The Arm Swing Illusion / Jim Waldron's Swing Philosophy

Kiwi2

Kiwi2:

You wrote:

If we isolate the arm action from the pivot, they initially move at a 45 degree angle to the chest towards the

target line until, for a right handed golfer, the right arm reaches waist

high.

Is that what you meant to say?

Steve

Yes.

The pivot action is being disregarded here. The explanation relates to the arms independently. It is the only way I am aware of that the illusion can be explained. That is to isolate the arm movement.

Jim prefers the term move away rather than takeaway. In his model there is no independent arm action in the first part of this movement. The term move away implies a body motion. The belly is used to initiate the backswing after a rebound from what he calls the bump. The arms don’t come into it yet. There is no pushing away of the arms at that stage. The arms will move however as a result of connection of the left arm. The independent arm motion kicks in when the hands reach the right hand side of the right leg .

The explanation was not describing the takeaway or backswing.

I think I agree...these things can be hard to explain in a paragraph. The takeaway is coordinated with the torso and arms? If that's what he's saying I agree. This would retard an arm-only back swing and promote weight xfer to the inside of the right foot.

Holy crap! I read a lot of this thread many weeks ago and couldn't grasp the concept. I'm a low single digit handicap and have always struggled with an inside, under the plane takeaway. I never lacked for turn in the backswing. But my shoulders always rotated flat. In the early 2000s I worked with a very good instructor who helped me with a straight back takeaway for about 2 feet and then work the club up with right elbow bend, all combined with limited hip rotation early. This worked really well but if my tempo was off I would set the club up late and get too much around. When i was able to hit balls 5 days a week i had much more consistent tempo.

To combat this, I moved to a fade last year to get steeper on the way back. Things were good until early March when the steeper backswing got too steep and started to get a bit disconnected...think too much lift in relation to turn.

Well, in my never ending endeavor to find out how my right elbow controlled my success, I stumbled on 2 things - Omar uresti's swing trigger and a video explaining how the arms simply move up and down (like chopping wood) as the body turns. I took that philosophy to the range yesterday...

Turn and lift...no funky business with the hands, wrists, right elbow hinge, keeping the right shoulder high, etc. Just turn and lift.

I think something g that works generally works right away or it's not a good fix. Using the feeling of lifting my arms up, literally feeling like they lift up in front of me WHILE I turned, rotated, etc...pure crisp contact, ball started dead on line and feel left or right depending on my hand path.

I believe I now understand that the arms don't move around the body. I've always thought that was what they did. I need more time with this feeling, but wow, completely seems to have simplified what I've struggled with for years.

Holy crap! I read a lot of this thread many weeks ago and couldn't grasp the concept. I'm a low single digit handicap and have always struggled with an inside, under the plane takeaway. I never lacked for turn in the backswing. But my shoulders always rotated flat. In the early 2000s I worked with a very good instructor who helped me with a straight back takeaway for about 2 feet and then work the club up with right elbow bend, all combined with limited hip rotation early. This worked really well but if my tempo was off I would set the club up late and get too much around. When i was able to hit balls 5 days a week i had much more consistent tempo.

To combat this, I moved to a fade last year to get steeper on the way back. Things were good until early March when the steeper backswing got too steep and started to get a bit disconnected...think too much lift in relation to turn.

Well, in my never ending endeavor to find out how my right elbow controlled my success, I stumbled on 2 things - Omar uresti's swing trigger and a video explaining how the arms simply move up and down (like chopping wood) as the body turns. I took that philosophy to the range yesterday...

Turn and lift...no funky business with the hands, wrists, right elbow hinge, keeping the right shoulder high, etc. Just turn and lift.

I think something g that works generally works right away or it's not a good fix. Using the feeling of lifting my arms up, literally feeling like they lift up in front of me WHILE I turned, rotated, etc...pure crisp contact, ball started dead on line and feel left or right depending on my hand path.

I believe I now understand that the arms don't move around the body. I've always thought that was what they did. I need more time with this feeling, but wow, completely seems to have simplified what I've struggled with for years.

Great to hear about your ballstriking improvement, G. Your report is fairly typical of a golfer who gets the first glimpse of insight into the ASI concept.

Think of it like this. You have Rotors and Levers in the golf swing. Pivot of hips, core and torso are Rotors, and right elbow, upper arms in the shoulder sockets and both wrists are the Levers.

Rotors move the Levers in the vortex 3D shape motion, mainly away from and towards the Target in the horizontal dimension, but also a little bit in the up/down dimension and the away from the chest/toward the chest dimension or width.

Levers move themselves on the backswing with slight upper arms in sockets pushaway motion, right elbow folding to 75-90 degrees and wrists c0cking/hinging. Most of this independent Lever motion is in the up/down dimension and the width dimension, and only a tiny bit in the horizontal dimension.

Golfers under the spell of the ASI get this backwards and they "see" the pros arms moving themselves mostly in the horizontal dimension around the body. They do not "see" reality which is the V shape arm motion in front of the chest - mainly up/down.

Blending the up/down with the "around" or circular motion of the Pivot is the key to understanding the ASI application.

Great to hear about your ballstriking improvement, G. Your report is fairly typical of a golfer who gets the first glimpse of insight into the ASI concept.

Think of it like this. You have Rotors and Levers in the golf swing. Pivot of hips, core and torso are Rotors, and right elbow, upper arms in the shoulder sockets and both wrists are the Levers.

Rotors move the Levers in the vortex 3D shape motion, mainly away from and towards the Target in the horizontal dimension, but also a little bit in the up/down dimension and the away from the chest/toward the chest dimension or width.

Levers move themselves on the backswing with slight upper arms in sockets pushaway motion, right elbow folding to 75-90 degrees and wrists c0cking/hinging. Most of this independent Lever motion is in the up/down dimension and the width dimension, and only a tiny bit in the horizontal dimension.

Golfers under the spell of the ASI get this backwards and they "see" the pros arms moving themselves mostly in the horizontal dimension around the body. They do not "see" reality which is the V shape arm motion in front of the chest - mainly up/down.

Blending the up/down with the "around" or circular motion of the Pivot is the key to understanding the ASI application.

It's like a light bulb came on. No more worrying about arm, wrist, elbow sequencing. Just turn and lift and the right elbow sets itself.

It's like a light bulb came on. No more worrying about arm, wrist, elbow sequencing. Just turn and lift and the right elbow sets itself.

Great! To make that up motion even more repeatable and consistent, do not use upper arm muscles to lift the arms. Right elbow bend will lift them automatically. And there is an automatic switch for that right elbow bending too - sideways pressure on arms for Triangle along with stretch/extension arm pressure of Triangle will cause that elbow to fold WITHOUT USING THE BICEPS as you push away 4-8" on the 45 degree angle.

So - assuming your grip is correct and your Setup and Aim - a lot of the backswing Lever mechanics is greatly simplified by mastering the arm pushaway with good Triangle pressures. That little bit of independent muscle powered arm motion is the ONLY muscle powered arm motion that you need in a good golf swing.

Wrists do require you to use wrist muscles to set the two wrists angles, and once learned, those muscles fire to set the wrists same time as upper arm pushaway.

In the past I have done a preset drill where I take the club back with my arms and hands. Now I take the club up, in front of me, to about waist high then bring the club down and do that same motion but I start rotating as my very first move. It does feel like my arms move away at an angle. I don't consciously use any muscles, I just kind of pull up on the handle with the hands and wrists while letting my right elbow just do what it naturally wants to do. It feels a bit awkward but on video it's glorious. The shaft works up the inside of my right forearm. At the top, my hands are pretty close to centered over my right shoulder. If this lightbulb moment allows me to finally embrace the turn I generate then I'll be in heaven. I've never lacked for turn or width. But they always worked against me since my arms always tried to get inside.

Here are a few snapshots...this is turn and lift for me.

In the past I have done a preset drill where I take the club back with my arms and hands. Now I take the club up, in front of me, to about waist high then bring the club down and do that same motion but I start rotating as my very first move. It does feel like my arms move away at an angle. I don't consciously use any muscles, I just kind of pull up on the handle with the hands and wrists while letting my right elbow just do what it naturally wants to do. It feels a bit awkward but on video it's glorious. The shaft works up the inside of my right forearm. At the top, my hands are pretty close to centered over my right shoulder. If this lightbulb moment allows me to finally embrace the turn I generate then I'll be in heaven. I've never lacked for turn or width. But they always worked against me since my arms always tried to get inside.

That looks fine as far a shaft angle, might be a tad to0 steep in second pic. But takeaway is perfect position.

Certainly need to c0ck wrists both up and backwards to flatten left wrist.

Checkpoint on Triangle pressures is at the top if you take left hand off grip quickly, right elbow should straighten.

That looks fine as far a shaft angle, might be a tad to0 steep in second pic. But takeaway is perfect position.

Checkpoint on Triangle pressures is at the top if you take left hand off grip quickly, right elbow should straighten.

Yeah yesterday was the first I gave this a go and I was experimenting with where my hand path goes. I have been taking the club outside the address shaft plane to hit a fade for the last year. I believe I need to get my hand path just a bit more down the line or slightly inside the first 2 feet. I get shallower going back but that was obviously a position I didn't want to be in before. A few more range sessions and I should have it dialed in.

Really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'll keep you updated on progress.

Yeah yesterday was the first I gave this a go and I was experimenting with where my hand path goes. I have been taking the club outside the address shaft plane to hit a fade for the last year. I believe I need to get my hand path just a bit more down the line or slightly inside the first 2 feet. I get shallower going back but that was obviously a position I didn't want to be in before. A few more range sessions and I should have it dialed in.

Really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'll keep you updated on progress.

Most folks new to asi concept go from way inside the plane with independent arm motion to outside the plane. They think this is a swing "method" that has to do with an outside plane takeaway.....which is not at all what I teach.

When you blend pivot with arm pushaway and wrist action, shaft tracks back on plane perfectly. Not outside at all.

Hand Path in the swing I teach is either straight back along the toe line during takeaway and then it arcs to the inside for second half of backswing, or a hand path during takeaway that arcs back very slightly to the inside by end of takeaway.

Clubhead moves in an arc immediately during takeaway, ie an inside arc.

Most folks new to asi concept go from way inside the plane with independent arm motion to outside the plane. They think this is a swing "method" that has to do with an outside plane takeaway.....which is not at all what I teach.

When you blend pivot with arm pushaway and wrist action, shaft tracks back on plane perfectly. Not outside at all.

Hand Path in the swing I teach is either straight back along the toe line during takeaway and then it arcs to the inside for second half of backswing, or a hand path during takeaway that arcs back very slightly to the inside by end of takeaway.

Clubhead moves in an arc immediately during takeaway, ie an inside arc.

Yeah, I could tell that I was too steep when I didn't allow the turn to pull my hands in while my arms went up. That's what I have to play with. Should be easy to get to. Hands were inside for 27 years, only outside for the last year.

Range feedback today. For me, I have to feel like my backswing initiates with the lift more than the turn. Even though i felt like i was lifting enough, turn was dominating and the club was working under. When i started with the lift then i get clean crisp contact and straighter flight.

I have to rotate much faster/harder in the downswing than before. If I don't then this new backswing feel/move gets me really trapping the ball in a bad way. When I rotate hard through then I get my beautiful baby fade.

Jim,

So I was watching one of your videos on youtube about getting early right bend.

The issue I have is a straight right arm at impact probably from turning the shoulders too much.

But overall I try to refrain from using the arms at all. I love it.

I played around with getting right bend early while maintaining pelvic tilt and now my left hip is forcing itself out of the way and tush line is maintained.

All good stuff.

The right arm seems to be going external all on it's own.

Are these normal results for getting early right bend?

It almost feels like I'm leaving my torso behind without letting my lower body slide. Super weird feeling.

Jim,

So I was watching one of your videos on youtube about getting early right bend.

The issue I have is a straight right arm at impact probably from turning the shoulders too much.

But overall I try to refrain from using the arms at all. I love it.

I played around with getting right bend early while maintaining pelvic tilt and now my left hip is forcing itself out of the way and tush line is maintained.

All good stuff.

The right arm seems to be going external all on it's own.

Are these normal results for getting early right bend?

It almost feels like I'm leaving my torso behind without letting my lower body slide. Super weird feeling.

Yes to your questions. Tilt Switch and continued right side bend do tend to create a good Transition move with some natural shaft flattening.

Jim -Unsure if this question has already been answered in this massive poster thread , but in your opinion , does the rear wrist dorsi-flex as in Martin Hall's demonstration (see images below) or does it just radial deviate or is it a bit of both? Just wondering if the way people perceive wrist movement in the golf swing is also a type of illusion.

WristHinges.jpg

Jim -Unsure if this question has already been answered in this massive poster thread , but in your opinion , does the rear wrist dorsi-flex as in Martin Hall's demonstration (see images below) or does it just radial deviate or is it a bit of both? Just wondering if the way people perceive wrist movement in the golf swing is also a type of illusion.

WristHinges.jpg

Yes this issue has already been discussed here. Called the Wrist Illusion.

Both wrists c0ck upwards, right wrist also hinges backwards towards the forearm.

It is a blend of both actions simultaneously in the swing model that I teach.

WristHinges.jpg

Yes this issue has already been discussed here. Called the Wrist Illusion.

Both wrists c0ck upwards, right wrist also hinges backwards towards the forearm.

It is a blend of both actions simultaneously in the swing model that I teach.

Many thanks Jim

Does anyone use the ASI just for the backswing? That seems easiest to master. If so, what do you do on the downswing? Hip bump or just go!

Tanner - its not that simple. ASI is not a technique or method. It is a description about a powerful optical illusion that feeds the minds of golfers into a belief that the arms should swing around the body, both back and forward swings.

And you do not "do this" kind of information.

The implications of the ASI for the forward swing is mainly this - in the model swing, you do not move the arms with the arm muscles. Pivot momentum moves the arms down, out and forward - with a little assist from gravity.

Does anyone use the ASI just for the backswing? That seems easiest to master. If so, what do you do on the downswing? Hip bump or just go!

Tanner - its not that simple. ASI is not a technique or method. It is a description about a powerful optical illusion that feeds the minds of golfers into a belief that the arms should swing around the body, both back and forward swings.

And you do not "do this" kind of information.

The implications of the ASI for the forward swing is mainly this - in the model swing, you do not move the arms with the arm muscles. Pivot momentum moves the arms down, out and forward - with a little assist from gravity.

Got it Jim. Thank you. I would love to think about the forward swing in that matter (pivot momentum) and take away the idea of swinging with the hands/arms with the intent of hitting the ball.

Jim, I own several of the excellent videos and have been working on the swing model for some time.

A problem I’m experiencing is I’m not pivoting in such a way that my wrist angles unload. I don’t think I’m holding on. I’m definitely trying to tilt switch but .. for lack of a better word my turn feels too level and I don’t get the club down to the ground/ball well enough.

I believe it’s possible that I’m unwinding in such a way that only my tilt switch is lowering the club. Does that make sense? That my turn going back is part of what brings the club up, but it’s not reciprocated on the way down?

I hope my explanation is clear enough.

Jim, I own several of the excellent videos and have been working on the swing model for some time.

A problem I’m experiencing is I’m not pivoting in such a way that my wrist angles unload. I don’t think I’m holding on. I’m definitely trying to tilt switch but .. for lack of a better word my turn feels too level and I don’t get the club down to the ground/ball well enough.

