OFFICIAL COBRA CONNECT TESTING THREAD

FROM COBRA GOLF:

Experience seamless COBRA CONNECT™ embedded sensor technology and automatic shot tracking Powered by Arccos®. The complete line of KING® F8 clubs pair with the Arccos 360®app for full bag shot tracking. Download the Arccos 360 app from the Apple App Store or Google Play and get connected.

Track on-course performance data for every club in your bag and critical strokes gained analysis on Driving, Approach, Chipping, Sand and Putting. You will have an understanding of your game like never before.

Make data driven decisions about your equipment, where you spend your practice time and ultimately how you play on course. You will improve your game through the power of data.

HOW TESTING WORKS...

• All participants have installed an Arccos 360 unit and played multiple rounds on their "gamers" at the time they applied.

Now we move on to fitting.

• All testers are bing fit for a full set of COBRA clubs. Fittings will vary. Writeups are coming soon.
  • Clubs will be built and shipped to testers
  • Testers will play at least 10 rounds with your new COBRA clubs
  • COBRA will work with you tracking and understanding your performance throughout your experience
  • GolfWRX members get to read about the whole experience right here.

The five GolfWRX members who are testing are...

Enjoy the write ups!

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using the arccos golf system for about 10 rounds now is if anyone has questions on the equipment or the app please post them here and I'll be happy to answer them.

I'd Also like to thank GolfWRX, Cobra, and Arccos golf. Just using the Arccos so far has been a real treat and to get custom fit for clubs on top of it is amazing.

I'm scheduled to be fit next Saturday. But will have my arccos review/writeup up soon!

A little about myself.

I've been playing golf since 2005 with a 3 year break when my son was born in 2007. I'm currently a 3.5 and have been as low as a 2 and as high as a 5 since I’ve started keeping track. I play every weekend and try to get out during the week after work here in AZ since it doesn’t get dark until 730/8pm during the summer. I never practice since most of my time not at work is spent coaching my sons football team throughout the year.

To install the sensors is pretty straight forward. You just scan them in the app and screw them in the back of the club. I have always choked down about 1/4 of an inch so it doesn't bother me. A friend of mine grips the club at the very end and said it was pretty noticeable to him when he would swing my club. The app is sooooo good. The GPS on the app is very accurate and allows you to measure distance to hazards pretty easily.

The app has a caddie mode, which I’m not the biggest fan of. Mostly because when you start a hole it will tell you the score it anticipates you to get based on your shot history. There’s nothing like stepping up to a par 4, click to get the caddie recommendation, and see that it tells you your scoring average on that par 4 is 4.5. So while I like the concept, I don't use the caddie function.

Most Eye Opening Stat: Hitting Driver vs laying up

Driving the ball has always been a very inconsistent part of my game. When I'm in a groove and hitting it well I can absolutely crush the ball. And then there are holes where I'll block it 40 yards right of my target. So, I currently play a 13* fairway wood that I would use when I thought I needed some accuracy off the tee. Come to find out that I'm just as inaccurate with the 3 wood as I am with a driver. So now I just grip it and rip it!

It has solidified my thoughts on being a terrible putter and a decent iron player. But I was shocked to see how little i was getting up and down from the sand. I've always considered myself a good sand player. But that may reflect more on my horrible putting vs sand play.

Overall I love the arccos system. It was a bit finicky at first. I never played with my phone in my pocket so that took some getting used to. I still need to edit putts every now and then because I don't walk with the grip pointing down but for the full shots I don't have to check them at all anymore as it does a great job tracking everything.

My buddy even bought one and we thought that it would pick up each others shots but it didn't. So we were pretty happy about that.

Here is a screenshot that is a direct reflection of my game! Huge Drive (downwind - 40 yards right of right) Good 6 iron, sand shot, missed 5 footer lol.

Ping G430 Max 10k
Ping G430 2 Hybrid
Ping I230 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite S+
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60

Putting a place holder here. Currently scheduled to be fit on the 13th so I'll begin the write up shortly. So freaking excited, I can't even begin to thank Hip Check, Arccos, and everyone at Cobra-Puma Golf enough for making this possible!

So a little bit about myself: I've been playing golf about two years now. Grew up playing numerous sports with hockey being the favorite. After years of wanting to give golf a go I finally jumped in and was hooked right away. Now I play to about a 16 handicap, but still suffer from a terrible push slice with the driver/ woods at times. I'm a shaft steepener in transition big time and while its gotten alot better in the past couple of months, it still creeps in especially at the top of the bag. I feel like my irons are my best part of my game with short game also being decent depending on how much I can practice.

When I first got the message to be apart of this, I had almost forgotten I had even entered. Then I saw I had a PM from Hip Check titled, "Cobra Connect Testing Experience".

I was so happy I almost forgot to reply to Rob with my shipping info! Anyways, I am scheduled to be fit the 13th of July but I'll go ahead and provide a review of the Arccos now.

