2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos Γ—

Are lighter putters sold today?

ChaosTheory

20-30 years ago, putters were a good bit lighter than today. Go back another 20 years and I think they were lighter still. I am a bit skeptical that the markets seems to see a universal need for these heavier heads. Does any major putter brand still sell putters with heads that are say, less than 325 grams? I'm sure it can be done through one or more of the boutique shops, but I'm asking about the big companies. (I'm not that sure I would want one, but I do wonder if at least some people might benefit from something lighter than today's.)

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58ΒΊ Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock
Β 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the cheapest β€˜new’ route, go on eBay and look for old β€œnew stock” of certain putter lineups, such as Teardrop. Those are really great putters β€” Bobby Grace himself told me the radius face β€˜Roll Face Technology’ was really good β€” and I think almost all of their Anser and similar heads were in the 320, 325 and maybe 330g range.

Β 

I have an old TD21 and it is one of my favorites, but Teardop made a lot of good looking ones. The company changed hands a few times, faded away. That usually puts what’s left of the old stock out there to float around forever. But not a thing wrong with them and they are lighter.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Thanks for the replies. It looks like there is no market for lighter putters from the big companies. I smell the need for a lighter putter, and an infomercial!

Anyone who takes this idea and markets it, I want royalties. :)

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58ΒΊ Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock
Β 

All they are selling now are twigs, with the occasional "counterbalanced" exception. No wonder so many people putt like crap.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic GoldΒ s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Most of our O-Works putters can be weight adjusted down to 340 grams with the commercial weight kit. For Tour players we can go down to 330 grams with 5 gram weights and down to 326g-327g with plastic weights. We do not do this too often as the average blade weight for the Tour putters we make is about 340g-350g. I have been designing putters for 25 years. When I started the average head weight was about 305g-310g...now they are 350g-360g.

Β 

As grips have gone larger in diameter I have seen the need for heavier heads. The smaller grips rest more in the fingers and the larger diameter, in the palms. In the palms requires more head mass to be able to feel the head.

Most of our O-Works putters can be weight adjusted down to 340 grams with the commercial weight kit. For Tour players we can go down to 330 grams with 5 gram weights and down to 326g-327g with plastic weights. We do not do this too often as the average blade weight for the Tour putters we make is about 340g-350g. I have been designing putters for 25 years. When I started the average head weight was about 305g-310g...now they are 350g-360g.

Β 

As grips have gone larger in diameter I have seen the need for heavier heads. The smaller grips rest more in the fingers and the larger diameter, in the palms. In the palms requires more head mass to be able to feel the head.

Β 

Good stuff. Thanks. Love the O Works lineup, especially the Jailbird Mini S and the Marrxman S. But I also really like the new EXO 7 design.

Ping Anser and Anser 2 original remakes are probably my best suggestion for putters available at a retail store. Completely opposite of all the putters produced now a days (traditional ping grip, no face milling, light weight). Feel is actually pretty good.

Β 

If you want a lighter putter but NOT as light as those really early Pings, take a look at the BeCu or BeNi Ping putters. Those were about 15-30 grams heavier than the standard manganese-bronze and regular steel Ping putters. Boy do they feel goooooooood!

I am using now a stainless b60 weighted 15 grams, for a total of 326 grams head. I play always on fast greens and control distance much better with lighter heads

Driver: R7 425 tp 10,5* w/ px blue 6.5

3 Wood: 906 f2 15* w/ hm40 x

Irons: dci962 #2-pw w/ dg s400

Wedges: vokey sm4 raw S grind 56.11-60.07 w/ dg s400

Putter: B60 stainlessΒ 

20-30 years ago, putters were a good bit lighter than today. Go back another 20 years and I think they were lighter still. I am a bit skeptical that the markets seems to see a universal need for these heavier heads. Does any major putter brand still sell putters with heads that are say, less than 325 grams? I'm sure it can be done through one or more of the boutique shops, but I'm asking about the big companies. (I'm not that sure I would want one, but I do wonder if at least some people might benefit from something lighter than today's.)

I am with you on your observation. I have seen putter weights on an amateur level climb steadily over the past ten years. What USED to be heavy at 350 grams is now "standard" for many makers, as well as in the eyes of many consumers. A lot of the time, a guy buying a putter will buy based on head weight, not based on how it will feel at the length that fits his frame and stroke. It is marketing-driven, IMHO. Greens are much better manicured today than 20 years ago and I feel that a heavier putter can sometimes steal some of the "feel" of the head and give it a sledgehammer effect. With less energy needed to roll the ball the same distance, my brain likes a lighter putter to do the work. I had an Anser in the shop a couple of years ago that was in for a face milling. A stock Anser was 320-325, and milling was not going to ADD weight, right? Following the work, I took it out onto the fitting green at Hot Stix and rolled the eight balls that they had there, two times thru. Of the 16 putts, I made 13 and those that missed, were left within tap-ini range from 12-feet.. For ME, I like the light feel and that fitting green was quick.

