2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Being happy with that you have.

Solidstrike

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm at the stage now where I'm happy, scoring well, loving the feel of my irons. Last part of the bag figured out was changing hybrid out for a 3 iron.

I test more or less every driver, 3 wood and an iron or two each year when they come out. Nothing at the moment has come close to my current set up. Should save a small fortune now too!

I recently bought my Mizuno JPX 900 HM and I can say that I am happy with having these irons, my distance, my trajectory and my ball flight is all better that what I had before in my Srixon Z 565. It is allowing me the perform the best with my golf skill...oh yes I am HAPPY...

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max, 10.5 deg,  UST Helium 5F3, Regula

5-Wood - Cobra LTDx Max,  16.5 deg, UST Helium 5F3, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 3 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 4 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 5 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Irons - PXG 0311 XP Gen 3 - 5 thru PW, AW, Mistubishi MMT 70, Regular

Wedges - PXG 0311 Forged, 54* and 58*

Putter - Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 putter, 34* shaft

Balls - Callaway Chrome Soft X balls

I’m currently on the “slippery slide” everyone talks about. The good news is that it has finally worn my out. I’ve been playing golf for 4 years and I have a feeling that most go down this slide who are equipment enthusiasts. My weakness is buying/trying irons sets. No desire to change anything else.

At the moment I have or will be receiving the following sets in the next couple days. 3 of the 4 will be on the BST in the near future.

1) Srixon 565/765 with DG AMT X100 Softstepped 1x

Didn’t expect to like these as much as I do.

2) Callaway X-Forged 2018 with Project X 5.5

Played these for several months and liked the consistency.

3) Callaway CF-16 with Project X 5.5

Won an auction on the bay that I didn’t think I would win. Owned CF-16’s before and they were OK. Should have never bid....

4) 2018 Callaway MB Raw with X100 SoftStepped 1x

Bought the heads new and put DG 120 S400’s in them. Played for 4 months. Had a moment of weakness and sold them 2 weeks ago. The person who bought them switched the shafts and Listed them for sale and I bought them back.

I have no idea how I am going to narrow these down to one set. I only get to play 3-4 times a month and I’m not patent enough to keep all 4 while I test them during a month.

So how do you know you have found the ONE (iron set)?

Thanks in advance for sharing what your experience has been finding the set that has kept you happy.

Quick follow up. Sold the CF-16’s, Srixons currently listed on the BST, X-Forged arrived tomorrow, and I played 18 today with the Raw MB’s and tied my low round score with an 80. So glad I bought them back. The X-Forged maybe on the BST sooner than expected.....Love is in the air.

Im just happy with what I have and do pretty well most of the time but hate it when I'm playing poorly but it's not the clubs fault. What makes me laugh is when people do play poorly and they go right out and trade for something else as those days are long gone for me.

I don't mean to stereotype people as Ive watch people hack away and I would say to myself if I ever got that bad I wouldn't even golf, shame of me as long as they are having fun. I'm a bit on the crazy side maybe as I even talk to my clubs and they have a way of responding back to me by allowing me to pull off a great shot when needed. We all should be happy with what we have and happy doing what we are doing. Now I just wish I could be happier at work then I would have it made.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

The only way to elude the club ho mentality is to get off the forums and just go play golf. Speaking from experience of being on audio forums I was constantly shelling out thousands for the latest greatest amplifier or speakers only to find I didn't really enjoy the music anymore just had the latest equipment to brag about on the forums. I was never more satisfied with my stereo equipment than when I cancelled all my audio magazine subscriptions and left the forums. With golf, I've been playing the same irons since the late 90's and have a 10 year old driver. I've come to realize that "having the latest & greatest" ain't gonna shave another 5 strokes off my game and I am quite happy with what i have.

Referring to sets by their numbered iron model, I don't have a lot of sets, even though I still have every one that I ever owned.

I do have a lot of golf clubs that are not numbered irons, however.

