1st Time Masters Winner Looking for Tips

billalburger

I was lucky enough after many years of trying to have been selected in the lottery and now I have 2 tickets to Thursdays round. I have read at of threads about getting there early where to sit, park in the free parking lot, ship your merch home etc.. Just so happens that I am leaving that Saturday for my Honeymoon so my then wife will be coming with me. Looking for a few suggestion's. Buying merchandise is the first thing I am doing. I read somewhere a guy got there at 6:30am and was able to get into the shop around 7 before the gates opened for the course. So I will try and do his, my question is do both the North and South Merchandise areas open early or does one rather then the other? Also is one better then the other? I think there is a parking lot right by the South shop?? Trying to find out where to stay Wednesday night is also on my agenda. I was looking at Columbia, SC as it is about 1 hour drive.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really only aware of the main merchandise tent...er, palace...that is located adjacent to the 1st hole after walking through the main patron entrance. You are going to flip when you see this place, because it's brand new, huge, constantly stocked and well organized.

I'm pretty sure no matter when you decide to go, it'll be really busy. You'll snake your way on the inside in what seems to be the world's longest rope line while being treated to a presentation of Masters history and Did You Knows.

I have stayed in both Columbia, SC and Athens, GA. My friend actually ended up staying somewhere in Augusta at like an EconoLodge or something, he had a 10 minute drive to the course.

Columbia is a good choice as it's an easy drive in. Get there early, go to the big pro shop, and have all your goods shipped home. Don't carry them around all day. Immediately get some coffee and a chicken biscuit. Then a beer or three. Walk the course. Go to some holes you don't see often on TV. Find more food. Get one of everything. Get more beer. Find a good spot to sit and enjoy.

i went last year on wednesday and stayed at the red roof inn about 10 minute drive to the course early morning. There are two places to buy merchandise but only one has everything you would want. The north hall is the main place to buy while the south hall gets it stock from the north and has a small amount of stuff to buy. Both offer a good selection of items to purchase and both are staffed with tons of people willing and able to help you purchase what you need. However, i believe shipping is only near the north hall but i could be wrong. We paid $130 i believe for our room tuesday night and it was great not to have to deal with driving in earlier that morning.

I got 2 tix to Saturday for the first time. Eagerly following this thread. I have always heard these things:

- Buy a chair and place it early.

- Buy all the merch and ship it home.

- Soak it all in because who knows when you'll be back.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Confusing title for one, you should post this in Tour Talk for two. ��

How many people clicked on this page, expecting to see news of Danny Willett on the range, asking for swing tips?

:rofl:

{Credit to Danny for playing well in the Irish Open.}

I thought it was about Mike Weir...

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I got 2 tix to Saturday for the first time. Eagerly following this thread. I have always heard these things:

- Buy a chair and place it early.

- Buy all the merch and ship it home.

- Soak it all in because who knows when you'll be back.

All correct! Merchandise tent first and immediately when you get in, chair placement, walk and enjoy.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

i walked the course 1 to 18, preferred to see it in "sequence" and a great walk down in to amen corner.

i will never understand the people who put that experience on hold to line up to buy merchandise. i stopped by in the evening and had the store to myself.

They run out of things. Especially later in the week. Went Sunday last year and the hats I wanted were sold out. Said they were sold out since Wednesday

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

Columbia is a good choice as it's an easy drive in. Get there early, go to the big pro shop, and have all your goods shipped home. Don't carry them around all day. Immediately get some coffee and a chicken biscuit. Then a beer or three. Walk the course. Go to some holes you don't see often on TV. Find more food. Get one of everything. Get more beer. Find a good spot to sit and enjoy.

Needs more beer.

i walked the course 1 to 18, preferred to see it in "sequence" and a great walk down in to amen corner.

i will never understand the people who put that experience on hold to line up to buy merchandise. i stopped by in the evening and had the store to myself.

Yes, I'm failing to understand the "Merchandise first and then ship it" crowd. What's the logic here? Why can't you just wait until you're ready to leave? I got Monday's Practice Round, so I should be pretty safe on nothing selling out that I might be interested in, no?

For those saying "get a chair and a good spot and sit".. Unless one is out of shape and can't walk a hilly 18, why?

They run out of things. Especially later in the week. Went Sunday last year and the hats I wanted were sold out. Said they were sold out since Wednesday

right, i've heard they do, but over the course of a day it can't be too significant. i could understand it if you're a regular, but if this is your first trip to augusta, i'd be out on the course in the morning light rather than standing in line to buy a hat.

Yes, I'm failing to understand the "Merchandise first and then ship it" crowd. What's the logic here? Why can't you just wait until you're ready to leave? I got Monday's Practice Round, so I should be pretty safe on nothing selling out that I might be interested in, no?

For those saying "get a chair and a good spot and sit".. Unless one is out of shape and can't walk a hilly 18, why?

i can understand the chair. i didn't get one, but i can understand the logic of placing one at a good vantage point around amen corner so you relax at certain times. the grandstands can get pretty packed.

Cherish every moment your on first visit to ANGC. You will never forget the moment you first see the course. Have a great time (like that needs to be said :D )!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I was lucky enough after many years of trying to have been selected in the lottery and now I have 2 tickets to Thursdays round. I have read at of threads about getting there early where to sit, park in the free parking lot, ship your merch home etc.. Just so happens that I am leaving that Saturday for my Honeymoon so my then wife will be coming with me. Looking for a few suggestion's. Buying merchandise is the first thing I am doing. I read somewhere a guy got there at 6:30am and was able to get into the shop around 7 before the gates opened for the course. So I will try and do his, my question is do both the North and South Merchandise areas open early or does one rather then the other? Also is one better then the other? I think there is a parking lot right by the South shop?? Trying to find out where to stay Wednesday night is also on my agenda. I was looking at Columbia, SC as it is about 1 hour drive.

I'll do the best I can to describe this, but I don't know how to post a Google maps screenshot, so it may be tough. If you pull up Augusta National in satellite view on Google Maps, you will see an entrance at the western corner of the property. There is a paved area that leads to a large building, which is the entrance gate. Immediately before that large building is a smaller building, which is a small merchandise area. It is not nearly as big as the main merchandise area, but still has a lot of stuff.

When I last attended a few years ago, you could go into that small merchandise area without going through the entrance gate. We got there early, bought a bunch of stuff and just walked it back to the car and through it in the trunk.

I hope what I am describing makes sense.

We won tickets to Tuesday practice round and I am stoked just to be able to get on the grounds to be honest. I am going to load up on merch and bring a good camera.

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

If anyone would be willing to grab me a ball marker from the masters I would be eternally grateful. a Co-worker got to go last year and he brought one back for me. I subsequently lost it out on the course (stupid idiot) and it has saddened my ever since!

PM me if you'd be willing and sorry for the hijacking of the thread

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

I did all of it - merchandise tent first, placed my chair, and walked sequential 1-18 the way the course intended and was easily able to do all of it in one day.

First, if you don't have a chair you won't be able to place one without buying one. The only place to buy a chair is the merchandise tent. So you might as well go in first, avoid the lines if you can, avoid any potential sellout of the gear you want, and get this out of the way early. We only waited about 20 minutes to get into the tent when we went.

Placing a chair is not necessary if you prefer to simply walk the entire day, but part of the allure of ANGC and the Masters is simply soaking it all in. And if it's hot, you aren't going to want to be walking the entire day. It's nice to have a "home base" that you can return to, relax, and enjoy some of the action if you want. Some of my most memorable times were sitting there with my father and friends talking about whatever we wanted to talk about. When you are always on the move, you don't really have that luxury.

The bottom line is there isn't really a "right" or a "wrong" way to do the Masters, it's whatever you happen to prefer yourself and could be different for everyone - but certainly enjoy the ride!

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

Because the bigger names draw big crowds, even on practice round days. If you've been to any golf tournament and tried to follow a popular group you know that you rarely get up close because you're constantly moving with the herd and jockeying for position by tees, greens, etc. I was luck to be there last year when the Tiger/Phil/Freddy/Pieters group was playing. We got a decent spot by 11 green/12 tee and got to see them finish 11, play 12 and then come around 13. Early in the morning we had placed our chairs near 16, so we hustled back to our chairs and then got to see them approach 15 green, putt out, hit tee shots on 16, skip balls on 16, and putt out 16.

We've taken the approach of seeing some of the course, going back to our seats for awhile, going to see other parts of the course, go back and watch from our chairs again - rinse, repeat. Having your chairs front row, in a cool spot is a really great experience.

I did all of it - merchandise tent first, placed my chair, and walked sequential 1-18 the way the course intended and was easily able to do all of it in one day.

First, if you don't have a chair you won't be able to place one without buying one. The only place to buy a chair is the merchandise tent. So you might as well go in first, avoid the lines if you can, avoid any potential sellout of the gear you want, and get this out of the way early. We only waited about 20 minutes to get into the tent when we went.

Placing a chair is not necessary if you prefer to simply walk the entire day, but part of the allure of ANGC and the Masters is simply soaking it all in. And if it's hot, you aren't going to want to be walking the entire day. It's nice to have a "home base" that you can return to, relax, and enjoy some of the action if you want. Some of my most memorable times were sitting there with my father and friends talking about whatever we wanted to talk about. When you are always on the move, you don't really have that luxury.

The bottom line is there isn't really a "right" or a "wrong" way to do the Masters, it's whatever you happen to prefer yourself and could be different for everyone - but certainly enjoy the ride!

Exactly! But as you said, having the "home base" in a cool location is a nice way to break up the day. Grab cold beverage (My favorite is the stand 12) and a peach ice cream sandwich and go take a rest in your chair.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Save your beverage cups. "Clear" is for non-alcoholic drinks and Green for beer. I have a dozen cups from my trip.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I'll do the best I can to describe this, but I don't know how to post a Google maps screenshot, so it may be tough. If you pull up Augusta National in satellite view on Google Maps, you will see an entrance at the western corner of the property. There is a paved area that leads to a large building, which is the entrance gate. Immediately before that large building is a smaller building, which is a small merchandise area. It is not nearly as big as the main merchandise area, but still has a lot of stuff.

When I last attended a few years ago, you could go into that small merchandise area without going through the entrance gate. We got there early, bought a bunch of stuff and just walked it back to the car and through it in the trunk.

I hope what I am describing makes sense.

Yes, it does, I remember seeing that. Except this particular merchandise area I believe only has a small selection of shirts and hats, maybe a few other trinkets as well.

But since you've been there (I believe), was there more than just that?