2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

G400 MAX vs. G400 LST

ProjectX_Mizuno

I have found nothing that can get my G30 LST out of my hands to this point and I have hit a bunch of stuff against it. Best driver I have ever played in terms of distance and forgiveness.

I am resisting so much right now in going in and trying out the 400 line...........But I am not a strong person when it comes to new clubs. LOL

If you love the G30 LST I can guarantee that you will walk out with a G400 LST. The G400 line of drivers are Pings best by far, I believe. The G400 LST is quiet compared to other G lines of drivers and feel the 400 are more forgiving.

I have found nothing that can get my G30 LST out of my hands to this point and I have hit a bunch of stuff against it. Best driver I have ever played in terms of distance and forgiveness.

I am resisting so much right now in going in and trying out the 400 line...........But I am not a strong person when it comes to new clubs. LOL

If you love the G30 LST I can guarantee that you will walk out with a G400 LST. The G400 line of drivers are Pings best by far, I believe. The G400 LST is quiet compared to other G lines of drivers and feel the 400 are more forgiving.

I know this will sound crazy but I don't mind the sound of my G30. To be honest I bet I noticed it the first two swings when I thought that this is a bit loud and then that was it. Nothing is as loud as the first gen Nike Sasquatch Square driver and that is the only one that I really hated the sound on.

More forgiveness is always nice but I'm hitting this driver pretty consistent as it is.

I'm thinking the G400 would have to get me some decent added yardage to make me want to switch. But I'm sure I'll test them at some point this summer.

If one of you gents decide the Max isn't for you I would consider trading my 10.5 standard G400 head in perfect condition. Hit me up ?

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I have never hit the G400 MAX. My gamer is an Epic SZ, 9 degree with the stock Aldila Rogue MAX in stiff factory ordered at 45". I live in Myrtle Beach where there is a PGA Tour Superstore. I have always played stiff shafts in all my clubs, but I am now approaching 70 years of age. I still hit my 8 iron about 150 yards without jumping on it. I hit my driver very consistent about 245-250 yds. on average. I have never hit a driver that was as forgiving and solid feeling as the Epic SZ. One day, out of boredom, I went to the PGA Tour SS and decided to try the G400. I really liked the way it sounded, felt, and what I was getting out of it in terms of accuracy and distance, but did I want to spend an additional $400 plus bucks on a new driver. A few days went by and I was bored once again and went on the Ping website and did an online fitting just for fun. It was recommended I try the 10 degree G400 LST and with their Tour 65 shaft in an R flex. So, back to the PGA Tour SS and I tried the recommended combination. Wow, what a phenomenal combo for me. I couldn't help myself and I ordered one. It came today and right to the range I went. Another wow! The only tweak was moving the loft down by 1/2 degree. High, straight, and workable if I want. The only way to tell if it is longer will be when I use it on one of the courses I play keeping in mind where I end up in comparison to where I am with the Epic. I could even take both clubs with me and make it a live shootout. I think this is one awesome stick.

I know this will sound crazy but I don't mind the sound of my G30. To be honest I bet I noticed it the first two swings when I thought that this is a bit loud and then that was it. Nothing is as loud as the first gen Nike Sasquatch Square driver and that is the only one that I really hated the sound on.

More forgiveness is always nice but I'm hitting this driver pretty consistent as it is.

I'm thinking the G400 would have to get me some decent added yardage to make me want to switch. But I'm sure I'll test them at some point this summer.

Do yourself a favor and hit the G400 LST and MAX. You will be walking out with one of them. I have yet to see one person stick with the G line over the G400 line. It's that good.

It's like G400 line is #1 this year.. Killing sales and all over the PGA Tour, then 2016 M2 (just a special head... And looong), and then a toss up between the M3 and the Rogue.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Man, must be nice. 70 years old and 8i 150? I’m 36 and hit 8i 140.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Are any of you using the g400 max high swing speed, aggressive swingers? I am using an m1 right now to keep my spin low since I tend to balloon my drives, but I tend to miss pretty badly. My miss tends to be when I am quick in my transition and my body gets ahead, but I am wondering if others have seen a marked difference in accuracy with similar issues?

