How to choose a putter to help break 70

eboettne

I've been missing a ton of putts lately which is the reason for this thread. I'm hitting the ball as well as I have my entire life but missing birdie putts inside 15-20 feet consistently. Just yesterday I hit, 15/18 greens and shot 72 with 33 putts. On the back 9 alone, I had 8 birdie chances with 7 of them in the 15-20 foot range and probably 3 or 4 of those in the 7-12 foot range and DIDN'T MAKE A SINGLE ONE. To say I was frustrated is an understatement. On one hand I'm ecstatic to be hitting the ball so well, but to leave so many chances out there is maddening. I've been on a quest to break 70 for the first time since college for the last 4-5 years and have shot 70 three or four times but never the elusive 69. So I think part of the issue is not pressing when I know I'm close but I think the putter could be the wrong for me as well.

I've used 3 putters in my entire life. An Arnold Palmer, Scotty Cameron Newport 2, and now an Odyssey Mallet for the past 5 or so years. The only way I've really chosen putters is to go hit them in a golf store for 20-30 minutes but I'm sure there's a better way. Last year I got a counterbalance grip added to my Odyssey which seemed to help my speed but not actually making putts, which is sort of the point. The putter I currently have is toe balanced, which from what I've understood is good if you open then square the face at impact. However, I think I usually am a straight back and through putter, especially on the putts inside 20 feet. Could this be the source of my woes? What is a good way to get fitted or decide what a better option might be for me? I'd like to stick with a mallet if possible as I think the larger clubhead gives me confidence on the 3-5 footers.

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently game an evnroll, I would highly recommend checking them out the face tech they have works, also as far as fitting I would recommend finding a certified edel fitter and go through their process even if you do not buy an edel putter you will know what you need to look for in a putter. They focus on aim and speed control, I went through the process and it was eye opening how the slightest changes to sightlines can affect aim. Good luck hopefully this helps.

What makes you think it's you putter and not your green reading skills?

Are you missing everything close to the hole with short tap ins? If so it might be your green reading needs some help as you are really close to making the putts.

Or are you getting the ball to get a nice roll on it on the longer putts which is getting the ball offline?

Another option is to just hit approach shots closer and take some of the pressure off your putter. (Sorry I could not resist, had a coach tell me that years ago when we were talking about this same topic).

I currently game an evnroll, I would highly recommend checking them out the face tech they have works, also as far as fitting I would recommend finding a certified edel fitter and go through their process even if you do not buy an edel putter you will know what you need to look for in a putter. They focus on aim and speed control, I went through the process and it was eye opening how the slightest changes to sightlines can affect aim. Good luck hopefully this helps.

I will definitely do this, seems like a good option to become more informed on my specific putting stroke.

pga tour average for that distance is well below 30% afiak...not sure what level of success you're expecting. With that % it wouldn't be unusual to make zero putts in that range during a round.

What I expect is to be able to get around a course in less than 30 putts per round on occasion, especially when I'm flushing my approach shots.

Are you missing everything close to the hole with short tap ins? If so it might be your green reading needs some help as you are really close to making the putts.

Or are you getting the ball to get a nice roll on it on the longer putts which is getting the ball offline?

Another option is to just hit approach shots closer and take some of the pressure off your putter. (Sorry I could not resist, had a coach tell me that years ago when we were talking about this same topic).

Good point about green reading, I could probably use a lesson or two in this area to make sure I'm starting putts on the right line/speed to begin with.

I've been missing a ton of putts lately which is the reason for this thread. I'm hitting the ball as well as I have my entire life but missing birdie putts inside 15-20 feet consistently. Just yesterday I hit, 15/18 greens and shot 72 with 33 putts. On the back 9 alone, I had 8 birdie chances with 7 of them in the 15-20 foot range and probably 3 or 4 of those in the 7-12 foot range and DIDN'T MAKE A SINGLE ONE. To say I was frustrated is an understatement. On one hand I'm ecstatic to be hitting the ball so well, but to leave so many chances out there is maddening. I've been on a quest to break 70 for the first time since college for the last 4-5 years and have shot 70 three or four times but never the elusive 69. So I think part of the issue is not pressing when I know I'm close but I think the putter could be the wrong for me as well.