Arccos 360/ Caddie review:

First off, left me just say that the whole Arccos system is awesome! I was a bit unsure whether it would be a novelty that would wear off quickly, especially after trying similar systems. But it continues to impress me. The sensors seemed like they might be a hassle at first but once you figure out how to carry clubs grip down until you're ready to swing, it's almost always spot on and you don't even know they're there. The putter is more sensitive than the rest so a few misreads happen but once you get used to carrying it properly it's not an issue.

I really love the fact that the app shows an average distance as well as a range to give you a better idea of the range you hit each club, as opposed to just knowing how far you hit it on a good strike. There were some weird gaps, particularly in the 7/8i but it's beginning to correct as I get more rounds in.

I already had a good knowledge of my distances, which the software confirmed, but one aspect I found really helpful is the stats that show how far left/right/short/long you are for each club. This not only showed that I'm consistently short on approaches, but it also really helps me pick better aiming spots based on dispersion patterns of each club.

The web interface is also really cool, showing different ratings for how well you hit each shot, hole history, and other things like that that aren't on the app itself.

The caddie feature is interesting but I think I need to wait until I get more shot data recorded because there are still some funky recommendations. For example it had suggested hitting 8 iron from 170 uphill into the wind a few rounds back. And I ended up punching a 4 iron barely pin high lol. Once the data normalized a bit it should be a neat feature though.

I do really enjoy the GPS features as well as the wind and elevation measurements. As seen you can pick any point on the hole and get a good idea of how you want to play it. It is also easy to turn of the elevation/wind features so it can be tournament legal.

Overall I am definitely impressed with the Arccos system, and feel it will absolutely help improve my game. Almost everything about it is convenient and it allows you to keep track of stats that would otherwise be completely overwhelming.

So jealous! I really look forward to reading about this. Congrats guys!

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with AD-TP 7S
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Callaway X-Forged with Nippon Modus 105X 
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges with KBS 610 stiff shafts
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Thanks to Cobra and GolfWRX !

When I received my Arccos 360 sensors I put them on immediately

The software was easy to follow

installing the sensors & pairing was straight forward

(My putter has a counterweight so no hole, I just glued it on the butt of the grip)

Once you get used to carrying your phone in your front pocket ( it needs to hear the ball strike)

The system works great, picks up all your shots with no problem. 99.9% accuracy

The 2 tips they give you,

carry the clubs grip down( which keeps the sensors off)

Try to minimize the clubs bumping into each other

Here are a couple of screenshots:

TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange 60
Titleist TS2 16.5 Motore X 75
Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85
Titleist 818H1 23* Diamana 90

Ping i500 5-7, iBlade 8-Pw 
Ping Glide 53, 58, Callaway 64*
Kevin Burns “Icemakr” custom
Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
“kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)

The data is really amazing

The distance I hit my irons is pretty much what I expected

I have an interesting overlap at 5-6 iron My fitting will hopefully help sort that out.

The breakdown of handicaps for the different parts of the game is fascinating

I knew I was a good putter but didn’t realize how much my driving was holding me back

My fitting is Friday, I’ll be updating with pictures.

Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85

Many thanks to WRX, Cobra Puma Golf and Arccos for putting this together! This is arguably one of the coolest things to win!

A bit about me…

I started the season out at a 14.7 handicap, and am currently trending at a 13.2 or 13.4, striving to get to an 11 by the end of the season. I’m a bit of a ho, though I pale in comparison to some here! I have gone through four set of irons over the last 1.5yrs. I’ve been a bit of a Mizuno fan boy :miz: and have gone through the Mizuno MP-60’s (they found their way back in my bag - I always loved these clubs), Nike VR Pro Forged Combo, Mizuno MP-33’s (found a killer deal and thought I needed to look like a badass with them in my bag :rofl:), and now MP-15’s. I don’t really change out my driver very often, but did happen to JUST buy a Callaway Rogue the previous week – apparently I’m a sucker for demo days :lol:! Nonetheless, I love equipment and I am a fan of the art and science of being fit. I have been fit a few times by different people for clubs, and even did an Edel putter fitting. My current set of MP-15’s were not fit for me, but I did take my data from a previous fitting and applied it to my selection.

The day it all went down…

Here I was, sitting at work on April 17th lamenting over the fact that I just had to fork over way more money than I anticipated to the IRS while in the midst of renovating our kitchen. I wasn’t a happy camper. Alas, I get a PM from HipCheck stating that I had been selected for the Cobra Connect Experience. I about jumped out of my chair, I was so excited! I had seen other contests come and go, so I figured I had not won, which really bummed me out because I really really wanted to win this one. This contest is so cool. Not only do you get some valuable data from the Arccos360 system to baseline your game with your current clubs, but also identify the strengths and weaknesses of your game. And to top it off you get a brand new set to which you’re fitted for to see how it may help you improve. As I said earlier, I’m a believer in being fit for clubs, and love the art and science behind it, so I was excited.

