2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

John Daly / PXG

mr cool

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay...here we go...I find it interesting that quite a few posters seem willing to give Big JD a break when it comes to his repeated transgressions, while TW is ripped, repeatedly on this same site for chasing skirts while married Before the posting attacks begin, note that I recognize that we have the right to like and dislike whom ever we please...okay 3-2-1...GO!

Probably has a lot to do with how each one handled their "issues". Daly was upfront about his addictions and has said he can't overcome them. Tiger hides in a house and has a guy release statements about his drugs being mismanaged. Daly gets raked by his wife and he shows up with open wounds on his face to play the next day. Tiger gets whacked with a 9 iron and he somehow refuses to talk to law enforcement about driving his suv over a fire hydrant. Daly plays like carp and simply walks off, WD'ing like a child. Tiger makes up fantastical theatre about his glutes and whatnot. I think the difference is that Daly acknowledges his fans while Tiger generally wishes they all died in a fire while he watched from the clubhouse. One is a forgivable character, the other is not.

There is no comparison. Daly is a child. Tiger is a man. A flawed man perhaps, but one holds himself accountable for his actions. Every time I've heard Daly "apologize", it had a "yeah but it really isn't my fault" echo to it.

Agree 100%. But people forgive Daly because he’s a forgivable character. TW apologizes in the same way, but does it in a way that says “I’m obviously lying, but I hate you all and I’m Tiger Woods so you will believe it and you will like it.” That’s is the difference being asked about in the original post.

Is John Daly even relevant to Golf anymore? He is the epitome of a wasted talent. Tremendous natural ability but lack of work ethic and too much love to get drunk wasted what should have been an incredible career. He's now left relegated to hawking his trinkets from the side of his mobile home and hoping for sponsor's exemptions. I would rather see someone working their butt off get benefits like a club contact instead of someone hanging on to their past while not working their butt off getting back to that plateau.

Nobody's perfect bud

Everyone has their own demons to deal with

Given the option to have a beer with JD or 99% of the other pro golfers, I know who I am pulling a stool up beside.

WITB
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0*

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* 

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 19* 

Ping i525 4-UW

Titleist Vokey SM8- 54* and 58*

Custom Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

2dpusp.jpg

Is there a Super Demons meme?

Okay...here we go...I find it interesting that quite a few posters seem willing to give Big JD a break when it comes to his repeated transgressions, while TW is ripped, repeatedly on this same site for chasing skirts while married Before the posting attacks begin, note that I recognize that we have the right to like and dislike whom ever we please...okay 3-2-1...GO!

Probably has a lot to do with how each one handled their "issues". Daly was upfront about his addictions and has said he can't overcome them. Tiger hides in a house and has a guy release statements about his drugs being mismanaged. Daly gets raked by his wife and he shows up with open wounds on his face to play the next day. Tiger gets whacked with a 9 iron and he somehow refuses to talk to law enforcement about driving his suv over a fire hydrant. Daly plays like carp and simply walks off, WD'ing like a child. Tiger makes up fantastical theatre about his glutes and whatnot. I think the difference is that Daly acknowledges his fans while Tiger generally wishes they all died in a fire while he watched from the clubhouse. One is a forgivable character, the other is not.

There is no comparison. Daly is a child. Tiger is a man. A flawed man perhaps, but one holds himself accountable for his actions. Every time I've heard Daly "apologize", it had a "yeah but it really isn't my fault" echo to it.

Agree 100%. But people forgive Daly because he's a forgivable character. TW apologizes in the same way, but does it in a way that says "I'm obviously lying, but I hate you all and I'm Tiger Woods so you will believe it and you will like it." That's is the difference being asked about in the original post.

LOL

I'm not sending him to the electric chair. I had a discussion with him, face to face. He shows me no desire to practice or play. He was just interested in selling his wares when he could have been at Augusta National working with the best people. He chose apathy instead of hard work. I saw first hand. Have you met Daly? I was shocked with what I saw hence my position. Believe me I'm pulling for JD but he has to make an honest effort.

So based on a few minute conversation with JD you understand him completely? I'm impressed.

Wow, you're still putting words in people's mouths. Nice holier than thou attitude bud.

He said he had a face to face with JD, and further stated, "He chose apathy instead of hard work. I saw first hand." Based on this, and what RD said in his previous posts, one can infer that he has an understanding of JD that the rest of us are not privy to.

Please tell me what words I put in his mouth.