Are any of you using the g400 max high swing speed, aggressive swingers? I am using an m1 right now to keep my spin low since I tend to balloon my drives, but I tend to miss pretty badly. My miss tends to be when I am quick in my transition and my body gets ahead, but I am wondering if others have seen a marked difference in accuracy with similar issues?

This is what I am attempting to do. Looking for a MAX head to pair with a low/low shaft. My M1 440 is a beast but when I’m not swinging well it’s tough to keep in the short grass. I’d be interested to hear anyone who’s done something similar as well.

Hit them both with Hzdrus black (my current gamer shaft) and the LST had better results. Max sound is a little bit of a turn off.

So far, I have only hit my Max on the range but I think it's a great club for me.

Problem is the sound: loud and maybe a little tinny.

There's been a lot of talk here about stuffing cotton or cotton balls into a head to mute the sound.

My question is this: how does one go about doing that?

I removed the back weight but I can't imagine how you can stuff cotton balls into that teeny hole.

Maybe I'm missing something but can anyone suggest how to do this?

And just how many cotton balls do you need?

Hi,

Here is what I did to my G30 LST a couple of years ago based on information I found on the forum. I like using the yarn because if you wanted to remove it I believe it would be easier, though I haven't done so.

It is the thicker yarn and I got it at Wally World. 10' adds about 1 swingweight point, I added 20' to mine and that made it sound a lot better.

Eric

hotmelt is a better option IMO

Not to mention legal. (Oops)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Do yourself a favor and hit the G400 LST and MAX. You will be walking out with one of them. I have yet to see one person stick with the G line over the G400 line. It's that good.

It's like G400 line is #1 this year.. Killing sales and all over the PGA Tour, then 2016 M2 (just a special head... And looong), and then a toss up between the M3 and the Rogue.

I have a feeling you'll be right.

Our club championship is in 5 weeks and I'm playing way to well to make any driver change right now. Plus I'm the defending champion from last year and I have been working all summer to try and win back to back. So my plan is to game my current set through that weekend and then sign up at Club Champion for a driver fitting the week after. I'm sure there will be a G400 model that hits better then my G30. But right now I know this G30 way to well to make the change.

Anyone hit these with a HZRDUS T1100 ?
. I have my carry numbers on good strikes are nearly the same (285 give or take 10) although a lower trajectory with the lst, the big difference as many have stated are on off center hits, the max gives you much more room for error, needless to say my lst will be going up for sale shortly...I really liked it, but it just doesn’t beat the forgiveness of the max

This is what I am attempting to do. Looking for a MAX head to pair with a low/low shaft. My M1 440 is a beast but when I'm not swinging well it's tough to keep in the short grass. I'd be interested to hear anyone who's done something similar as well.

I have a decently fast swing and transition. SS around 108-110 usually. I have a G400 Max 10.5, I started with the Tour 65 S shaft and it was not quite right. Very inconsistent with this driver. I just put a Diamana D+ 6 XS in it and have only hit a few balls with it so far. Not much better. I hit the ball too high with this driver, I already have it down the half degree I will try to go lower. But I have had it for a month or two now and can't say I love it. My previous driver was a titleist 913 D3 with a Diamana D 7 XS and I might be going back to it soon.

Titleist TSI2 9.0 Tensei 1k White 50 TX
Ping G430 Max 3w Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 19 Hybrid Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist TSI2 4 Hybrid Tenseit White 90x
Titleist T200 5 Iron PX 6.5

Titleist T100S 6-PW PX 6.5

Vokey SM8 49 PX 6.5 SM8 54 PX 6.5
Taylormade Hi toe 60 KBS tour V 115
Toulon Atlanta 35"

I’m probably going to switch to the MAX. I love my LST, and it’s as long a driver as I’ve ever hit. But I’ve been working on some swing stuff lately and I’m spinning it less. Solid hits are flirting with being too low spin, mishits aren’t staying in the air long enough. Going to mess around with a MAX set as open as I can get it.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

This is what I am attempting to do. Looking for a MAX head to pair with a low/low shaft. My M1 440 is a beast but when I'm not swinging well it's tough to keep in the short grass. I'd be interested to hear anyone who's done something similar as well.

I have a decently fast swing and transition. SS around 108-110 usually. I have a G400 Max 10.5, I started with the Tour 65 S shaft and it was not quite right. Very inconsistent with this driver. I just put a Diamana D+ 6 XS in it and have only hit a few balls with it so far. Not much better. I hit the ball too high with this driver, I already have it down the half degree I will try to go lower. But I have had it for a month or two now and can't say I love it. My previous driver was a titleist 913 D3 with a Diamana D 7 XS and I might be going back to it soon.

I found the Max launched the ball quite high. I am not sure a shaft change is going to bring that ball flight down. While I am 10 or 10.5* in most drivers in the G400 Max I had to go 9* to get the right launch conditions in the fitting I did.

I found the Max launched the ball quite high. I am not sure a shaft change is going to bring that ball flight down. While I am 10 or 10.5* in most drivers in the G400 Max I had to go 9* to get the right launch conditions in the fitting I did.

The only reason one driver would launch higher than another loft for loft is either you're striking one of them higher in the face which raises launch, or one of them has a much higher MOI which would lead to more forward shaft deflection at impact which increases dynamic loft. The latter can absolutely be helped by a shaft change to something with a stiffer tip that will deflect less.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I dropped my launch way down with a shaft change.

Well. Finally joined the 300yd club. Put a heavier weight in my 10° Lst today ant took it out for a spin. Took a couple holes to get used to it. But on my third drive hit a high draw that probably flew 280 and rolled out to 302 according to my GPS. What a feeling.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Well. Finally joined the 300yd club. Put a heavier weight in my 10° Lst today ant took it out for a spin. Took a couple holes to get used to it. But on my third drive hit a high draw that probably flew 280 and rolled out to 302 according to my GPS. What a feeling.

Congrats !!!

hqdefault.jpg

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I have never hit the G400 MAX. My gamer is an Epic SZ, 9 degree with the stock Aldila Rogue MAX in stiff factory ordered at 45". I live in Myrtle Beach where there is a PGA Tour Superstore. I have always played stiff shafts in all my clubs, but I am now approaching 70 years of age. I still hit my 8 iron about 150 yards without jumping on it. I hit my driver very consistent about 245-250 yds. on average. I have never hit a driver that was as forgiving and solid feeling as the Epic SZ. One day, out of boredom, I went to the PGA Tour SS and decided to try the G400. I really liked the way it sounded, felt, and what I was getting out of it in terms of accuracy and distance, but did I want to spend an additional $400 plus bucks on a new driver. A few days went by and I was bored once again and went on the Ping website and did an online fitting just for fun. It was recommended I try the 10 degree G400 LST and with their Tour 65 shaft in an R flex. So, back to the PGA Tour SS and I tried the recommended combination. Wow, what a phenomenal combo for me. I couldn't help myself and I ordered one. It came today and right to the range I went. Another wow! The only tweak was moving the loft down by 1/2 degree. High, straight, and workable if I want. The only way to tell if it is longer will be when I use it on one of the courses I play keeping in mind where I end up in comparison to where I am with the Epic. I could even take both clubs with me and make it a live shootout. I think this is one awesome stick.

I have now played with my Ping G400 LST several times on the course. Although my Epic SZ is one of the best drivers I have ever owned, the Ping G400 LST, for me, is even better. There are three Ping G400 models (if I missed one I apologize), the LST, the MAX and the standard G400, but my only experience is the LST. On the course Ping G400 LST has been remarkably great. It is a very forgiving head and I think it is difficult to hook, but it is very easy to draw or fade. To get my ideal ball flight, I set it at 1 degree less loft - from 10 degrees to 9 degrees. I am a high ball hitter. When I catch it a little toward the toe, which is my normal miss, I can tell, but I don't lose much distance. Hit on the center produces a very low spin mid high trajectory. I have hit the Epic and the Ping together on the course and the Ping is significantly longer on average, but when I hit one dead center I am getting close to 270 yards out of it. That was a significant increase in distance for me. I was scientific about the determination on distance claims. In the center of each fairway there are white stakes that I shot from the tee with my rangefinder and then measure back to the stake where the ball has ended up. What I also discovered was the ball made a difference with this driver. I hit some of the new Callaway Chrome balls with it and some older Titleist Pro-V1x balls and the Pro-V1x was about 10 yards longer on average with the Ping. I was kind of surprised by that result. It has kick my Epic out of the bag and I thought that would never happen; I liked the Epic that much.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone removed the weight on the max to see whether it would be easy to feed some yarn in there to muffle the sound?

I read on this site in another thread (I believe it was the G400max holy cow thread) that it's no problem. I hope that is true as I just bought one on BST and will cut it down to 44.5 when it gets here. Instead of buying a replacement weight, I will put yarn in it til it comes in at D4.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

I have now played with my Ping G400 LST several times on the course. Although my Epic SZ is one of the best drivers I have ever owned, the Ping G400 LST, for me, is even better. There are three Ping G400 models (if I missed one I apologize), the LST, the MAX and the standard G400, but my only experience is the LST. On the course Ping G400 LST has been remarkably great. It is a very forgiving head and I think it is difficult to hook, but it is very easy to draw or fade. To get my ideal ball flight, I set it at 1 degree less loft - from 10 degrees to 9 degrees. I am a high ball hitter. When I catch it a little toward the toe, which is my normal miss, I can tell, but I don't lose much distance. Hit on the center produces a very low spin mid high trajectory. I have hit the Epic and the Ping together on the course and the Ping is significantly longer on average, but when I hit one dead center I am getting close to 270 yards out of it. That was a significant increase in distance for me. I was scientific about the determination on distance claims. In the center of each fairway there are white stakes that I shot from the tee with my rangefinder and then measure back to the stake where the ball has ended up. What I also discovered was the ball made a difference with this driver. I hit some of the new Callaway Chrome balls with it and some older Titleist Pro-V1x balls and the Pro-V1x was about 10 yards longer on average with the Ping. I was kind of surprised by that result. It has kick my Epic out of the bag and I thought that would never happen; I liked the Epic that much.

There is actually 4 models. The LST, Max, Standard and the SFT which is the one I play and like it alot! The SFT is the draw biased one! I was playing the Rogue SZ and Epic SZ but numbers were way better with the Ping one so it was a no brainer to switch! :)

Has anyone removed the weight on the max to see whether it would be easy to feed some yarn in there to muffle the sound?

I read on this site in another thread (I believe it was the G400max holy cow thread) that it's no problem. I hope that is true as I just bought one on BST and will cut it down to 44.5 when it gets here. Instead of buying a replacement weight, I will put yarn in it til it comes in at D4.

If you play in any tournaments, the USGA would deem your club nonconforming, because the yarn will move in the head.

I was using cotton balls in my Cobra LTD...

If you play in any tournaments, the USGA would deem your club nonconforming, because the yarn will move in the head.

I was using cotton balls in my Cobra LTD...

I guess I should have stated when I screw the weight back in, the end of the yarn is compressed under the weight so it can be easily removed. I also wouldn't want to put anything inside the head I couldn't remove in the event I sold the head some day

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.