Myrtle Beach Courses Damaged Greens

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't speak to Myrtle Beach in particular, but think that both carolinas in general took a hit this winter. Just played a course northwest of Wilmington that usually has very nice greens. Winter kill/cold rot whatever it is called took a toll on the greens. I think it really affected courses with the new champions bermuda. When the grass first came out, a greenskeeper told me that the grass does not take freezing temps well at all. You must get the tarps out and cover them and leave them covered. The course I played didn't do that.

Myrtle Beach courses (majority of them) rely on year round play.

anyone know status of barefoot? will be there wednesday? the dye course is not available, but still leaves the other 3 courses to play.

thanks,

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

All of barefoot is damaged. Was told a few greens last week, and they all were horrid. It was very disappointing. Arcadian shores greens were intact, only slower. Going to try myrtlewood Tuesday, i was told they were intact as well.

Edit: I played the Fazio.

Taylormade m6 8.0  t1100 85 6.5
Taylormade m5 15   T1100 95 6.5
Pxg gen 2 x 3 iron 
Miura MC 501 raw 4-w Nippon spb x
Miura 51 55 59 wedges s400 
Slighter custom Tacoma

Very disappointing to see all this damage along the coast. Our home club in Columbia has beautiful greens. And they just redid all the irrigation over the winter so the fairways and rough are looking fabulous. I'll do some heavy research moving forward before loading the clubs for a trip back home to Myrtle Beach this summer.

If you go to thesunnews.com there is a list of courses closing to put in new greens after the damage. Alot of coming back now that it is warm and the grass is growing well again.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

All of barefoot is damaged. Was told a few greens last week, and they all were horrid. It was very disappointing. Arcadian shores greens were intact, only slower. Going to try myrtlewood Tuesday, i was told they were intact as well.

Edit: I played the Fazio.

Staying in N. Myrtle Next week across from Barefoot. Was planning on spending some time there practicing. Is the practice green damaged as well?

Thanks for the tip to go to the Sun News. Nice to see Shaftesbury and Tidewater did well as I will just play those for the summer when visiting.

Also makes feel better about considering Tidewater for a second home if they have the knowledge and money to cover the greens and keep the course in great condition. Their greens looked superb Saturday when I was looking at lots.

Anyone got any courses they have played that the greens are so damaged it’s borderline unplayable?

I’ll start with Myrtle Beach National.

Very disappointing without any discounts.

i find that a common occurrence there

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

The wife and I played Myrtlewood (Pinehills) at the beginning of May, and the greens were good, certainly very playable, but nothing spectacular. That's pretty much what I expected for one of the cheaper courses in MB.

We also played Wachesaw Plantation Club, a private residential course, with a pass my mother won at a golf tournament. One of the nicest courses I've ever played, with absolutely immaculate conditions and spectacular greens. Very nice/upscale residential community as well, with a lot of beautiful homes. If you ever get an invite, don't give it a second thought, just go.

I lived in Myrtle back in the mid to late 90's when I went to school at CCU.

Very common for courses to lose their greens is the summer. Of course, back then there was a lot more golfers playing courses in the Spring.

I saw Caledonia, Myrtle Beach National (including King's North), The Witch, Wachesaw, Pawley's Plantation, Myrtlewood, Blackmoore, Pine Lakes, etc....all lose their greens at least one summer there.

I remember one summer we got onto King's North for free because of the contacts I had. But, they charged everybody else $100. And that was to play on TEMPORARY GREENS.

RH

The wife and I played Myrtlewood (Pinehills) at the beginning of May, and the greens were good, certainly very playable, but nothing spectacular. That's pretty much what I expected for one of the cheaper courses in MB.

We also played Wachesaw Plantation Club, a private residential course, with a pass my mother won at a golf tournament. One of the nicest courses I've ever played, with absolutely immaculate conditions and spectacular greens. Very nice/upscale residential community as well, with a lot of beautiful homes. If you ever get an invite, don't give it a second thought, just go.

Agree on wachesaw. One of my favorite courses I’ve ever played. Felt like my group was the only one one the course too.

