Rusty Wedges Anyone?!??

Ramathorn ·  
RamathornRamathorn Members  131WRX Points: 63Posts: 131 Fairways
Question: Who else can't get enough of the raw, unique look of a wedge that's developed when it's been caked in a crusty layer of rusty goodness?!?!

I thought if it hadn't been done already (let me know WRXers), it might be pretty neat for us to start a post with some of our favorite rusted companions.

I was lucky enough to get a set of Callaway MD4's, which they have started offering in RAW.......needless to say, I haven't been disappointed! After a quick range session upon receiving the new sticks, I brought them home to do a simple DIY project & get the oxidation and rust kick started. Through the years I have rusted countless oil can or similar finish wedges, yet I've never gotten my hands on a RAW wedge. MAN, have I been missing out!!!

For 3 days (approx. 6 hours a day), I soaked paper towels in water and draped them over the wedges, making sure to monitor the progress along the way. With RAW wedges, there is no need strip the finish, so good ol' fashioned H20 and time seemed to do the trick. After the 3 days, here are my results...

Posted:
PING G410 LST 9* w/Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70x
PING G410 5w, -1.5* w/Mitsubishi Diamana 80x
PING iBlades 3-PW w/DG X100
PING Glide Forged 50,54,60 w/DG X100
PING Cushin, Wrx Special ;) 

Comments

• jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members  4649WRX Points: 247Posts: 4,649 Titanium Tees
    That's a little overkill there... That doesn't look like "gradually seasoned".. that looks like you accidentally left them out in the rain...

For a MONTH!!!!
    Posted:
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ArafelArafel Members  4279WRX Points: 165Posts: 4,279 Titanium Tees
    Sorry man, it looks horrid. lol
    Posted:
  • PSUJJH86PSUJJH86 Members  22WRX Points: 0Posts: 22
    Woof.
    Posted:
  • 1s1k1s1k A-Town, MAMembers  604WRX Points: 354Handicap: 5'ishPosts: 604 Golden Tee
    I just let mine happen
    Posted:
    TM SIM 8* Driver Ventus Black 7X 
    TM P790 UDI 2-Iron 2nd Gen HZRDUS Smoke 100g 6.5
    Srixon Z785 3-PW Project X 6.5
    TM MG2 Black Wedges 50.09, 54.11, 60.08 Project X 6.5
    TM MySpider X 34" Black on Black
    TM TP5X

Bag Room
    Mizuno MP32 2-PW 
    Callaway Legacy Black 3-PW 
    Srixon Z745 3-PW
  • JOHN GOLIAJOHN GOLIA On the Bubble Members  1256WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,256 ClubWRX
    I'm sure they will look better soon.

So I will give them a thumbs up for now.
    Posted:
  • IcemanYVRIcemanYVR Amateur Vancouver, BCMembers  1115WRX Points: 139Handicap: 6.2Posts: 1,115 Platinum Tees
    yeah that's not how they're supposed to look. Rusted wedges just happen over time. I've been playing "raw" wedges for 20 years and never seen them look like that.

I guess I'm too busy playing and practicing with them to care.
    Posted:
    Titleist 905R 9.5° | Callaway Diable Octane Tour 15° | Callaway Hawkeye VFT 18° | Mizuno JPX-825 4-PW | Cleveland RTX-3 54 | Cleveland RTX-3 60 | Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 Studio Select | Titleist PRO V1

Advertisement
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members  4649WRX Points: 247Posts: 4,649 Titanium Tees
    IcemanYVR wrote:

yeah that's not how they're supposed to look. Rusted wedges just happen over time. I've been playing "raw" wedges for 20 years and never seen them look like that.

I guess I'm too busy playing and practicing with them to care.

Exactly.. Looks forced.

Not natural.
    Posted:
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
  • skisnutzskisnutz Members  264WRX Points: 60Handicap: 6Posts: 264 Greens
    Your irons look fantastic..…
    Posted:
    Taylormade Sim Max 10.5 Tour AD-VR 6s
    Taylormade Sim Max Rocket 14* Ventus Blue 6s
    Ping G410 17.5* Tour AD-BB 8x
    Ping G410 21* Evenflow Black 85s
    Srixon U85 5-6 Pro Modus Tour 105s
    Srixon 785 7-Pw N.S. Pro Modus Tour 105s
    Cleveland RTX-4  50, 54, 58 N.S. Pro Modus Wedge 115
    Carbon Bandit 303 GSS Custom Milled Center Shaft 
    Srixon Z-Star XV 
  • Hjosh7_Hjosh7_ Members  270WRX Points: 76Handicap: 18Posts: 270 Greens
    I’m more of a fan of the natural, let it happen method, but if that floats your boat, more power to you.

