 20 FW Woods, 18 hybrids, 15 sets of irons, 30 wedges & 12 putters...

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S))

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 17* (stock HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

RTX ZipCore 52* Mid (DG Tour Issue)

SM9 58-10S (DG)

HiToe 64* (HiRev 2.0)
Eleven CS

Any urethane “X” ball

I hear ya! I've had Dynacraft Prophet Muscle blade irons for a year. Did just fine with them. Then the great Mizuno ebay deals happened, so I tried some JPX Forged. Not any better. Then I tried out a friends spare set. Not any better. Went back and forth for several months.

Finally got tired of the change, and got rid of everything but the Prophets. And my iron play immediately got better. Two weeks ago, had my best iron round in years, was just knocking at pins all day. Two more rounds since then, more solid iron play.

So, of course, bought some new Recoils and Maltby heads today.

Took several sets of irons over the last couple of years for me to finally realize that, until I figure out how to get my swing more consistent, I could use the most expensive, well-fitted irons on the planet or I could use a set of walking sticks, and it wouldn't' make a lick of difference. Sticking with a set (Taylormade rbladez) I can swing comfortably now until they fall apart.

I have been able to “ turn it off” by simply playing more and appreciating the fact the I’m fortunate to be playing more ! Don’t get me wrong , I buy the best fitted equipment, so that I’m not second guessing my “gear” but in the end being honest with myself has brought me to lower scores. In a nut shell , I always tried to “buy” my game. I spent and sold players irons and all that. In the end when I accepted that playing a 12 degree driver , and regular flex game improvement irons puts me consistently at under 80 , helped me FINNALY to get the fact that’s it’s the Indian and not the arrow ..and that this Indian will never be on the tour, but needs all the help he can get .

During the season I'm happy with my sticks. But its winter that gets me thinking and drives me nuts for 6 months until I can get out and trust my sticks again!

Have you ever bought clubs during the winter and then sold them before you ever got a chance to try them on the course? I have. :fool:

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Every time I here, ‘I got a great deal so I switched.’, it reminds me of my wife when a store is having sale. Or when I rationalize about a new club purchase. What dumb Word not allowede$ we are.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0