2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Anybody get their clubs stolen?

aliikane

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When England played Argentina in the 1998 world cup I was in the pub with some friends, the next day we were due to play and had packed the car ready to go early in the morning. When we go back to the house the car window was smashed and all the kit was gone. I don't know if I was more upset that England had lost or the clubs had been stolen.

When I was in community college, one day I had the bright idea to head to the course after class. When I got to the parking lot around noon, my CD player had been ripped out and my brand new Titleist had been taken. I was devastated and felt so violated. Drove around the neighborhood looking for someone running with a bag of clubs.

Sorry to hear of this. I think I would be more upset about the window being smashed but I do understand. What I don’t understand is someone breaking into a car for clubs that are so specific to a golfer. I can see a well known type driver. But then again, and not being insensitive, for a thief to know the value and find a willing buyer, what kind of person is this?. No I mean it’s not like guns. I can’t imagine a pawn shop giving much for golf clubs. I guess I’m asking what does your stereotypical greaseball thief do with a putter and hybrid club? Is there really a premium paid for this stuff used? Who buys golf clubs on the black market? We are generally an educated and upper crust type of people. Some loser approaches us at the gas station attempting to sell us a putter is not going to be successful. Serious questions here. I don’t get it. I realize most crimnals are idiots but this is beyond idiocy in my books.

If some loser approached me at a gas station wanting to sell a putter I admit I'd take a look at it. I'm just being honest. Probably wouldn't buy it but my curiosity would get the best of me.

If some loser approached me at a gas station wanting to sell a putter I admit I'd take a look at it. I'm just being honest. Probably wouldn't buy it but my curiosity would get the best of me.

Titleist TS3, Evenflow stiff, 9.5, A1
Callaway Rouge SZ w/AD-DI 7x, 13.5*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid 18*
Titleist AP3 718 4-pw (weakened 2*)
Bettinardi Studio 28 Arm Lock
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Titleist ProV1x (2017)

Will be sold for pennies on the dollar to get their next high. $50 will be enough for the entire bag - sold.

Remember the CCC? Bring it back, build more cells and incarcerate these animals.

Too many wolves allowed free to run among the sheep. Only stiff penalties will curb this nonsense. Until then it is only going to CONTINUE to get worse.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Will be sold for pennies on the dollar to get their next high. $50 will be enough for the entire bag - sold.

Remember the CCC? Bring it back, build more cells and incarcerate these animals.

Too many wolves allowed free to run among the sheep. Only stiff penalties will curb this nonsense. Until then it is only going to CONTINUE to get worse.

I agree. (CCC?)

We all know what the root cause is and without getting political, at least we have someone who seems to care. Hopefully things will improve.

Here in the Houston area the population growth is just unbearable. Fishing gear is a real concern and you really have to be careful where you park. There is no secret of the profile for these thieves.

I agree. (CCC?)

We all know what the root cause is and without getting political, at least we have someone who seems to care. Hopefully things will improve.

Here in the Houston area the population growth is just unbearable. Fishing gear is a real concern and you really have to be careful where you park. There is no secret of the profile for these thieves.

Civilian Conservation Corp. They built shiz back in the day.

Damn, sorry to hear about that! I always worry about stuff in my car these days, there are way too many easy ways for people to sell something for a quick buck now. I have a Subaru hatchback but it has a retractable cover to hide anything in the "trunk." If anyone stole mine they would be disappointed when they saw the Top Flite logo on most of my clubs.

On the new Facebook market place I see all types of Dewalt and other high end power tools for sale...... without the chargers. That tells me one thing, 100% stolen! So easy for scum bags to sell stuff quickly these days.

I hope who ever stole your stuff gets whats coming to them, like a 9i to the back of their skull!

Same thing out of the same back window of my 4Runner about 12 years back. On one rare night I'd left it in the driveway and not inside the garage

Worst was I had some extra clubs from a buddy at Tmade in there as well

I never leave my sticks in my car or truck anywhere at anytime. I know guys that go into bars or restaurants for an hour and find the same thing has happened

Youngsters selling for low cash for booze or drugs no doubt

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

No, they stay out of sight in the trunk.

I agree. (CCC?)

The clubs were out of sight. Covered. What is weird is that I had fishing rods as well next to the clubs and they left those. It is like they knew what was in there and knew what they wanted to take.

I never have, but a coworker had his bag stolen out of his garage in a nice neighborhood when I lived in NC, he lived in Cary IIRC. They ended up catching the thief, he was a fool local rich college kid, son of a CEO of a local tech company, he was stupid enough to put them up on eBay. My friend had an unusual mix of old and new Pings, clear-cut they were his. Don't remember what happened to the kid, probably nothing....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Anybody get their clubs stolen?

Got my clubs stolen out of my car today. Came back to my car and window was broken. Clubs gone. A hybrid and putter probably irreplaceable the way I had it set up. Ugh. Car wasn't at the golf course. Evil.

Man that sucks! I could pick my stuff out in a lineup quickly but tough to recoup.

my car has a trunk so that's where they go when I have errands to run- otherwise straight into the apartment.

Lagavulin62, reading between the lines of your post, and also without being political, no we all don't know what the root cause is, and your assertion that we have someone that seems to care is unfounded. Also, stating that there is no secret to the profile of these thieves is highly presumptuous. None of us knows anything about the thief. See Mike_Cs post as an example.