Now onto Arccos…

A few impatient weeks go by, and we finally receive our Arccos360 units for our current clubs :yahoo:. If you’re not aware, they’re small little sensors you screw in to the back of each club. The sensors on the back of the clubs didn’t feel awkward to me, but some people said it took them a round or two to get used to it – my guess is that they hold their club all the way at the end. The sensor works with your phones GPS after downloading the course to your phone to measure all of your shots. This is really cool technology and it definitely makes you honest about your game. I think a lot of us internet golfers who hit their 9i 200+ yards could benefit from this haha! I will admit that it was a dose of reality for me too as I don’t hit the ball quite as far as I thought.

The system is well laid out. You can dive into your round, club performance, see your overall performance from a strokes gained perspective, and accomplishments. There is a ton of metrics you can evaluate. And the more data you feed it, the more accurate and helpful the system will get. Thus far I have 14 rounds logged. Here are my metrics:

I always thought my driving was average at best, but apparently I drive the ball fairly well. I also thought my chipping game was decent, but I guess don’t get up and down enough at all. I figured my approach was the one I needed to work on most, particularly based on this scatter chart of my approach shots. You can see, I don’t take enough club fairly often. It’s a mental block for me where I always think I have to be short of the hole, and that long is dead.

And here is my approach shots with just my 8i.

Again, most of my approach shots come up short. Once I get my ego out of my way and start using the Arccos smart distance calculations for clubs selection more often, I should start to see those shots improve. I haven’t really dove into the Caddie feature yet, particularly since Android devices (which I have) doesn’t have the Caddie 2.0 release yet, so it only gives you tee shot club selection. I am excited to use it though when it does become available (they've indicated later this summer for Android), as I’ve read some positive stuff on it for the most part, and it can only get better with more data, and further development. In the meantime, I need to become more familiar with what Arccos calls their Smart Distance – basically what they believe you hit your clubs on average, striking out the anomalies. Here is the smart distance chart for my clubs.

I haven’t hit the 3w enough, so that metric clearly isn’t accurate. The one time I used it, I hit the one damn tree branch overhanging the fairway :angry2: – too bad too, because I squared that one up good! I also have only hit my 6i a handful of times (somewhat the same for my 7i), and clearly not very well on several occasions! Nonetheless, you can see how this information can be helpful, particularly when you feed it enough data. If you click on the club, it gives you even more information on it. The data they include is quite impressive. Here is the info for my 4h, one my favorite and 2nd most used clubs in my bag (not including putter).

Edit: Someone from another thread brought my distances for my 6/7/8 irons, so I thought I should address it. I'm kind of torn on the stats for my 6i and 7i. I don't believe my lofts are off with my 6i and 7i. I've only recorded 9 shots with my 6i and have only hit a handful of them clean. When I do hit it clean, it goes ~190yds (my longest Arccos recorded was 195yds).

My 7i baffles me though. It's typically my 180-185yd club, and I have several shots close to that range or in it. I have quite a few shots of it less than 140yds though, which I'm not sure it has filtered out those in its calculations. I'm curious at what point it starts to eliminate the extreme outliers. I'll see if I can address this with Arccos.

Reviewing your round is pretty cool too. Gives you your strokes gained for that round as well as shows you your accomplishments. Naturally I have to show one of my best rounds!

Then you can go hole by hole to see how you played each hole.

Then see your stats for each hole and even see roughly how they rate each club from a strokes gained perspective.

All in all, I love the system and the data you get from it. Every morning after a round, I probably spend way too much time reviewing my previous rounds data. I will say though, the unit isn’t perfect. I have to add probably 6 or so shots per round and adjust my putts regularly. That could be due to my phone though. From what I’ve read, it almost seems like Android devices don’t quite work as well as newer iOS devices. My first coupe rounds took some adjusting to get used to adding/editing your game too, so that was kind of frustrating having to fumble through your phone between holes, but I definitely have the hang of it now. There are times I do spend more time than I’d like on my phone though. For me, I’d rather get it right initially rather than potentially forget what the yardage was after a round. Another one of the difficulties adding shots, for instance, is if you flub a shot and can’t get out of a bunker and need to add another shot, it can be a pain to add since you need to zoom in and place it accordingly. I understand why it is set up like this though - it won’t record another shot within 5yds of your previous hit to avoid duplication of shots from practice swings or the like. Again though, it’s a pretty solid system overall that gives you a wealth of data to analyze for you Bryson type players!

One of the downfalls for some is that you have to keep your phone in the front left pocket (if you’re a righty). It doesn’t bother me, but I understand some people’s gripes, particularly as our phones approach iPad sizes lol. Arccos is developing a key fob device that you can use in place of it though, as well as an Apple watch app to eliminate the need to carry a phone (you’ll need to keep it near you though since it needs to communicate with your phone). I believe these capabilities will be out at the end of the summer, but don't quote me on that...I can't recall for sure.

Thus far, it’s been a great and eye-opening experience. I think this system will definitely be beneficial to me, particularly when Caddie 2.0 is available to me.

I'm extremely excited to be fit. I decided to bite the bullet and fly out to San Diego to do their Tour Fitting Experience. I have my appointment set for the 13th, so stay tuned!

If you have any questions, please fire away!

Cheers!

Tim :drinks:

Edit: Here is my write-up on my fitting at Encintas Ranch in San Diego for their Cobra Tour Experience - http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1656268-official-cobra-connect-testing-thread/page__st__30#entry17698206

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Hello all. Want to send out thanks to Golfwrx, Puma/Cobra Golf and Arccos for this fun and awesome opportunity. A little about me:

10.5 handicapper. As low as a 10.2 and high as a 12.4 within the past 12 months. Before arccos (spoiler alert), I would have said my strengths are Putting and chipping. Decent with irons, and just straight up struggling with Driver. I hit a fade for the most part, but with irons, I can turn it over if I need to. Pre cobra connect bag is as follows:

Driver: Callaway GBB 12* Neutral with UST Helium Proto 5F4

3W: Callaway XR16 15* stock stiff shaft

Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics ex 9 tour at 19* with stock Recoil in stiff

Irons: Wilson FG tour 100 4-PW s300

Wedges: Wilson PMP 52, Callaway MD PM Grind 60*

I have put in 10 rounds using Arccos. Really enjoying this system. I do believe it has made me better in the time playing with it. Not only because I am seeing distances, but also from seeing tendencies and what I need to work on. So speaking on my strengths at weaknesses, The only part of my game I was right about was that I am a good putter. My wedge play is not as good as I thought, but not horrible, my iron play is pretty dang bad haha, and my driver is not too shabby besides Im the shortest hitter in this group of nice guys :rofl: . Distances are pretty good, but I do have a good bit of overlapping. Some of that is due to not having a large amount shots with all clubs, some is due to my not being able to be super consistent with some clubs, and much of it has been due to the weather as of late (or while using the unit). The wind has been up the past few weeks here in Charleston and I certainly have had to play many different types of shots into and with the wind to be able to play. good thing? that is golf. It's not just hitting a stock shot at a specific distance. I'm glad I can at least do that semi well haha. The range of my clubs shows a bit better picture of my distances, but still some overlapping.

Arccos caddie, as some have mentioned already, is a cool little feature. Like Olsen though, I don’t typically use it due to basically being told I’m more than likely going to score “x”. Also, it can give some pretty interesting clubs for tees and when hitting other shots randomly. For example, the other week on a long par 4 it told me to hit 3wood 3wood and chip instead of doing driver, hybrid/4iron onto the green haha. Also in a short par 4 that I apparently bogey more than par or birdie, it said to go ahead and try to drive the green with driver haha. Just kind of random. I’ll leave that to those who enjoy it as it is a nice feature but I’m a weird golfer and not sure an AI can really figure me out ;). The app is very easy to use. I already carried my phone in my pocket due to using the grint so this was no big change for me. The first round or two did have an adjustment period as I was learning how to make a few edits on the fly and make sure the pin was in somewhat the right location. Now, it’s second nature and I can do it either while others are putting out, or while driving/walking to the next hole. I don’t even have to do anything when I get home except to take in the carnage that occurred that day with me trying to play this game. Battery usage is not bad for newer phones. If I start at 100% I can get 2 rounds of golf in and a few holes after. Can’t really use my phone for much else except the occasional tweet or picture, but that’s ok. I’m there to play not tell people I sick at golf on Twitter/instagram/here ?

More to come as I get fit and continue using some awesome product. If you have any questions please please please ask.

Forever Changing at this point.......

Very cool win guys...!!

Olson, cant wait to read your full write up since we had similar play styles and distances on the Jetspeed trip.

Everyone else, enjoy the win!!

Titleist TSi2 9° - Mitsubishi Tensei White 60 X

Ping G400 14.5° - Matrix Black tie 7M3 SG

Ping G400 17.5° - Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold Tour 95 S

Titleist 818 H1 22° - Aldila NV 95 X

Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300 (Black)

Vanilla Wedge 50°, 55°, & 60° - KBS 610 Wedge S

Scotty Cameron Golo s5 34"

Member of #teamjetspeed - December 2013

Nice! Sounds like a great before/after test thread.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I found this chart particularly useful

I carry a 62* wedge to get me out of trouble and it turns out I use it alot.

More frequently than any other iron.

I don’t know whether or not to accept this as a “good choice of tool” or

to work on improving my approach game/club choice so I don’t put myself in so many awkward positions.

Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85

I will more than likely just post my fitting reviews a little separate.... length reasons haha

Welcome to the start of my review, this is a long one and currently is just on my woods fitting…. I’m trying to be thorough and insightful without dragging on, so if I do the latter, I am sorry haha. Im working on my reviewing/recap skills.

Fitting:

Woods- My swing is pretty flat. Club Swing about 97-102. Generally play a fade. High Spin but low launching player (oh boy). Miss is a push fade or if I get quick, then I’ll hit a dead pull left and long gone.

I drove up to Myrtle Beach to True Blue to get fit for my cobra clubs. I called earlier in the week and was told they have an updated fitting cart, and Chad from Cobra also contacted the area rep and was told they had an updated cart. Unfortunately, when I arrived, I found out they did not have an updated cart. A little annoying after being told they would have what I needed. They did have the woods though albeit limited shaft options. The fitter, Bill, at the Steve Dresser Golf School was great and I felt he did a great job with the options we had yesterday. Of course I am as different/opposite of the average golfer as I have always thought haha. Bill had a little fun giving me a hard time about it as well. Basically, I am a low launching player, but have plenty of spin (most due to strike/AOA).

This was the first time I have ever been fit for any type of golf equipment. The closest would be me hitting inside on a GC2 with the owner of the store popping in and giving me a few suggestions on a setup I was trying driver wise. This was outside, off real grass with trackman. Really cool J. Only bad thing was using legit range balls (some not in so good condition), but he seemed confident that it wasn’t too big a deal. Thoughts about the facility. Pretty good set up I think. They have indoor bays with cameras and really good mats, etc. They also have the ability to go outside and fit there which was awesome. Now, they fit for many other OEMs. They basically had everything needed for Titleist (apparently Bill used to help with tour fittings or at least regionally?), Callaway, and T-Made. Obviously…. People who market like crazy and are looked at most by the consumer. I used to wonder why brands like Wilson, Cobra, and to an extent Ping never had their equipment available to testing/demos. After being a part of some testing with Wilson on another site, and now kind of going through this, I can say it’s more on the facility and rep. Cobra and Wilson have the fitting carts available. It’s up to the facility to order said carts and make sure they are up to date. I mean I understand not carrying the actual product to sell (or at least a lot of it), but if you’re going to be a certified fitter for Cobra, you should probably work on making sure you have their newest stuff available… maybe some current fitters or brick and mortar owners can give me some insight on that one? I could be way off and would love to know the reasoning. Any who, enough of my soapbox….

IMG_1422.jpgIMG_1420.jpg

We started with the Cobra F8 in 10.5 with the NV Blue 60 in stiff. I had already warmed up a bit waiting for him to finish a fitting so we jumped right into the hitting. First swing I knew this one wasn’t going to be great for me. Wasn’t the best swing, but it immediately shot out right with a big fade. Two more shots produced the same result. Way too much spin (about 3500) and not very consistent. I also really disliked how the shaft felt. It didn’t really have a feel to it. I like to feel a little loading/more active tip. He immediately wanted to loft down to help reduce the spin, so we went 9.5 D. He also wanted to see how I reacted to a heavier shaft, so we went straight to the Tensei 70S. First shot was dead straight, increased launch, and the spin came down a hair, but still robbing me of distance. I asked about the F8+ head and he said that’s exactly what he wanted to try out. Tensei Blue 70s set at 9.5 D with heavy weight in the front. First hit was an absolutely bomb (for me haha)! 2100 spin, SS of 100, 245-250ish carry with a launch angle of around 12*. Sooo low spin, almost too low, but after a few more hits it evened out and I was averaging about 25-2600 spin and a launch of 9-12*. My mis hits (low heel) were still flying below 3000 and staying very playable. Awesome! Bill wanted to just make sure that was a decent fit for me, so we tried a hazardous yellow and going lighter to a tensei 50. Both were an instant no go and driver was done!

IMG_1423.jpg

My only disappointment was that they didn’t have the atmos line or more of the Project x line to try out. L. Looks wise, the f8 seems huge to me. I don’t do well with that and could have been a mental thing when swinging it. Same thing happened to me when swinging any of the M series from taylormade. Once the F8+ was in front of me, I felt much better over the ball. Same size head CC wise I believe, but did not seem as long front to back.

Fairway wise, he had a pretty specific set of numbers he wanted to see me at. He didn’t care whether it was 3w/5w/7w he wanted certain spin/launch/carry to make sure I had proper gapping. We started with 3 wood, and after one hit with the F8, he knew that I needed to loft down slightly from 15 to 14.5 just to bring the launch window down a hair. Hit a few more and he was happy with what he was seeing. F8 Nardo set at 14.5D tensei 60S. We tried a hybrid set at 19* with the stock Rogue shaft…. That was awful. Hit one good shot and it was about 10-15 yards short of where we needed it to be. He didn’t have any other 19* with different shafts so we tried a Titleist 19* with the tensei in it to see what happened. Hit it better, but still not getting the yardage I needed. I asked about a wood instead…. Like a strong 7 wood or weak 5… Thanks to cobra they have a 6 wood haha. We got that thing set up and the gapping was made complete with an F8 Nardo set to 19.5D with Tensei 60S. As you can see, I went lighter in the woods than the driver haha. Yep that’s me being difficult I guess. We tried the 70s and the 80s but just didn’t have the launch I needed to either get the spin or the proper distance to use it as a stopping club. The heavier shafts were great if all I needed was something that hit lower and ran a good bit, but since I’m not a long hitter, I need my 3 wood and I guess now a 6 wood to get onto greens and stop for par 5 and longer par 4 holes. The lighter FW shafts did just that for me. Increased my launch with a good number spin wise (I think it was 32-3500) to have good gapping and can stop on a green.

Forever Changing at this point.......

What a Day!

Let me tell you about my Cobra Tour fitting experience.