You ever meet JD and have a conversation with him face to face? Inquiring minds want to know.

No, never met him. How long have you known JD?

You ever meet JD and have a conversation with him face to face? Inquiring minds want to know.

That is irrelevant. He made his comments and his actions have made many people conclude he isn't as hungry as he once was. Does that make JD a bad person? Absolutely not. He's rather likable and our brief discussion left me with an opinion he is a really nice guy. I am certainly not against JD and hope the best for him. He has endured quite a bit in life, much to his own doing. At the end of the day it's his life.

My comments have nothing to do with JD as a person. We all have issues and flaws, myself included. I am not talking about his personal issues. My criticism of this PGX arrangement is that there are many young pros working their butt off while JD certainly isn't putting in the time he probably should as a tour pro. He is incredibly talented and has so much raw ability that most of us would love to have an ounce of. Again, I am not criticizing him but offering my opinion of what I have seen from him the past 20+ years. If Bob Parsons thinks signing JD can sell some clubs then more power to him. Even if signing JD has no effect on club sales more power to Parsons. It's his company so he can do what ever he wants.

On a last note, I don't have the compulsion to tear into someone because they post a differentiating point of view, as you did. I don't have to impugn a persons character to win an argument. I can have a discussion based on information, attempting to be 100% factual every time. With regard to my discussion with John Daly, you weren't there so your opinion of what was or was not said is irrelevant so don't waste my time. I know what I heard when I posed the question of why JD wasn't at ANGC as other pros with equal privilege were. I was also able to look into his eyes when he gave me a BS excuse and I saw a deflated spirit holding on to the last bit of celebrity he had while he was drinking his Diet Coke and smoking a cigarette. Maybe he values his time at Hooters more than time earned at ANGC. Who knows and what I think is irrelevant. If JD is good with apathy, at least in that one case, then so be it. Again, this doesn't make him a bad guy nor does this make him a good guy. This makes JD be JD. I have not and will not impugn your character and will remain on the high road. Let's just respectfully agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

This thread is like a case study of everything that is wrong with the internet ?

I don't know, personally I love the guy. Probably for the same reasons I loved Dennis Rodman, Lindsay Lohan, and my first wife. I'm a horrible judge of character...

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

That is irrelevant. He made his comments and his actions have made many people conclude he isn't as hungry as he once was. Does that make JD a bad person? Absolutely not. He's rather likable and our brief discussion left me with an opinion he is a really nice guy. I am certainly not against JD and hope the best for him. He has endured quite a bit in life, much to his own doing. At the end of the day it's his life.

My comments have nothing to do with JD as a person. We all have issues and flaws, myself included. I am not talking about his personal issues. My criticism of this PGX arrangement is that there are many young pros working their butt off while JD certainly isn't putting in the time he probably should as a tour pro. He is incredibly talented and has so much raw ability that most of us would love to have an ounce of. Again, I am not criticizing him but offering my opinion of what I have seen from him the past 20+ years. If Bob Parsons thinks signing JD can sell some clubs then more power to him. Even if signing JD has no effect on club sales more power to Parsons. It's his company so he can do what ever he wants.

On a last note, I don't have the compulsion to tear into someone because they post a differentiating point of view, as you did. I don't have to impugn a persons character to win an argument. I can have a discussion based on information, attempting to be 100% factual every time. With regard to my discussion with John Daly, you weren't there so your opinion of what was or was not said is irrelevant so don't waste my time. I know what I heard when I posed the question of why JD wasn't at ANGC as other pros with equal privilege were. I was also able to look into his eyes when he gave me a BS excuse and I saw a deflated spirit holding on to the last bit of celebrity he had while he was drinking his Diet Coke and smoking a cigarette. Maybe he values his time at Hooters more than time earned at ANGC. Who knows and what I think is irrelevant. If JD is good with apathy, at least in that one case, then so be it. Again, this doesn't make him a bad guy nor does this make him a good guy. This makes JD be JD. I have not and will not impugn your character and will remain on the high road. Let's just respectfully agree to disagree and leave it at that.

The only character impugning I see has been directed at JD by some folks.

I agree that he hasn’t lived up to his potential. A long time ago Tiger Woods said he had never seen a golfer with more natural talent than JD. For whatever reasons JD didn’t live up to that talent. The same could probably said for many of us.

In any event, I have no problem discussing why that may be, my problem is how some go about it.

Is John Daly even relevant to Golf anymore? He is the epitome of a wasted talent. Tremendous natural ability but lack of work ethic and too much love to get drunk wasted what should have been an incredible career. He's now left relegated to hawking his trinkets from the side of his mobile home and hoping for sponsor's exemptions. I would rather see someone working their butt off get benefits like a club contact instead of someone hanging on to their past while not working their butt off getting back to that plateau.
That's kinda harsh. We are not all wired to be this shining example of humanity. He has life long issues.

And why is it harsh? Many would say the assessment is spot on accurate. Look at last week for example. He withdraws from the US Senior Open because he doesn't get a cart. He's invited to submit additional information to validate this request. Instead of validating this he simply quits and withdraws. Scott Verplank went through the necessary steps and had a cart. Why should JD be treated differently? Again, if he worked half as hard on his game than he does selling trinkets maybe his detractors would think differently.

How do you know this?

By simply reading the many comments posted on this thread about JD and his choices. I am not alone to see how Daly has underachieved his prodigious talent because he likes beer and crap food more. Or that he doesn't put time into his game. I met Daly during Masters week in 2015 where he was content smoking his cigarette, drinking his Diet Coke and selling his product from his RV parked at the Hooters on Washington Road. I asked him, as a former PGA and British Open Champion why he wasn't at The National playing practice rounds and working on his game there. He said he didn't want to take a spot from someone. What a crock of BS. There were gaps of tee times with no activity and Daly HAS EARNED attending and participating in the Masters, pre tournament yet he doesn't take advantage of this earned opportunity. Heck, Jerry Pate still shows up and partakes and he isn't as good as John Daly today.

Why do you think there are many of us who just don't agree with Bob Parsons/PGX in this arrangement? Because JD doesn't work on his game anymore. He isn't hungry. He's a shell of his former self. Such a waste. Give an equipment contract to someone who is busting their Word not allowed to get to the big time. Give it to Matt Hansen because he's busting his butt to make it, even though TM is taking care of him. I agree with those who believe JD is living on what he did in the past because he is.

Maybe he just didn't like talking with you? Or maybe he didn't like some stranger walking up to him and telling him how he should be spending his time?

Vice versa for people ripping JD but giving TW a pass because of his record I guess. c'est la vie

Not too many people gave TW a pass regarding his DUI driving or his skirt chasing. But TW put a pretty brilliant career together with multiple major wins and dozens of tournament wins around the globe from 1996 through 2013. John Daly won 4 tournaments between 1991 and 1995, three more between 2001 and 2003, and has an impressive record of WDs and MCs aside from his multiple off-course "ventures".

JD also doesn't get the fawning attention that Tiger gets from fans, media, et al. (and for good reason). I do agree that one's private life should be left private but if you hold someone so high on a pedestal, the fall is going to be that much greater. One cannot expect all the good and not expect the same amount or more of the bad when things go wrong.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

John Daly has found a way of making a living without putting effort into his golf game. Watch the interview with Graham Bensinger, that's all you need to know. Daly likes what he does, he likes to be a chainsmoker, he decided that he can't drink water, he decided that practicing hurts his golf game. Obviously that's enough for him. As long as there's a kind sponsor every now and then who gives him money he won't be willing to change anything. If that's OK with him, let him do it.

I know he had a huge contract from Callaway in the 90s that he lost because he lost his sobriety. Eli Callaway really seem to love JD and seemed to be saddened when Callaway had to end the relationship. I am not sure this was for $100 million but at the time it was a big contract. Demons to wrestle with. I do hope JD can over come his demons and I do hope he is successful. But then again this is JD we're talking about and there is a definite pattern.

The Callaway contract wasnt good from the start. From what Daly said, Callaway had him on a cocktail of anti depressants and all other sorts of stuff to try to rehab him. I remember seeing him at the PGA and he was like 150 pounds. It was bizarre. He then had that episode where he had the shakes in the middle of the tournament.

John Daly has found a way of making a living without putting effort into his golf game. Watch the interview with Graham Bensinger, that's all you need to know. Daly likes what he does, he likes to be a chainsmoker, he decided that he can't drink water, he decided that practicing hurts his golf game. Obviously that's enough for him. As long as there's a kind sponsor every now and then who gives him money he won't be willing to change anything. If that's OK with him, let him do it.

I agree. Does one necessarily agree with how JD managed his career? Probably not. But, if he is happy with his approach, that's all that ultimately matters.

