John Daly / PXG

mr cool

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay...here we go...I find it interesting that quite a few posters seem willing to give Big JD a break when it comes to his repeated transgressions, while TW is ripped, repeatedly on this same site for chasing skirts while married Before the posting attacks begin, note that I recognize that we have the right to like and dislike whom ever we please...okay 3-2-1...GO!

Vice versa for people ripping JD but giving TW a pass because of his record I guess. c'est la vie

Not too many people gave TW a pass regarding his DUI driving or his skirt chasing. But TW put a pretty brilliant career together with multiple major wins and dozens of tournament wins around the globe from 1996 through 2013. John Daly won 4 tournaments between 1991 and 1995, three more between 2001 and 2003, and has an impressive record of WDs and MCs aside from his multiple off-course "ventures".

Not to mention a foundation that helps many kids. There is no comparison between TW and JD. Bringing TW into this discussion is pure deflection.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Parsons probably just wanted someone on staff with a bigger waistline than himself.

Anyone remember that one time Daly said he doesn't drink water? I can't be a fan of someone dumb enough to drink coke in lieu of water. Idiocracy level dumb right there.

Because Coke has electrolytes and that's what plants crave!

:D

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

I know he had a huge contract from Callaway in the 90s that he lost because he lost his sobriety. Eli Callaway really seem to love JD and seemed to be saddened when Callaway had to end the relationship. I am not sure this was for $100 million but at the time it was a big contract. Demons to wrestle with. I do hope JD can over come his demons and I do hope he is successful. But then again this is JD we're talking about and there is a definite pattern.

He’s still got the pulling power some of us just wish we had jealousy is a wasted emotion let’s just talk about clubs and not knock him I’m a fan but probably get shot down for that

Even though you seem to be allergic to punctuation, I was able to understand what you meant and I agree with you.

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

He’s still got the pulling power some of us just wish we had jealousy is a wasted emotion let’s just talk about clubs and not knock him I’m a fan but probably get shot down for that

Not all of us are jealous. That's a pretty big assumption.

Okay...here we go...I find it interesting that quite a few posters seem willing to give Big JD a break when it comes to his repeated transgressions, while TW is ripped, repeatedly on this same site for chasing skirts while married Before the posting attacks begin, note that I recognize that we have the right to like and dislike whom ever we please...okay 3-2-1...GO!

Probably has a lot to do with how each one handled their "issues". Daly was upfront about his addictions and has said he can't overcome them. Tiger hides in a house and has a guy release statements about his drugs being mismanaged. Daly gets raked by his wife and he shows up with open wounds on his face to play the next day. Tiger gets whacked with a 9 iron and he somehow refuses to talk to law enforcement about driving his suv over a fire hydrant. Daly plays like carp and simply walks off, WD'ing like a child. Tiger makes up fantastical theatre about his glutes and whatnot. I think the difference is that Daly acknowledges his fans while Tiger generally wishes they all died in a fire while he watched from the clubhouse. One is a forgivable character, the other is not.

There is no comparison. Daly is a child. Tiger is a man. A flawed man perhaps, but one holds himself accountable for his actions. Every time I've heard Daly "apologize", it had a "yeah but it really isn't my fault" echo to it.

JD is not about demons. He‘s about decisions. It is his decision to drink alcohol, his decision to feed himself with burgers, fries and Diet Coke every day, his decision to be massively overweight. It‘s his decision to sell JD stuff out of his motorhome instead of practicing the game that made him famous. He decides to get as much mileage out of just being the talented, fat, lazy everyman‘s dude from Arkansas as he possibly can. As long as he gets paid to do this he won‘t change a thing. In Bob Parsons he found yet another guy who seems to support this, so why change? A change would be hard work for him,he does not seem to want that. Again, no demons at work, just Daly being Daly.

Not all of us are jealous. That's a pretty big assumption.

I really have a hard time believing anyone is jealous of John Daly.

Is John Daly even relevant to Golf anymore? He is the epitome of a wasted talent. Tremendous natural ability but lack of work ethic and too much love to get drunk wasted what should have been an incredible career. He's now left relegated to hawking his trinkets from the side of his mobile home and hoping for sponsor's exemptions. I would rather see someone working their butt off get benefits like a club contact instead of someone hanging on to their past while not working their butt off getting back to that plateau.

