G400 Max...Holy Cow!!!

drumdude96

After seeing the hype of the G400 max on here I stopped by a local golf store to hit on their trackman. It was a small store and the salesman was great. I spent over hour hitting all the G400 driver heads and hitting my current drivers to compare. He let me hit as many as I wanted and we went through ever possible combination of custom shafts, Ping shafts and drivers heads. I have a M1 2017 440, M2 and Cobra Bio Cell +, After comparing the numbers and forgiveness of everything the G400 max 9 with the tour 65 shaft won. The next best was my old Bio Cell+ with white tie. Traded in some old clubs and walked out with the Driver on Friday. Played some holes that night at my club. First I was a little disappointed on how I was hitting it. Weak fades. Then I figured out a swing mistake I was doing by going to upright with backswing. Made a change and was hitting it great and spots that I haven't been in a while. Played 18 on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was at my club and Sunday was a another course that was pretty tight tree line holes. Had only one bad drive that was a weak to the right on the 3rd hole Saturday. Noticed I stood to far away on the ball on that swing. Every other drive hit the fairway. A few drives shouldn't have hit fairway as far out on the toe I hit it but I'm impressed so far. Funniest weekend I had driving the ball in a long time. I'm sure honeymoon period will wear off but so far so good :)

Ping G400 Max Driver Tour 65
Callaway X-hot 3 wood Project X
Ping 3 Crossover AWT 2.0
Ping G Irons 4-UW AWT 2.0
Taylormade RAC black 56
Taylormade TP xFT 60
Odyssey METAL-X MILLED #7

As many others have said after all the talk on here yesterday I went out and thought let’s give this thing a shot , current gamer is epic sub zero

Great when I hit the middle but not so great on off centre ( my miss is a toe strike ) .

Luckily in my local range/shop they know me well and have seen my numbers a lot , so straight away he put me the max in a 44 inch kuro kage x stiff which if I’m honest I was not liking the idea of as I have always played longer shafts .

All I can say is sweet Christmas this thing is a weapon straight with a lovely ball flight and I could really go after it I totally fell in love right there and then . If I’m honest on pure middle strikes probably did not match the sub zero but the consistency was off the charts literally.

Ordered it straight away and now waiting for this baby to turn up and can’t wait to get out on the course with it .

I love mine. At first, I was feeling I was hitting it too high (set to big minus on 10.5 head), but the distance was great. Not longer than my old driver, but reliably high and with much better dispersion. Then I started messing with tee height. Whoa, game changer. When I lower tee height by maybe 3/4 an inch from where I was, mid/high launching bombs that destroy my old driver. It's made driving so much fun to know what's going to happen. I tee it high and just know it's going to launch. It's made a few holes at my club so much less stressful.

Mine has turned my tee game around. Former scratch player, ballooned to a 7 over last few years, mostly from looking for balls in the woods and a lack of confidence on the tee. Thought I was past my prime. Nope.

I decided to build the most forgiving driver possibble. Bought one on here, put a 44' HZRDUS Black hand crafted prototype in it. A few cotton balls to get the sw dialed and sound muted a bit. The thing is like a tennis racquet. I can't miss it. Very, very, very, very straight. I don't see the odd additional 40+ yard blast like I did with the Rogue, but that was inconsistent, and usually just got me in more trouble anyway.

I just had my career round with the MAX. Hit all 14 fairways and made 9 birdies. My game has gone from triage to attack mode. index at back at 2 and headed lower.

I never thought one club could make such a big difference.

• Like 1

Mine has turned my tee game around. Former scratch player, ballooned to a 7 over last few years, mostly from looking for balls in the woods and a lack of confidence on the tee. Thought I was past my prime. Nope.

I decided to build the most forgiving driver possibble. Bought one on here, put a 44' HZRDUS Black hand crafted prototype in it. A few cotton balls to get the sw dialed and sound muted a bit. The thing is like a tennis racquet. I can't miss it. Very, very, very, very straight. I don't see the odd additional 40+ yard blast like I did with the Rogue, but that was inconsistent, and usually just got me in more trouble anyway.

I just had my career round with the MAX. Hit all 14 fairways and made 9 birdies. My game has gone from triage to attack mode. index at back at 2 and headed lower.

Did the cotton improve the sound for you quite a bit? If you don't mind, can you share pics of how you did it?

44" shaft or playing at 44"?

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

I agree with the OP. My G400 Max is so straight it's like cheating! I mean unbelievably straight. For me, it's a miracle club. Your mileage may vary.

100% agree with these statements.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I don't think the MAX needs to be any more LST...LOL It's already a really low spinning head combined with the ultimate forgiveness. Against my regular G400 with the same shaft it was about 300 rpm less, GC2 reading around 1800 rpm AND it launches high. I would agree... I'd love to see how Ping will top this one.

It may be low spinning for pros, but for us hacks with a negative seven AoA, we need a LST version.

I will say this, it's "ok" forgiving wise.

Meaning, as always it's all about the shaft.

I had a Tour 65 Reg in there (SS @100MPH) and was missing it all over the lot, left and right (mostly left).

Put my trusty Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 (white paint job), and hits nothing but low spin bullets with a 2-3 yard draw (think that bit is the head).

NOW it hits it in a very narrow window, and I will say that it is a very nice head.

The only other head that I have that is challenging it, is the Rogue Draw.

Don't just think the PING Tour Shaft or Alta CB, as usually I don't get on w PING shafts (e.g. have the G400 irons and love love love them with the PX LZ 5.0's).

I don't think the MAX needs to be any more LST...LOL It's already a really low spinning head combined with the ultimate forgiveness. Against my regular G400 with the same shaft it was about 300 rpm less, GC2 reading around 1800 rpm AND it launches high. I would agree... I'd love to see how Ping will top this one.

It may be low spinning for pros, but for us hacks with a negative seven AoA, we need a LST version.

AoA does not directly effect spin. Common miss-information propagated online, even on this awesome forum.

• Like 1

I hit one at a demo day. Ping rep set me up with a 10.5 and Tour stiff. I was hitting it out of the back of the range with a consistent 5 yard fade. (with a good tailwind, but it was beating my 915 D2 swing for swing). Bought one off the BST.

I love this thing. I have to tee it up a little lower than my 915 to get the same ball flight, but it GOES. However, my favorite thing about it is this: I can tee a ball up about 3/4”, move it back a touch, and give it an easy 75% swing and be greater with a sexy low-trajectory bullet that honestly goes about 95% the distance of a normal ball, dead straight or with a little fade every time, even directly into the wind. I’ve started hitting that shot on almost every hole because it’s so effortless and reliable. A lot less carry than a normal shot (obviously) but it runs out like 50-60 yards. My buddies will hit a great-looking, towering draw, then I step up with my little stubby half-shot and hit one that looks like it’s going to be 40 yards short of them. Get to the balls and mine is 20 yards ahead of everyone else. So fun...

I demoed one last night on course. I stuck my tour 80x 3 wood shaft in it set to 8 degrees and holy smokes this thing is good. I went after it hard and it just puts it out there straight. Easy to work and very low spin for this forgiving a head. Got a cleveland classic 7.5 on the way but may be a short stint cuz i need to have a max!

AoA does not directly effect spin. Common miss-information propagated online, even on this awesome forum.

I think strike location affects spin a lot more (high or low on the face).

PING G430 max 9° Ventus black 6x 
PING  G430 max 15º Ventus blue 7x

PING  G430 19º Ventus blue HB 9x

PING i230 4-AW PX 6.0

Vokey SM7 56.10° DGS400

Vokey SM7 60.04° DGS400

PING Ketsch 

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmean

I think strike location affects spin a lot more (high or low on the face).

Yup. Also... Heel strikes will add a decent amount of spin, too (in addition to killing your ball speed). Low Heel is a death sentence for your drive.

If your swing is adaptable enough to accomplish both, you would see it does effect spin.......it is why long drive champions try to achieve +7 to + 8 AoA. My comfortable grooved driver swing is a negative 2, use to be closer to a 3. I get 2200-2400 spin out of my setup. If I increase my AoA to a +3 with this same setup I drop down to 1800 spin.

Just got fitted for a G400 Max with X-Torsion shaft. Great combo!

Which extorsion? I've been trying to find out the upcharge for the 70TX.

I doubt they’ll have it.. when I purchased copperhead it was tour only in 70TX the TX range in xtorsion is a different animal then your standard x flex or stiff.. but that shaft has transformed this head and it’s the best combo of driver/shaft I’ve ever hit.. the copperhead 70tx for me is black tie 70m4 flight with lower spin

If your swing is adaptable enough to accomplish both, you would see it does effect spin.......it is why long drive champions try to achieve +7 to + 8 AoA. My comfortable grooved driver swing is a negative 2, use to be closer to a 3. I get 2200-2400 spin out of my setup. If I increase my AoA to a +3 with this same setup I drop down to 1800 spin.

I'll just leave this here for you:

After spending the last four years of my life trying to make big divots when I needed spin, I finally understand that my best shots come from a shallow attack angle and maximum loft of the golf club. Many golfers incorrectly believe that they can generate more backspin by hitting down on the ball. However, TrackMan has shown us that hitting down on the ball does not necessarily impart more spin. Contrary to popular belief, the ball’s spin rate is primarily determined by spin loft, and club speed, while impact position and friction between the club and the ball also effect how the ball spins.

Generally, a club with more loft creates more spin. Spin Loft is the numerical difference between the club’s loft at impact and the angle of attack. When the angle is greater, the spin increases. Likewise, when the angle is lessened, the spin decreases.

If you hit down on the ball more, the ball will launch lower but maintain the same spin rate.

https://blog.nextgen...angle-of-attack

Furthermore... Gear effect is the numero uno factor when it comes to spin and launch with driver. Of course dynamic loft, club head speed and allll that matter... AoA is much further down the list and may only have minimal effect on spin depending on the player.

• Like 1

I'll just leave this here for you:

After spending the last four years of my life trying to make big divots when I needed spin, I finally understand that my best shots come from a shallow attack angle and maximum loft of the golf club. Many golfers incorrectly believe that they can generate more backspin by hitting down on the ball. However, TrackMan has shown us that hitting down on the ball does not necessarily impart more spin. Contrary to popular belief, the ball’s spin rate is primarily determined by spin loft, and club speed, while impact position and friction between the club and the ball also effect how the ball spins.

Generally, a club with more loft creates more spin. Spin Loft is the numerical difference between the club’s loft at impact and the angle of attack. When the angle is greater, the spin increases. Likewise, when the angle is lessened, the spin decreases.

If you hit down on the ball more, the ball will launch lower but maintain the same spin rate.

https://blog.nextgen...angle-of-attack

Furthermore... Gear effect is the numero uno factor when it comes to spin and launch with driver. Of course dynamic loft, club head speed and allll that matter... AoA is much further down the list and may only have minimal effect on spin depending on the player.

The blog says, as you quoted, "does not necessarily impart more spin". That phrasing does NOT mean it doesn't, just that there are some conditions/instances where it doesn't. And then it doesn't bother explaining.

Right before the bolded part in red, it says "When the angle is greater, the spin increases. Likewise, when the angle is lessened, the spin decreases" so quite clearly there ARE times when a more descending blow will create more spin.

And finally, if hitting down on the ball doesn't create more spin than hitting at a shallower angle of attack (ALL other things being equal, including the contact point on the face) that means that hitting it with the shallower angle of attack, as in upwards with a driver, imparts more spin that a descending blow.

Balderdash. See the point above about long drive competitors and their trying to hit up so much to LESSEN spin so the ball will fly farther.

Now if your point is that a negative AoA can be "perfect" for a drive® THAT is another story and the answer to that is, of course, YES.

I'd suggest you post a more "authoritative" link.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Been playing with a HC Yellow and very impressed with the performance but the WRX’r in me felt I could get more out of the Max and it actually paid off for once. Pro Orange is giving me a nice flight and finally getting a decent amount of rollout. Max is the only driver to knock out my 910 that I’ve played since 2010 and believe me I’ve tried every Titleist and TM offering that’s come out. Never thought I’d be playing a Ping driver but the buzz made me order one blind and it’s a winner albeit not the prettiest but you can’t argue with the results.

Callaway Sub Zero, Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Ping SF Tech 16*
Titleist 816H1 21*
Titleist 913H 24*
Callaway Razr MB 5-PW
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60*
Spider X Copper