Done with hybrids, bagging a 5 wood now

bogeypro

My mindset on hybrids/fairways is evolving to believe shaft length has a lot to do if you can/can't hit them well. I can hit all my shorter clubs better than my longer clubs, I think partly because you have more control or partially because when they're shorter, your top body is more over the ball/club head than a longer club. I've been able to hit hybrids and 3-/5-woods when I cut them down about 1-1.5 inches over standard. I just got a new Rogue hybrid and 7-wood and can't hit them (hit them decent enough for the fitter, but now that I got them home, over time, can't hit them)….but I haven't cut them down because I'm contemplating if I don't want to keep them, harder to sell 'new' clubs that have been cut down. If you got an old hybrid/fairway that you 'cant hit', try cutting it down and trying again.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been on the hunt for a fairway finder between 220 - 240 yards. I'm playing next month in the state Mid Am and the course has 7 par 4's under 400 yards with fairway bunkers placed where I hit driver.

I started with the M3 3 wood but it's too long (I'll save the story about having too much money and too hot of a wife for next time) then tried the 790 UDI but it was too unforgiving on mis hits.

Finally decided to try the M4 5 wood and we have a winner. Easy to hit and fits the distance criteria. First time I hit the Fujikura Atmos Red and am pretty happy with it for being a stock shaft.

Like I alluded to in my previous post....for those that 'can't hit a 3-wood, but can hit their 5-wood', it is a matter of 'length' (i.e., if you would cut the 3-wood down, would you be able to hit it...off the fairway?)

I've been on the hunt for a fairway finder between 220 - 240 yards. I'm playing next month in the state Mid Am and the course has 7 par 4's under 400 yards with fairway bunkers placed where I hit driver.

I started with the M3 3 wood but it's too long (I'll save the story about having too much money and too hot of a wife for next time) then tried the 790 UDI but it was too unforgiving on mis hits.

Finally decided to try the M4 5 wood and we have a winner. Easy to hit and fits the distance criteria. First time I hit the Fujikura Atmos Red and am pretty happy with it for being a stock shaft.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Right now I’m carrying a 3W (cranked down to 14), a 5W AND a 3hy and 4hy. It’s a little crowded at the top but they all serve a purpose and I was able to do this by going back to a traditional lofted PW and then replacing the 50/54 with just a 52 wedge.

I’m pretty comfortable with both fairways and hybrids. My home course that I play 90% of the time takes driver out of play on so many par 4s and even a par 5 with doglegs and strategically placed bunkers, ponds, etc. that I find myself needing a variety of longer options and each club has a purpose...

The strong 3W I use for a few tee shots and I’m very comfortable just hitting a controlled cut with it. I’ll also use it off the deck as long as it can run because I struggle to elevate it enough.

The 4hy (Apex) is one of my favorite clubs in the bag. It’s point and shoot accurate and I can REALLY hit it up in the air which is a struggle with me on longer irons. It’s a go-to 180-190 club and I can actually hit a baby fade with it which is difficult with hybrids.

Now the 5W and 3hy crowd the bag a bit...

The 5W I use on some shorter tee shots when I want a little more height than the 3W and want to hit a draw. It’s also my go-to long fairway club and just so easy to hit with the extra loft. It’s LONG and if you took roll out probably as long as my 3W but a much different shape shot.

The 3hy I added back because I just found that at the 200 yard range I needed just a tad extra than the 4hy but 5W was too much. I have a home par 3 that plays right at 200-205 plus the occcasional out of position spot where you find yourself 200 out.

I tend to curve the 3hy less than the 5W usually though I can hit both pretty straight. The 5W is higher and longer. The 3hy is more versatile out of poor lies and/or rough.

I know some/most benefit from extra wedges for scoring clubs but for now I prefer the 52/58 setup gives me all I need along with 5-PW and a lot of options at the top of the bag for whatever shot I want or need.

But in true GolfWRX fashion... it’s all subject to change anytime. Ha ha.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

Like I alluded to in my previous post....for those that 'can't hit a 3-wood, but can hit their 5-wood', it is a matter of 'length' (i.e., if you would cut the 3-wood down, would you be able to hit it...off the fairway?)