Nobody's perfect bud

Everyone has their own demons to deal with

You wouldn't know it by reading some of the posts on this forum. :-)

Is John Daly even relevant to Golf anymore? He is the epitome of a wasted talent. Tremendous natural ability but lack of work ethic and too much love to get drunk wasted what should have been an incredible career. He's now left relegated to hawking his trinkets from the side of his mobile home and hoping for sponsor's exemptions. I would rather see someone working their butt off get benefits like a club contact instead of someone hanging on to their past while not working their butt off getting back to that plateau.
That's kinda harsh. We are not all wired to be this shining example of humanity. He has life long issues.

And why is it harsh? Many would say the assessment is spot on accurate. Look at last week for example. He withdraws from the US Senior Open because he doesn't get a cart. He's invited to submit additional information to validate this request. Instead of validating this he simply quits and withdraws. Scott Verplank went through the necessary steps and had a cart. Why should JD be treated differently? Again, if he worked half as hard on his game than he does selling trinkets maybe his detractors would think differently.

How do you know this?

That's kinda harsh. We are not all wired to be this shining example of humanity. He has life long issues.

And why is it harsh? Many would say the assessment is spot on accurate. Look at last week for example. He withdraws from the US Senior Open because he doesn't get a cart. He's invited to submit additional information to validate this request. Instead of validating this he simply quits and withdraws. Scott Verplank went through the necessary steps and had a cart. Why should JD be treated differently? Again, if he worked half as hard on his game than he does selling trinkets maybe his detractors would think differently.

How do you know this?

By simply reading the many comments posted on this thread about JD and his choices. I am not alone to see how Daly has underachieved his prodigious talent because he likes beer and crap food more. Or that he doesn't put time into his game. I met Daly during Masters week in 2015 where he was content smoking his cigarette, drinking his Diet Coke and selling his product from his RV parked at the Hooters on Washington Road. I asked him, as a former PGA and British Open Champion why he wasn't at The National playing practice rounds and working on his game there. He said he didn't want to take a spot from someone. What a crock of BS. There were gaps of tee times with no activity and Daly HAS EARNED attending and participating in the Masters, pre tournament yet he doesn't take advantage of this earned opportunity. Heck, Jerry Pate still shows up and partakes and he isn't as good as John Daly today.

Why do you think there are many of us who just don't agree with Bob Parsons/PGX in this arrangement? Because JD doesn't work on his game anymore. He isn't hungry. He's a shell of his former self. Such a waste. Give an equipment contract to someone who is busting their Word not allowed to get to the big time. Give it to Matt Hansen because he's busting his butt to make it, even though TM is taking care of him. I agree with those who believe JD is living on what he did in the past because he is.

How do you know this?

By simply reading the many comments posted on this thread about JD and his choices. I am not alone to see how Daly has underachieved his prodigious talent because he likes beer and crap food more. Or that he doesn't put time into his game. I met Daly during Masters week in 2015 where he was content smoking his cigarette, drinking his Diet Coke and selling his product from his RV parked at the Hooters on Washington Road. I asked him, as a former PGA and British Open Champion why he wasn't at The National playing practice rounds and working on his game there. He said he didn't want to take a spot from someone. What a crock of BS. There were gaps of tee times with no activity and Daly HAS EARNED attending and participating in the Masters, pre tournament yet he doesn't take advantage of this earned opportunity. Heck, Jerry Pate still shows up and partakes and he isn't as good as John Daly today.

Why do you think there are many of us who just don't agree with Bob Parsons/PGX in this arrangement? Because JD doesn't work on his game anymore. He isn't hungry. He's a shell of his former self. Such a waste. Give an equipment contract to someone who is busting their Word not allowed to get to the big time. Give it to Matt Hansen because he's busting his butt to make it, even though TM is taking care of him. I agree with those who believe JD is living on what he did in the past because he is.

Reading a few posts on a golf forum that happen to agree with your "assessment" in no way is proof that "many would say..."

I can understand people having an opinion on JD (and PXG for that matter), what I don't get is the "judgment" attached to those opinions. As if those making those judgments see themselves as better, free from the foibles that define the rest of us.