OP, sorry about your car and clubs. I've never had clubs stolen from my car, but had a brand new Fender Strat stolen from the trunk of my car. I always tell people never leave anything of value in your trunk for an extended period of time, and never leave anything in plain view that's worth more than $1.

Lagavulin62, reading between the lines of your post, and also without being political, no we all don't know what the root cause is, and your assertion that we have someone that seems to care is unfounded. Also, stating that there is no secret to the profile of these thieves is highly presumptuous. None of us knows anything about the thief. See Mike_Cs post as an example.

OP, sorry about your car and clubs. I've never had clubs stolen from my car, but had a brand new Fender Strat stolen from the trunk of my car. I always tell people never leave anything of value in your trunk for an extended period of time, and never leave anything in plain view that's worth more than $1.

Probably shouldn’t leave a guitar in the trunk regardless, especially in the summer. Extreme temperatures could cause issues.

This app makes me rethink leaving my clubs and cart in my trunk 24/7 from March til November.

That really stinks I'm sorry. Being stolen from is one of the worst feelings of all. I hope the theif gets caught and you get compensated from your insurance to try and find two new unicorns that can approach replacing your hybrid and putter.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

Played on a Sunday at Mountain Meadows golf course in LA. After my round I set my bag down to get a hot dog and watch Tiger down the stretch at the 2005 Masters. Just as I got my hot dog, I saw the greatest shot I had ever seen. Tiger chipping in for birdie on the 16th. The whole place went nuts. Everyone was screaming and high fiving each other. It was just awesome to witness it as it happened. Then I step out and see that my whole bag had been swiped. They were the TM bubbleshaft irons and some old Great Big Bertha woods. They were probably worthless on the resell market but to a 21 year old kid it was everything. Couldn't play golf the following summer and had to save for a long time to buy another set off of Ebay. I feel your pain OP. I hope karma is a real thing.

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

I agree. (CCC?)

We all know the root cause? Guess I'm not in the know, so, what is the root cause?

I'll bite on your "not getting political". How is "someone now that cares" going to change someone stealing golf clubs? Do you mean that previously, local police didn't care and now they do? Because, you know, this is a local issue - unless the "person who now cares" is going to make this a federal offense (which may happen since "someone that cares" sure does spend a lot of time on the course - much more than that "someone that cares" led everyone to believe he was going to).

Do you mean, now, all of a sudden, things will change when it comes to stealing golf clubs? If so, you truly are drinking the kool-aid.

Well we actually do know a little about the thief. He must know the value of those two clubs as that seems to be his only objective. Also the OP stated he left the fishing gear alone. That would almost completely eliminate my first profile guess. But I didn’t know this until the OP shared later. That said the thief in Mike C’s post would probably make more sense for a general profile. I know profiling hurts peoples feelings but it does offer clues we can use.

Broke into mine stole the car and the clubs, clubs were found in a local pawn shop. Car was found too a couple weeks later, apparently it had been turned into a mobile meth lab. Thank god for insurance, it’s definitely a pain in the butt and not fun but was made whole again. Now I don’t keep them in the car, they’re in the office or at home.

Back in the early 2000s, in the days before security cameras were cheap and widely used (no digital, only VHS-recording types), I played in a one-day member guest tournament at a club a co-worker belonged to. After the tournament, the club staff put all the guest bags at the bag drop by the parking lot - it was literally a pile of like 50 bags just sitting there in a location that was not visible from the pro shop and only barely visible from one small corner of the parking lot. Apparently some thugs showed up in a van, threw open the back doors, started throwing the golf bags in the back, and took off after grabbing about 20 of them, including mine. A member pulling into the lot saw the very end of this scene but couldn't act fast enough to get a plate number. There were no cameras focused on the area but the club apparently installed some after the incident. My clubs were never found/recovered. Fortunately my set at the time was not particularly valuable. But from then on I have refused to leave my clubs unattended at a bag drop and take efforts to avoid them.

Golf club theft seems to be on the rise with a rash of incidents occurring recently in the SF/Bay Area of CA - public as well as private courses included.

Of course, this is CA, so we're supposed to understand criminals have special needs so we should just look the other way...

What Is and What Should Never Be

Years back I rolled up my 3-wheel cart to the pro shop at a Tucson muni and went inside to pay like normal. Came back out, and my cart was gone. Mizzy 68s and a 30 year old Betti were in that bag/cart. Ran out to the parking lot looking for it. I'd have left the SOB for dead if I had found him. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't find him though, given my state of mind at the time.

Never bought another set of Mizzys after that. And the Betti was a one-off so couldn't replace that either. I was SO pissed... :(

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

I had mine stolen out of my '05 Ford Escape in my driveway back in the day. I had a cover for the "trunk" area but a buddy and I had returned from the range and I dropped him off. To this day i'm not sure if he left the cover open and I didn't check it. Worked out okay with insurance though.

Now I have a '17 Honda Ridgeline that has an actual trunk in the truck bed and my bag fits in there perfectly. I still rarely ever leave them in the trunk even though thieves probably don't know about the trunk in a truck because of that one time that scarred me. Usually my clubs are now sitting safely in my garage unless I'm going to, or returning from the course.

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch