Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

These just don't do it for me. Think I'm to mentally fixated to ping. I like the looks but didn't care for the feel and swingweight felt I little heavy for me. I play everything at d0 and these feel quit a bit heavier. Have them with upgraded recoil 95 F4 up in the classified if anyone interested 6 7 9 still in plastic others used 1 round 1 range.

order a custom set!! mine came in at C7/8 and TM refuses to fix them

I did order a custom set directly through tm with recoil 95 F4. They said I could not request swingweight.

Order a set at +1" length. That will ensure they use their lighter dot serial number heads. Then just get the 1" cut off and they will be no heavier than D0.

a little late for that now eeeh.

The black ones do look great but we all know how the face would end up looking like after 20 rounds or so. Plus for the extra dough for them I'm very happy with my purchase

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Hit the 7 iron today and was pretty impressed with the feel. Seemed pretty easy to hit. May pick up a set in a year or two.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Second round today, not as sweet as the 73 last week but a 77. We are having a record setting heat wave here in Los Angeles, today, the 110 heat just killed me as well as the many lip out, burn the hole birdie putts that could have made that little difference.

Anyway, I finally finished re-gripping all my P790s with the Grip Master perforated grips. I can no longer blame the grip for my error shots but I didn't need to. I had a really nice iron day, played some long irons, they are just SO easy to hit and fly pretty straight as well. I don't think I ever went right with any of my irons. Distance is a tad better than my best irons, I really think I found that nice combo for me: a softer flex Modus 3 105 shaft (versus what I normally play, a stiff) and with a 1* stronger loft to control the launch. Bingo.

I had so much fun and confidence with the irons now. No regrets coming back from 6 months of One Length irons for sure, my middle and long iron game is back!

:idhitit: & :smilie_tm: FTW!

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I don’t understand why people on this site get buttsore over lofts and if a 790 7 iron goes as far as their previous 6 iron; you’re able to use a shorter length iron which will yield better control and have it go longer distances.

I just don't care for stronger lofts because I don't like huge gaps in my shorter irons (where I spend a lot more time over the longer ones). I don't care to hit a 200 yard 6 iron. To each their own.

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

I don’t understand why people on this site get buttsore over lofts and if a 790 7 iron goes as far as their previous 6 iron; you’re able to use a shorter length iron which will yield better control and have it go longer distances.

I just don't care for stronger lofts because I don't like huge gaps in my shorter irons (where I spend a lot more time over the longer ones). I don't care to hit a 200 yard 6 iron. To each their own.

... To each their own of course, but I am always a little perplexed by these statements too. As someone that grew up playing "traditional" lofts and MB's for many years I really don't understand what difference a clubs designation makes, as long as it covers my gaps. I couldn't care less what my 46-48* club is called. D wedge, A wedge, G wedge or Pitching wedge makes no difference to the ball. I play the P790's and they are pretty much one club longer than traditional lofts and my scorecard has no box to check as to what I hit into a 175 yd par 3. Currently hitting a 7 iron but that shot used to be a 6 iron and again, my scorecard is ambivalent as to what is written on the club.

... I certainly do not play P790's because they are "longer". I play them because they look great at address, are super forgiving for a players iron and most importantly they just might be the most accurate irons I have ever played. Shot a 69 yesterday and although I have shot lower scores, I hit 17 greens with my 790's and my only miss was a 189 yd uphill shot I pulled a hair that landed on the side of the bunker and bounced in and shot a bogie free round. I only hit 6 fairways so that just shows how good the P790's are for me. If I am being completely honest, sure it bothered me that I had to re-learn yardages with modern irons because of their stronger lofts but that ship sailed years ago so now I only concern myself with having the proper gapping.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

I just feel like there would be a big gap between your 52* SM6 and 45* PW. You shoot better than I and obviously would know better... Feels like there would be a lot of knock down or light PW shots. Is that not the case?

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

I just feel like there would be a big gap between your 52* SM6 and 45* PW. You shoot better than I and obviously would know better... Feels like there would be a lot of knock down or light PW shots. Is that not the case?

... My 4 iron is standard loft but I bent my 5-pw 1* weak so my pw is 46*. I have flighted down my wedges for years now so it would not be much different than a "normal" 48* pw. Although there was a learning curve as the thin faced p790 pw is just a little hotter than a solid forged pw and controlling my pw distance did take a little time to dial in.

That is where some people are seeing the bigger gaps, including myself. What I ended up doing was changing my wedge setup. I went from 52,56,62 to the P790 AW @50°, and then 54,58 in the milled grind and could not be happier. I normally never cared for 'set' gap wedges but the P790 looks and plays great.

