Best wedge shaft for spin

QuigleyDU

Hey, I play pretty good but I don’t really spin the ball well. Any suggestions for a wedge shaft to help with this?

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I play pretty good but I don’t really spin the ball well. Any suggestions for a wedge shaft to help with this?

Honestly for me it’s something softer and lighter than what’s in my irons. I currently play $-taper 125 S+ in my irons and play $-Taper 120 Stiff in my wedges. I promise a wedge shaft isn’t going to really make that much of a difference though. It’s all about impact position combined with a urethane golf ball and clean grooves.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

The wedge I am working with is a tm Hitoe 58 degree

BALL; Chrome Soft X

It’s not the shaft, nor is it the wedges you play. Look at the last line in your signature...the ball is the thing.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

I was playing a Bridgestone BXS Ball. I have played every ball there there is. I know that I am generally a low spin player.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Lots of forward shaft lean at impact with a spinny ball and a wedge with deep, sharp, and clean grooves. Shaft is irrelevant.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I was playing a Bridgestone BXS Ball. I have played every ball there there is. I know that I am generally a low spin player.

The Hi-Toe is VERY high spin... Shaft won't really be much of a factor. I agree with a ball change; Prov1, TP5, and Chrome Soft with fresh clean grooves and a shallow yet accelerated downward strike will give you what you're looking for.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Lots of forward shaft lean at impact with a spinny ball and a wedge with deep, sharp, and clean grooves. Shaft is irrelevant.

Incorrect, " Lots" of forward shaft lean results in decreasing the actual loft of the clubface. Therefore a 58* with too much shaft lean will only have an effective loft of between 52-55*.

Yes, you want SOME shaft lean but to reaaaalllly generate Tour Player wedge spin... You want to attempt a downward strike on the ball with the most loft you can while achieving the distance you need.

Ex. 58* opened to 61* will spin, but you will be 20 yards short of your target.

EDIT: ... And contrary to the belief that you're supposed to be hitting a wedge in the back of your stance. If you watch Spieth, DJ, Rory, and Tiger... They typically are hitting those "Spinners" off their left foot to at their left shoulder. This allows a more lofted yet shallow angle of attack.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto

The Hi-Toe is VERY high spin... Shaft won't really be much of a factor. I agree with a ball change; Prov1, TP5, and Chrome Soft with fresh clean grooves and a shallow yet accelerated downward strike will give you what you're looking for.

Completely agree with this, especially a shallow AOA and acceleration/speed through impact.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Incorrect, " Lots" of forward shaft lean results in decreasing the actual loft of the clubface. Therefore a 58* with too much shaft lean will only have an effective loft of between 52-55*.

Yes, you want SOME shaft lean but to reaaaalllly generate Tour Player wedge spin... You want to attempt a downward strike on the ball with the most loft you can while achieving the distance you need.

EDIT: ... And contrary to the belief that you're supposed to be hitting a wedge in the back of your stance. If you watch Spieth, DJ, Rory, and Tiger... They typically are hitting those "Spinners" off their left foot to at their left shoulder. This allows a more lofted yet shallow angle of attack.

Actually, you are probably more incorrect than he is. The most efficient spin is generated around 45*+- of spin loft. Higher lofted wedges at a number close to their static loft are pretty inefficient for generating spin and need to be delofted at impact to increase efficiency. So no, your assumption of how this all works is not correct.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Spin is mostly a combination of the hit and the grooves.

I used to play the Aldila Lobster Pro 120 wedge shaft when I had Aldila NV Pro 105s on my irons.. Still have one on a sand wedge that I occasionally bag.

Now I order wedges with whatever shaft is on my irons, presently UST Recoil 95s.

The best solution for maximum spin, I'm not ashamed to say, is a machine shop that can mill radically non-conforming grooves.

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I find softer tip shafts will help *some*. I wouldn't be surprised if the cbx wedge spins more as well, due to the increased ballspeed on slight mishits

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

I think shaft can help promote spin. Softer tips and slightly different kick point will alter the shot. A lot of tour guys go s400 in their wedges due to softer tips and it kicks to create more spin. A lot of companies are offering spinner shafts due to softer tips. I created my own spinner shaft on my wedges and I can suck that ball back 10 to 15 ft if I want to. AOA helps on how you pinch the ball, but there are shafts that can help. There are multiple threads on here creating spinner shafts.

Taylormade M1 440 Tour Issue 9.5 Matrix Ozik Black Tie 7m3 x-flex 44.50
Taylormade Jetspeed Tour Issue 3HL 17 Aldila Ripd NV 85 Tour X
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 iron Kuro Kage Tour Proto 100x
Titleist 716 AP2 4-9 iron bent 2 up and 1 degree weak Project X 6.5 plus 5 gram lead tape on back of shaft
Titleist Vokey SM6 46F and 50F bent 2 up and 1 degree weak Project X 6.5 plus 5 gram lead tape on back of shaft
Titleist Vokey SM6 54S and 58L bent 2.5 up and 1 degree weak Project X 7.0 8 iron shaft tipped 3/8th
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 33in

I just ordered Callaway Mack Daddy Four 54 and 58 degree wedges with XP95 shaft. I'm sceptical and there's a chance the shaft will spin the living jesus out of the ball but I'll give it a try. Maybe it's not a bad thing to mostly play partial shots but have a lot of "spin reserve" if one needs to give the ball a full whack and spin it like there's no tomorrow.

