Anyone else dread being announced as the low handicap?

Cpm881

I despise being the "A" player. Played in a scramble with some HS friends last month. I am a 2.8, the other 3 were 36's. I am 5'10 and 215 and pretty thick in the arms and chest so my swing is hardly long and languid, it is short, hard a choppy. The comment I got was "I expected a pro swing". Never mind that I basically played my own ball all day. I guess the expectations are what bother me-

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I despise being the "A" player. Played in a scramble with some HS friends last month. I am a 2.8, the other 3 were 36's. I am 5'10 and 215 and pretty thick in the arms and chest so my swing is hardly long and languid, it is short, hard a choppy. The comment I got was "I expected a pro swing". Never mind that I basically played my own ball all day. I guess the expectations are what bother me-

Lmao damn you for not having a swing like Adam Scott!

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Lmao damn you for not having a swing like Adam Scott!

^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^

When someone asks what I shoot I respond with “my goal is to break 100 “. That was if I shoot 74 or 82 I’m covered and there’s no expectations. If I tell people I’m a 4 they expect me to shoot 76

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 14.5

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW

Cleveland CG-10 52,56,60

Cleveland Classic 4.5

Sometimes I'm announced as a good putter; no problem if it comes up during a round, but in advance I've only lived up to it twice: the first time I one-putted the first 7 holes (24 putts total) and the other I started with 60- and 15-foot putts, missed a 35-foot putt by inches on hole 3 and took 22 putts... both in money games which I rarely play due to 200-yard drives. That aside, expectations weigh heavily on me.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

If I ever reach a low digit I probably wouldn’t mind. I play with two guys who can’t break 100 but if it’s ever just me and one them that get paired with another group they always tell them they suck but I’m good and I tell them I’m not good I’ll shoot low 90s if it’s a good day since I’ve only broken 90 once I can’t say I’ll shoot high 80s on a good day.

I got an invite to play with my clubs president and his two friends, after exchanging hellos, they’re setting up the bet and one asks, “how well do you play?” Before I can answer, my president says, “he could be on tour” we all laughed. First hole lipped out a 65 yard shot for eagle...signed for a 66. 1 eagle, 6 birdies, and a double haha.

Not something I need to worry about! Golf is wonderful... :wave:

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Just read through all of the responses and I'm pretty shocked. I've worked hard to get down to a 2.6 and love trying to live up to it every time I put my peg in the ground. Maybe it's because I never played flighted anything, but to me, the entire point of playing is going out and trying to always take it lower than my last round and the pressure I put on myself to play well is equal to someone I've never met, thinking I'm going to fire a 75.

M3 Diamana B70X
M1 15* Diamana B80X / MP20 HMB 2 Iron AD-DI 105X

718TMB 3 Iron Modus 120X
MP20 MMC 4-PW Modus 120X
SM8 50,54,58 Modus 120X
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I don’t necessarily mind it although I’m not in a position where I’m the lowest too often (handicap ranges 9-12).

The debate about who benefits from strokes is an interesting one. You think it could be revamped in a way to factor in par potential on a given hole, versus overall scores. Is the high cap just consistently bad throughout the round, or is it half pars and half quads?

I’ve been doing well in league matches at the moment as I was sick the last couple years and rehabbing. I have the potential of a lower handicap, making 3 or 4 pars for 9 holes, but league handicap is about double as I’ve been shooting bogey golf overall for the 9 holes.

Once, and only once, I posted my real handicap at a tournament, a +4 at the time. I was the “lowest” handicap at the tourney, this I know because it was posted for everyone to see. Anyways, I’m looking at players below me and thinking “that’s funny, that 1 handicap shot -15 in a two-day tourney this year”.

I shot 79 day 1 and felt like a complete moron. I don’t play AM events anymore, but if I did, I’d never put lower than 0 ever again.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I hate being the A player in ABCD events at my club. I post all of my scores. My USGA index is 5.3 and I am a 6 handicap at my home course. Most of the scores that my index is based on have come in rounds played with friends and family. I almost never come close to scoring my handicap in one day events. I am as likely to shoot 88 as I am a 78 in these type events. For some reason most club golfers do not realize that a 6 handicap's average score is above 80. I guess I feel like I let the other players down. I admit I'd be comfortable as the B player in events. And.......at least once per round I miss a short putt, lay the sod over an approach, crazy hook a tee shot, and worst of all-----have the occasional shank. All embarrassing if you're the A player.

I don't mind it at all. We have a weekly ABCD two net ball tourney and I just try to guarantee a Par on every hole. If I make a few birdies it's a plus. The biggest help you can be is being positive to your teammates. Especially the C and D players as they are going to help you the most with strokes. Staying calm and encouraging them almost always brings their play up.

On the Handicap note, it's shocking at how many people don't know the process. I'd say at least 75% of golfers out there think if you are a 3 handicap you are expected to shoot a 75 every time. Most also seem to think that handicap is proportional to driving distance as well. I hit the ball a long ways off the tee and I do get the "There's no way you are a 4 handicap" comment pretty regularly. I normally just respond with "I can also hit it a long way into the woods too".

I have and will always enjoy playing with low handicap golfers, because I usually learn a few things from watching and/or through conversations.

Maybe one day I can add to this thread as being a low handicap. Until then I will live vicariously through you all and enjoy the stories! Keep it up and keep it alive!

This. I'm a 11 and I've definitely added some shots to my arsenal from having low cappers show me(without me even asking) while playing a laid back round, especially shots around the green

People expect me to light up the course. I’m more of a steady par guy...mostly ugly pars at that. LoL

I hate when I’m picked as the A player in a birdie game. I just start apologizing on the first tee. LoL

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Used to get to me at first but the more i got used to it the more i realized everyone is simply playing their own game. Gonna have some great and some bad rounds but you can usually still see some good in those bad days that shows a player is better just like if a player is having the day of their life its usually pretty obvious. I do partially agree with the system being unfair to low caps in match play but at my club we do full strokes and I'm giving strokes to everyone, from 1 up to 18 strokes and the matches do work out pretty even, if I play well or alright ill win or wash but if i play bad then I'm gonna lose. Only when you get a 12ish cap who goes on a 4-5 par run during 5 stroke holes does it ever get to me.

PGA of Canada Class A & TPI Golf Level 2 Certified
Callaway Paradym TD LS  9* -> Ventus Black 6X 
Callaway Paradym TD 15* to 16* -> Ventus Black 7X
Callaway Apex UW 21* -> Ventus Black 8X
Callaway Apex MB 2021 7-PW / Apex Pro 4-6 -> DG TI X100
Callaway JAWS Raw 50W/56X/60C(FT) -> DG TI S400
Toulon Las Vegas H7 - 33"
Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track 360

Before I had kids and life got real I got down to a +3. I never really minded the question, what’s your handicap? I always replied I am a decent golfer that’s just happy to be here. It always seems like if I threw out an actual number the people I would play with would act funny.

What really used to chap my butt was playing in any kind of handicapped tournament. It never failed that somebody I was giving 20 strokes to had the “round of their lives†and smoked the field. After a half a dozen tournaments with the same song and dance the “round of their life†ruined me on anything handicapped.

I will say this, it seemed like a lot of the higher handicapped golfers I played with didn’t know what good golf really looked like. If I wasn’t hitting driver 350 and throwing darts I must be “off my gameâ€. They thought I should hit driver every hole and attack every pin. Heaven forbid someone lay up off the tee to hit the fairway, hit approach shots into the fat part of a green, and two putt for par.

It's not in my nature to be
mysterious, but I cant talk about it
and I can't talk about why.

I play with diverse groups and I am probably low HC 50% of the time. When we play the small money game, guys up to a 22 are included and tough to beat them in net strokes but I usually do ok with a few birdies and closest to the pin games to come out ok. I honestly don’t think about the bets in anyway and just play.

When I play with the stronger groups, strokes are not involved and everything is straight up. I am not the best but can be the best on a given day so the competitive juices kick in and I want to win. These are the days when knowing HC matters to me. Going lower than someone better than you is FUN. Going lower or higher than someone worse than me on any given day does not register on my meter. I know it is a fickle game lol.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I have never played competively or been a member of a club as an adult. Never in all my years playing was anyone concerned about handicap. But golf was always just for fun, even though we were trying to score well. We just wrote down a score and that was it. If someone scored better, well they were probaby just better. We never bet on the game. Scoring was for personal reasons, but most really didn’t care, as long as they weren’t spraying their shots everywhere. I don’t think I’m unusual for the average casual golfer, I don’t think most people care. I just think WRX attracts more serious golfers who use the handicap system.

Now as far as being introduced to new players, I would rather they think I’m horrible, then prove them wrong than the other way around. Who needs that pressure and embarrassment? The few times I get to a course I want a relaxed pressure free round. Why would I torture myself on my free time?

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely hated it. 7.1 isn’t that great to me but to the avg weekend golfer they act like I’m a pro. My best round ever started with 4 birdies, two bogeys on the front. I’m playing with a guy I never met who’s amazed at my round so far(I was too but nothing to get excited about) We let a single join us and this guy can’t stop talking about how good I am, the shots I’d hit and kept saying things like”watch this he’s going to put it close.” Needless to say the back 9 wasn’t too hot. Still shot the lowest round of my career that day so it wasn’t a complete wash

915 D3 8.5* Attas 7x
CB4 16.5* Kuro Kage HBP 80x
Sldr 19* Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8x
4,5 AP2 714, 6-9MB 714 C-Taper S+
46.8F,50.12F,53.7S,58.8M SM5 C-Taper S+
Ping Karsten TR Zing 34"

That is absolutely disgusting. 39 strokes??? How the hell is that even possible to beat?

I thought the maximum men’s cap was 36? High course rating?

He was given a 36 index, and when applied to the 128 slope rating he got 39 strokes. Three out of the eight guys don't have official handicaps, and were assigned handicaps based on a few scorecards they handed in. So yeah, you can imagine the feelings of hopelessness going through my head.

I know the high cappers need the strokes, or it's pointless for them to even try. But the same goes for the lower cappers. This guy hardly plays any other golf throughout the year. At what point do you say "hey, how about you get out to practice, at least try to make yourself a better golfer before we just hand you a crap-ton of strokes"?

I've actually suggested flighting our trip, but with only 8 guys it probably doesn't make much sense.

I played a "money match" with a fellow low cap and a buddy who was an admitted hack. We figured him to be every bit of a 36. He ended up getting 2 strokes on a BUNCH of holes and cleaned both of our clocks. My low cap buddy was pissed.

Same guy joins my mens club and I get him in the first round of the club match play tournament (small club, only one 16 player flight that year).

I played light out! Best round to this day at that track (-1 69)... I lost three down.

I birdied a par three and lost the hole when he made a par net 1.

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

I don't "dread" things that are never going to happen.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

I hate being announced or known as the low handicap guy other than in my small circle of golfing buddies. I won the club championship one year and it messed me up until the next club championship tournament was held. As Club Champion I put pressure on my self to shoot lights out every time I teed it up. After all, I was Club Champion.