I meant distance wise the 3 wood was too long, it was almost as long as my driver.

I think its more a matter of swing mechanics, not just the length of the club. The poor mechanics show up more the longer the club gets. Many people struggle with fairway woods off the ground because they are either over the top too steep or they flip through impact and hit too low on the face and can't elevate the ball.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

My 3 wood recently became dead to me. I bought a new driver and shortened it by 1" (butt) and I think that has made the 3W seem too long and clearly jealous of all the praise the driver is getting lately. 3 woods are so immature. Anyway, trusty old Burner 5 wood has been the most reliable club in the bag for nearly 10 years. But all things must change, and I am actively seeking to replace both the 3W and the 5W with a longer 5W and longer hybrid (currently hit a Titleist 909 21 degree). That's let me pick up another spot in the bag for a wedge. For fun, will have the old 3W butt trimmed an inch and see what happens... Easy game.

I've struggled to find a hybrid that I have really liked since the original Baffler which I loved. I then bagged the Adams V3 but after a ton of use I needed to retire that club and have been struggling ever since to find one. Finally settled with the Epic because I love the Driver/FW I have. Thought about getting the 5 wood to go along with the driver/fw but I feel that the hybrid would better fit my bag.

I thought the original baffler was as good as they were going to get with the smaller woods in terms of utility woods back then. As a matter of fact, I was spoiled by the ease with which those utility woods worked and was only facing competition from regular fairways as far as general utility on the fairways. Looked a strange club but overall way good to use. I wish I could figure out where I ever put that club back then, I'd still be using it if I had it.

Shambles

I’m the exact opposite. I can’t hit a fairway wood to save my life, 3W, 5W, 7W but seems like almost any hybrid I pick up I can hit really solidly. For reference, I’m 29, 115 Driver SS and am a digger. Idk what it is about them but I hit hybrids so consistently. But different strokes for different folks! It’s not how, it’s how many!

just tossed a 20* 7w back in the bag, misses awesome

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Used to bag a R15 3 hybrid that I had cranked down to 17*. It was my solid 195-220 yrd club for long Par 3s. But I just wasn't comfortable enough with it to try to go for it in two on short Par 5s. When I got my new woods I pulled the trigger on an 18* 5-wood and haven't looked back. Can hit it soft about 200 and step on it up to 230ish. Nice high ball flight that can hold the green when I need it on longer approaches into Par 5s.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

Quit carrying a hybrid when I moved to an iron set with a stronger lofted 4 iron. I play 3w 5w and I absolutely adore my five wood, easily one of my most consistent clubs in the bag. I played a V-Steel for about a year before moving to an Aeroburner, honestly love both. I didn't mind my previous hybrid, Cobra Baffler TWS 20*, but I just wasn't near as consistent with it as I was with my 5 wood and could hit most shots of the same style as my hybrid by laying off slightly and lofting my 5 wood more. As for now, I don't know if i could ever drop my 5w.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

I've tried and tried hybrids from everyone for the last 5 years. I've come to one conclusion: I hate them.

I'm a sweeper. I love hitting a 3 wood. In frustration, I decided to hit my dad's old snake eyes 5 wood and loved it. So, I went and hit the matching 5 wood to my 3 wood. Simply amazing! It is consistent 225-230 for me.

I think hybrids are like the old El Camino from Chevy... not a great car and not a great truck. I feel this way with hybrids. i just couldn't hit them with any consistency. I can hit long irons well and I can hit fairways well, but hybrids were just a weird creature for me.

For the record, I'm not an old man. I'm 41 and carry a + handicap.

I know several pros carry the 5 wood. Anybody come full circle back to 5 woods or stick with long irons?

Sooner or later you'll end up with a 7-wood too.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I've struggled to find a hybrid that I have really liked since the original Baffler which I loved. I then bagged the Adams V3 but after a ton of use I needed to retire that club and have been struggling ever since to find one. Finally settled with the Epic because I love the Driver/FW I have. Thought about getting the 5 wood to go along with the driver/fw but I feel that the hybrid would better fit my bag.

I thought the original baffler was as good as they were going to get with the smaller woods in terms of utility woods back then. As a matter of fact, I was spoiled by the ease with which those utility woods worked and was only facing competition from regular fairways as far as general utility on the fairways. Looked a strange club but overall way good to use. I wish I could figure out where I ever put that club back then, I'd still be using it if I had it.

Shambles

I agree, I felt that was one of the best clubs I had ever had. I remember that I even had a steel shaft in the club because I didn't trust the graphite. I toyed getting an F7 or F8 but the guys at the store didn't think I needed the benefit of the rails. If I find one at a cheap price I may pick it up to give it a whirl.

Driver: Titleist TSI3 10 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65

Fairway Wood: Titliest TSI2 15 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65
Hybrid: Titleist TSI2 18 Deg - Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid 65
Irons: PXG Gen4 0311 P 4-GW - KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Vokey SM9, 54 & 60 - AMT Red 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond / Chrome Soft X

I had a Cleveland launcher 4 wood that had a steel shaft and it used to be the best club in my bag but for some reason switched to hybrid, which to be fair wasn't a bad a club. I'm now using a 3 wood and driving iron, but have thought about going back to a 3 wood, 5 wood combo. My cobra F7 3 wood baffler is now one of my favorite clubs to hit, would love to try the 5 wood

Fwiw, hybrid hooking haters .. try Cally Apex

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I love both hybrids and FWs. BUT it does depends on the hybrids. I’m trying to figure what to remove from the bag. A 5 wood or the 3 hybrid since adding an extra wedge.

My dilemma also, and find myself keeping both in the bag because I like them equally. The 62 wedge is there waiting until I figure which one to take out.

My 5 wood earned its place today. 230 over water to center of green. 2 putt birdie.

Awesome club.

That's awesome! The 917 woods seem really amazing - what shaft do you have in there? I've been in love with my 915H 18* for over 3 years, and have hit some incredible shots. I prefer it to a 5 wood because I can keep it lower especially in the wind, but different strokes for different folks.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD DS72 34.5"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

I’m very glad to hear that there are others out there going through the same.

Tried so many hybrids over the years, never had the hooking thing, but never found one that I’m really confident with. Some are too high, some low, and never had one that I’ve got on with.

I’ve always loved my 3 wood and very happy to hit that, so being a sweeper, I’ve just bought an r11 5 wood for peanuts on the bay as an experiment and awaiting delivery. I’m hoping it’ll be the solution, and the adjustability should help to get the yardage I want.

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

Just ditched the 5W after limited use over the years. Was fairly redundant to my 3W. I got a 2 hybrid and it is one of my favorite clubs. G400 and it is very anti-hook for me and much more versatile as a rescue club. I have hit a variety of different type shots with it. Sp many different ways to play this game.

Good thread here. I bag 2 titleist 818 hybrids, 19 & 21. I recently traded in my titleist 3 wood and was testing a 5 wood rogue I was clocking off the deck strong. I ended up going with a 4 wood rogue and was properly fittted with a great shaft. Never looked back. Test different brands. They’re all different in a lot of ways. I bag titleist driver but just couldn’t wrap my arms around they’re fairway woods but Callaway for me just clicked. The 5 wood and 19 hybrid were too close. 4 wood gave me just the right gap. Also, I use my hybrids all the time when I’m scrambling. If I push a drive to right (sometimes) and end up under a tree, the hybrid is a great club to sweep/punch out of into fairway and let it run up tight. Especially in rough or tight spots. I’ve also used hybrid to punch putt on the dance floor if my ball is just off the green. A lot more control choaking down and just run it up the green. Totally versitale club in so many ways. My 4 wood or a 5 wood I think would be a little too much for certain shots like that. I’d never get rid of the hybrids. I was having some weird voodoo trouble with my hybrids early season. Don’t want to talk about it. Too afraid it’ll come back to haunt me. Just grinded outnon range until I figured it out. Now it’s easy peasy. Good luck.