I've used 3 putters in my entire life. An Arnold Palmer, Scotty Cameron Newport 2, and now an Odyssey Mallet for the past 5 or so years. The only way I've really chosen putters is to go hit them in a golf store for 20-30 minutes but I'm sure there's a better way. Last year I got a counterbalance grip added to my Odyssey which seemed to help my speed but not actually making putts, which is sort of the point. The putter I currently have is toe balanced, which from what I've understood is good if you open then square the face at impact. However, I think I usually am a straight back and through putter, especially on the putts inside 20 feet. Could this be the source of my woes? What is a good way to get fitted or decide what a better option might be for me? I'd like to stick with a mallet if possible as I think the larger clubhead gives me confidence on the 3-5 footers.

I think you may have an unrealistic expectation of how many of those putts you should be making.

You don’t say exactly, but if your 7 putts within 20 feet were distributed as 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, and 20 feet, the average PGA Tour Pro would take somewhere around 12.1 strokes to hole out on those seven greens from those distances.

Assuming you two-putted each of the seven chances, you missed somewhere between 1 and 2 putts that a tour pro could reasonably expect to make. If you’re around scratch, maybe you missed one putt you could have expected to make.

I get that it’s frustrating to hit the ball great and not score as well as you would have liked, but a new putter isn’t going to have you routinely starting to hole 7 to 20 foot putts at a better rate than tour pros.

I’m in almost the exact same boat interested in this thread

pga tour average for that distance is well below 30% afiak...not sure what level of success you're expecting. With that % it wouldn't be unusual to make zero putts in that range during a round.

What I expect is to be able to get around a course in less than 30 putts per round on occasion, especially when I'm flushing my approach shots.

Putts per round is a misleading stat.

The more greens you hit, the more 2 putts you'll have, and your putts per round will go up.

When Tiger was dominating, his putts per GIR was around 1.7, so he was making about 3 out of every 10 birdie putts. The important stat is his proximity to hole for approach shots.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

All of this is interesting input. I do believe I should be making more putts even hitting that many greens, especially as a scratch player. You can say my expectations are unrealistic but fact of the matter is I've been a much more consistent putter from the distances I'm referencing when my ball striking wasn't quite as polished. Putts per round isn't everything obviously but 33 putts isn't a good putting round unless you're consistently putting yourself 50 feet from the pin and that's not even remotely the case. Also, the course I play the majority of my rounds on has fairly flat and smooth greens with subtle breaks. In other words, it's a course you can roll a lot of putts in on.

I wonder though if anyone has any input on having problems using a toe balanced putter with a putting stroke that stays pretty square throughout? I guess I'll just have to try a few putters to find out what mallet would be good for my stroke but though someone on here may have recommendations on a few specific putters for this type of stroke.

For the past 5 years I've been a horrible putter. Changed putters, stances, etc but nothing worked and I would still miss 4 footers like it was nothing. Last year I switched to the left hand low (right hand for me as I'm a lefty) and my putting improved some, but nothing to write home about.

Earlier this year I found a thread here someone replied to about how to grip the putter for the left hand low. It took a little playing around with to get comfortable, but I'm putting the best in my life this season. Here is a link to the post I'm referring to - http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1613644-new-to-left-hand-low-cross-handed-putting%3B-a-couple-questions/?do=findComment&comment=17081912

One thing that helped me to putt better with this grip was going to the practice green and holding the putter with my top hand (left hand in my case, would be right for you), and putting a few balls to a hole about 5' away. Start to get the feeling of controlling the face, and keeping it square. After that put the low hand on the grip but with light pressure and just make that same stroke.

If you're struggling with your putting it's something to consider....but I am no means an expert on the putting stroke.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0
3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM5 50°, Cleveland Zipcore 54°, Cleveland Zipcore 58°
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab 3

Missing left? Right? All over? Pushes or pulls? What kind of grip do you use? How do you grip the putter? Does your right hand take over? Tons of putters out there if you want to switch to face balanced, but that is one of numerous factors. Head shape, alignment lines and where they appear, hosel type, offset, curved or straight trailing edge, total weight, putter’s balance — it all adds up to how your brain sees and aims.

A fitting on a SAM lab would be a great place to start.

If you want to tinker without a fitting, you need to have a solid understanding of your misses and the specs of the putters that are not working. There is a lot to it. I learned I aim tremendously better with a rounded trailing edge because my brain likes to use the face to aim and the curvature at the back guarantees I will have to. Too many lines can screw you up as much as anything else.

I can 2 putt with almost anything. Certain shapes and alignments will produce more putts holed. Getting fitted gave me a basic understanding of how I aim and I have been able to apply that information to picking out putters I like. And there are always exceptions.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Op it’s as if you wrote this aboot me.

I feel your pain.

So many rounds with 1-2 kick In birdies from par 5s. 12-14 greens hit and like yesterday 7 birdie putts inside 10 ft. Didn’t hit the hole with any.

And you watch your higher cap playing partners make a couple 12-15 footers every round. Right ? Right ! I don’t have the answer. But these guys above acting like you shouldn’t expect to make 10-20 % of these putts are dead wrong. Putting is the only part of the game where you can be as good as any person on earth. No physical reason why not assuming able bodied person.

I say this. Yet I haven’t found the answer either.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Op it's as if you wrote this aboot me.

I feel your pain.

So many rounds with 1-2 kick In birdies from par 5s. 12-14 greens hit and like yesterday 7 birdie putts inside 10 ft. Didn't hit the hole with any.

And you watch your higher cap playing partners make a couple 12-15 footers every round. Right ? Right ! I don't have the answer. But these guys above acting like you shouldn't expect to make 10-20 % of these putts are dead wrong. Putting is the only part of the game where you can be as good as any person on earth. No physical reason why not assuming able bodied person.

I say this. Yet I haven't found the answer either.

Glad to hear there is someone else in my shoes. Anyone can roll putts because I've seen it done by mid handicappers. I think what I've taken out of this is I really need to drill down on my putting with a fitting and possibly some lessons. Like I said, I've only ever had 3 putters and don't really go to the practice green with a plan. I also think I need to educate myself on green reading because I miss putts high and low. I feel like my speed is pretty good for the most part but misread the break pretty consistently. It is so frustrating and I feel your pain. Here's to hoping we start rolling in some putts soon!

I feel your pain.

So many rounds with 1-2 kick In birdies from par 5s. 12-14 greens hit and like yesterday 7 birdie putts inside 10 ft. Didn’t hit the hole with any.

And you watch your higher cap playing partners make a couple 12-15 footers every round. Right ? Right ! I don’t have the answer. But these guys above acting like you shouldn’t expect to make 10-20 % of these putts are dead wrong. Putting is the only part of the game where you can be as good as any person on earth. No physical reason why not assuming able bodied person.

Who is acting like the OP shouldn’t expect to make 10% to 20% of those putts? That’s precisely what the statistics say should be happening - I.e. of 7 putts between 7 and 20 feet, you can probably reasonably expect to make 1 or 2. Making no putts in 7 chances from that range during a round is a below average day. Making 3 would be an above average day.

My point is that if statistics show that making 1 out of 7 of those putts could be considered an average putting day, and you have a round where you happen to make none of them, you probably shouldn’t be using that one round where you missed one more putt than you usually would as the basis for a complete stroke and equipment overhaul.

It’s entirely possible that independent of the numbers the OP provided, he’s a sh!tty putter, and putting lessons and a new putter are a good idea for him. He just shouldn’t be going down that road based on one round where he made one fewer putt than could be reasonably expected from someone at his level.