Not only do I go back to woods made of wood--either laminated maple or solid persimmon---

I go back to woods sold in sets of three or four.

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

The only way to elude the club ho mentality is to get off the forums and just go play golf. Speaking from experience of being on audio forums I was constantly shelling out thousands for the latest greatest amplifier or speakers only to find I didn't really enjoy the music anymore just had the latest equipment to brag about on the forums. I was never more satisfied with my stereo equipment than when I cancelled all my audio magazine subscriptions and left the forums. With golf, I've been playing the same irons since the late 90's and have a 10 year old driver. I've come to realize that "having the latest & greatest" ain't gonna shave another 5 strokes off my game and I am quite happy with what i have.

So true. The audiophile world might be the worst (best?) example of equipment-focused-thinking gone off the rails. That world is absolutely bonkers. At least with golf, you have your scores staring you right in the face whether or not you choose to look at them.

MAN that's tough! I really like to tinker and I should just call it a day. Playing good golf lately. I've found myself buying some forged blades for fun and I know they arent gonna make me score better.

Current bag:

Ping gmax 9

Callaway Bertha 1.5 mini 14*

Ping g5 5 wood

Ping g400 4-pw

Ping Glide 2.0 stealth 50/54/58

Scotty Newport 2 gss

3 and 5 wood are only things I should think about changing, but I cant help myself ?

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

I’m happy with the clubs I have but I really like trying new clubs. I’ve never hit a vokey wedge before, or a blade, so eventually I’ll buy a cheap one on eBay to see what I think and if I like it I might buy a set. Only thing is I really like the wedges that I have now but I still have that itch to try a vokey

I have noticed over the last few years.....

When I'm playing lots I spend my spare time thinking about course management items. "Would I be better off playing a Driving iron off of #10 tee instead of the 3 wood" type of stuff.

When I'm not playing lots I think about equipment and changing it.

So I just try and play more now to avoid that. However winters get long here in MN. LOL

The only way to elude the club ho mentality is to get off the forums and just go play golf. Speaking from experience of being on audio forums I was constantly shelling out thousands for the latest greatest amplifier or speakers only to find I didn't really enjoy the music anymore just had the latest equipment to brag about on the forums.

This is exactly right and all hobbies have that side to them. The biggest thing is simply recognizing that it's there so you become aware when you begin to stray from the proper path.

. I just try and play more now to avoid that.

And that's the answer. You just have to focus on the activity itself. It's hard because we often associate the acquisition of new equipment with big gains when in reality that's not the case.

People also greatly under-value how much they're affected by the "status" they perceive things to bring. How much is it worth to have the coolest piece of gear on the forum?

Being a guitarist myself, I've seen it a million times. I've seen tons of bedroom guitar heroes throwing up YouTube videos about gear optimized for live performance. A lot of those guys could spend less money and get something more functional... but what would the forum say!?

And sadly, the world has made it such that access to cool equipment and the ability to entertain with skill are often not found together, haha.

Similarly, there are a lot of golfers who shell out relatively large chunks of money on equipment for the simple fact that they are unwilling to be seen carrying anything more than a few years old. I'd imagine that drives a lot of the high-end equipment sales amongst avid players, particularly with things like drivers, shafts and putters.

To some degree, it's fine. Just have fun with it. I get that. But, at the same time, it definitely gets out of hand with some guys when they're not willing to admit it's just for show. If a guy owns a $3k putter and he resists admitting it's merely a status symbol...dude, that's when it becomes sad.

From my perspective, the goal is just to avoid becoming pathetic--which usually just means you have to avoid lying. Spend a little extra. Splurge here and there. Just don't lie about what you're doing.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I just golfed with a friend who plays 25 year old ping eye 2's and beat up snake eyes woods. I don't think he miss hit more than one or two shots. He was under par most of the round in really tough conditions. He's had the same clubs since I've known him. He's the anti-golfwrxer. The last time he got anything new is grips, which I put on for him about 10 years ago!

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

I’ve all but stopped BST and ho-ing. Being I’m 64 years, playing non-forged irons and wedges that last forever, I only tweak with shaft changes occasionally. If a wood cracks or something then I’ll replace it.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

i have several different sets of clubs, some are relatively new, others are over 20 years old, and I enjoy the challenge of playing them all. Making the swing adjustments for different types of clubs is part of the fun. For me. YMMV.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

It's probably not as hard as some think it is, but I've failed miserably at it. And my logic is never 'this club doesn't work, but this one will' it's usually just to try something new out. I know for certain my game would probably be better off if I didn't make as many changes, but sometimes the allure of 'new and shiny' overrides logic!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I used to buy and sell clubs with the best of them. Not so much anymore. Also, it's nice not having a garage full of long cardboard boxes.

Not tempted by the Rogue Driver? Everyone knows the Epic is so yesterday. :)

And a few months from now, so will the Rogue. :-)

But Sean, the Rogue is longer and more forgiving.....and the FWs will get you out of that Epic Jail......and the Rogue

irons? We're talking 200 yard baby butter cut 7 irons with those hollow bodied faced cup beauties. Hank Haney is

upset with you.

I used to buy and sell clubs with the best of them. Not so much anymore. Also, it's nice not having a garage full of long cardboard boxes.

Not tempted by the Rogue Driver? Everyone knows the Epic is so yesterday. :)

And a few months from now, so will the Rogue. :-)

But Sean, the Rogue is longer and more forgiving.....and the FWs will get you out of that Epic Jail......and the Rogue

irons? We're talking 200 yard baby butter cut 7 irons with those hollow bodied faced cup beauties. Hank Haney is

upset with you.

Lol! Same song different day. Given the hype around new club releases I should be hitting 400 yard drives by now, along with the 200 yard butter cut 7-irons. I COULD get an iron set that now features a 21º 5-iron, 27º 7-iron, and 41º PW. Dang right I'd be longer!

I tend to be very happy with everything and then suddenly get a wild hare to make some massive change. The most recent example was a great deal on BioCell+ iron heads leading me to trade my ForgedTec irons for F8 fairway woods, and selling my F7 fairways to cover some other expenses. Luckily for the last couple of years, these seemingly random on-a-whim major changes have been contained to my backup bag, but this time it crept into the gamers. I usually have no illusions that they'll make any notable improvements on my game, it's usually just an idea that pops into my head and 1/25 times I actually pull the trigger.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

Very happy with what I have!! I won't bore you with all the models but will say my bag is essentially all Yonex except my SW, LW and putter...Miura.

3 year old Yonex driver

20 year old Yonex 3 & 5 fairway woods,

20 year old Yonex 3 and 4 irons,

3 year old Yonex irons (5-PW)

7 year old Miura wedges

6 year old Miura putter

Why wouldn't I be happy? I have shot my age or better 6 times this year and have lowered my 'cap from 4.2 to 2.7

I have always maintained that there is only one real prestige in golf..... LOW SCORES!! Switching and swapping clubs does not help with that......... Get a set-up that you like and go play golf. :taunt:

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

The new Ping I210's are SCREAMING at me! :(

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Very happy with what I have!! I won't bore you with all the models but will say my bag is essentially all Yonex except my SW, LW and putter...Miura.

3 year old Yonex driver

20 year old Yonex 3 & 5 fairway woods,

20 year old Yonex 3 and 4 irons,

3 year old Yonex irons (5-PW)

7 year old Miura wedges

6 year old Miura putter

Why wouldn't I be happy? I have shot my age or better 6 times this year and have lowered my 'cap from 4.2 to 2.7

I have always maintained that there is only one real prestige in golf..... LOW SCORES!! Switching and swapping clubs does not help with that......... Get a set-up that you like and go play golf. :taunt:

It's amazing what a good swing will produce. :-)