ddetts' Swing Journey - 2020 Goals & Updated Swing Progress pg. 17

ddetts

I recently attended one of Monte's clinics (they're awesome BTW and would recommend highly) and decided I wanted to sort of journal my progress along with the struggles and successes along the way. Shoutout to Schnee for already doing this and doing it so well, his thread is an awesome follow. This thread probably won't be nearly as exciting as Schnee's mainly because I don't update equipment that often and I also don't have the travel & food adventures to post either

Background

Played golf a fair amount growing up, but mostly occasionally with my parents and never had any instruction. Pretty much quit playing around junior high because I was playing other sports and because I worked (custom harvesting) the entire summer away from home. I got a 2nd hand set of clubs (TM Burner driver, Cleveland CG2 irons - pretty sweet set all in all) my mom purchased from a friend who was an avid player and that sort of got me back into it. Around my 2nd year of college I got invited to play, went out with borrowed clubs and remembered how much I enjoyed playing. Needless to say, I got the bug & purchased a junior pass/membership at the local muni's in Fargo, ND where I was living.

I went from not breaking 100 with mostly slices and crummy shots to 90s, then 80s, and then shooting my first round in the 70s in 2 or 3 years. This was all using the magazine instruction articles, a lot of range time and a lot of short game practice. When I moved from Fargo to Sioux Falls in 2009 I was almost always shooting under 85 and having around 5-10 rounds a year in the mid-high 70s. My long game was pretty good as I hit it pretty far for my size (pretty much always played the tips) and was a pretty solid ball striker and could hit fades/draws with pretty good consistency. If I struggled anywhere it was short game and putting.

Game has gradually got worse over the last 6-7 years ago. Now my short game and being really good at managing misses is pretty much all that is keeping me from shooting in the 90s. I have major inconsistency issues - I hit balls all over the face (sometimes off the grooves on the toe), topped shots from time to time, etc. I pretty much can't hit my 3 wood off the deck and I've tried a few different ones over the last two years. I play terrible in the wind because my shots go nowhere which I can only assume is due to excessive spin cause by my swing faults.

My main miss is left, mostly straight pulls and pull draws with the occasional block (having a two way miss is fun!).

If I had to guess, I could pin my decline on a couple of things. First, chasing both distance (my ego loved being the longest hitter in my group whenever I played) and probably even more so was chasing the elusive push draw. Second, would be a few injuries. I broke my big toe in my trail foot and probably came back too soon (only about 5 weeks without golf). I think this started a habit of not getting off my right foot. In 2016 I had two surgeries on my right hip. First was a core decompression which caused me to miss the entire year of golf. Second was having that same hip replaced that December. I've been trying to right the ship since then.

Swings Before Clinic

Below are a couple of swings from early in the season about a month before I attended Monte's clinic. Apologies for the videos being far away.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Issues identified at clinic

• Grip is too weak, and mostly the right hand grip getting on top of the club. Need to really strengthen right hand grip - this has been very hard for me
  • The weak grip was causing me to cup/extend left wrist in the downswing
  • Backswing is too long, and arms overrun after shoulders stop

I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but was hesitant and to put myself out there as I kept thinking I'd find some magic little thing and my game would get back to where it was. That said, I welcome any feedback, thoughts, or just comments in general. I'm tired of being a 20 handicap on my full swing and like a 5 handicap on my short game.

And yes, I am and will continue to work with Monte.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

So many things going for you - young, athletic and Monte! Having seen it up close and what you two were working on, I predict lots of good things for your golf game in the coming months/seasons!

As for Schnee (love the guy) - although I truly admire everything club ho, travel and particularly food - your journey could prove to be more economical! I like that diner in downtown Sioux Falls, even thought the food is nothing fancy, it's good - my daughters still mourn the demise of Valentino's (me not as much, lol). Don't discount those Sioux Falls food options! Plus you don't have to travel hardly at all to hook up with Ryan, a quiet Sioux Falls golf legend in the making.

Good luck and keep at it!

So many things going for you - young, athletic and Monte! Having seen it up close and what you two were working on, I predict lots of good things for your golf game in the coming months/seasons!

Thanks for the kind words Greg - it was nice meeting you at the clinic. Change is hard and progress can be slow & frustrating. It's going to take plenty of time to undo 6 years of ingrained bad habits!

I've been really working hard at strengthening my grip and shortening up my backswing, but wow do old habits die hard. I've been going to the range a couple of times a week with the sole purpose of really focusing on my grip and hitting a lot of half swing 7/8 irons to try to ingrain the feelings. As evidenced in the videos, the weak grip still creeps in and the arm overrun on the backswing is still there.

I feel like when I do get the strong grip right at setup, I either hold on cause my mind thinks it's going to snap left or I make current stall/flip release anyway and hit a sniping pull hook.