If this doesn't work I'll just change the shafts.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

Actually, you are probably more incorrect than he is. The most efficient spin is generated around 45*+- of spin loft. Higher lofted wedges at a number close to their static loft are pretty inefficient for generating spin and need to be delofted at impact to increase efficiency. So no, your assumption of how this all works is not correct.

You sir... are incorrect. It is a known fact that a 56* wedge will spin the most out of ANY wedge or loft. More then a 60* as well. Watch videos from Martin Chuck, Butch Harmon, etc.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto

Spin is mostly a combination of the hit and the grooves.

I used to play the Aldila Lobster Pro 120 wedge shaft when I had Aldila NV Pro 105s on my irons.. Still have one on a sand wedge that I occasionally bag.

Now I order wedges with whatever shaft is on my irons, presently UST Recoil 95s.

The best solution for maximum spin, I'm not ashamed to say, is a machine shop that can mill radically non-conforming grooves.

Or get a set of Haywood wedges, have you seen the face on those things????!

Never seen such aggressive milling on a wedge in my life.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto

Suggestion from the Vokey camp: Softstep the same shaft you have in your numbered irons.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

You sir... are incorrect. It is a known fact that a 56* wedge will spin the most out of ANY wedge or loft. More then a 60* as well. Watch videos from Martin Chuck, Butch Harmon, etc.

You go ahead and keep telling yourself that.

Here’s what is a known fact...

Static loft number has nothing to do with the spin loft number created at impact. Above about 45* of spin loft, spin effeciency starts to deminish as the oblique impact loses the ability to generate friction between the club and ball.

Go ahead and ask Martin or any of the other guys out there and they’ll provide you the same info. Go ask Monte or Dan(iTeach) in the instruction forum and you’ll get the same answer.

Just one small example...

You do not understand things as well as you think you do.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I guess you've never seen Lee Trevino make a low flying wedge spinner on the green while taking a huge divot.

The ignorance is strong in you....

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I guess you've never seen Lee Trevino make a low flying wedge spinner on the green while taking a huge divot.

The ignorance is strong in you....

I've seen many guys hit a low high spinning shot with the ball towards the back of their stance. I'm not saying it's not possible. I am simply stating the margin for error is higher with that ball position. Secondly, in addition to being an easier shot, the strike with the ball neutral or slightly forward will give you a great angle to perform a shallow descending blow while keeping the loft on the clubface as close to true as possible.

I can hit the low trajectory high spinner if I want to... It's just a harder shot and I've seen plenty of tour Pros have difficulty with that shot... Flubbing or chili dipping the $hit out of it in front of millions of people.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto

There’s a real popular line from Billy Madison that I’d love to quote right now but that would be mean so I’ll refrain from doing so.

Honestly, if I’m trying to create spin I’m probably using my 56 or 52 with forward shaft lean, ball back in my stance and a slightly shallow angle of attack to keep from hitting the ball high on the face. If I have a shot where I’m not really able to spin it due to the lie or slope of the green then I’m going to use my 60 and try to stop it with trajectory.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Where do all you experts get your education?

Like Golfrnut is trying to explain, max spin has a peak where spin loft is 45*

Spin loft

= Dynamic loft - AOA + Face to path.

I would love to see how we could get a 56* static lofted wedge down to a spin loft of 45...

A club with 45* static loft, 0* AOA, face to path of 0* and no forward shaft bending would have a spin loft of 45*

If we add a negative AOA of -5*, spin loft would now go up to 50*, so in this case, a AOA of 5* adds spin to the club with a static loft of 40* while the same AOA of -5* reduces spin on the club with a static loft of 45*

When it comes to wedge shafts, we can add spin by using a shaft like DG Spinner, or the 8 iron spinner trick. Both of them holds back spin loft, thats where the added spin comes from.

If we use a softer tipped shaft, it will add dynamic loft and launch, who gives a steaper descent and softer landing, but NOT added spin....not for any club where we go beyond a spin loft of 45*

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Where do all you experts get your education?

Like Golfrnut is trying to explain, max spin has a peak where spin loft is 45*

Spin loft

= Dynamic loft - AOA + Face to path.

I would love to see how we could get a 56* static lofted wedge down to a spin loft of 45...

A club with 45* static loft, 0* AOA, face to path of 0* and no forward shaft bending would have a spin loft of 45*

If we add a negative AOA of -5*, spin loft would now go up to 50*, so in this case, a AOA of 5* adds spin to the club with a static loft of 40* while the same AOA of -5* reduces spin on the club with a static loft of 45*

When it comes to wedge shafts, we can add spin by using a shaft like DG Spinner, or the 8 iron spinner trick. Both of them holds back spin loft, thats where the added spin comes from.

If we use a softer tipped shaft, it will add dynamic loft and launch, who gives a steaper descent and softer landing, but NOT added spin....not for any club where we go beyond a spin loft of 45*

so, since this conversation has switched from shafts, to spin loft. i started reading up about spin loft. It is very interesting. The question i have is that you can have a high spin loft than 45, and you will get more spin from that, it just become less efficient in terms of spin generated. Correct?

BALL; Chrome Soft X

You go ahead and keep telling yourself that.

Here’s what is a known fact...

Static loft number has nothing to do with the spin loft number created at impact. Above about 45* of spin loft, spin effeciency starts to deminish as the oblique impact loses the ability to generate friction between the club and ball.

Go ahead and ask Martin or any of the other guys out there and they’ll provide you the same info. Go ask Monte or Dan(iTeach) in the instruction forum and you’ll get the same answer.

Just one small example...

You do not understand things as well as you think you do.

Dude gonna read this reply like...

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X