I would expect to make at least 25 pct of putts in this range. If not, I am either reading the putt wrong or the putter is not aiming where my eyes think it is aiming or I am not rolling the ball on the line I see. A putter can look like it is aimed at a certain spot and then if you put a laser aimed down that line, it very easily can be off. Just a few degrees off and you’re missing a 10 foot putt.

Alignment lines are not always your friend. You need a putter matched up to what you are seeing. Try this: Find a putter with no alignment lines at all, maybe just a sight dot, and see how you do. Often, a natural state of putting will work better than ‘lining it up.’

For your predicament, I would recommend an Edel putter fitting. You do not have to buy their putters, you can just pay for a fitting. They use mirrors and laser pointers to test how you aim and it really will tell you the type of hosel, head, loft and alignment aids that fit you best. It clears away a lot of uncertainty about whether you even have a putter that matches how your brain aims.

Before getting fitted, I had all these wives’ tales in my head — I am left-handed and left-eye dominant but I play golf right-handed, so allegedly I need a center-shafted putter with no offset. That’s what the forums all say. It is hogwash. That was totally wrong and there are zero studies to support that claim. My fitter said he has heard it for years but has fit more than 100 left-eye dominant players and said “it is all individual. They fit all types of putters and there is no pattern.”

What I fit into was a full-shaft offset plumbers neck, wide blade with a curved trailing edge, no alignment aids and 1 degree of loft (I do not forward press, which requires more loft because the stroke takes loft off). The difference: Putts that used to end up near the hole, just missing, now go in the hole.

It is difficult to see it on your own although I do believe most golfers can recall certain shapes that worked better for them and that is a good place to start. But the other factors need to be measured. Fastest way to take strokes off your game.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I feel your pain.

Who is acting like the OP shouldn’t expect to make 10% to 20% of those putts? That’s precisely what the statistics say should be happening - I.e. of 7 putts between 7 and 20 feet, you can probably reasonably expect to make 1 or 2. Making no putts in 7 chances from that range during a round is a below average day. Making 3 would be an above average day.

My point is that if statistics show that making 1 out of 7 of those putts could be considered an average putting day, and you have a round where you happen to make none of them, you probably shouldn’t be using that one round where you missed one more putt than you usually would as the basis for a complete stroke and equipment overhaul.

It’s entirely possible that independent of the numbers the OP provided, he’s a sh!tty putter, and putting lessons and a new putter are a good idea for him. He just shouldn’t be going down that road based on one round where he made one fewer putt than could be reasonably expected from someone at his level.

I can assure you this isn't a one round event, that would be a moronic conclusion to jump to. And I stated I've made putts at a higher rate in the past. But to just say my expectations are too high(as some have) seems to be a good attitude for never improving.

Good point about green reading, I could probably use a lesson or two in this area to make sure I'm starting putts on the right line/speed to begin with.

I was thinking about this thread over the weekend and another thought for you would be to track all of your misses. And when I say misses I'm talking about any putt that you feel you can make. While I agree with what others have said about how many of these length putts are normally made. I also think you might be amazed at what the stats show you. They very well could show you trends in your putting game that are showing you are missing everything to the left or right. Maybe you are seeing more be short and always missing on the high side. When My putting gets in a slump I track the misses over a few rounds and it usually tells me what I'm doing wrong. Might be worth a try.

I recently video recorded my putting stroke down the line by putting my cell phone on the ground behind the ball and club. The most surprising thing to me was that at address, my toe was way up in air. I think my topline was noticeably off horizontal. This probably explains my tendency to pull putts to the left. I never remotely thought that I might not be addressing the putter horizontally.

I don't know if I was just flattening the shaft angle subconsciously because I tend to lay the grip in my fingers too much, or if I need to get fitted. Either way, i have a direction to move to improve my putting.

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5 (-1), Ventus Black 6s
Cobra F7 3 Wood
Titleist 718 TMB 2 iron 17*

Adams TI Hybrid 20* and 23*
Srixon zx5 4-5, zx7 6-pw, s300, 2* flat

Vokey SM6 50f12
Vokey SM7 54s10

Mizuno T10 60

Odyssey White Hot #1 (2006)