Maybe he just didn't like talking with you? Or maybe he didn't like some stranger walking up to him and telling him how he should be spending his time?

For what it's worth, I certainly didn't tell JD what he should do. I merely asked why he wasn't at ANGC as a former PGA and Open Championship winner. JD is very approachable and really a good guy. That's never been in question. He didn't seem put off by my interaction with him and was rather friendly. We had a nice conversation regarding other things as well.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I`m guessing Mr. Daly is ok with the way his life is currently going. Good for him, It`s nice to see another flawed golfer.

We are all flawed in some way. :-)

Yes, I`m fully aware of this, just try telling the rest of the world that. This forum would be a good starting point. Good Luck!

Seems like some would rather point out the flaws of others instead of confronting their own. :-)

Some even derive pleasure from the misfortune of others...I think it's called schadenfreude.

I’ve been called a waste of talent and an underachiever since I was a teenager, some from people who didn’t know what I was dealing with, and a lot from people who should have known a little better. It’s been enough to make me actually hide from the world for periods of time.

I’m comfortable enough in myself now to know what I’m capable of and what makes me happy. I didn’t have to do it in front of a camera like John with millions of people watching, a good portion actually cheering for the next breakdown. Yet through all of this, divorces, mental health issues, addiction, and at times owing more in alimony and debts than he was earning in income, he kept lugging along. Won 2 majors along the way.

Those of you accusing JD of underachieving, try playing the PGA Tour. Also realize that even though he doesn’t practice much now, he practiced more to get where he is than any of you have put into golf and it’s not even close. More perspective, JD has more majors than the last few world number 1’s.

Who cares if John likes selling merch over playing in meaningless senior tour events? He’s over 50, he doesn’t have a shot at playing the regular tour anymore, and he has an expensive life to pay for. He’s earned his success and his money. No one gave JD those majors; he went out and won them. John didn’t wake up as a kid one day and discover that he was incredible at hitting a golf ball, which many of you seem to think. He worked hard.

Lastly, those of you doubting the existence of “demons” (mental health, addiction, etc) need to seriously educate yourself.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I’ve been called a waste of talent and an underachiever since I was a teenager, some from people who didn’t know what I was dealing with, and a lot from people who should have known a little better. It’s been enough to make me actually hide from the world for periods of time.

I’m comfortable enough in myself now to know what I’m capable of and what makes me happy. I didn’t have to do it in front of a camera like John with millions of people watching, a good portion actually cheering for the next breakdown. Yet through all of this, divorces, mental health issues, addiction, and at times owing more in alimony and debts than he was earning in income, he kept lugging along. Won 2 majors along the way.

Those of you accusing JD of underachieving, try playing the PGA Tour. Also realize that even though he doesn’t practice much now, he practiced more to get where he is than any of you have put into golf and it’s not even close. More perspective, JD has more majors than the last few world number 1’s.

Who cares if John likes selling merch over playing in meaningless senior tour events? He’s over 50, he doesn’t have a shot at playing the regular tour anymore, and he has an expensive life to pay for. He’s earned his success and his money. No one gave JD those majors; he went out and won them. John didn’t wake up as a kid one day and discover that he was incredible at hitting a golf ball, which many of you seem to think. He worked hard.

Lastly, those of you doubting the existence of “demons” (mental health, addiction, etc) need to seriously educate yourself.

Amen and well said JD has more talent and success than prob 99.99% of WRXers bashing him. Also more heart any of you remember the spectator who was struck by lightning and died at 1991 PGA? JD paid for the victims childrens college tuition. And that was before he really had fame and wealth.

Guy has his shortcomings but his heart makes up for it.

Bob is the redneck billionaire...JD ..well, you know the rest.. good fit...he didn't think Tiger would be a fit for PXG

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

What’s with all this talk of wasted talent. Guy won two majors. Let’s make a list of all the guys who’ve done that. I bet it’s rather short

Better yet, let’s make a list of all the guys who’ve won multiple majors and stomped on the terra living their life exactly how they wanted to.

Daly is the Mickey Mantle of golf. He’s a living legend. Not many of those left these days, and they sure as hell aren’t making them like they used to anymore.

Young pro's are unknowns, no one cares what clubs these kids play. JD is notorious / famous and captures headlines, that's what companies seek when it comes to marketing and brand ambassadors. Parsons and JD are loud, brash in your face guys so it's pretty obvious why PXG would want JD using their clubs.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX