Rory, "If I didn’t win another Major for the rest of my career, nothing is going to change in my lif

bscinstnct

Haven't we been through this several times? Everyone wants to write Rory off and then he flips the script, last was the FedEx in '16.

One one hand people complain when someone doesn't have the killer mindset of whatever chosen legend who is used as an example, on the other they critique the life of that legend because it is usually left in shambles.

Not everyone is willing to destroy their life for professional success which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are people so surprised when athletes talk about having a life outside of sports?

Gotta remember that sports are a job to these people. And its a grinding job that takes away a good deal of your time. Of course they are going to have interests outside of their jobs, just like you or I would. And in many cases they are hopping across oceans or going to different countries to play in these events...for most people, their job entails hopping in the car for a few minutes. For these guys, it entails hopping on airplanes and having to set up lodging, transportation, etc.

As far as Rory goes, the guy is just shy of 30 years old and is set for life. I find it hilarious that people here are bashing him as if he's been some sort of weird underachiever - the performance of him at his workplace has netted him a net value of over $100 million. If that's "underachieving",,,I'd say the standards of those people are kinda out of whack, especially when most people in the USA have next to nothing in their bank accounts when they stop working or retire.

I think that just because good pro athletes make great salaries means we as a society put too much expectations on them in terms of what we expect them to do week in, week out.

That’s why Tiger was able to do the things that he did, he was 100% Golf all the time. He basically destroyed his body doing it though.

Tiger just didnt destroy his body. He destroyed his life too. He was just one of the lucky ones that was able to come back from it because he had the resources to do so.

Most "regular" people who got as bad as Tiger with regards to drugs and addiction usually wind up in jail for a long time or dead.

So that's why all the pressure is on Patrick Reed.

No... wait... Reed got married in 2012.

Jack and Arnie... won ALL their pro golf tournaments after getting married.

...and Jack would fly home during tourney to see his kids play sports.

I have been saying it...RM has soooo much money now it would be hard for any mortal to remain focused on practice. See Iverson for reference...

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Rory's been saying stuff like this for years. He's always been very clear that he doesn't want to be the next Tiger, do the work it'd take to be the next Tiger, or live the life that comes with being Tiger. When asked about his career goals he's always said he wants to be the best European to ever play the game, not the GOAT. Figure the best European is currently Faldo. Rory has another 15 or 20 years to win a Masters and another major or two.

He's 29 and has already achieved 80% of what he set out to do. I wonder how many of the people bashing him in this thread could say the same.

People wrote him off in 2013, then he had a 2014 better than his 2012. People wrote him off in 2016 and then he got hot for a few weeks and won the FedEx cup. People are writing him off again over some comments he made and a few months of poor putting. I'd have to double check the morning papers, but I'm pretty sure he's not dead yet. The dude is sitting on an A game that's better than anyone else's on the planet, when it shows up. I'd bet anything you want on that A game showing up here and there over the course of the next 15 or 20 years.

And I seriously worry about the work-life balance of some of the people in this thread if they're actually living their lives the way the expect Rory to live his. We bemoan the lack of honesty at the average athlete's presser. Yet here's a guy being honest--and consistently honest at that--and what's his reward? Gets skewered by a bunch of people almost certainly less successful in their chosen fields than Rory is in his.

Nice post, and I agree, Rory will blow out some fields again. But....

Of course he wanted to be the next Tiger. That whole generation, Rory, Spieth, Day, wanted to be Tiger.

https://www.telegrap...ournament-year/

“Yeah, I was already a big Tiger fan, by then,” McIlroy said. “I’d watched him win his three US Amateurs on TV and yes, I would already have had a Tiger headcover in my bag. Tiger was my idol and I remember it all vividly; the build-up and the early rounds, and thinking ‘oh no, he’s messed up the front nine’ (when Woods struggled to the turn in 40) and then him pulling effortlessly away.

“It really is very clear in my memory, especially the last round, which I could go through shot by shot now if I have to. The next morning,
all I wanted to do was hit balls and try to be my hero.”

But Tiger is just a cut above on a few levels. Plus he had the Michael Jordan total obsession with always winning.

I saw a segment on golf central about this last night. BC was shredding RM and said words to the effect that RM owed it to his talent to maximize it. I could not help but think of Amadeus and see BC doing his best Salieri impression cursing Mozart for all his gifts. I think it is easy for observers of great talent to believe that work ethic should compliment it. For me the grinders with talent are the exceptions that prove the rule that no one has it all. What makes RM's statements unusual is that he is candid enough to share his perspective. Unlike team sports golf is about the individual's own dreams and goals even if so many speak of their "team". RM may have already exceeded his and is ready to admit it.

I saw a segment on golf central about this last night. BC was shredding RM and said words to the effect that RM owed it to his talent to maximize it. I could not help but think of Amadeus and see BC doing his best Salieri impression cursing Mozart for all his gifts. I think it is easy for observers of great talent to believe that work ethic should compliment it. For me the grinders with talent are the exceptions that prove the rule that no one has it all. What makes RM's statements unusual is that he is candid enough to share his perspective. Unlike team sports golf is about the individual's own dreams and goals even if so many speak of their "team". RM may have already exceeded his and is ready to admit it.

So BC's excuse as a player was he didn't have gobs of talent to waste? From what I have seen he works harder at the GC planning his attacks than he ever worked as a player.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I don't have a problem with him saying he has other priorities in life other than golf. Se Ri Pak was interviewed some years ago and when asked what advice she had for the up and coming Korean golfers, she said she'd advise them to have other interests in life other than golf.

I can't understand him saying his goal coming into the year wasn't to win majors, but to put himself in a position to win them. That sounds less like a 29 year old elite level pro, and more like a long in the tooth also ran who's giving it a few more shots at glory before heading to the Champions Tour. At his talent level and track record, why even tee it up if you don't expect to win?

Rory's been saying stuff like this for years. He's always been very clear that he doesn't want to be the next Tiger, do the work it'd take to be the next Tiger, or live the life that comes with being Tiger. When asked about his career goals he's always said he wants to be the best European to ever play the game, not the GOAT. Figure the best European is currently Faldo. Rory has another 15 or 20 years to win a Masters and another major or two.

He's 29 and has already achieved 80% of what he set out to do. I wonder how many of the people bashing him in this thread could say the same.

People wrote him off in 2013, then he had a 2014 better than his 2012. People wrote him off in 2016 and then he got hot for a few weeks and won the FedEx cup. People are writing him off again over some comments he made and a few months of poor putting. I'd have to double check the morning papers, but I'm pretty sure he's not dead yet. The dude is sitting on an A game that's better than anyone else's on the planet, when it shows up. I'd bet anything you want on that A game showing up here and there over the course of the next 15 or 20 years.

And I seriously worry about the work-life balance of some of the people in this thread if they're actually living their lives the way the expect Rory to live his. We bemoan the lack of honesty at the average athlete's presser. Yet here's a guy being honest--and consistently honest at that--and what's his reward? Gets skewered by a bunch of people almost certainly less successful in their chosen fields than Rory is in his.

Of course he wanted to be the next Tiger. That whole generation, Rory, Spieth, Day, wanted to be Tiger.

“Yeah, I was already a big Tiger fan, by then,” McIlroy said. “I’d watched him win his three US Amateurs on TV and yes, I would already have had a Tiger headcover in my bag. Tiger was my idol and I remember it all vividly; the build-up and the early rounds, and thinking ‘oh no, he’s messed up the front nine’ (when Woods struggled to the turn in 40) and then him pulling effortlessly away.

“It really is very clear in my memory, especially the last round, which I could go through shot by shot now if I have to. The next morning,

But Tiger is just a cut above on a few levels. Plus he had the Michael Jordan total obsession with always winning.

Idolising Tiger and wanting to emulate Tiger are two completely different things, any golfer under the age of 30 pretty much idolised him, he was the man

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

Funny how everyone wanted Tiger to find happiness outside of golf and become a well-adjusted individual after behavior that would have landed us mortals in bankruptcy/jail. Rory seemingly is doing so, and that's not good enough for you people. The fact that you guys act like he owes you anything at all is laughable.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

Idolising Tiger and wanting to emulate Tiger are two completely different things, any golfer under the age of 30 pretty much idolised him, he was the man

The wanted to be Tiger but it's like Ronnie Coleman said,

everybody-wants-to-be-a-bodybuilder-but-dontnobody-want-to-7545301.png

I can certainly understand Rory saying and feeling this way IF he were about to retire..

I do not get it if you intend to compete.... I cant understand entering a competition with no intention of competing ??Why play? just to collect the $ ??? That irritates me ... there are players who play for the cash sure.. the also rans make a good living.. BUT the greats are supposed to want to beat you , especially after they have his level coin.. You think tiger has ever teed it up for 15th place checks??? F-no! Dissapointing to see that much talent wasted

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I always respected Rory for his candor and honesty. Lately, I can’t tell if he believes what he is saying or is trying to talk himself into believing it.

Loser mentality.

Golf has made him an ultra millionaire. He should have learned to keep his mouth shut.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Gotta look at the bigger picture here...

...if a few great years are all it takes to become satisfied, what does that spell for the future of golf?

We're entering a new era. It'll become corporate America--hyper competitive and unstable at the top with a number of careerists comprising the mid-ranks.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I think some of the posts here are being misunderstood - I don’t think anyone has an issue with Rory wanting to have a life outside of golf, spend time with family, etc., but to come out and say the things he has, in the manner in which he says them, is disappointing. Wanting to win and be great doesn’t have to be independent from wanting a life outside of golf. I genuinely appreciate his honesty with the media, but there are some things you just don’t need to vocalize even if that’s the way you truly think. He’s already making excuses for his performance in tournaments that haven’t even been played yet. Just seems like a very weak state to be in mentally.

I always respected Rory for his candor and honesty. Lately, I can’t tell if he believes what he is saying or is trying to talk himself into believing it.

Loser mentality.

Golf has made him an ultra millionaire. He should have learned to keep his mouth shut.

Guys like Rory can't keep their mouths shut. They want to invite the world into their thoughts and feelings.

He wants everyone to know he's a winner NO MATTER WHAT. It's borderline narcissism.

I can certainly understand Rory saying and feeling this way IF he were about to retire..

I do not get it if you intend to compete.... I cant understand entering a competition with no intention of competing ??Why play? just to collect the $ ??? That irritates me ... there are players who play for the cash sure.. the also rans make a good living.. BUT the greats are supposed to want to beat you , especially after they have his level coin.. You think tiger has ever teed it up for 15th place checks??? F-no! Dissapointing to see that much talent wasted

Not to pick on your post Blade but I think a lot of you are reading into his comments a whole lot more than he said. Where does he say he does not intend to compete? He says he wants to get into contention and see how he fares. He never says he does not care. he says there are things more important in life than golf.

“My goal this year wasn’t to win Majors,” he confesses. “It was just to give myself a chance and to put myself in positions to see how I’d fare.”

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I agreed with Jack N. when he said to Ricky Fowler thinking behind a major is different than other tournaments. If you're not myopic about your intent to appropriately prepare and win each major you're leaving it up to chance. Not good, so not likely. :beach:

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I love the people here critiquing a mans opinion when they themselves can hardly relate to the situation he’s in. Rory is a tremendous golfing talent, is probably the best player tee to green I have ever seen, but he truly is a better person. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Rory several times, more often recently now that his dads been offered a membership, but every time has been a wonderful experience and if he can lay down at night and be satisfied with where he is and where he’s going then good on him, that’s far more than a lot of people can say.

The other thing I find funny is that when a player opens up he hears about and if he says nothing all the time he’s thought of as cold and no fun. How can it be both ways?!?

Loser mentality.

Guys like Rory can't keep their mouths shut. They want to invite the world into their thoughts and feelings.

He wants everyone to know he's a winner NO MATTER WHAT. It's borderline narcissism.

The narcissism can be attributed instead to people like you that insist that everyone on the Tour behaves to your standards.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

I just don't get questions that 'reporters' ask anymore. It's not even phishing for a scandal any more... It's simply, bash him for not answering the other way

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

I hope he wins more majors. More than Speith when all is said and done.

All putters get cold. Rory is great tee to green. Just ask Speith.

Me too. I really enjoy watching him play.

But he sounds to me as someone who has become reconciled to the fact that he doesn't putt well enough to play at the very highest level.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Loser mentality.

The narcissism can be attributed instead to people like you that insist that everyone on the Tour behaves to your standards.

I hold no one "on the tour" to any sort of standard, behavioral or otherwise.

A lot can change in a year....

https://www.theguard...reer-fulfilment

“I’d love to give you an answer and say my life is already fulfilled with everything that’s happened and everything that’s going to happen in the future, by starting a family and all that,” McIlroy said. “But if I didn’t have a Green Jacket there would be a tiny piece that would just be missing. It really would be. I wouldn’t be fulfilled if I didn’t get it."

Could be the Jeanine syndrome ; )

spinaltap14.jpg

I think some of the posts here are being misunderstood - I don’t think anyone has an issue with Rory wanting to have a life outside of golf, spend time with family, etc., but to come out and say the things he has, in the manner in which he says them, is disappointing. Wanting to win and be great doesn’t have to be independent from wanting a life outside of golf. I genuinely appreciate his honesty with the media, but there are some things you just don’t need to vocalize even if that’s the way you truly think. He’s already making excuses for his performance in tournaments that haven’t even been played yet. Just seems like a very weak state to be in mentally.

Well said.

As much as people don't want to admit it, most people get bored at every job. The people who keep improving and working on things are the ones who improve.

There are probably three types on people on tour (relatively):

1.Those who got everything out of there game and had some break

2. Those with insane skills who are the "names"

3. Those with the skills, who maybe didnt get the breaks, or don't put in the time to required to be the best in the world

What I'm getting at is, I'm sure Rory knows what he needs to do to dominant and be #1. But I'm not sure he's willing to give up everything would be required to do that. At the end of day, he's set for life, and the tour is really a "job" for him. I mean, he's made ~$40mn just on the PGA tour, it might be hard for him to work on hit wedges for putts for hours a day, everyday.

It's all about what people want. If you think about it, there are guys who have walked away from the tour to do other things (Camilio, Anthony Kim) and Phil Mickelson has mentioned some times there are guys he knows who could play the tour, but don't want the lifestyle.

Unfortunately, it's never as easy as "knowing what it takes to be number one" and then going out and doing it -- even with Rory's talent. There are simply too many good players for it to be that easy for anyone. In fact, I daresay that Rory DID try his very, very best for a while to STAY number one, and it didn't keep him there. And then he got frustrated.

Bottom line: Even if Rory DID decide to "re-dedicate" himself to the pursuit of number 1, there's no guarantee he'll get there.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"