Maybe JD did "underachieve", but that is no reason to send him to the electric chair. Not one of us can say with absolute certainty what JD was dealing with in his own mind, how he perceived things, how he viewed himself, and what he thought his role might be.

You want to condemn JD? Feel free, but at the same time I will feel compelled to come to his defense.

I'm not sending him to the electric chair. I had a discussion with him, face to face. He shows me no desire to practice or play. He was just interested in selling his wares when he could have been at Augusta National working with the best people. He chose apathy instead of hard work. I saw first hand. Have you met Daly? I was shocked with what I saw hence my position. Believe me I'm pulling for JD but he has to make an honest effort.

I'm not sending him to the electric chair. I had a discussion with him, face to face. He shows me no desire to practice or play. He was just interested in selling his wares when he could have been at Augusta National working with the best people. He chose apathy instead of hard work. I saw first hand. Have you met Daly? I was shocked with what I saw hence my position. Believe me I'm pulling for JD but he has to make an honest effort.

So based on a few minute conversation with JD you understand him completely? I'm impressed.

So based on a few minute conversation with JD you understand him completely? I'm impressed.

I'm not saying that. I also don't have to be condescending to someone who's opinion differs from mine. I don't feel the need to disparage a person who has a different opinion than what I believe. I can actually have a civil and respectful discussion with someone with a differentiating point of view AND I can listen another point of view. Well done Sean. Dale Carnegie was be proud of you.

I'm not saying that. I also don't have to be condescending to someone who's opinion differs from mine. I don't feel the need to disparage a person who has a different opinion than what I believe. I can actually have a civil and respectful discussion with someone with a differentiating point of view AND I can listen another point of view. Well done Sean. Dale Carnegie was be proud of you.

You're funny RD. You lambast JD (not very civil by the way), and feel that's alright, and if someone questions your opinion you take umbrage.

Wow, you're still putting words in people's mouths. Nice holier than thou attitude bud.

$$$$

Wow, you're still putting words in people's mouths. Nice holier than thou attitude bud.

He said he had a face to face with JD, and further stated, "He chose apathy instead of hard work. I saw first hand." Based on this, and what RD said in his previous posts, one can infer that he has an understanding of JD that the rest of us are not privy to.

Please tell me what words I put in his mouth.

You're funny RD. You lambast JD (not very civil by the way), and feel that's alright, and if someone questions your opinion you take umbrage.

I didn't lambast JD. I am critical of his waste of talent. However I fully support his choices. I even went so far on a post or two saying I'm pulling for him. I have a right to believe an equipment contract would be better suited for someone who is working their butt off, a Web.com player or a mini tour player who could use a bit of financial freedom. Are you now saying that opinion isn't valid? Are you now saying young tour pros don't deserve a contract or break? It sure sounds like it.

Nice tactic turning your failed argument into a personal attack on me. You cannot defend your position eloquently so turn on the attack. Nice move. Keep in mind I'm not attacking JD but I am holdings him accountable for his lack of desire in terms of warranting an equipment contract. Maybe it's just my opinion but it seems to be shared by others. Do you want to attack each one of these people now?

Also keep in mind he withdraws from the US Senior Open at he Broadmoor because he didn't submit additional information validating the use of a cart. Scott Verplank did and had a cart. How do I know? Because I was at the US Senior Open. So could have JD if he only took a small effort to validate his request but he didn't and now vows never to play in a USGA event. Sounds like a lack of effort to me.

He still has more majors than Sergio, DJ, Jason Day, DLIII, Freddie Couples and others...just sayin

So very true but nothing since 1995. Just shows how talented JD was. He still has inate talent and nobody is questioning his talent.

With regard to Garcia, DJ and Jason Day the jury is still out. DL III won on the PGA tour recently and Freddie still makes cuts at the Masters. While these don't equate to a major, these examples for DL III and Freddie do speak of their desire to put the hard work in and win.

He said he had a face to face with JD, and further stated, "He chose apathy instead of hard work. I saw first hand." Based on this, and what RD said in his previous posts, one can infer that he has an understanding of JD that the rest of us are not privy to.

Please tell me what words I put in his mouth.

You ever meet JD and have a conversation with him face to face? Inquiring minds want to know.