Does that mean everyone should change? Not at all. Guys will always want to try what is perceived as "TOUR" weight, even though very few PGA players will roll a 350 gram putter at 35". It is the beauty of the putter world. We can get out on the practice green and hit the exact same putts that we see tour players roll, every week.

If you like a lighter putter, find an old school Anser for $20-30 and give it a go. Karsten knew what he was doing with regards to weight, material and design. I think you'll be surprised at how effective you can be with that "Lighter" putter in your hands. If not, there is a mountain of makers who crank out the 350-370 gram heads at an alarming rate.

I wish you the best and please, if you give an Anser a try, let us know how you fare.

Just one Mann's opinion,

LaMont in AZ

I am with you on your observation. I have seen putter weights on an amateur level climb steadily over the past ten years. What USED to be heavy at 350 grams is now "standard" for many makers, as well as in the eyes of many consumers. A lot of the time, a guy buying a putter will buy based on head weight, not based on how it will feel at the length that fits his frame and stroke. It is marketing-driven, IMHO. Greens are much better manicured today than 20 years ago and I feel that a heavier putter can sometimes steal some of the "feel" of the head and give it a sledgehammer effect. With less energy needed to roll the ball the same distance, my brain likes a lighter putter to do the work. I had an Anser in the shop a couple of years ago that was in for a face milling. A stock Anser was 320-325, and milling was not going to ADD weight, right? Following the work, I took it out onto the fitting green at Hot Stix and rolled the eight balls that they had there, two times thru. Of the 16 putts, I made 13 and those that missed, were left within tap-ini range from 12-feet.. For ME, I like the light feel and that fitting green was quick.

Does that mean everyone should change? Not at all. Guys will always want to try what is perceived as "TOUR" weight, even though very few PGA players will roll a 350 gram putter at 35". It is the beauty of the putter world. We can get out on the practice green and hit the exact same putts that we see tour players roll, every week.

If you like a lighter putter, find an old school Anser for $20-30 and give it a go. Karsten knew what he was doing with regards to weight, material and design. I think you'll be surprised at how effective you can be with that "Lighter" putter in your hands. If not, there is a mountain of makers who crank out the 350-370 gram heads at an alarming rate.

I wish you the best and please, if you give an Anser a try, let us know how you fare.

Just one Mann's opinion,

LaMont in AZ

Β 

The Mann has spoken, and it is good.

Of course it is. Beauty. Now, what would be the weight of that head? My Dad’s old Ping putter is in the basement. You guys are making me want to go fish it out.

Of course it is. Beauty. Now, what would be the weight of that head? My Dad's old Ping putter is in the basement. You guys are making me want to go fish it out.

Β 

It should be 310 grams.

At least, first ss ansers, b60s and zings were those headweight.

Β 

That is a great putter, one of those "putters for life"

Driver: R7 425 tp 10,5* w/ px blue 6.5

3 Wood: 906 f2 15* w/ hm40 x

Irons: dci962 #2-pw w/ dg s400

Wedges: vokey sm4 raw S grind 56.11-60.07 w/ dg s400

Putter: B60 stainlessΒ 

I still have three Pings from years ago I pull out now and then, mostly because they are lighter. I still have my first Ping I ever bought, an Echo 2 from 1978, and the second, an original B60 from 1980. I also have an Anser remake from sometime in the 1990s that I picked up used about 10 years ago. If my hands ever get twitchy, a heavy putter makes it worse for me. If I hit some putts with my old putters, I feel like I make much more of a shoulder stroke and keep my hands more quiet, and I will pull them out now and then just to practice for that feel. But I must say that with the heavy putters, in general my speed control probably is better, but when its off, it can be even more off as I start to "pop" at the ball.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410Β  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron KBS TGI 90, ZX 5 MKii 5,6,7 ironsΒ  ZX7 MKiiΒ  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX ZipcoreΒ  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I don't like the offset of an Anser. In fact I have a MgBr Ping Pal that I bought new in about 1980. I love the weight of it, but not the offset. I currently (for several years) putt with a TM Anser style head that has the smoother neck with one shaft's worth of offset, and toe hang at about 5:00. I'd love to find something just like it but more in sub-325 gram range. Maybe I should look at a Zing?

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58ΒΊ Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock
Β