Rounds with a mixed bag

For those that play with a mix of modern, semi-modern, and classic clubs, describe your round, share your thoughts & experience, what you have learned, etc.

Going out today, July 4th, 2018 at sunrise with the following:

Louisville Smart Persimmon Driver

Callaway 7 wood

Callaway 9 wood

First Flight III persimmon 5W

7 hy

Northwestern Thunder-stix PW

Ping iWedge SW

Spalding High Efficiency Putter

Callaway Chromesoft, Wilson Zip, & other assorted GB.

Nike stand bag

Playing the Glacial Nine @ Quit Qui Oc in Elkhart Lake, WI. Should tee off right at 5:00 AM. Lubricant= coffee as we speak.

My joints feel pretty good and I have that strap dohickey for my arm. I'm awaiting my new clubs, but have resolved to always carry a vintage club as a tribute to the good old days. Will post results later. Should be fun!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Age = 58 Been playing since 12

Handicap = 25 - 30? Don’t really know as I’ve never had one officially.

Swing Speed = 65 - 72 depends on club

Health: fighting arthritis & a few other things

I’ve been playing vintage exclusively since last year, but this year I am feeling it more. My mixed bag today produced average results. Shot a 49. As per usual, it could have been so much better.

The drive on one was in the rough and I pitched forward to just past a bunker at 80 yds. Pitched on to the green, then putted for an opening 6. +2 to start. +4 after 2 when I flew well past the green and did not get up and down. Par for #3. +6 after #4. It's a dogleg left & I hit the perfect 7w fade to cut the corner and the center of the fairway. 90 yd pitch to a grass bunker, ending up on the other side of the green just off. 2 putted.

+7 after 5 which featured a beautiful bunker shot out of wet sand from the upslope. Starting to fall in love with the Ping iWedge.

+9 after botching #6 par 3. Back and forth until it was in. Finally hit the fairway on #7, but then had tall grass trouble. Hit a perfect 7hy to about 12 feet from 124 yds. Putted to go +11.

#8 saw another tee shot into a bunker from 116, then a sand shot to a downslope that was thankfully stopped by an anthill. Putted to go +13.

Hit a perfect drive (for me) on #9. Nice fade, center of the fairway and long. Left with a 90 yard wedge that was botched, and putted to +14. 49 total, which was not bad for a mis-mosh set.

The weather was 67 deg at the start, with no breeze an 80% humidity. Kind of buggy. I teed off at 5:00 am on the dot, and finished at 6:40. Not bad. I'll probably use this mixed bag on Friday (birthday nine with my son) and untill my new clubs arrive. Happy Independence Day to all!

Tomorrow morning our son and I have an 8:00 tee time at the Glacial Nine. It will be our last round together for quite awhile. It's my birthday and I couldn't ask for a better gift. Even talked him into a little wager - loser buys lunch!

I'll have a mixed bag with a Callaway Big Bertha Driver & Steelhead 7 wood, a 5 hy, a 7hy, Thunder-Stix PW, Ping iWedge SW, & Spalding putter.

He will be carrying a TM 584 XD driver, a Callaway Hawkeye 5+ wood, Callaway 9 wood, Wilson 1200 7-9 CB, generic wedges & putter.

Last outing he crushed the driver on quite a few holes so I'm adopting a conservative srategery and will try to be the 150yd pitch and putt guy. My short game should more than make up for any advantage he thinks he has. I'm going to enjoy lunch very much.

I'll post pics & results after the round.

Cheers!

Early AM substitution: Since I have played hickory on my last two birthdays, I'm continuing the tradition just to make it fair.

My mixed bag will have a H & B Powerbilt Citation 2 wood, a Wilson Gene Sarazen 4 wood, 3 Wilson hickories, a MacGregor jigger, plus 4 more hickories to make 10 clubs in all. I'll probably go with a Wilson Duo and/ or zip. Should be fun. Old guy using 100 year old clubs vs young guy using modern clubs on a modern course.

Update: Of course I won the bet. But what do father's do? Buy lunch anyway. I told him I'd rather he owe it too me for the rest of his life.

It was fun. We were tied thru 5 holes, and then he lost his swing. Too many people around on a holiday week / weekend, too many distractions, too rusty. Plus, my conservative strategery worked amazingly well.

Rather than go for the green I split up my approach shots into a 70 / 30 ratio to minimize directional errors. Trying to get closer to the hole on pitching, I wanted to leave about a 30 yd shot. Then I use a 7 iron or pw, depending on the terrain.

Better to be on in three and close than on in two and farther away or off in two anyway. That strategery has proven to be effective for the last two rounds, and I'm going to keep at it to see if it lowers my three putt percentage. So far it has.

I also adopted a putter grip to chips that are 0 - 15 ft off the green. That has my chips getting much closer and resulted in more one putts. Saturday I had 4 pars in a row, and a par right after a double - both things I have not accomplished in 40 years or so of golf!