Here is what my 60 degree looked like a few weeks ago before I “restarted” it.

Posted:
    WITB:
    TaylorMade M1(2016) 9.5° - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff
    TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Silver 70 Stiff 
    TaylorMade M4 19° Hybrid - Diamana S+ 80 Stiff
    PING G30 22° Hybrid - PING TFC 419H Stiff
    Nike Vapor Pro Combo 5-PW - Project X Flighted 6.5
    Cleveland RTX 3 50°/54°/60° - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge
    Bettinardi BB29 - Flatso 1.0 - 35”
    Titleist ProV1

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
  • kulreign50kulreign50 Members  259WRX Points: 46Handicap: 8Posts: 259 Greens
    Irons look great ...wedges ..ughhhh not my style.

You own them and it’s your business. I’m an ocd freak , after playing a round and before I put my equipment away, all the clubs and grips get a washing and wipe down and a shine. Don’t know about you but even my non rusted wedges , when struck properly spin back a few feet.
    Posted:
    G400 SFT
    G400 SFT 5 wood 
    G400 22 degree hybrid 
    G400 5-SW
    Glide stealth /58es
    PING VAULT 2.0 CRAZ-EE Stealth 
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members  934WRX Points: 304Posts: 934 Golden Tee
    Ramathorn wrote:

Question: Who else can't get enough of the raw, unique look of a wedge that's developed when it's been caked in a crusty layer of rusty goodness?!?!

I thought if it hadn't been done already (let me know WRXers), it might be pretty neat for us to start a post with some of our favorite rusted companions.

I was lucky enough to get a set of Callaway MD4's, which they have started offering in RAW.......needless to say, I haven't been disappointed! After a quick range session upon receiving the new sticks, I brought them home to do a simple DIY project & get the oxidation and rust kick started. Through the years I have rusted countless oil can or similar finish wedges, yet I've never gotten my hands on a RAW wedge. MAN, have I been missing out!!!

For 3 days (approx. 6 hours a day), I soaked paper towels in water and draped them over the wedges, making sure to monitor the progress along the way. With RAW wedges, there is no need strip the finish, so good ol' fashioned H20 and time seemed to do the trick. After the 3 days, here are my results...

Nice effort, and if you like them that is what matters.

However if you do decide to do it again, simple saltwater will accomplish it but without the paper towel patterns. Or if in a hurry you can use a peroxide and water solution with salt.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • RamathornRamathorn Members  131WRX Points: 63Posts: 131 Fairways
    Arafel wrote:

Sorry man, it looks horrid. lol

I guess to each there own? image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' /> Lol. To me they look pretty dang sweet, definitely looking forward to gaming these!

I will usually start my wedges out with a solid coat of the good stuff image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> , give them a solid cleaning within the first few weeks & then play them into more of a 'natural' finish.

I thought the initial finish looked pretty cool & just wanted to share with other golf junkies I guess haha.

1Mordrid1 wrote:

Ramathorn wrote:

Nice effort, and if you like them that is what matters.

However if you do decide to do it again, simple saltwater will accomplish it but without the paper towel patterns. Or if in a hurry you can use a peroxide and water solution with salt.

Thanks for the tip! I've tried saltwater before, but have had mixed results, definitely willing to try again!

kulreign50 wrote:

Irons look great ...wedges ..ughhhh not my style.

You own them and it’s your business. I’m an ocd freak , after playing a round and before I put my equipment away, all the clubs and grips get a washing and wipe down and a shine. Don’t know about you but even my non rusted wedges , when struck properly spin back a few feet.

Something about that raw, rusty just really gets me. If I can look down at a wedge that 'looks' like it's 50+ years old, it tricks me into thinking we're already lifelong friends! Haha.

Cheers y'all image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' /> - would love to see some more rusty WITB!
    Posted:
    PING G410 LST 9* w/Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70x
    PING G410 5w, -1.5* w/Mitsubishi Diamana 80x
    PING iBlades 3-PW w/DG X100
    PING Glide Forged 50,54,60 w/DG X100
    PING Cushin, Wrx Special ;) 
  • desailledesaille Members  1750WRX Points: 165Posts: 1,750 Platinum Tees
    They look sweet

Posted:
  • Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members  1029WRX Points: 287Posts: 1,029 Platinum Tees
    True raw
    Posted:
    Ping G400 9.5 Aldilla 2kxv green 75g
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 3W 14.5 Aldilla Tour Blue 85g
    Nike VR Pro Combo 2-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
    TP5X

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.