BYRON MORGAN REVIEW

bigbluefan1132

Here’s the story: November 7th I started my order for a custom Byron Morgan through one of their representatives. After a couple days of tinkering I decided on a 355g weldneck SSS DH89. All the custom stamps and lettering were okayed by the man at the top. The total cost being $1055. I was given a turnaround time of 2-3 months. I put half down for the deposit. I was pumped to have my first custom built putter to my specs.

Long story short, it’s July 1st and I just got the putter in the mail after numerous excuses from the rep. I demanded a discount or my money back early June because I was fed up. The rep said he will see what he can do. Well he finally gets back with me 3 weeks later offering me bulls***. I get angry and ask for Byron’s number directly which he doesn’t agree to, so he ends up giving me a couple hundred off which I hesitantly agreed to...I just wanted the experience to be over.

I open the putter up today, the grip is wrong, the weight is wrong, and the stamping is wrong, which I drew for the rep! They even stamped their own company wrong, I had “B&CO” (“Byron and Company” which they use on everything) vertically sketched on the face...what do I get? “BBCO”.

Sure, Byron has some great stuff but the lack of communication and error in my custom product has really shown their lack of appreciation of customers in my eyes. I absolutely do not recommend ever doing business with Byron Morgan.

Oh...they also messed up a custom headcover set I had ordered as well through a different rep but that's a story for another time, sadly.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and I finally got a hold of Byron Morgan himself. What was I offered? He said he'd remake the putter for me but I still had to pay the price of $800 (this was the same amount that the rep agreed to after it taking 7 months). So no, I told him I'm not waiting another 7 months for another screw up and I'll take my money elsewhere. I'm happily putting this money towards my custom Bettinardi.

End result: I got a full refund and I had to send the putter back to the rep. 7 months and half of $1055 for absolutely nothing.

How do you know the weight is wrong? Did you weigh the head? Just curious.

Hey, they did eventually give you a refund. Could have been smoother sure, but in the custom business eventually everyone makes mistakes. I'm just surprised Byron is 7 months out on orders, must be crazy busy. Or maybe just not turning out as many putters.

Hey, they did eventually give you a refund. Could have been smoother sure, but in the custom business eventually everyone makes mistakes. I'm just surprised Byron is 7 months out on orders, must be crazy busy. Or maybe just not turning out as many putters.

I did not measure the head by itself, but I measured the full putter with another 353 putter I have with same shaft and length. Also, they stamped the wrong headweight on the bottom from what I ordered.

Just giving me the refund and not offering to fix it is what made me angry (from the rep). I had to contact Byron directly for him to even say he'd make me another putter at the same price.

If I was quoted 7 months in the beginning, and not 2-3, I'd be more okay with it.

I did not measure the head by itself, but I measured the full putter with another 353 putter I have with same shaft and length. Also, they stamped the wrong headweight on the bottom from what I ordered.

Just giving me the refund and not offering to fix it is what made me angry (from the rep). I had to contact Byron directly for him to even say he'd make me another putter at the same price.

If I was quoted 7 months in the beginning, and not 2-3, I'd be more okay with it.

That's fair... I can completely understand your frustrations here. I've have had 5 putters made by Byron, with another on the way. I live close enough to just go to the shop, so I've never dealt with a rep, but have heard mixed reviews.

"One man shop" type of turn times can be incredibly frustrating. I'm currently waiting on a custom pool cue that has an ETA of October... 2017. I feel your pain.

Even if the rep didn't have the authority to offer a remake, they probably should've contacted Byron to check on that before refunding your money. You shouldn't have had to contact him yourself.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

That's disappointing to hear. To have multiple mess ups is surprising to say the least.

I must say, if he offered you a 7 month lead time, it's likely because he had to. Lead times in that industry (metal/machining) have shot up like crazy this year. That being said, I still have a hard time believing it'd take that long if he has any heads in stock, which he should.

Customer service in this line of work is very important, especially in the high end sector. If someone is paying $1000+ for a putter, it needs to be right and if it's quite late, they need to make it right (free headcover or something).

Find a company that treats you well and give them your business.

That's disappointing to hear. To have multiple mess ups is surprising to say the least.

I must say, if he offered you a 7 month lead time, it's likely because he had to. Lead times in that industry (metal/machining) have shot up like crazy this year. That being said, I still have a hard time believing it'd take that long if he has any heads in stock, which he should.

Customer service in this line of work is very important, especially in the high end sector. If someone is paying $1000+ for a putter, it needs to be right and if it's quite late, they need to make it right (free headcover or something).

Find a company that treats you well and give them your business.

I don't disagree...if they offered the 7 months in the beginning it would have been a different story, but I was told 2-3 months.

That's fair... I can completely understand your frustrations here. I've have had 5 putters made by Byron, with another on the way. I live close enough to just go to the shop, so I've never dealt with a rep, but have heard mixed reviews.

"One man shop" type of turn times can be incredibly frustrating. I'm currently waiting on a custom pool cue that has an ETA of October... 2017. I feel your pain.

Even if the rep didn't have the authority to offer a remake, they probably should've contacted Byron to check on that before refunding your money. You shouldn't have had to contact him yourself.

If a company had a lead time of 8+ months and quotes you 2-3, that's unethical. I'm not saying they are doing that but it sounds like they could be. Companies, no matter how big or small, should be truthful on lead times at the time of the order (to the best of their knowledge).

If a company had a lead time of 8+ months and quotes you 2-3, that's unethical. I'm not saying they are doing that but it sounds like they could be. Companies, no matter how big or small, should be truthful on lead times at the time of the order (to the best of their knowledge).

I don't disagree, but I also don't think that's what is happening.

I think that tiny companies quote 2-3 because their lead time is 2-3. Then, if someone has health issues, or one of their vendors takes longer than they quoted, or a different kind of setback occurs, then everything grinds to a halt... then everyone's order is behind and there is no way to catch up because it's a one man show.

I doubt that anyone who knows that their lead times are 8 months would tell someone that it'll only be 2-3... that's just what it turns into.

Personally, if it was me, I wouldn't mind so much as long as I was kept in the loop. If someone tells me 2-3 months, then sends me a proactive email/text after 10 weeks letting me know that there have been delays and setbacks resulting in an extra few months, that would make the situation a lot better. I wouldn't be happy about it, but at least I wouldn't feel hung out to dry.

Proactive follow up with waiting customers doesn't always make a bad situation a good one... but it goes a long way towards taking the sting out of it all.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

The reason for 7 months, as I was told, is that they have to have a certain number of orders with the "Deep Water" finish before they can run a batch in that finish. Apparently they didn't hit that amount for a while. None of this was conveyed to me when I placed the order, the only thing I was told was 2-3 months. If I knew that, I would have picked a different finish.

The reason for 7 months, as I was told, is that they have to have a certain number of orders with the "Deep Water" finish before they can run a batch in that finish. Apparently they didn't hit that amount for a while. None of this was conveyed to me when I placed the order, the only thing I was told was 2-3 months. If I knew that, I would have picked a different finish.

I had a similar issue as I wanted a particular milling but I also wasn't told that the wait would be so long. I waited for over 6+ months and finally had to cancel my order. I really wanted that putter too. :(

My custom experiences this year, dealing with multiple companies, have been filled with poor communication and timelines that can best be described as 'elastic'. In the end I've received quality product, but the process has been frustrating. I hate having to be the one to reach out over and over. My nature is not to pester, but it's difficult when you are left wondering what is going on. I'd rather the individual be up front and provide the 'straight goods'.

In a nutshell, bigblue I truly feel for you and hope the next experience is more enjoyable.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

except for the welded hosel and the deep water finish, what are the additional features which bring price from 500$ to 1000$?

Driver: R7 425 tp 10,5* w/ px blue 6.5

3 Wood: 906 f2 15* w/ hm40 x

Irons: dci962 #2-pw w/ dg s400

Wedges: vokey sm4 raw S grind 56.11-60.07 w/ dg s400

Putter: B60 stainless 

I’m sorry to hear your experience was so negative.

I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with Byron and his reps. Obviously no consolation to you.

I 100% agree that communication can make or break a transaction, and it’s dissapointing that updates were not provided to you. As a one man shop, a lot of factors can throw off a timeframe. A simple update and apology goes a long way for a custom build, where the customer is awaiting a product.

That sucks, sorry to hear! I love my Byron and had a great experience even with a small issue but it was fixed quickly and I was more than compensated for the hassle. Sorry to hear you didn’t have a similarly good experience, I can understand your dissapointment.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

My custom experiences this year, dealing with multiple companies, have been filled with poor communication and timelines that can best be described as 'elastic'. In the end I've received quality product, but the process has been frustrating. I hate having to be the one to reach out over and over. My nature is not to pester, but it's difficult when you are left wondering what is going on. I'd rather the individual be up front and provide the 'straight goods'.

In a nutshell, bigblue I truly feel for you and hope the next experience is more enjoyable.

Yep, you have to really want a Byron to see yourself through the process. I have bought at least 5 and the buying "experience" wore me out.

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1

Wouldn’t Byron think something was odd when he went to stamp the putter and it’s BBCO? Lesson learned and good luck on your future purchases elsewhere.

I can see how a hand written “&” can look like a “B”.

You’d be surprised what people want on their putters.. after a while you probably just stamp what’s on the paper and don’t question it.

I still don’t understand the people who have “a**” stamped on them. Sure, it stands for American Stainless Steel, but come on...

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

My standard putter from Byron is carbon steel plated in copper. Yes, Byron has to have a certain number of heads to send in for a finish. Working in manufacturing involving metals I understand this. I have had to wait an extra 2-4 months in the past before my putter could be sent out for plating. When I order a custom putter from Byron I know this is a risk in the timeline but I am ok with that. I don't think this was a BS excuse but it was a situation that should have been conveyed by the rep quickly into the process of ordering the putter and most certainly once the putter order was processed and monies collected. I have had nothing but excellent experiences ordering the Byron Morgan putters I have. As with Mikey Town, I order my putters directly from Byron himself but I don't have the local pickup option. Byron has always done right by me. Sorry this happened to you.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on