Snell vs Vice golf balls

harbor17

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me personally, they're both great balls but with all things being equal, I would choose Snell because of the man's reputation and resume behind his brand.

After all, Snell did help to create the Pro V1 in the first place.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

My vote is for the Snell MTB Red.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

For me its was a no brainer for Snell. I have tried the Vice and they are definitely a decent ball but I found Red to be true contender to the Pro V1. Also the Black is great too if your looking for Pro V1X option as well. Also if your not sure their trial pack is great option as well (6 Black, 6 Red).

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Depends on how many you want to buy too. Having to buy Vice 5 dozen at a time is a turn off for some.

That’s only to get the best price, you can buy 1 dozen at $34.99 instead of 5 dozen at $24.99/ea. To get the best price on Snell you have to buy their pack of 6 dozen which gets them to around $28.

I did the Snell sample pack and they’re were nice but I didn’t fall in love with either. I figured I’d give Vice a try now and went for the 5 dozen because the price was right for me. So should have some Vice Pro in soon, hopefully they’ll arrive before the weekend. Even if they’re not quite as good as a Pro V, I have a feeling it’ll be a really good ball for $25/dz.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

snell, end of story. the red is my fav, but you may like the black. i dunno.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Depends on how many you want to buy too. Having to buy Vice 5 dozen at a time is a turn off for some.

That’s only to get the best price, you can buy 1 dozen at $34.99 instead of 5 dozen at $24.99/ea. To get the best price on Snell you have to buy their pack of 6 dozen which gets them to around $28.

I did the Snell sample pack and they’re were nice but I didn’t fall in love with either. I figured I’d give Vice a try now and went for the 5 dozen because the price was right for me. So should have some Vice Pro in soon, hopefully they’ll arrive before the weekend. Even if they’re not quite as good as a Pro V, I have a feeling it’ll be a really good ball for $25/dz.

I guess I could have clarified better. Wasn't trying to indicate you couldn't buy Vice a dozen at a time, but OP was wanting to "save money" so I was strictly referring to the fact that you can't get best price without buying 5 dozen. To try a dozen Vice is going to run you $42+ (not saving much money). While there are still cheaper options, you can order a dozen Snell off of Amazon with Prime shipping for $32.99 (plus a buck or two if you have to pay tax).

Played both and honestly both are great balls.

For me it was the SNELL because it held up better and overall was better for me. Not the best at all aspects VS Vice but for my game it worked better. Get some of both. Do the TEST packs each offers and then see which you like best....then do the bundle order to save money. I am sure between the test packs giving all the sample types you will find one that fits you best.

For me its was a no brainer for Snell. I have tried the Vice and they are definitely a decent ball but I found Red to be true contender to the Pro V1. Also the Black is great too if your looking for Pro V1X option as well. Also if your not sure their trial pack is great option as well (6 Black, 6 Red).

Isn’t the opposite true? Isn’t the Black more like the ProV1 (3 piece, softer) and the Red more like the X (4 piece, firmer)

Isn't the opposite true? Isn't the Black more like the ProV1 (3 piece, softer) and the Red more like the X (4 piece, firmer)

you are correct. the Red does spin more though, as does the current prov1X.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Wish they had better names...but I'm shallow like that.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Isn't the opposite true? Isn't the Black more like the ProV1 (3 piece, softer) and the Red more like the X (4 piece, firmer)

Correct, "for me" the black just didn't seem to stop as fast as the Pro V1 into greens with mid irons, and short irons. The difference was not a ton at all. I just preferred the Red that stops quicker 100 yards and in. Again that was just my finding.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

OP, whichever you settle on, it's gonna be fun to test them. I've honestly enjoyed testing the non-large market balls over the last couple of years (Vice, Snell, Cut, etc).

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Ordered my 5 doze Vice Pros on Sunday evening. $6 shipping from Germany and they arrived today...wow, that's impressive. Balls look and feel great in the hand, looking forward to trying them out this weekend.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

I am looking to buy something comparative to the ProV1 but want to save some money, I have been researching Snell and Vice but not sure which is better. For background I have always played the ProV1 and play off 5, any suggestions would help.

Thanks.

I have not tried the Snell ball, but I currently play the Vice Pro and it performs as well or better than Pro V1, Z Star, or TP5 I have played in the past. When you factor in the price when 5dz are purchased it is a no brainer for me.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I am looking to buy something comparative to the ProV1 but want to save some money, I have been researching Snell and Vice but not sure which is better. For background I have always played the ProV1 and play off 5, any suggestions would help.

Thanks.

I have not tried the Snell ball, but I currently play the Vice Pro and it performs as well or better than Pro V1, Z Star, or TP5 I have played in the past. When you factor in the price when 5dz are purchased it is a no brainer for me.

I had tested Vice balls but had nothing but sad experience (fee & distance), which is another reason I stick to Snell.

Never tried snell balls (never seen here in EU), but I sometimes play Vices and I can say they are surely good balls, great for the money...I would rate them half a step down pro v1s and tour b...

The pro+ has outstanding spin with wedges

Driver: R7 425 tp 10,5* w/ px blue 6.5

3 Wood: 906 f2 15* w/ hm40 x

Irons: dci962 #2-pw w/ dg s400

Wedges: vokey sm4 raw S grind 56.11-60.07 w/ dg s400

Putter: B60 stainless 

Actually I like both balls. I have a source down here where I am getting them used cheap too. This one guy I know runs a shop and sells used balls. Most of the mainstream golfers will not buy them used they only buy the top name brands. Now to be completely objective I do not care for the Vice Pro Soft at all. It does however play great off of persimmon. I do like the Srixon Soft Feel and the Cally Supersoft though in cooler weather. If I came out of retirement and went back to playing big money matches and Mini Tours I would not hesitate to put either brand (new of course) into front line play

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

OP, whichever you settle on, it's gonna be fun to test them. I've honestly enjoyed testing the non-large market balls over the last couple of years (Vice, Snell, Cut, etc).

Yep I have been doing the same thing myself and it adds to my fun too. I have only tried a couple of Cut balls and they seemed ok too> The one non large market ball I tried that I did not like was the On Core felt like a Rock Flite to me but that is just me

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

• 1 month later...

Actually I like both balls. I have a source down here where I am getting them used cheap too. This one guy I know runs a shop and sells used balls. Most of the mainstream golfers will not buy them used they only buy the top name brands. Now to be completely objective I do not care for the Vice Pro Soft at all. It does however play great off of persimmon. I do like the Srixon Soft Feel and the Cally Supersoft though in cooler weather. If I came out of retirement and went back to playing big money matches and Mini Tours I would not hesitate to put either brand (new of course) into front line play

You are playing the mini tours and playing a persimmon driver or fairway wood? Not saying i dont believe your story or anything, but trying to imagine the the looks you get on the 1st tee from your playing partners!

If you want something like the Pro V1why not the Pro V1?

I assume if you are playing top end ball you are a decent player and losing balls is not the issue, but wearing them out is more common. So you might be saving $2 or less a round. Why compromise on a key part of your equipment for $2?

You are playing the mini tours and playing a persimmon driver or fairway wood? Not saying i dont believe your story or anything, but trying to imagine the the looks you get on the 1st tee from your playing partners!

It's not "are playing" but "were playing." :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

If you want something like the Pro V1why not the Pro V1?

I assume if you are playing top end ball you are a decent player and losing balls is not the issue, but wearing them out is more common. So you might be saving $2 or less a round. Why compromise on a key part of your equipment for $2?

I play the Snell MTB Red and I normally putt out on 18 with the ball I teed off on #1 with. To answer your question...........the fact of the matter is it is not a compromise.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.