But first a little about me. I was diagnosed with Desmoplastic Neutropic Melanoma in June of 2013.

4 major surgeries, chemo, radiation and then Immunotherapy.

Yes, I've made it 5 years!! Beat the odds again I'm a lucky bastxxx.

I'm cancer free again. ����

I started back to golf last fall and let me tell you, it was humbling. As a former 1 or 2 hdcp, struggling to hit the ball over 180yards, it gives you a new appreciation of the game. Slowly my strength and my game has come back and now I'm a healthy 11.2.

On to the fitting.....

My day started at 5:30am and a rush to catch my flight to San Diego. Hopped in an Uber and in 30 min I was at Encinitas Ranch Golf Course. Cobra moved there from La Jolla not long ago.

I was told to tell the starter I was there for a fitting and they would shuttle me to the opposite side of the range. But as soon as I walked outside I met Brandon Dickinson my fitter.

Brandon has experience as a player, an instructor and as a fitter. He's recovering from a broken Hamate, so he's playing one handed for now!

Little did I know how thorough this would be.

Once under the tent Brandon has me warmup with the limited flight range balls, ( left to right and into 8-12mph breeze, not my favorite)

saving the real balls for the Trakman. After a few balls Brandon asks me about what I'm playing now.

So I showed him this:

Driver: Ping G400 max 9.0 44.75" sw D9.5 TEE 4 wood 16.5 42.25" sw D0.9

Hybrids: Titleist H1 19.5* C4 40.5" sw D0.9 Titleist H2 23* A1 39.5" sw D3.8

Irons: Titleist VG3 2014 w/ TT Tour Concept R300

24* 5 - 37.5" sw D2.1

27* 6 - 37" sw D1.5

30* 7 - 36.625 sw D2.9

35* 8 - 36.25 sw D3.0

40* 9 - 35.625 sw D3.4

46* Pw- 35.0 sw D0.4

52 - 35.0 sw D4.6

58 - 35.0 sw D6.5

62 - 35.0 sw D6.2

Odyssey Tour 2 ball Flow neck 31" 420g head

80g counter weight

Most of my clubs were picked by trial and error. I tried some indoor fittings before but I seem to gravitate back to what feels and looks good, not necessarily the best results.

Brandon asks me what I'd like to try so I go for the new Forged Tec Black irons.

1st try is the TT AMT white in Reg.

Felt pretty heavy and hard for me to load. 2nd up is AMT Red a bit lighter and a softer tip, so better ball flight. So, immediately Brandon says "your a tweener".

My late release/SS puts me at the high end of regular. With a waive of his magic wand he grabs a Nippon Modus 130 Stiff soft stepped 2x. Can you think of any fitter in the world that has that shaft setup in his arsenal? Anyway, it's just perfect.

The first shot I hit goes straight as an arrow a bit higher with just effortless power.

It can't be that easy right?

So I start talking about graphite shafts and so he sets me up with Recoil 460, 660 and 780. Then we try Steelfiber i95, i110 and a real treat...

the yet to be released new steelfiber fc90cw.

A great feeling shaft, more kick than the i95 but smooth. It's flighted so it should be a better fit for more players.

Lots of shots, I was in a pretty good rhythm. Chad stayed to watch my fitting, which was nice but a little intimidating having him watch. But then he says "do you always hit it like that? That's a pretty tight circle you hitting into."

Nice of him to say, probably bs, but I was hitting it pretty good.

The Brandon asks me if I'm open to something different, so I say sure.

He hands me the F8 iron with a Nippon Modus. Long, straight, high and moderate spin shots. One after another.

I put cut swings on it and it would move slightly right, hook swings moved slightly left. I hit knock down shots that went lower, not as low as my normal but lower.

The F8 look is like any GI iron, thicker top line, more offset a bit thicker looking. Not off putting in my book.

I hit ball after ball long and straight. I must have had s*** eating grin on my face because Brandon looks at Chad and says "okay."

Then I look at the shaft label and its a STIFF. So I ask, "Is this really a stiff?"

Brandon looks at me with a sheepish grin, "Yes"

"Really?" i say. Then he chuckles, "well not exactly... I had a client that had in his head he needed a stiff, so I had the guys make this one up.

Its soft-stepped 2x. Its right in between a reg & a stiff."

Worked for me. I thought it was pretty cool that among all the shafts he had there, he happened to have something that fit me perfect!

"What do you think about One length?" I figured this question was going to come up. Chad had told me that last years One length sales comprised 30% of their business.

30% for a really new concept, Wow!

I'm at the Cobra Tour Van, plenty of balls, great grass range.

"I'm game"

Brandon says that they start with the 5 iron to see if your a candidate. As you can see from my Arccos chart above, my 5 and 6 irons are going the same distance. Something is obviously wrong, I might as well try to fix it. So with my new favorite shaft I proceed to hit several good 5 irons. So I ask Brandon "how were those,?" he says, not yet.

The next test is the 9 iron.

When you set it down it looks a bit like an 8 iron because the shaft is longer but the total weight and SW are not heavy. I thought the first few shots I hit went a mile.

So I asked how far those went, "just hit a few more and we'll look"

Lots of high straight shots.

Brandon .. "come over and look now"

High( for me) straight, a good descent angle and medium spin. All good numbers and.....

5 iron 196 yard average

9 iron 147 yard average

Plus the accuracy was excellent

So....

I opted for One length F8 irons

Now some of you are going to piss on my decision. I know, GI irons are not "players". But the point of this Cobra/Arccos experience is opening yourself up to using actually on course playing data to make us better golfers. I'm totally hooked on the technology.

I've tried nearly every blade/cavity back forged club over the last 20 years. (Thank you BST)

Some felt better, some performed better. Like a lot of guys, I don't play as much I used to. If these GI irons really do make the game easier, Why Not?

I would like to shoot lower scores.

I'm going to embrace the tech and see if GI irons (with really good shafts) can help me score better.

I'll be updating this thread every so often, so that everyone can see if this really does work.

Here's the build sheet.

F8+ 8.5d* Nardo Grey PX Even Flow 65 5.5 44.25"

F8 15.5d* Nardo Grey PX Even Flow 65 5.5 42.5"

King Oversize Hybrid 19.5* Recoil ES F3 -1/2"

F8 One length Nippon Modus 130 Stiff soft stepped 2x 5-Pw

King Black Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* and 62* STD lengths

Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85

That upper left signature is Klay Thompson from the Warriors - Splash brother

Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85

The last few pics are from inside the van.

Soon it will be fully functional and while you go play 9 they will build your set.

Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85

pretty cool stats

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

So the woods part of my fitting was pretty straight forward.

I had spent some time with my friend at Kepler's Golf

(GD Top 100 clubfitter)

we went thru a driver and fairway fitting on his indoor Trakman.

I did this so I could spend more time on the irons and wedges.

Brandon had me try some other options but

the end result was very similar to what

my friend and I had worked out.

F8+ driver and the F8 fairway the difference

was how much I ended up liking the PX Evenflow

It felt really smooth but not wimpy,

it rewarded good swings and even got some

descent results with some not so good swings.

The hybrid section was interesting, I tried the utility iron

with several shafts but never did get good results.

First we tried the new F8 hybrids,

then F7, still not so good.

The he went to the 2017 King Oversize.

BINGO

Long high shots with much less curve.

Turns out the new F8 hybrids are more upright because

customer feedback said the KO was too flat.

Too flat worked for me...

The wedge portion of the fitting was pretty short as we were running out of time.

I hit several different shots to get a feel for the different bounce options.

On Brandon's recommendation I settled on 4 wedges to evenly gap with the strong lofted Pw

50 & 54 versatile grind

58 wide and low

and a custom grind on the 60 bent to 62

Now comes the interesting part.

Chad takes me to a really nice lunch for some needed refueling after hitting a thousand golf balls.

Then he asks about my flight time, plenty of time...

"Why dont we go back to headquarters for a bit of a tour"

Puma has a great soccer heritage, I loved seeing this

I played Div. 1 soccer at UC Berkeley (back in the day) Big Pele fan

INext up was an impromptu One man focus group with Mike (Chad's boss) and Jose (Director of Marketing)

Enjoy the pics

Yeah, you can tell who these were built for;

Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85

Great write up Ice. Its been many moons since we tee'd it up with Russ and the Powerbilt Nitrogen at Haggin Oaks! Glad to hear your health is good going forward and I'll be anxious to hear how you are taking to single length.

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

A few pics from Chad @ Cobra of me...

Shut your eyes, too gruesome for words.

Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85

I'm going to Cobra to get fit on Saturday and can't wait! Are there any questions you guys would like answered? Anything specific you want me to hit and review?

Any of the Single Length stuff including the driving irons.

Still really interested in this, but don't think I'd ever try it unless I got the opportunity to be custom fit for all my iron/wedges.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

I'm going to Cobra to get fit on Saturday and can't wait! Are there any questions you guys would like answered? Anything specific you want me to hit and review?

Still really interested in this, but don't think I'd ever try it unless I got the opportunity to be custom fit for all my iron/wedges.

I'm a huge driving iron fan so that is definitely on the todo list. I'm not sure how I feel about one length but will give it a shot for sure.

Ping G430 Max 10k
Ping G430 2 Hybrid
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60

So I went through my fitting on Saturday Morning and here is the outcome. I wanted to start by saying how awesome it was to be able to drive out to Carlsbad to be properly fit by Brandon outdoors with trackman. My fitting was scheduled for 9am and Encinitas Ranch Golf course but I was invited to meet Mike for breakfast. Mike is the Senior Director of Innovation and AI. Very fancy title for a very smart guy. We sat and had breakfast as he picked my brain on Arccos, Golf, and just life in general. I let him look at my Arccos data and gave him feedback on things I thought we could improve and things I really enjoyed. Mike wasn’t able to stay for the whole fitting because he had his kids’ birthday party to get ready for. I completely understand and appreciate him coming to meet me for breakfast and talk golf.

Here is what I was fit into and below is the story on how we got there.

Driver - F8+ 8* with Project X T1100 65x

King F8+ 16* wood with HZRDUS Black 75x

King Oversize 19* Hybrid with HZRDUX Black 85x

King Utility One Length - 24* KBS CT LITE Stiff +1/2"

King Forged Tech 6-W Nippon Modus 120x +1/2"

50*, 54*, 60* Black Wedges - Nippon Modux 120x Wedge shaft +1/2"

After Breakfast he drove me to the back of the range where I met Brandon and we immediately got to work. He had me warm up with a forged tech 7 iron with an X100 in it. I’ve always played x100 in my shafts so we wanted to use that as a baseline. After hitting about 10 balls I switched over to some Bridgestone balls and we got to work.

We went through several shafts starting with the X100 and when to the new KBS Ctaper, next the Project X IZ, and finally the Nippon Modus 125. All of them performed well but the biggest factor was height. Living in Arizona and playing on some really hard/fast conditions I wanted to get more height with my irons. That was ultimately the goal for the entire fitting was to hit my irons higher and woods with less spin.

The Nippons were by far the best for me. I was able to get peak height consistently above 90ft whereas the other iron shafts I was hovering between 75-80 feet peak height. Brandon is a master at his craft. Switching back and forth between several shafts. At no point did I look down or even ask to hit a specific iron shaft. I told Brandon before we started to just give me stuff to hit and I’ll hit it the best I can. In the end I probably hit 100 7 irons with different shafts/lengths and lies but ended up on this set.

King Forged Tech 6-PW with Nippon Modus 12x + ½ inch. Below is a screenshot of the trackman data. It’s labeled the IZ but these are the numbers from the Modus.

Next, we moved to the top of the bag. This is where I had the most room for improvement. I had several clubs that were pretty much useless because the yardages were very close if not exactly the same as some of the others. My 5 iron and 4 hybrid would go the same distance and my 3 wood was useless off the deck. I would only use it off of the tee when I thought I would need more accuracy. However, it turns out I miss just as often with my 3 wood as I did with my driver. 45% of the time I missed right of the fairway.

First, he handed me the Oversized Hybrid set at 19* I have never hit a Cobra hybrid and didn’t even know they made an Oversize vs a regular size. My first thought was man this is a big hybrid. I initially had the stock Tensei blue in there but he quickly took that out. He popped in a HZRDUS Black 85x in there and we got great results. He was so happy with the numbers that we didn’t even hit any other shaft combos. It was perfect height and gave us the yardage we needed to fill the gap.

I asked him what are we going to do about a 5 iron? I normally don’t like typical 5 irons. I currently play a Gmax 5 iron and rarely ever hit it. So he had me hit the forged tech 5 iron and see what I thought. It was good but not what I was looking for. It went too low and just didn’t feel right for me. Then things got weird. He said let’s try this and hands me a 5 utility ONE length with a regular length shaft in it. He said with this all you need to do is swing smooth. We’re going to try a stiff flex to see if we can get it a bit higher. MAN! I could immediately feel the difference in how heavy the one length head was and though there’s no way this would work. I tried 2 different shafts (KBS Prototype hybrid shaft and the C-taper Lite shaft) Both of them performed extremely well but the C-taper just felt like the club was swinging itself the ball was launching higher than I have ever hit a 5 iron and was fitting perfectly in our yardage gaps. That’s was an easy decision to make so we locked it in and went to the driver.

When this whole thing started I was most excited about the driver fitting. I thought I could just pick some irons and hybrids and be just fine no worst then, I have now. But up to this point nothing I have been fit for was what I would have picked for myself. So when I was getting ready for the driver fitting I thought, here we go. I’m going to hit like 15 different shafts and hit 100 drives so I can test every shaft in the world. Boy was I wrong. Brandon asked me what I currently have in my driver so I told him the HZRDUS Black 65x. We start there and get pretty good numbers. He mentioned we likely found our winner on the first try but he had an idea. He said if you like the black you’re going to love this. He then pulls out a Handcrafted T1100 and says let’s give this a whirl. It took 5 swings for him to say stop and wrote it down on my order form. I’ve never had my spin as low as we got it with the F8+ head and the combo with the shaft is just heaven. I have included trackman data below for the black and t1100.

To Be continued....

Ping G430 Max 10k
Ping G430 2 Hybrid
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60

I'm a huge driving iron fan so that is definitely on the todo list. I'm not sure how I feel about one length but will give it a shot for sure.

... ends up with the One Length driving iron!

Love it, so jelly you guys got to do this stuff. Keep us updated, sounds like such an awesome experience.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

... ends up with the One Length driving iron!

Love it, so jelly you guys got to do this stuff. Keep us updated, sounds like such an awesome experience.

Right. I was pretty skeptical of the one length and actually found out a buddy of mine has been using them for a while. I was surprised how smooth it felt and easy to hit it was. While the rest of the clubs didn't work out for me but I was happy to put the utility in my bag.

Ping G430 Max 10k
Ping G430 2 Hybrid
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60