Contents of bag subject to change...frequently 

That is where some people are seeing the bigger gaps, including myself. What I ended up doing was changing my wedge setup. I went from 52,56,62 to the P790 AW @50°, and then 54,58 in the milled grind and could not be happier. I normally never cared for 'set' gap wedges but the P790 looks and plays great.

When I had the P790's, I did just that. Felt like it worked a ton better with the gapping.

I play the Milled Grind 50 and then my next wedge is the Milled Grind 56. I had been playing the P790 AW but am enjoying the extra heft of the Milled Grind for most situations. But no issues with gaps for me in either instance.

Taylormade Qi10 9*, GD AD-VF 6X
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade P790 4i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

Finally had a proper fit tonight for these after yet another disappointing round with my AP2’s with PXLZ

TM fitter put me into Modus 120Still, +1/2 inch and I was absolutely striping them with a beautiful but powerful high ball flight

Showed a 20yd improvement over my AP2 (yes I know that they’re a club strong) but most importantly the dispertion tightened right up and I could trust the ball flight

As a test we also put a PXLZ into the P790 and instantly the dispertion was all over the place and toe strikes came back (exactly the problem I’d had with my AP2) so all fingers are pointing to an incorrect fit originally

I’d been thinking of extending my AP2 by 1/2 an inch but I’m just thinking I’ll probably just go with the P790 like i was going to when I bought the AP2.......I just LOVE the look of the AP2

I just flipped through 100 pages of this thread and still not sure what to get in these. I play my Mizuno 900 HM/F combo set with the PXLZ5.5 short 1/2" custom fitting from my pro at 3 degrees flat. Love the ball flight as its mid-mid high penetrating ball flight off the 7 iron and my goto no wind 170yard club.

My question is what shafts do I get with no uncharge???

Option one- Modus 130S -1/2"...not sure if that weight is too much for me or if it helps keep the SW stockish?

Option two- PX5.5 1/4" to keep the SW proper D2 4-9 D3 PW-GW

Option three- Modus 120S -1/4" to keep the SW close to D2 4-9 D3 PW-GW

all with the GP Tour Wrap Black standard grip no wraps?

Help please...

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

I'm on the other end of the P790's... I went to a Taylormade demo day over the winter. Going into it, I was thinking I wanted to own the P790's.. while there I was hitting their demo 7 iron well, and it was very long for me, but while there I saw the P770 and had to test it out... wow.. what a nice iron.. so I beelined it home, found a nice new set of P770's and had them shafted up by the seller (great member by the way..!) In the mean time I ordered a P790 UDI , and 3 iron, both with Modus3 Tour 105s thinking that was a good option. Once I received them, I decided I did not want to try and hit the UDI as that loft was close to my 3 wood, so I sold it here. After two additional Taylormade demo days (for wedges then M3 driver) I decided to try my P770's (now in the bag) vs the P730's, surprised to find out how easy and well I hit the P730's... as a true GolfWRX member I now have P730's and I played my first round with them Sunday, and included my P790 3 and 4 irons (only two I have) and I was blown away by how well the P790 3 iron worked as a DI and of the deck. So going forward most likely will be gaming P790 3 & 4, P770 5 & 6, and 7-PW P730's or just swap out the P730 5-PW vs the P770 5-PW.. I know that the P790's with all the impressive reviews and everything work well for me in those two irons, although I don't really want a full set of them. And before anyone asks, all irons are standard stock lofts.

What surprised me the most is how close the P730's are in size really to the P770's.. only the P790's look bigger..

Haven't been following this thread since these were released and I tested the 7i. Boy, it was long. However, the gapping in the longer irons concerned me more - they appeared very close on paper. Now that these have been out for a while how have those of your gaming these found the gaps in the mid to long irons? Any issues or are they seriously long and well spaced throughout the set?

Don't have the patience to read through 100+ pages so apologies if this has been covered in detail.

Anyone have issues with the bounce on these? I am a picker and seem to catch some thin or heavy at times. Probably just my swing but I thought I would ask.

I'm not really the target market for P790's anyway but I took one look at them in the store and could practically feel my hands getting rattled by those soles digging in on any slightly fat contact.

Anyone have issues with the bounce on these? I am a picker and seem to catch some thin or heavy at times. Probably just my swing but I thought I would ask.

No issues and I am a natural picker. My swing is vertical, Trahan's PPGS so the most I ever do is like clip the grass blades. Played 2 rounds with my P790s, best thing since slice bread with ZERO issues with the bounce. I can sting it no issues either and it won't dig. No issues on rock hard tight lies either. Totally luv these P790s. Seriously.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

How are people finding the PW for distance?

On paper it’s only 1’ stronger than my AP2 PW (45’ vs 46’) but not sure how this will translate in real world?

Current set make up is AP2 PW 46’ then 52’ and 58’ SM6 and current yardage is 130 PW, 115-120 52’ and 100 in the 58’

Hit the 58’ hi-toe last night and really inpressed but not sure how to gap the bottom of my bag if I go P790

On paper it's only 1' stronger than my AP2 PW (45' vs 46') but not sure how this will translate in real world?

Current set make up is AP2 PW 46' then 52' and 58' SM6 and current yardage is 130 PW, 115-120 52' and 100 in the 58'

Hit the 58' hi-toe last night and really inpressed but not sure how to gap the bottom of my bag if I go P790

... I have my 790 pw bent to 46* and also play 52/58 with a slower swing speed than you, but hopefully this helps:

Pw 115 - 130

52* 100 - 115

58* 80 - 95

Today I played 9 holes and on both par 5s I reached the green in 2 just using my irons. Now I will admit I crushed my drives as I'm playing the M3 with an Attas Cool shaft so some credit /thanks goes to my M3 for hitting it 300 yds. plus. My 1st par 5 I had 190 yds and hit a 5 irons to within 12 ft. pin level and my 2nd par 5 I was 205 yds. and I got within 6 ft. of the pin with my 4 iron. Never before have I hit my long irons so well with any other brand. No I didn't make my eagle and I'm keeping my betinardi Lol but I'm loving my 790's as I have never had so many birdies chances in a round as I'm having now since switching to my P790s.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

On paper it's only 1' stronger than my AP2 PW (45' vs 46') but not sure how this will translate in real world?

Current set make up is AP2 PW 46' then 52' and 58' SM6 and current yardage is 130 PW, 115-120 52' and 100 in the 58'

Hit the 58' hi-toe last night and really inpressed but not sure how to gap the bottom of my bag if I go P790

If I go the P790 route Im doing this for wedge gapping

P790 PW 45, P790 GW 50, Hi Toe 58 2 degrees strong to 56, then Hi Toe 60 2 degrees weak to 62 (may never game the 62 but if I did thats how it would look)

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

On paper it’s only 1’ stronger than my AP2 PW (45’ vs 46’) but not sure how this will translate in real world?

Current set make up is AP2 PW 46’ then 52’ and 58’ SM6 and current yardage is 130 PW, 115-120 52’ and 100 in the 58’

Hit the 58’ hi-toe last night and really inpressed but not sure how to gap the bottom of my bag if I go P790

I have gone with the following for the lower end of my bag:

PW 45* 125 - 130 yards

AW 50* 115 - 120 yards

54* CBX wedge 100 - 110

58* CBX wedge 85-90 yards

I would also like to add my experience after a couple of rounds with the p970s as bad. The problem as others mentioned is the inconsistency. They trick you with -3 loft on the longer clubs. "Oh wow never hit the 7 iron so far." Then there is the trampoline adding another 10m. I consider myself a good iron player although with high ball flight as I don't really trap the ball well. Now this means I hit the ball center but slightly below the sweetspot. No trampoline there on the P970. From the tee on the other side I hit the spot and the ball trampolines +10 meters. I cant work with these distance differences. My swingspeed should give 130m with the E8, the P970 could be seen as E7 so OK should be 140m, the additional 10m is the trampoline. I don't have those from the fairway. So what do I do from the fairway? Will I trap the ball and hit it over the green or should I pray I hit it slightly off the trampoline? Its not working for me.

ea8f3dc1-e904-46c7-9e68-568b4162999e.jpg

Haven't been following this thread since these were released and I tested the 7i. Boy, it was long. However, the gapping in the longer irons concerned me more - they appeared very close on paper. Now that these have been out for a while how have those of your gaming these found the gaps in the mid to long irons? Any issues or are they seriously long and well spaced throughout the set?

Don't have the patience to read through 100+ pages so apologies if this has been covered in detail.

Gapping is fine...after I had lofts checked.

5i came in at 21.5* from TM...

o_O

To anyone playing the set I do suggest buying the AW unless you like having a bladed wedge around the greens. A friend of mine who has a 50 degree milled grind wedge put it against my AW. I saw a 5-10 yard difference with the P790 50 degree opposed to the milled grind. You could almost play a 50 790 along with a 52 then 56 and still have a good gap.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

I am a sweeper/picker. The sole on the P790 works awesome for me. No issues with the bounce.

Mizuno JPX-900 | Fujikura Speeder EVO II 661
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17*
Mizuno JPX-900 Hybrid 21*
Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

I've pretty much decided to play my P790 3 & 4 irons (the only P790's I have) with my P770 5-PW or P730 5-PW. I will have the P730 lofts adjusted to match the P770's and have the P790 4 iron adjusted to match my P770 4 iron. I'll use the P790 3 @ 19° and use that as my driving iron as it works well, no need to put a P790 UDI into the mix. My wedges are either my P770 AW or my Milled Grind 50, 54, and Hit-Toe 60.