Monte proved to me on video a number of times at the clinic that what I feel is a left-arm parallel backswing is what should actually be my full swing backswing, but here I am still swinging wayyy long even though I felt like I was making a 3/4 swing in these videos.

Swings 7/10/18 - got a new setup to film with my phone, didn't quite get the height and angle on the camera setup perfect

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I forgot that I was going to add Monte's feedback for me, based on the videos from yesterday:

"Grip and long backswing causing all the issues.

You are leading with lower body big time, but your arms are tailing so much, body has to stall to wait for them. Will send you a screen shot in a sec."

"First still should be end of backswing.

2nd is actual end. Look how there is no more shoulder turn just arm swing.

3rd shot. Red lines are where arms are, and green is where they should be.

If you led out more with Lower body and didnt stall, you’d miss the ball."

I can definitely tell I'm not synching up due to the arm overrun, as it feels like I am flailing at the ball. Going to try to do a lot of mirror work today and see if I can work in the feel of where to stop on the way back.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Thanks for the kind words Greg - it was nice meeting you at the clinic. Change is hard and progress can be slow & frustrating. It's going to take plenty of time to undo 6 years of ingrained bad habits!

6 years...pffft. Ain't nothin. Try 40.

Keep at it. monte's post elsewhere about slow and steady is dead on.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

For sure, that's the mindset I need and am finally working to apply. It was hard mentally to hit slow, half swings and still is even though I know it's the only way to actually feel what's happening.

I've spent the last couple of years thinking I'd find a quick fix or lightning in a bottle. I managed to shoot a couple pretty good rounds last year and the year before, I imagine that was nothing more than a matter of my short game peaking and managing my flip really well.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I forgot that I was going to add Monte's feedback for me, based on the videos from yesterday:

You are leading with lower body big time, but your arms are tailing so much, body has to stall to wait for them. Will send you a screen shot in a sec."

I can definitely tell I'm not synching up due to the arm overrun, as it feels like I am flailing at the ball. Going to try to do a lot of mirror work today and see if I can work in the feel of where to stop on the way back.

Things that happen to me when I work on less arm runoff - may be useful to you. My sense of timing is all thrown off. And more importantly, my sense of where the power/speed will come from is threatened. These are big-time issues for me. Getting better over time.

My point is, when you make this kind of change, it's not just the mechanics and feel that get re-learned. It's your whole 'theory' of the swing and how it (doesn't!) works. At least that's how it works for me.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Things that happen to me when I work on less arm runoff - may be useful to you. My sense of timing is all thrown off. And more importantly, my sense of where the power/speed will come from is threatened. These are big-time issues for me. Getting better over time.

My point is, when you make this kind of change, it's not just the mechanics and feel that get re-learned. It's your whole 'theory' of the swing and how it (doesn't!) works. At least that's how it works for me.

Couldn't agree more with this. One of the things I recall from the clinic that struck me the most was about wasted motion, what feels powerful vs what is powerful and efficiency. I definitely struggle with the sense of where power/speed will come from as well, my brain seems to be hard-wired to associate the long swing with power.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Couldn't agree more with this. One of the things I recall from the clinic that struck me the most was about wasted motion, what feels powerful vs what is powerful and efficiency. I definitely struggle with the sense of where power/speed will come from as well, my brain seems to be hard-wired to associate the long swing with power.

How I have dealt with this is, once I buy into the validity of the new way, I simply permit myself to go thru the frustrating period of not getting the new way and start looking for the alternatives to the old way based on the new way. They emerge, but I had/have to find them and they are new feels/beliefs so I had/have to wander in the dark a little.

But, yep, your brain is wired to the long swing. That's ok. You can re-wire it.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Just keep trying to be better than you were last week and the week before. As much as you want to hit full shots, you are really going to have to work on hitting 7 iron about 80 yards from a short backswing position. Get something setup at home so you can do this for 15 minutes every day. For me change happens faster if I do it as slower speed initially.

Keep filming yourself and do what Monte has prescribed! It will come!

If you want to meet up at the range sometime, let me know. I'm going to mostly be on vacation until the end of July but will be around in August.

I'd absolutely take you up on that! When you're back from vacation get in touch on what works.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

As for Schnee (love the guy) - although I truly admire everything club ho, travel and particularly food - your journey could prove to be more economical! I like that diner in downtown Sioux Falls, even thought the food is nothing fancy, it's good - my daughters still mourn the demise of Valentino's (me not as much, lol). Don't discount those Sioux Falls food options! Plus you don't have to travel hardly at all to hook up with Ryan, a quiet Sioux Falls golf legend in the making.

Valentino’s was awful! I am too much of a knucklehead that doesn’t score as well as I should for the shots I can hit. Thanks for the kind words though ?

Yep - 40+!

Valentino’s was awful! I am too much of a knucklehead that doesn’t score as well as I should for the shots I can hit. Thanks for the kind words though ?

I will make sure my daughters know that "locals" agree with me, lol!

FYI, having my Jeep soft top repaired in SF and will be picking it up in a couple weeks - if you have any good SF food suggestions my wife and I are all ears.

At my last range session I came to the realization that I too was swinging the club too far back. I took a slow swing while looking it at the shaft the whole time and I got it to parallel, which is what I've been trying to do with the driver (which is a good thing, right?).

Anyway, having previously watched videos of Tiger, Rory, et al hitting 6 irons, I noticed they did not bring the club that far back. So I attempted to replicate this, with excellent results.

It felt REALLY weird because I felt like I was hitting pitch shots with my 6 iron (that's my all-purpose practice iron) in the sense that the swing felt so short. And my brain felt like I needed to rush the downswing to make up for the shorter distance the club was traveling. Then it felt like I was really screwing up my tempo.

So the end result was a shorter backswing coulped with what felt like a slower downswing...but man...I was hitting the ball NICE.

Somebody please tell me this is also what you experience....

Valentino's was awful! I am too much of a knucklehead that doesn't score as well as I should for the shots I can hit. Thanks for the kind words though

FYI, having my Jeep soft top repaired in SF and will be picking it up in a couple weeks - if you have any good SF food suggestions my wife and I are all ears.

I'd be happy to provide suggestions, what type of food or restaurant (quick service, fine dining, etc) are you looking for?

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Well tonight at my match play league was a mixed bag. I had a few really nice swings, some longer than I am used to but I also had some really poor ones that cost me a hole as well.

I widened my stance a little bit, and got my hands forward a touch more in my setup which I felt made it easier to setup with the stronger grip. It also felt as if the wider stance forced me to make a shorter backswing. I didn't take any video, but am going to try to work those into my next practice session as I feel they were moving me in the right direction.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Been working on setup changes today during breaks - stronger grip, wider stance, hands forward more and a little more tilt. I'm going to take it to the range tonight and hopefully get more comfortable with it.

Amazing what feel like drastic changes are only slight, but I think comparing to the videos above the setup looks much better. What do you think?

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I was able to get in a range session last night, after a 3 day weekend away from home didn't allow for any practice. So haven't been able to spend as much time working on things as I would've liked, but here's the latest.

I'm still struggling with some things, mainly that even only small/hardly noticeable changes feel like drastic changes. My mind and body are really struggling with the old feel isn't real concept. I think I need to work on really exaggerating more than I have been.

• Backswing - still some arm overrun but I do feel like I've dialed it back a little from where it was.
  • Flat shoulder turn - looks like at the top I have a really flat shoulder plane, perhaps just a result of the arm overrun pulling me up and out of posture
  • Right hand grip - still not getting this into a good strong position every time. Problem is probably two fold: 1) it still feels uncomfortable and my brain keeps trying to convince me it's not "right" and 2) I think even when I initially get a good grip set I am subtly re-gripping weaker when I setup/waggle. Even when I do feel like I get the grip right, my hands still want to flip
  • Sequence/transition - don't feel like I am transitioning and rotating well. Hips and shoulders seem to be pretty square at impact like they are at setup.

8i Face On 7/16/18

8i Down The Line 7/16/18

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Managed to play 18 today, and my long game was actually pretty good compared to where it has been. I hit a handful of really nice shots, and plenty of acceptable shots. There were two shots that really cost me, and my putting was atrocious. Probably the worst putting round I have had this year.

• Shot 1: Hole #4 par 5 with water up the right starting at about 240 yards. Hit my 2i/hybrid to stay short of the water but snap hooked it OB left. 2nd shot from the tee was pretty good, but made a mess coming in for a triple.
  • Shot 2: Hole #14 short par 4, uphill and pretty straight. Again, took 2i and hit a serviceable in left rough. Terrible lie, looked like not mowed in 2 weeks and in a tangled mess and about 125 out. I read the lie as being a hack out, and chopped a PW. It rocketed over the green, hit the downslope and kicked OB. Ended up with a double.

I had probably 6 putts inside 7-8 feet that I lipped out, and a handful of other longer putts that were just bad. The bright side is that the full swing was much improved over previous rounds. The focus on the setup (wider stance, hands more forward and making sure to get my grip set right) really seemed to set in on many shots today.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Did Monte say anything about adding more secondary tilt? Or did you do that on your own (indoor pics)?

If he did say to add ST, I would note there was more ST in your indoor photo than the subsequent FO still from a later video.

I agree with Hawkeye77: You have so much to work with, and you're doing it with the right instructor. You'll get better fast.

Valentino's was awful! I am too much of a knucklehead that doesn't score as well as I should for the shots I can hit. Thanks for the kind words though ��

I'd be happy to provide suggestions, what type of food or restaurant (quick service, fine dining, etc) are you looking for?

A darn good lunch that isn't a fast food chain!

And I did get a recommendation for Spezia which looks to be a great dinner option we will try.

Did Monte say anything about adding more secondary tilt? Or did you do that on your own (indoor pics)?

If he did say to add ST, I would note there was more ST in your indoor photo than the subsequent FO still from a later video.

I agree with Hawkeye77: You have so much to work with, and you're doing it with the right instructor. You'll get better fast.

He hasn't mentioned secondary tilt specifically. Right now my two priorities from the clinic were to get my grip stronger (specifically the right hand, which was getting super weak at times) and shorten my backswing to stop the arm overrun.

I don't know exactly why, but adding the secondary tilt and setting my hands further forward (left hip area) seems to make the stronger grip more comfortable/acceptable for me. So that's the main driver behind the added secondary tilt in the photos and how I've been setting up lately.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

No updated swings yet, just some updates.

Latest Round - 7/10/18

I actually hit the ball fairly well tee to green again, just a couple of costly mistakes that really wrecked this round from being my best in awhile:

• #3 par 4 short, sharp dogleg right- Hit Driver, went a bit through the dogleg as it drew when I didn't want it to. Had about 105 left, but tree trouble so I hit a really nice punch 6i to the right back of the green and pin was back left. Putt of about 40 feet, which I proceeded to putt off the green and then took double.
    • Note - I switched putters this round and the insert on my old Odyssey #7 isn't as fast as the insert on my TP Mullen. So I'm blaming on lack of feel for the speed...

[*]#4 par 5 slight left at the hold - Decided to lay up with my 2i (water starts at around 245 for a right miss) and proceeded to hook it OB left. Was on the back left in 5, and 3 putted for a triple. Again, my first putt was too firm and went about 8 feet past and I of course didn't make the come backer.

[*]#8 par 3 190y - hooked my 5i bad enough that it go into some bushes, I had a small opening on the ground to a back pin and basically putted with my 3w. Solid contact, but just too much and rolled off the green. Hit a pretty nice pitch, that checked up hard from the rough and missed a 6 footer to end up with double.

[*]#14 short par 4 - flared my drive right in the trees but I actually had plenty of room to hit a high full shot. I got lazy and couldn't see the stakes for distance and the entire green was blocked by some evergreens so I couldn't get my laser on a target. Just pulled the wrong club and came up about 20 yards short.

Positives - On the back side I really got comfortable with the putter and had 12 putts, which could've been 10 as I missed another two putts inside six feet. I made some really nice swings but the old flip move still showed up a few times.

Finally, I've decided to register for the Amateur Championship in my state in addition to playing the club championship at my home course. I don't have a lot of tournament experience, and certainly nothing at the state level. Obviously being in the middle of working on changes I don't have high expectations but the experience I think will be great. Playing a 3 day tournament will probably expose some flaws (certainly swing wise, but also mental and physical/fitness aspects that I may not be aware of).

It also sounds like our club championship will be a 2 day event this year as well. The added incentive for this tournament is a few top finishers qualify for a Ryder Cup style event between a few clubs in our area. My league partner qualified last year and said it was a blast, so I really want to make that team this year.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

7/24/18 Round

Got in another round, and I just seem to be stuck in my progress scoring wise. This round was a little different than the previous few, I managed my game pretty well and didn't score worse than a bogey. The bad is I didn't take advantage of a few good birdie opportunities and again missed a couple of putts inside 8 feet to save par.

Pros:

• My good swings are getting better - not as much curve and picking up distance. I had two 7 irons that carried ~175 yards, both of which went long (one back of green and another over the green) as I've been playing 165 as my 7i stock yardage
  • The efficiency of the good swings has me feeling less fatigued and less strain on my body.
  • The GIRs/Fairways hit yesterday are lower than I'd like but could've been 2 higher for each as I had a couple drives only a foot or two off the fairway and a couple of approaches that were fringe.
  • I'm getting more comfortable with the stronger right hand grip and how I'm setting up.

Cons:

• The stall/flip still shows up from time to time and it cost me twice yesterday on par 3s. Pull hooked the tee shot left into water on two occasions. Saved bogey both times to limit the damage
  • Still getting a feel for longer putts with the putter switch, the difference in speed from the insert on my TP Mullen hasn't sunk in yet and I again blasted a couple long putts 10 ft past the hole which resulted in 3 putts
    • Still too many putts. Burned a few edges of cups today - a combination of playing too much break all day and hitting putts just a little too firm with the new putter.

[*]Topped my 3 wood from the tee box - with a swing that felt rushed and flippy. that's a shot I'd really like to eliminate

I'm hoping to video a couple of swings tonight as I warm up for our 9 hole match play league to see how things are looking now.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen