Rory, "If I didn’t win another Major for the rest of my career, nothing is going to change in my lif

bscinstnct

I love the people here critiquing a mans opinion when they themselves can hardly relate to the situation he’s in. Rory is a tremendous golfing talent, is probably the best player tee to green I have ever seen, but he truly is a better person. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Rory several times, more often recently now that his dads been offered a membership, but every time has been a wonderful experience and if he can lay down at night and be satisfied with where he is and where he’s going then good on him, that’s far more than a lot of people can say.

The other thing I find funny is that when a player opens up he hears about and if he says nothing all the time he’s thought of as cold and no fun. How can it be both ways?!?

Simple: Because the people complaining when he opens up are (usually) not the same people who complain when he says nothing. :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't get questions that 'reporters' ask anymore. It's not even phishing for a scandal any more... It's simply, bash him for not answering the other way

I don't know how many reporters would "bash" him if he answered:

"You know, I've been in a funk, and it's time for me to get back into it again. Really get into it. I don't like my putting, so I'm going to fix it. And I don't like my crappy attitude, so I'm going to fix that. Next question." :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

As much as people don't want to admit it, most people get bored at every job. The people who keep improving and working on things are the ones who improve.

There are probably three types on people on tour (relatively):

1.Those who got everything out of there game and had some break

2. Those with insane skills who are the "names"

3. Those with the skills, who maybe didnt get the breaks, or don't put in the time to required to be the best in the world

What I'm getting at is, I'm sure Rory knows what he needs to do to dominant and be #1. But I'm not sure he's willing to give up everything would be required to do that. At the end of day, he's set for life, and the tour is really a "job" for him. I mean, he's made ~$40mn just on the PGA tour, it might be hard for him to work on hit wedges for putts for hours a day, everyday.

It's all about what people want. If you think about it, there are guys who have walked away from the tour to do other things (Camilio, Anthony Kim) and Phil Mickelson has mentioned some times there are guys he knows who could play the tour, but don't want the lifestyle.

Unfortunately, it's never as easy as "knowing what it takes to be number one" and then going out and doing it -- even with Rory's talent. There are simply too many good players for it to be that easy for anyone. In fact, I daresay that Rory DID try his very, very best for a while to STAY number one, and it didn't keep him there. And then he got frustrated.

Bottom line: Even if Rory DID decide to "re-dedicate" himself to the pursuit of number 1, there's no guarantee he'll get there.

That is exactly how I see it as well. His game is not as good/competitive and its not because all of a sudden his priorities changed.

I can certainly understand Rory saying and feeling this way IF he were about to retire..

I do not get it if you intend to compete.... I cant understand entering a competition with no intention of competing ??Why play? just to collect the $ ??? That irritates me ... there are players who play for the cash sure.. the also rans make a good living.. BUT the greats are supposed to want to beat you , especially after they have his level coin.. You think tiger has ever teed it up for 15th place checks??? F-no! Dissapointing to see that much talent wasted

Not to pick on your post Blade but I think a lot of you are reading into his comments a whole lot more than he said. Where does he say he does not intend to compete? He says he wants to get into contention and see how he fares. He never says he does not care. he says there are things more important in life than golf.

“My goal this year wasn’t to win Majors,” he confesses. “It was just to give myself a chance and to put myself in positions to see how I’d fare.”

im just going off his actions for that .. It just seems that he doesnt try unless every single thing goes his way..I mean to miss the cut in the Irish open hes sponsoring 2 years running is pretty poor.. it wasnt as if the cut was -9.... He will hit a spurt like Bay Hill when every single thing falls for him and all of the sudden you see some want to .... But it dies as soon as he gets to the next round.. You just dont see any try on his face unless its easy. The exact opposite is Spieth... He talks to himself so much people are annoyed . you get 18 holes of TRY from him every single round

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I can certainly understand Rory saying and feeling this way IF he were about to retire..

I do not get it if you intend to compete.... I cant understand entering a competition with no intention of competing ??Why play? just to collect the $ ??? That irritates me ... there are players who play for the cash sure.. the also rans make a good living.. BUT the greats are supposed to want to beat you , especially after they have his level coin.. You think tiger has ever teed it up for 15th place checks??? F-no! Dissapointing to see that much talent wasted

Not to pick on your post Blade but I think a lot of you are reading into his comments a whole lot more than he said. Where does he say he does not intend to compete? He says he wants to get into contention and see how he fares. He never says he does not care. he says there are things more important in life than golf.

“My goal this year wasn’t to win Majors,” he confesses. “It was just to give myself a chance and to put myself in positions to see how I’d fare.”

im just going off his actions for that .. It just seems that he doesnt try unless every single thing goes his way..I mean to miss the cut in the Irish open hes sponsoring 2 years running is pretty poor.. it wasnt as if the cut was -9.... He will hit a spurt like Bay Hill when every single thing falls for him and all of the sudden you see some want to .... But it dies as soon as he gets to the next round.. You just dont see any try on his face unless its easy. The exact opposite is Spieth... He talks to himself so much people are annoyed . you get 18 holes of TRY from him every single round

i have to agree with you here. Spieth and Rory are 2 different ends of the spectrums. Spieth wears his heart on his sleeve sure but you always have this feeling no matter how bad hes hitting it he never thinks hes out of it. Hes won and contended a bunch without his best stuff. Rory as you said gets very pouty if everything is not going his way and basically mails it in. You can dig up quotes form 2011-2012-2013 where he constantly says i dont want to have fame like tiger... It was a dumb concern to have because he was never going to be as big as tiger not even a third of that. hes not even as big as Phil for that matter. He was always saying these things but people werent paying attention because he was still winning majors. now that its been 4 years since his last one the question about his desires and motivations will be justifiably asked.Its his life and he'll do as he pleases but i have a feeling he'll look back when he reaches 40 and think how much he left on the table. His last caddie had it right when looked at him and said "snap out of it. Youre Rory freakin Mcilroy" shortly after that he canned him... says alot about him and his character

Rory said, just after he turned pro that the Ryder Cup was "an exhibition" and he had no real interest in it. Hypocrite.

I first saw him in person on the 17th tee at Carnoustie in 2007. Just before he turned pro I believe, or just after, not sure. The hunger in his eyes was real, his swing was fluid and he played care free.

Give him multiple majors and a 10M fedex cup win (along with a gazillion in sponsorship) and the hunger is gone. Gone before he's even turned 30.

Shame. I don't see him beating Faldo's record. Burnt out.

Except Spieth for all his trying hasn't really performed well recently either. Pro sports are hard. Players can't win all the time. Granted we can all see how much talent Rory has and that's what is agonizing, but it's not as easy as try and you should get. Look at Adam Scott, then man with one of the most textbook swings ever. He's at 79. Rory is at 8 OWGR only two spots below Spieth. Rory seemed like a special talent until all these new younger talented guys came on the scene and made things even harder. Rory has had a better 2018 than Spieth. Has Spieth given up? I think Rory is just tired of people expecting him to get back to 2014 levels. Golf is always that way right? You go into a round expecting to shoot your best round ever and usually you don't. Go in there even keel like Rory is presenting himself, and you shoot better scores. I think he is just taking a different approach to get back the fun and love of the game.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Uh spieth just won a major less than a year ago. Did we just forget that ?

Rory tried harder when he was fat and chubby. He also had better touch around the greens. Signed that giant Nike contract and went through a 180 with his appearance and transformation and attitude.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Rory said, just after he turned pro that the Ryder Cup was "an exhibition" and he had no real interest in it. Hypocrite.

I first saw him in person on the 17th tee at Carnoustie in 2007. Just before he turned pro I believe, or just after, not sure. The hunger in his eyes was real, his swing was fluid and he played care free.

Give him multiple majors and a 10M fedex cup win (along with a gazillion in sponsorship) and the hunger is gone. Gone before he's even turned 30.

Shame. I don't see him beating Faldo's record. Burnt out.

He was 19 - 20 years of age and never played in one when he made that comment, cant judge people from what they said at that age surely to god, he was still a boy with little experience, we all grow up

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

I think Rory is being frank about how he feels. But I also think this is a form of psychology. As most know here, sometimes it’s more effective to take things in stride then to push for it. Desperation leads nowhere. I suspect this may be an attitude to which he has given some thought. I also suspect he’ll win more majors.

Rory tried harder when he was fat and chubby. He also had better touch around the greens. Signed that giant Nike contract and went through a 180 with his appearance and transformation and attitude.

He won half his majors at Nike...also won lots of good tournaments since. The 'lack of intensity' doesn't match up with his performances when winning WGCs, Irish Open and Tour Championship in the past few years.

Regarding majors since 2014, he hasn't won any but everybody goes on about DJ's attitude and he only has 1. Does Koepka work harder than those two because he's won two majors in two years? No, just happened to play well on the right weeks.

He won half his majors at Nike...also won lots of good tournaments since. The 'lack of intensity' doesn't match up with his performances when winning WGCs, Irish Open and Tour Championship in the past few years.

Regarding majors since 2014, he hasn't won any but everybody goes on about DJ's attitude and he only has 1. Does Koepka work harder than those two because he's won two majors in two years? No, just happened to play well on the right weeks.

he signed it in 2013, won them in 2014. The money didn't sink in till a bit afterwards? He also went through an obvious image transformation AFTER signing that deal. Nike doesn't sign ugly people.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

This is why Jack always amazed me. He basically had the same attitude that golf is not his same priority, he stated he likes fishing and tennis more, or hunting etc. he spent most of his time on personal business and family.

BUT when he showed up to play there were no excuses and he often played well or won. Jack had something special figured out, no one else has really pulled it off. Phil has come close, but to be dominant most people need 100% focus. It’s hard for most to turn it on and off.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

This is why Jack always amazed me. He basically had the same attitude that golf is not his same priority, he stated he likes fishing and tennis more, or hunting etc. he spent most of his time on personal business and family.

BUT when he showed up to play there were no excuses and he often played well or won. Jack had something special figured out, no one else has really pulled it off. Phil has come close, but to be dominant most people need 100% focus. It’s hard for most to turn it on and off.

Jack was special.

Rory is run of the mill. Pardon me, Rors is run of the mill.

his pga career only had 2 years in which he really dominated(2012 and 2014). Are we expecting too much from him?

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Jack was special.

Rors was special for about 2 years, now hes fat and happy.

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Jack was special.

If he is fat and happy and run of the mill....and his only two good years were a while back...how in the world is he #8 in the world?

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Except Spieth for all his trying hasn't really performed well recently either. Pro sports are hard. Players can't win all the time. Granted we can all see how much talent Rory has and that's what is agonizing, but it's not as easy as try and you should get. Look at Adam Scott, then man with one of the most textbook swings ever. He's at 79. Rory is at 8 OWGR only two spots below Spieth. Rory seemed like a special talent until all these new younger talented guys came on the scene and made things even harder. Rory has had a better 2018 than Spieth. Has Spieth given up? I think Rory is just tired of people expecting him to get back to 2014 levels. Golf is always that way right? You go into a round expecting to shoot your best round ever and usually you don't. Go in there even keel like Rory is presenting himself, and you shoot better scores. I think he is just taking a different approach to get back the fun and love of the game.

Give me a guy with no quit over a whiner who quits daily anyway.

I don’t hate Rory. I just hate that he can’t see what he’s wasting. You can have a fun home life and win at golf. It’s been done. He just is afraid to commit and fail. So what ? Fail on purpose. ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

As has been pointed out he's 8th in the world. Its easy to say you can have it both ways. Maybe he thinks getting to #1 would take beating balls 10 hours a day and spending his nights on a putting green. Maybe he doesn't want to do that....maybe being 8th means practicing a little less and doing things he enjoys.

Its his choice. Again people do this in pretty much every single field. CEO's do it, athletes do it. They can do it because of how well they are paid sure, but the consumers (us) have made that the case.

How many tech guys have sold their companies to google or Facebook and are chilling right now. Do they owe us more ideas?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Jack was special.

If he is fat and happy and run of the mill....and his only two good years were a while back...how in the world is he #8 in the world?

The world ranking system is garbage. Look back at the history of world rankings. Jumbo Osaki as a case in point.

Rors is a talent but his play "as of late" shows me 14-15 in the world.

Really its just a lot of projecting.... "if I had that talent....." But would you really? Your a gazillionaire by the time you're 30, you might not get the twinge to say "this is a stupid thing to go spend 20% more time to get 2% better?"

How many of us really grinded away at a spreadsheet to make it 2% better?

Also, yes, hard work and dedication can be nurtured, but some of it is nature as well. Same as a beautiful golf swing or putting stroke; some people just have hardwork in their DNA. They like to work, they like to practice, that's part of who they are.

As has been pointed out he's 8th in the world. Its easy to say you can have it both ways. Maybe he thinks getting to #1 would take beating balls 10 hours a day and spending his nights on a putting green. Maybe he doesn't want to do that....maybe being 8th means practicing a little less and doing things he enjoys.

Its his choice. Again people do this in pretty much every single field. CEO's do it, athletes do it. They can do it because of how well they are paid sure, but the consumers (us) have made that the case.

How many tech guys have sold their companies to google or Facebook and are chilling right now. Do they owe us more ideas?

This. If he left golf right now I’d say more power to him. Being born with talent is not a choice nor is there any duty associated with it. If I were him and I felt like going fishing or whatever I would. It’s not like entertainers owe us jack.

This. If he left golf right now I'd say more power to him. Being born with talent is not a choice nor is there any duty associated with it. If I were him and I felt like going fishing or whatever I would. It's not like entertainers owe us jack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zurqzobl99c

The real conversation here should be why does Rory feel compelled to make silly statements such as this? It gives you a pretty good insight to what is going on in his psyche.

I for one say he is done winning majors, unless he gets incredibly hot with the putter for one weekend.

I just don't think Rory wants to be the king of the mountain, and all that goes with it. He is trying to justify it, both publicly and internally.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Cuz top 14-15 on the planet just doesnt cut it. Y'all are too damn funny.

Depends on who is the judge and jury.

Would it have been acceptable for Tiger to be ranked 15 at his age? Nope.

This is really Rory fans upset because of all the potential that is wasted on the lack of "want to"

It's his prerogative, but for many it's sad to think about what could have been.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

He told us this years ago. Some of you guys are so hung up on his talent and have such high expectations for him when all he wants to do is travel and play soccer.

The spieth bandwagon has plenty to jump on and I suggest everyone who wants to see greatness jump on it.

I'm still on the Tiger Woods camp and can't give up on the big cat just yet.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

At least Rory admits it, without stating it directly, what I've said for years. Endorsements are worth far more than winning regularly. He's already made a fortune many times over through endorsements alone and will continue to do so. Another major win financially is a pimple on a boars butt compared to endorsement deals aka mailbox money.