Agree on wachesaw. One of my favorite courses I’ve ever played. Felt like my group was the only one one the course too.

lol... did you see the men's room in the clubhouse? Ridiculous.

Winter Pines in Orlando, FL

What a garbage crap course...a real 'goat track'.

The greens are like playing on the surface of the moon, or Mars. Sandy, wet, green sand, white sand, bumpy, holes, divots, you name it. Probably 11 of 18 holes are THIS BAD.

Got paired up with some members, and they blamed the bad course conditions on the course being built on top of an old cattle farm, and old dead cows under the soil releasing too much methane for the greens to handle. I nearly pissed myself laughing after they left telling me that.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

It’s been a couple years since I’ve been there. Can’t remember the locker room. Good or bad? I’m gonna try and get back there this year.

Was in Myrtle the second week in May staying at Barefoot. Their courses were okay then but was hearing that as soon as the hot weather showed up, their greens would be in trouble. Was scheduled to play Thistle but was told by locals that their greens were toast. Played Grande Dunes and about half their greens were shot. Tidewater was about perfect and Barefoot courses were good while we were there.

Ping G400 LST 8.5*
Ping G400 3W
Srixon Z U85 3 & 4 
Srixon Z585 5-AW
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* & 58*
Odyssey Black Series TD #1W

Was in Myrtle the second week in May staying at Barefoot. Their courses were okay then but was hearing that as soon as the hot weather showed up, their greens would be in trouble. Was scheduled to play Thistle but was told by locals that their greens were toast. Played Grande Dunes and about half their greens were shot. Tidewater was about perfect and Barefoot courses were good while we were there.

When you hear that say about south of Richmond, VA, it usually means that the greens were overseeded with some type of winter rye. When the weather warms, it dies. Many courses in the south used to do that as a regular part of maintenance. However, with the new strains of bermuda being used in the greens, overseeding is not required. They just paint them. The problem is that these new strains of bermuda don't take freezing temps very well. They have to be covered with tarps like a baseball diamond is when it rains.

Courses with the old type of bermuda and bent grass greens should be ok. Unfortunately, courses have switched to the new strains of bermuda because it putts so much better-almost no grain. Many of the courses in Myrtle Beach (and in the south in general) switched grasses but didn't cover the greens during extreme weather. Myrtle Beach courses are open for business all year round. They really have no off-season anymore when it comes to golf.

It’s been a couple years since I’ve been there. Can’t remember the locker room. Good or bad? I’m gonna try and get back there this year.

Ridiculous as in amazing. Like a high-end man spa.

played barefoot last week. dye was closed, but played norman, love and fazio. norman looked bad, but was green, rolled decent. loves good greens were good, but had a few that were bad and one that was cracked baked earth. fazio was recently punched and was fuzzy and slow compared to the others. i played on wednesday when they have the reduce rate (completely unknowing that was the case that day). for the reduced rate, i won't complain too much. had i paid full price, i would have been upset.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Myrtle Beach is losing golf traffic to other places that is cheaper and easier to get to. North Myrtle Beach has turned into a ghetto. Alot of courses have closed and some don't overseed with rye. It's still a decent place to golf and has some fine courses but you will pay. I only go their because a friend has a place I can use. Still a pain to drive to.

Used to go to MB every year. Not any more.

A lot of ignorant rednecks who play beyond slow and do not understand common courtesy like raking traps and fixing ball marks.

For what you pay, there is better golf elsewhere.

Sounds like a place in NE Ohio. Blaring music, guys yelling at each other down the fairway, tearing up the course etc. what a shame for a Pete Dye course.

Used to go to MB every year. Not any more.

A lot of ignorant rednecks who play beyond slow and do not understand common courtesy like raking traps and fixing ball marks.

For what you pay, there is better golf elsewhere.

Sounds like a place in NE Ohio. Blaring music, guys yelling at each other down the fairway, tearing up the course etc. what a shame for a Pete Dye course.

Fowlers Mill?? I'm trying to picture Dye tracks in this area...

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1