2019 PGA Tour Schedule

QMany

Is that 3 fewer events than this year?

Two of them (Houston and Greenbrier) will be back in the fall of the 2019-2020 schedule.

I wonder about the Houston event. If they're having trouble getting a sponsor for a tournament with the current (pretty good) spot on the schedule, what makes them think they'll be able to sell an event during football season?

In the long run, I wonder if we'll end up seeing more CIMB/CJ Cup-type events in the fall.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And there's a month of nothingness between the US and British Open.

June 10-16: U.S. Open (Pebble Beach Golf Links)

June 17-23: Travelers Championship (TPC River Highlands)

June 24-30: Rocket Mortgage Classic (Detroit Golf Club)

July 1-7: 3M Open (TPC Twin Cities)

July 8-14: John Deere Classic (TPC Deere Run)

July 15-21: The Open Championship (Royal Portrush Golf Club)

Hopefully that means the Irish Open and Scottish Open might get more top players now - assuming they keep a similar sched to this season.

Could definitely see more of the European players hanging out over there for 3 weeks.

The European Tour has already moved the European BMW PGA Championship from May to September. It is possible they try to move a Rolex tournament into September as well to help ease scheduling for the Euros.

I wonder what this means for Ryder Cup selection in 2020. Is the US going to pick right after the Tour Championship or do they wait a couple of weeks for the first tournaments of the wraparound schedule? I imagine Europe will use the new position of their flagship tournament to double as the "final shot" to make the team.

Only 3 playoff events? Sad to see no Houston, at least for this season.

Yeah, it is a little quirky with the wraparound season. It is my understanding we'll see Houston and Greenbriar in Fall 2019, as part of the 2020 season.

Yeah, note that there's no September up there. It's not like they're going to take the whole month off. The weather at the Greenbriar is going to be way nicer in September than it ever is in July, so that's a good move IMO. I don't know Houston well enough to guess at spring vs. fall weather.

It's witheringly humid, just one season is closer to Christmas. Even the mosquitoes sweat like hell and wear bug repellant.

Depends when they have it in the fall, if it moves into October you can get some beautiful weather here, though it can still get warm. September would just be brutally hot.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I am a traditionalist.

I like the Masters in April to kick off the year. I like the players in May. I like the US Open in June (although I wouldn't mind it if they moved it to the end of August or the beginning of September to make it the culminating tournament of the year). I like the Open Championship in July. If the US Open couldn't be played at the end of the summer (where it was played back in the days of Bobby Jones), then I liked the PGA as the last big championship of the year - preferably as late in August as possible.

I don't like the whole Fed-X cup thing and the Tour Championship. East Lake is a nice course, but not worthy enough for the season ending tournament every year.

Give me the US Open at the end of August or the beginning of September and I think that it holds up just fine to football.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Yeah, it is a little quirky with the wraparound season. It is my understanding we'll see Houston and Greenbriar in Fall 2019, as part of the 2020 season.

Yeah, note that there's no September up there. It's not like they're going to take the whole month off. The weather at the Greenbriar is going to be way nicer in September than it ever is in July, so that's a good move IMO. I don't know Houston well enough to guess at spring vs. fall weather.

It's witheringly humid, just one season is closer to Christmas. Even the mosquitoes sweat like hell and wear bug repellant.

Depends when they have it in the fall, if it moves into October you can get some beautiful weather here, though it can still get warm. September would just be brutally hot.

It's easy, pick a weekend where the Cowboys, Texans, Longhorns and Aggies all have an off week.

I am a traditionalist.

I like the Masters in April to kick off the year. I like the players in May. I like the US Open in June (although I wouldn't mind it if they moved it to the end of August or the beginning of September to make it the culminating tournament of the year). I like the Open Championship in July. If the US Open couldn't be played at the end of the summer (where it was played back in the days of Bobby Jones), then I liked the PGA as the last big championship of the year - preferably as late in August as possible.

I don't like the whole Fed-X cup thing and the Tour Championship. East Lake is a nice course, but not worthy enough for the season ending tournament every year.

Give me the US Open at the end of August or the beginning of September and I think that it holds up just fine to football.

I'm a traditionalist too. That's why I'm happy the TPC is back in March where it belongs. It was played in March from 1977-2006.

Not a fan of Eastlake, I understand its a Bobby Jones design, I get that, but for a season ender its underwhelming

He was a member but he didn't design it.

https://www.eastlakegolfclub.com/about-us/history/

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

I am a traditionalist.

I was wrong on the above. In 1930 the Open Chamipionship was in June and the US Open was in July.

The US Amateur was in September. MY bad.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I'm curious what they're going to do about a yearly Boston tournament. Seems strange that they're going with every other year (Northern Trust: alternating between Liberty National and TPC Boston). AFAIK the Boston tournament has always been well supported, never had a problem attracting sponsors, etc. Maybe a September date that alternates between Boston and NJ opposite years as the Northern Trust?

The Travelers isn't too bad of a drive for Boston area fans.

True enough, it just seems strange to only have a Boston stop every other year. Also Jay Monahan was the tournament director when it launched as the Deutsche Bank so I'm surprised to see it go--you'd think if there was any tournament that needed an advocate it'd be impossible to find someone better placed than Monahan.

I saw some comments suggesting this is why they are rotating it to Boston instead of just having it in NY/NJ every year.

Up here in Canada the talk about the RBC has been non-stop. The new date is better, but not the best, we won't be getting DJ, Phil, Tiger, Spieth, etc. and that kinda sucks.

For those asking about Vancouver, the RBC is pumping millions into this event, purse is going up one more million next year, and they want the event in Ontario.

Up here in Canada the talk about the RBC has been non-stop. The new date is better, but not the best, we won't be getting DJ, Phil, Tiger, Spieth, etc. and that kinda sucks.

For those asking about Vancouver, the RBC is pumping millions into this event, purse is going up one more million next year, and they want the event in Ontario.

I am thinking DJ's RBC deal will bring him back

Copperhead is the best course on that Florida swing. Such a shame.

Eesh, you're right. I missed that at first glance. I take back my Canadian Open as most screwed event comment. Cannot see too many who will compete in the Matchplay showing up an Innisbrook with that lead up and then the Masters on the horizon.

At least RBC gets you a decent stable, who's Valspar sponsor? ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm curious what they're going to do about a yearly Boston tournament. Seems strange that they're going with every other year (Northern Trust: alternating between Liberty National and TPC Boston). AFAIK the Boston tournament has always been well supported, never had a problem attracting sponsors, etc. Maybe a September date that alternates between Boston and NJ opposite years as the Northern Trust?

Weather in Houston could be better or just drier in September. Guys played the Houston open prior to Augusta as a tune up. They overseeded the houston course and attempted to make it play close to Augusta.

Memphis in August is going to be a real peach.

Why do they not attempt to get something going in the Pacific Northwest?

Weather in Houston could be better or just drier in September. Guys played the Houston open prior to Augusta as a tune up. They overseeded the houston course and attempted to make it play close to Augusta.

Memphis in August is going to be a real peach.

Why do they not attempt to get something going in the Pacific Northwest?

It's only a couple hours more flying, but there does seem to be a real mental hurdle - as much as geographical - to having a PNW event. They'd need to move the Reno event or Napa event up there, to even have a chance, otherwise no chance.

We had a tourney in the Vancouver suburbs for a few years back in the 90s (Brandel's only win!) but they always struggled to get good players, except for those who liked fishing.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Another area of condensed tournaments is at the end. The top players are looking at this finish in July/ August

British Open

WGC-Memphis

Wyndham (Olympics)

Fed Ex Playoff

Fed Ex Playoff

Fed Ex Playoff

That's five weeks out of six for the top 30.

If you play Scotland like Phil, Rickie, Reed, Hideki and Kuchar are this week, that's six out seven.

That's not all that different than what we have now, even with the FedEx stuff shifting closer to the Open and the PGA moving. With the FedEx at four tournaments you were getting guys skipping one of them. That's a really bad look for the tour, so they go to three FedEx events going forward, but it's still 5/6 under either the old or new schedule. The difference is with the new schedule you have a choice whether to skip the Wyndham or Memphis, whereas before lots of people skipped Wyndham and some high profile names blew off one of the FedExes, especially if they had a commitment to the Wyndham.

Right now, IIRC, it's:

PGA

Wyndham

FedEx

FedEx

FedEx

FedEx

The new setup is marginally better IMO, though I still think both "playoffs" and a "wrap around season" are dumb ideas that lead to these silly scheduling compromises. But hey, follow the money I suppose.

The Fed Ex Cup is only going to be 3 weeks...that's one of the major changes so they're not competing with the NFL/College Football.

How many times since they had the thing was the fed ex cup decided at the third tournament?

Re Pac NW and other "off areas" - I don't know what motivates the tour guys to pick where they play. Me personally you wouldn't have to twist my arm too much to get me on a plan for a week of golf in Vancouver or Banff or Coure de Alene (sp?). But I am also not trying to fly out with my swing guy, my psychologist, my nutritionist, my massage therapist, my short game guru, my wife, my kids, the nanny, my side-piece, my caddie, his wife, his side-piece, etc.

I know they b**** about going to places that are different and not a typical drive it, hit an approach, putt it course. I really don't think but about 5% of them have the capacity to actually play golf. The rest are just hitting shots to targets told to them.

they lost me when they went with a wrap-around season,,,,never made sense to me. jan 1 has always been the start of a new year/season for me.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

I am thinking DJ's RBC deal will bring him back

Phil usually likes to play the week before a major historically so a good chance he would play as well.

I'd still like to see better regionalization of the events. There's a west coast swing and a Florida swing. I'd like to see the Texas events grouped together (along with retaining the Houston Open), the mid-Atlantic and midwest events grouped together, and the NE events and Canadian grouped together. Also, I'd like to see the FedEx Championship played over Labor Day weekend. While it would overlap the college football season, the pro season doesn't get underway until the following weekend.

I'd still like to see better regionalization of the events. There's a west coast swing and a Florida swing. I'd like to see the Texas events grouped together (along with retaining the Houston Open), the mid-Atlantic and midwest events grouped together, and the NE events and Canadian grouped together. Also, I'd like to see the FedEx Championship played over Labor Day weekend. While it would overlap the college football season, the pro season doesn't get underway until the following weekend.

Understand your thoughts but with all the NetJets/private planes, does it matter?