Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Whichever one is your weakest?

I've hit the driver terrific here lately. Probably out of my last four or five rounds I've had mid irons into the par fives on at least half of them. I've made about three birdies. My irons are not awful, but bad enough to miss the green. And then don't get up and down. I've been told several times lately after we finish the hole, "nice drive". Mean. And so true.

This goes back to several earlier threads where several people will tell you that the final and authoritative answer. I still maintain that it's different for each person

Driver is the most important club in the bag. You can break 80 with lousy putting, but rarely with lousy driving. Hitting 3 off the tee will get you nowhere and punching out of trees and you're scrambling for pars all day

Wedges.

They're called scoring clubs for a reason.

Not when you're hitting your 4th into a par 4

Quite often I can hit my driver 20 or 30 yards in just about any direction from my intended landing area and it doesn't cost me a stroke. Quite often I can hit my irons 5 to 15 yards from my intended target and it also doesn't cost me a stroke. If I miss by 3 inches left or right, hit it too hard or too soft, a putter always costs me a stroke. I'll go with putter.

Driver > irons > putter > wedges. See any of PSGs posts for the “why”.

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

I think it's different for different handicap levels.

At one point I would have said the putter but someone on here not too long ago claimed the irons (specifically the shorter ones, say 7-PW) were the most important clubs and I think I've come around to this way of thinking.

If your driver's horrible, you're not going to have a good/great round but if it's "just OK" you still can.

If your putter's horrible you're not going to have a good/great round either but if it's "just OK", you still can.

But if your irons are horrible you're going to have a poor day. If your proximity to the hole is poor but you're still hitting greens with your irons you'll still have a good day.

The truly great (for ME of course) rounds I've had were ones where I was hitting greens, and close,,,,,,,,,, and if you're hitting greens you're going to score. If you're hitting greens with your irons there's little chipping needed. If your hitting greens with your irons it takes the pressure off your putter.

And of course the the closer I got the irons to the hole, the better the round. Hit enough of them close enough and you'll not 3 putt at all and you probably will make a few.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I think it's different for different handicap levels.

At one point I would have said the putter but someone on here not too long ago claimed the irons (specifically the shorter ones, say 7-PW) were the most important clubs and I think I've come around to this way of thinking.

If your driver's horrible, you're not going to have a good/great round but if it's "just OK" you still can.

If your putter's horrible you're not going to have a good/great round either but if it's "just OK", you still can.

But if your irons are horrible you're going to have a poor day. If your proximity to the hole is poor but you're still hitting greens with your irons you'll still have a good day.

The truly great (for ME of course) rounds I've had were ones where I was hitting greens, and close,,,,,,,,,, and if you're hitting greens you're going to score. If you're hitting greens with your irons there's little chipping needed. If your hitting greens with your irons it takes the pressure off your putter.

And of course the the closer I got the irons to the hole, the better the round. Hit enough of them close enough and you'll not 3 putt at all and you probably will make a few.

Read this slowly guys...

I’d say it depends on what you consider a good day with driver. In other words, if driving it ob never crosses your mind, even your worse drives aren’t going to kill your score. If that’s you, your putter getting hit will be the difference between a great round and an average one.

For me, my driver can get really wild at time and cost me penalty stokes. My putting and chipping are alway about the same. I can occasionally have a round where my short game is light out and my score will make me look better than I am, but for the most part, my scores will depend on the quality of my driving.

I can't bomb it 350 yards, so on most holes but par 3's I'll drive it which means I'm hitting it a lot. So I would say the driver is probably the most important for me, then irons/ wedges. Putting has always been a problem, which you could tell easily just by looking at my putter collection. I rarely hit my driver at the range though. Most days I hit it straight and don't want to poke a sleeping bear.

For me, getting off the tee is important(getting it in play), but a putter we use more than any other club. So both for me. ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I think it is the driver, because it gets the game started. So is it drive, arrive, or putt?

It truly depends on the day, but I have to go with driver. A good driving day will set a player up to be closer to the green allowing for shorter irons or wedges which, theoretically, means that the player will hit it closer to the pin thereby making it easier to putt out.

If we're talking pure fun...I'll go driver. I don't know what it is about the mojo of bombing the big dog but there's just something really encouraging when you're getting everything out of that particularly club. The rest of the game seems much more within your grasp.

If we're talking score...I'll again go with driving. My irons, wedges and putter don't deviate as much as my driving does so if I drive it longer and straighter than normal, I'll probably post a better-than-average score.

If we're talking confidence...I'll go irons. If I'm flushing my irons you feel like you can trust your swing and that the practice you've put in is paying off.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Drive or Driver? You can still make birdies using a 3 wood . You can still hit a 9 for your wedge except for bunker carries. You might be able to putt with the flange of a club but overall , if it’s a club you got to take the putter.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

For me - it's driver because the difference between highs and lows of a good and bad day with irons/wedges/putter are MUCH less than the highs and lows with the driver.

On a bad driving day, I can literally be putting myself out of play or scrambling on every hole. By the time I recognize that I'm off that day and start pulling the driving iron or 4W, the damage has already been done. Whereas on a good day, I'm down the middle typically with a 30-50 yard advantage over my playing partners.

The simple fact that the driver can so severely hurt me on a bad day makes this an easy one. For those where a "bad day" is just a lot of missed fairways but still "in play", then I imagine their answer would very different here.

For me its driver. If i get off the t it sets the foundation and gives me confidence. Then putter. Make some putts, lag some longer ones up close and you got a good round going. Wedges are distant 3rd for me. Id even put my 8-pw ahead of traditional wedges. Hit a fairway, hit a green, give yourself a look at bird. Par at worst. Keeps the big numbers off the card.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

I understand where others are coming from with saying driver/drive is their most important as well as putting. Starting off in a good position and capitalizing it with minimal strokes on the green are essential. For me personally, it may also depend on the course. Wide open links I'm going with irons/wedges 9/10. If I'm mishitting my driver I'd aim to compensate. But that puts extra pressure on my irons/wedges to pick up the slack as I'm now probably anywhere between 30-60 yards off of where I needed to place it. Close approaches kind of negates below average putting. I don't necessarily need my putting to be my best aspect if I can stick it within 10-15 feet. Tight parkland course though I'm going with driver/drive 10/10. Scores skyrocket when I have to start playing punch shots under trees every hole. If I get it near my desired target off the tee, I can play my irons/wedges that I know my misses wouldn't be near as offline compared to a driver.

I think one also has to look at strokes gained from poor shots at each of the club levels OP designated. I am just beginning to explore strokes gained, so I don't quite understand it fully yet, but if a poor shot with one level of clubs consistently drops ones strokes gained compared to the other levels, then that should be your most important club level.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

It depends -- if you can't get off the tee, driver all day every day. I've had snap hooks bad enough I wanted to give up the game! I'd have easily signed up for a deal where I three jack every green but hit every fairway (and long, too, thank you).

Once driver comes around, you'll want to bend every iron over your knee if you can't get the ball on/near the green.

Once on the green often enough, you'l bemoan the putter and wish for a Crenshaw-like touch.

Once your putting comes around, your driver will probably abandon you and you'll be back thinking that's what the game is all about.

At the moment, I'm needing short game and putting practice, but I'm pretty much always in the "driver is most important" camp (along with Hogan, if I recall....).

I'm also the kind of guy that wants to hit the ball well and probably prize that over score.

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13) Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17) Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X Odyssey Sabertooth www.YourGolfHeadcovers.com