So I am crediting the surge in better scoring to this new strategery, since I used different clubs for both rounds. Today I'm going out with a Sunday bag of vintage clubs & will continue with this method. Its a small data set, I know, but I may have stumbled on to something.

The kid is on his way back to Florida, so I'll be playing a mixed vintage bag with my old golf partner around 11:00.

Clubs: Wilson K-28 3 wood, Ram 4 wood, Wilson Billy Casper 7 iron, K-28 8 iron, Thunder-Stix PW, & Spalding High Efficiency putter. Ball is Wilson Zip or Callaway Chromesoft (soccerball red).

Playing the former home course. Hopefully its not tooooo slooooow, & the tourists have all gone home.

Glad to hear that you got a chance to play with your son while he was visiting. We are just back from the west coast where we were visiting #2 son and DIL along with #1 son who decided to join us last minute.

The boys went out for a round of golf on Tuesday last at a private club that opens to the public in the afternoons. It's a very nice course and they enjoyed their game playing with a course employee and an out-of-towner. It has been over two years now since I've had the opportunity to play with both of them. I was asked to join, but thought better of it as I didn't want to risk a problem with a cross-country flight on tap. Considering I've only played 9 holes this year an 18 hole round on a regulation course was going to be a bridge too far.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Glad to hear that you got a chance to play with your son while he was visiting. We are just back from the west coast where we were visiting #2 son and DIL along with #1 son who decided to join us last minute.

The boys went out for a round of golf on Tuesday last at a private club that opens to the public in the afternoons. It's a very nice course and they enjoyed their game playing with a course employee and an out-of-towner. It has been over two years now since I've had the opportunity to play with both of them. I was asked to join, but thought better of it as I didn't want to risk a problem with a cross-country flight on tap. Considering I've only played 9 holes this year an 18 hole round on a regulation course was going to be a bridge too far.

Thats too bad. I hope you feel better soon. It was nice playing with him, but yeah, way too long in between opportunities. Maybe someday we will live nearer to one another. Gotta get his mom used to the idea of living in Florida first.

Piggy backing on this lovely thread....

Most rounds I play would fit this category. I almost always use some form of Ram Tour Grind irons, at least one Ram wedge above that, with a modern driver, 3w, and 2h, the latter being my 1 iron replacement. Oh, and my Cleveland Huntington Beach putter, which is another in the long line of Anser-a-likes that are everywhere.

My reason for posting today is my round yesterday. I'd put my TW282 Golden Rams in the bag, and tossed in my 56* Troon Grind SW as my sole wedge above the TW282 PW. I started less than ideally with the Troon Grind, forgetting myself a bit and stubbing my first chip shot with it. Have to remember there's no real bounce there anymore, LOL. From there, things settled into shape.

Ironically, starting on the 5th hole, I found myself in four bunkers over a six hole stretch. Trial by fire. Was wondering, even worried, how the narrow, low bounce, sole would work in the sand, plus my using more loft than I'd become accustomed to in the sand. Turns out, I need not have worried, I was able to get the distance down pretty well, got up and down the first three before missing the putt on the fourth. 75% on sand saves is ok, right? ;)

It's likely not for everyone, but I found having that narrow low bounce sole allowed me to open it up like crazy, in order to vary distance on the bunker shots. Didn't have any trouble digging in the sand, or any skulled shots. Really quite lovely.

Oh, and 43.5" driver length is suiting me down to the core of my being. I'm finally hitting more fairways, and haven't given up distance. Not really with the theme of the thread, but when have I let that stop me? LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Oh, and 43.5" driver length is suiting me down to the core of my being. I'm finally hitting more fairways, and haven't given up distance. Not really with the theme of the thread, but when have I let that stop me? LOL

Nice round. Interesting mix of clubs. Just wondering about driver length, and if I should try to shorten mine. I assume you measure from the heel to the end of the shaft? I have two Wilson drivers and one H&B that might be likely candidates to experiment with. One has 4300 stamped on the bottom. The four wood has 4250. Not sure what that means. I assumed the 4300 was driver length, but now I am not so sure. Any thoughts?

Edit: I'll bet my graphite shafted drivers could use shortening tho.... I heard Criso on the club face makes your ball go farther... :to_become_senile:

Nice round. Interesting mix of clubs. Just wondering about driver length, and if I should try to shorten mine. I assume you measure from the heel to the end of the shaft? I have two Wilson drivers and one H&B that might be likely candidates to experiment with. One has 4300 stamped on the bottom. The four wood has 4250. Not sure what that means. I assumed the 4300 was driver length, but now I am not so sure. Any thoughts?

Edit: I'll bet my graphite shafted drivers could use shortening tho.... I heard Criso on the club face makes your ball go farther... :to_become_senile:

It is the length of the club, you are correct.