I believe it’s possible that I’m unwinding in such a way that only my tilt switch is lowering the club. Does that make sense? That my turn going back is part of what brings the club up, but it’s not reciprocated on the way down?

I hope my explanation is clear enough.

Yes - that is certainly possible, although easy to view your question in several different ways.

OTT by definition is too much around not enough down. You need both Tilt to the right and rotation to lower the hands/arms.

More likely is that you are simply not proficient yet at doing the Tilt Switch and continued right tilting for almost the whole rest of the swing.

Pivot momentum is more than enough force to open the wrist angles. You are either pivoting really slowly or holding on way too tight or both.

Only way to know for sure is to do a remote webcam lesson with me which includes analysis of your golf swing video.

Worked on this last night and I think I needed some additional continued bend/tilt after the TS. Felt solid impact without being steep.

Correct. Tilt Switch just means switching from left side bend to right side bend.

But most golfers have no idea that you must continue to tilt right all the way to followthrough position where left arm is parallel to the ground.

Pros have way more right tilt at impact than most golfers realize. About 1/3 of the actual tilt is hidden by the rotation of the body looking at the pro from caddie view.

I have had a lot of questions recently about my online Remote Lessons program. There seems to be some confusion about how it works, so here goes.

First question I get is - "am I on the range hitting balls during the lesson?". The answer is, usually no - although it is indeed possible to use that option. Normally the lesson is done indoors at home or office in front of your computer or smartphone webcam. You just need at a minimum enough room in front of the computer to make a slow motion swing or a normal speed chipping length or half swing.

Second is the video taping. Yes - you video your swing at the range (instructions on our site) and send me the video to analyze prior to the lesson via webcam. We review my findings together during the lesson. I will demonstrate your main swing flaws (usually limited to three maximum, often just one) and corrective drills and/or mental focus. I watch you and give you feedback as to how your body is performing the new move or the drill.

So very much like an in person lesson and just as effective for about 80% of swing issues or short game or putting mechanics, as in person.

Folks can sign up for just one single lesson (45 minutes minimum) or a series of lessons, which offer a lower price than the single lesson rate.

Many of my students will opt for the series program and do a one hour lesson once every 4-6 weeks. It's a great way to build positive momentum and avoids the pitfalls of practicing by yourself for weeks at a time with no professional feedback.

Worked on this last night and I think I needed some additional continued bend/tilt after the TS. Felt solid impact without being steep.

Correct. Tilt Switch just means switching from left side bend to right side bend.

But most golfers have no idea that you must continue to tilt right all the way to followthrough position where left arm is parallel to the ground.

Pros have way more right tilt at impact than most golfers realize. About 1/3 of the actual tilt is hidden by the rotation of the body looking at the pro from caddie view.

This is a little confusing to me:

So right bend through impact and even after?

Yes! Continuous right side bend all the way to Followthrough position, where left arm is parallel to ground.

Yes! Continuous right side bend all the way to Followthrough position, where left arm is parallel to ground.

WOW!

I can't unsee it now, thanks for tip!

Jim,

From a left arm perspective in the backswing. Is the right thought to feel the arms move as you've mentioned throughout this thread WHILE maintaining left arm connection in the backswing?

The way I'd describe the feeling is that the arms go away from the body as much as possible while maintaining left arm connection to the chest during rotation.

Jim,

From a left arm perspective in the backswing. Is the right thought to feel the arms move as you've mentioned throughout this thread WHILE maintaining left arm connection in the backswing?

The way I'd describe the feeling is that the arms go away from the body as much as possible while maintaining left arm connection to the chest during rotation.

Depends how you define "connection". The upper left should stay in contact with the left pec until end of takeaway BUT it is moving a tiny bit across the pec, ie not stationary. Due to 45 angle pushaway. After takeaway as right elbow folds, it raises the left arm totally off the pec, ie "dis-connection". Not as much as possible as a fact - 4-8" of handle motion in the pushaway.