Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

wondering if anyone could help me understand this better. I was fitted and demoing clubs with swing weight D2. I wound up ordering a custom set from TM and they do not build for swing weight, and they came in C7/C8 of the p790s

What would be the differences in ball flight, and what if anything would be affected?

so i think i am finally getting dialed in with these...2 rounds of low 80s in a row which is good for me.

would my gaps and/or distances change drastically if i have TM fix these for D2?

any benefits i should want from doing this, or is ignoring best decision?

i am pretty new to all this technical stuff, so any advice is appreciated- thanks!

Swing weight shouldn't affect you gapping or distances! D2 is a designated weight of the head or basically how heavy it feels when you swing it! C7/8 is obviously lighter than D2. This is basically just a feel thing, so you can feel the head during the swing! May affect your tempo or transition but won't directly affect gappin and distance

thanks you for the insight.

Question. Anyone having hooking problems with the 790s?

Hard for me to know whats happening. I do play a draw.

Could be the shaft. Could be my new swing.

As for hot spots I haven't experienced any. The odd flyer yes out of the rough.

The black is different but I prefer the standard look.

Use a black Scotty putter as I like as little distraction as possible in a putter.

FORE!

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB s
Ping G425 7 wood (20.5*) - Alta CB s
Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB s
Srixon Z 785 irons A-6 - NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 s (soft stepped)
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck /  QB6 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - yellow
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol

Hard for me to know whats happening. I do play a draw.

Could be the shaft. Could be my new swing.

As for hot spots I haven't experienced any. The odd flyer yes out of the rough.

The black is different but I prefer the standard look.

Use a black Scotty putter as I like as little distraction as possible in a putter.

FORE!

Quite the opposite for me. I have KBS C taper Lite shafts and had a case of the rights until I had them bent more upright. Your hooking problem could be the shaft or too upright of a lie angle or both. Easy way to find out is take the worse offending club and have it bent flatter and see what happens. Since the P790’s are forged, they can be bent very easily by someone that knows what they are doing.

... I have found my P790's to be as neutral as any iron I have ever hit, and given the reduced spin and high trajectory they may be the most neutral irons I have ever played. It is nice to know when I hit one right or left it is because of my swing, not the club head. And yes, they are quite easily bent. Not quite like a 1020/1025 carbon steel but 8620 is certainly bendable enough and I had no problem bending mine 2* up and the 5-pw 1* weak.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

... I have found my P790's to be as neutral as any iron I have ever hit, and given the reduced spin and high trajectory they may be the most neutral irons I have ever played. It is nice to know when I hit one right or left it is because of my swing, not the club head. And yes, they are quite easily bent. Not quite like a 1020/1025 carbon steel but 8620 is certainly bendable enough and I had no problem bending mine 2* up and the 5-pw 1* weak.

I hook everything and hit a 4 iron straight as an arrow. That’s one of the reasons I’m keeping them. I think it’s because of minimal offset as well

I was custom fit for a set in November. Only played a couple rounds last year before winter came, and 4 in Jan on a trip. Now have played 20 or so rounds with these this year.

The 790’s are amazing. Coming from MP59’s, I have picked up a ton of distance and these things feel great. My “miss” is a slight push/fade that is plenty playable. Others have discussed it, but these are borderline TOO long. For a while I was a little worried as I was hitting some crazy long stuff from time to time, but think I am getting real comfortable with them now. My 6 is longer than my 5 hybrid, and I have a large gap between my PW and my Vokey 52 that I need to sort out, but overall these things are amazing. I attribute most of my improvements to working hard on my iron play over winter, but certainly feel here irons also have helped too.

Highly recommend trying them out.

Bought a 3 iron and gonna test it out. Its a couple degrees stronger than my current 3 iron, MP59s, so might bag them both. Like hitting iron off the tee when I can.

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

thanks all for the feedback re the hooks.

Probably lie or new swing.

I'll have the lie checked out asap as my new swing has a different angle of attack I would think.

After that will go see my pro.

Oh yeah. first eagle of the season. Had to share with people who appreciate it. LOL

FORE!

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB s
Ping G425 7 wood (20.5*) - Alta CB s
Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB s
Srixon Z 785 irons A-6 - NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 s (soft stepped)
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck /  QB6 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - yellow
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol

My 4 and 5 irons will be here tomorrow! Mixing them in with P770s 6 to PW.

UDI will be here early next week.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Played over the weekend and my 6 iron from 185 out hit green with barely any roll out (maybe 5-7 feet from the massive divot it left). Not sure why so many people worry about lofts + stopping power. The descent angle on these things does more than enough. Keep your weak lofts and I'll play what gives me massive distance, good stopping power, and decent forgiveness in an iron that doesn't look like a Transformer.

^^ Maybe just me, but massive distance and super high shots aren't something I'm concerned about, or really want, in an iron.

I think these irons do look sweet tho! Reason I ordered a 3 iron to test out. (Would be a 2 iron loft in my set)

TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

These just don't do it for me. Think I'm to mentally fixated to ping. I like the looks but didn't care for the feel and swingweight felt I little heavy for me. I play everything at d0 and these feel quit a bit heavier. Have them with upgraded recoil 95 F4 up in the classified if anyone interested 6 7 9 still in plastic others used 1 round 1 range.

I've noticed that the 790's do feel a bit heavier than my CF16's but to me Im getting things dialed in and like it being a heavier SW. The long irons are so easy to hit as I've never used a 4 iron so much of the Tee and was quite surprised as to how far and straight it goes. Just today I hit a bad drive and push it to the right and had 220 yds to to the flag and got it on the green with my 4 iron with ease. Im pretty excited to do that being 62 and playing with tendentious in my elbow. So with that being said my swing is off right now but my GIR have improved as my misses carry without much lose of distance and just a slight push still making it to the green.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

These just don't do it for me. Think I'm to mentally fixated to ping. I like the looks but didn't care for the feel and swingweight felt I little heavy for me. I play everything at d0 and these feel quit a bit heavier. Have them with upgraded recoil 95 F4 up in the classified if anyone interested 6 7 9 still in plastic others used 1 round 1 range.

Were you fitted for the 790s as I would never give up on a set of irons after only 1 round and 1 range time. Some people can adjust to just about any club out there for me sometimes I can but usually I try to remain patient as it's 90% the Indian not the arrow. Coming from PINGS I can see some adjustment time as I think PINGS are wonderful irons but depending on which ones your were playing the will be more offset with the PINGS. I never thought I could hit anything but PINGS for the longest time but that all changed over the years of experimenting and being patient. Good luck in your adventure and hope you find what your able to hit the best.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I'm moving the other way. I play clubs at +1" and Ping couldn't deliver at below D6. The dot serial light 790 heads get me to D2 at +1" with Nippon 950s so you should easily be able to get a build at standard length with Recoils to D0

Anyone ordered a set with PX LZ 6.0 standard length and MCC standard grip?

What did your swing weight get?

My preferred choice of shaft is DG 120 x100, and since the standard shaft in these heads are DG 105 I assume there wouldn’t be a problem to get them to D2 with DG 120? Anyone playing DG 120?

Coming from a long story of Titleist I’m amazed you can’t order a specific set with exact swing weight. All my Titleist 718 sets have been spot on D2 even though I have order different shafts and lengths for all of them.

I love my irons however they just came out with the black ones and can't help but to want those now. Will the black finish last?

If I were you I would just assume (and tell people) the black finish doesn't last so I wouldn't be kicking myself over and over. Cause they look pretty sweet!

TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Anyone ordered a set with PX LZ 6.0 standard length and MCC standard grip?

What did your swing weight get?

My preferred choice of shaft is DG 120 x100, and since the standard shaft in these heads are DG 105 I assume there wouldnt be a problem to get them to D2 with DG 120? Anyone playing DG 120?

Coming from a long story of Titleist Im amazed you cant order a specific set with exact swing weight. All my Titleist 718 sets have been spot on D2 even though I have order different shafts and lengths for all of them.

It’s not the same, but I ordered 5.5 LZ and the standard grips. All the Swing weights were right on. D2 for every club and D3 for the PW and AW

I love my irons however they just came out with the black ones and can’t help but to want those now. Will the black finish last?

Save yourself $1600...Possibly more with upgraded Shafts.?

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

order a custom set!! mine came in at C7/8 and TM refuses to fix them

new black ones look sexy

They may look sexy but, imho, TM went the cheap way with the finish and in the end, they will look like my Black RTX wedge, crap. PVD used in the black P790s is nowhere near as lasting as the DBM in the Maltbys, or Cobra Forged Tecs. I'll stick with the chrome and save some money.

Luvin my P790s, even the miss hits are still out there thanks to the Speed pockets & incredibly forgiving :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Were you fitted for the 790s as I would never give up on a set of irons after only 1 round and 1 range time. Some people can adjust to just about any club out there for me sometimes I can but usually I try to remain patient as it's 90% the Indian not the arrow. Coming from PINGS I can see some adjustment time as I think PINGS are wonderful irons but depending on which ones your were playing the will be more offset with the PINGS. I never thought I could hit anything but PINGS for the longest time but that all changed over the years of experimenting and being patient. Good luck in your adventure and hope you find what your able to hit the best.

Thanks! I currently game ie1 which do have a little more offset then p790. I gamed the s55 prior. No I wasn't fitted I was just able to get a good deal on them and loved the looks and read great things about them. I probably did not give them enough of a chance but didnt want any additional marks because I had it in my head I was going to sell them. I can definitely see why people like them they just weren't for me.

I did order a custom set directly through tm with recoil 95 F4. They said I could not request swingweight.

I did order a custom set directly through tm with recoil 95 F4. They said I could not request swingweight.

Order a set at +1" length. That will ensure they use their lighter dot serial number heads. Then just get the 1" cut off and they will be no heavier than D0.

I’d wager that the % of people who are very pleased with these irons is over 90%. Like someone stated before, the majority of those who are happy aren’t going to go out of their way to voice their opinions.

I don’t understand why people on this site get buttsore over lofts and if a 790 7 iron goes as far as their previous 6 iron; you’re able to use a shorter length iron which will yield better control and have it go longer distances. This is exactly what I’ve experienced. My iron play hasn’t been better since gaming these. For me (which is a mental thing) I’ve been putting smoother swings and better tempos together bc in my mind I know the club has a** behind it. Comparing them to my Srixon 745/765s, the srixons have that buttery feel and the 790 have a soft yet explosive feel to them....it’s addicting. Distance was never a problem for me but as stated before, I feel like I have better control. No problems stopping on greens here as well.

Wish they didn’t come out with the black version....I love the looks of them.

Ok, so I just got my 790 4 and 5 irons. I comboed them with the 770 6-PW. I only just received the 790 the day before yesterday and got to play a rain shortened round yesterday. Verdict on the 790 long irons....WOW....lots of fun.

I found them to feel pretty good (better than I thought they would feel), look great in the address position and the ball flight is perfect for my eye. I have std Ctapers in mine. I hit a 5 iron from 219 into a par 5 yesterday to about 15 feet past the middle pin. In the very next hole I nuked he 4 iron off a par 4 tee that was just as far as some of the best 20 apex hybrid shots I’ve hit there. On my last hole (before stopping the round due to rain), I hit the 4 iron from 233 into a par 5 and was only about 15 feet short of the pin. In my VERY brief time with the 4 and 5, I found them to be excellent. Excited to have them in the bag. Cant wait to play my home course, as they will be deadly for me there.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]