D. Yes, sole the club and measure from floor to the butt end of shaft. I would surmise the 4300 is already ~ 43.5". A popular playing length for a "standard" wood driver with steel shaft. Then typically .5" increments shorter from that point. Shortening them from this point may not yield much of a difference in playability.

Intention is to not speak for NRJ, but have seen his posts on this subject in other threads. Believe what he is referring to is shortening a modernist D with graphite shaft. Most new(er) drivers have shafts installed that are entirely to long for us mere mortal golfers. (In the never ending chase for distance. I digress.) That by shortening the shaft, one can gain control and achieve improved accuracy off the tee. Without sacrificing much in absolute distance. Actually may improve upon distance by achieving improved consistency of center face ball strikes. Tom Wishon is an advocate of no one should play a modern driver longer than 44.5". Plus, believe NRJ has a preference for shorter and heavier in his experimental D's. He'll liking be by at some point to clarify.

But this is more than simply cutting off the butt end to length. Taking a modern D playing at 45.75" and shortening to 44.5 will reduce the swing weight by ~ 7.5 points. All other factors remaining constant. With the potential for "losing the head" during the swing due to the reduction in SW. If one wants to shorten and keep something of the same SW feel, weight will have to be added to the head.

I play my modern D at 45", D2 SW and choke down by .5". Seems to work out just fine, without all the putzing with cuts and swing weighting.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I used to measure by placing the club on the floor, preferrably a hard surface, in the playing position, and using a long ruler up the back of the shaft. Ive since purchased an Auditor club ruler (link below) that i use. I measure to the butt of the ungripped club, for whatever that's worth.

https://www.golfworks.com/auditor-true-length-tipping-ruler/p/gm1026/

I wouldnt think you would need to shorten your 4300, it's already a half inch shorter than what I'm using.

Ive never gotten aling with 45" and up drivers, usually going 44.5" as my max, and preferring to stay closer to 44". I went to 43.5" finally, due to a fitting session several years ago that showed me swinging a steel shafted 43.25" persimmon 2-3 mph faster than my then in-the-bag Ti driver, which was also about an inch longer. Apologies to those of yoy who are reading that from me for the 27th time, LOL.

It took me a few years to really commit to making the effort. What really pushed me was picking up an R9 SuperDeep last year. That vintage TM driver, with the moveable weights, really makes it easy to add weight to the clubhead in order to play the club shorter. The SuperDeep I bought came to me at 44" already. Was an easy fix to chop another half inch at that point.

Also stuffed my King LTD with cotton balls to weight it, and whipped up another 80g shaft for it at 43.5". Thus is the club I've been using now. The others were experiments, but this one is too good. The TEE XCG7 Beta is a close second, if i wish to go that route.

Fun note about XCG7 Beta... You can access the clubhead through the hosel. Because it's adjustable, there's no need to close off the hosel to prevent epoxy pieces creating a rattle. I stuffed quite a few cotton balls thru that "port" to weight it for shorter length.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Saturday & Sunday recap:

Both days were warm at sunrise. Teed off at 5:30 and it was close to 80, sticky, very little breeze. On Sunday I saw an overturned riding cart on the path from #1 to #2. Saw no signs of crushed golfers or equipment. Had two deer encounters and one turkey encounter. Spotted fawn and doe on #4, just behind the green. They left when I hit my approach shot. The doe on #5 just turned her back to me and kept on grazing.

Used the selfie-stick on Saturday for every shot, and once on Sunday. That thing works very well. And it is quick to set up and take down after the shot. Posted some videos on the 2nd YouTube channel in my signature.

Mixed some old school woods with the hybrids, and tried the Louisville Smart persimmon again. It's did not help much. The home course is such that a driver doesn't add a whole lot anyway, so I've switched to carrying a 3, 5, & 7 wood instead. The three will be a tee club only. More control that way. Hit some of the best shots with the 7 wood, straight & long (for me). Left me with shorter approach shots, and I was in some of the best position (shortest) I have ever been on this course. Added a 60 deg lob wedge for that reason. Putting was better without the long putter. That thing would need lots of practice before ever getting on the course again.

All in all it was a good weekend. Hope to get out on Wed evening for 9 with the ever changing setup.

In my mixed bag, I have a driver which is only 6 years old, I figured with all the conforming limits imposed upon the design of the drivers, a 6 years old one is not that different than the one just came out last week.

Fairway woods are 9-10 years old. My irons are 30+ years old and the putter is from the same era as the irons.

Golf balls...... last years new old stock. Softer is a friend these days. I used to play the 100 compression.

Checked out the WITB video you posted (amongst others) on your YouTube channel. There's a fellow at my club that uses the same hybrid irons as you have and wouldn't you know it, but his name is Doug too! Small world... ;)

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa