have driving irons become new status quo?

orangeology

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does buying a P790 3 iron count? Got one on order. Its 2 degrees strong than my 3 iron and assuming more forgiving so plan on using it like a 2 iron off the tee... I actually really like hitting my 3 iron of the tee when I can right now.

Only trouble is I don't know what club I should take out of the bag if I like it and plan on keeping it. I want to keep them all! Assuming I'll need to change the wedge setup.

Have had this idea too. Would love to hear your review once you try it out.

When companies are charging $250 for a single iron...I start to call BS. That's a fad they're making money on.

Just how much performance difference are people observing between their driving iron and their standard forged CB 3-iron? I know how much difference I noticed--not that much. But it gives people something to spend they're money on.

Personally, I'm kind of over them. For as little as I hit my longest irons I'd rather keep them matching the rest of my set.

And yeah, you'd better build some forgiveness into that club-head if you're switching up shaft weight, shaft flex, swing weight, and other critical variables.

Preach man....

But careful because I've been saying that for a while and people get upset...

Why you can't just buy a GI 3 iron for 1/2 the price I will never know

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I currently have a TMB 3 iron w/ a HZRDUS Black 6.0. It’s a monster off the tee when I hit it, but that MIGHT be once a round depending on the course. I have contemplated going to a 4 and 3 hybrid as I feel they might be a little more versatile from the fairway and equally as good from the tee. I dunno. Golf is hard but I love it.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I think they are very useful for longer hitters. A lot of the courses i play are tree/house lined and hitting a driver gains me no real advantage. Hitting a 2 iron stays short of lots of bunkers and still gives me wedges and short irons in. They are lifesavers on new courses for me when you dont know the line for driver. No hitting thru a dogleg or into a hazard you didnt know about.

I personally can hit a driving iron straighter than a hybrid or 5w so i dont see myself going back. Modern driving irons are pretty damn forgiving off a tee.

They should have just locked the thread up after this. My graphite shafted 18* DI has been fantastic for my game. I'm pulling it on more and more holes as I get more and more confident with it

... Interesting that some complain about not being able to use a driving iron from the fairway or worse yet, the rough. I have had quite a few Utility irons in my bag the last several years including the UDi, FG Tour, U45, P790 3iron with a hybrid shaft and all of them have +'s and -'s, although I thought the Cobra King Utility was the most well rounded. But all of them launch relatively high, which is great for a Utility iron. I was looking for a true driving iron and found one in the 17* Exotics CBX Iron Wood 2 iron. It just naturally produces a low boring trajectory off the tee and it is perfect for the winds in Chicago and imagine it would be ideal in Texas too. It is equal good from the fairway producing that low piercing trajectory and into the wind it is just awesome. Did a comparison with my 5 wood last round and downwind the 5 wood traveled 15 more yards, but into the wind the DI traveled 10 more yards, and a slight mishit with the 5 wood will result in even more lost yards dead into the wind.

... But a DI isn't supposed to be used as a utility iron for approach shots and certainly useless out of the rough (I have tried several times just to be sure) so I still carry a 21.5* hybrid in my bag for those shots. I find the DI/hybrid combo to be the best of both worlds, especially if you play in windy conditions.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

I think it just depends.? I was very comfortable wit a 2i growing up, as sets stopped coming with a 2i I eventually stopped carrying one. I did pick up a Callaway Apex UT 21deg with a KBS Tour-V 110S and love it. I have never got along with hybrids, but stumbled into a good deal on a M1 19deg so I have been experimenting with that. But I think that guys that always got along with long irons have been playing them since they have been available.? Guys that went the hybrid route may just now be experiencing the goodness.

I think part of it is the fact that there are now multiple solid options from some of the top manufacturers. For a while, the UDI seemed to be the best option and that was kind of a unicorn due to the limted production.

Now TM, Titleist, Callaway, Cobra, Mizuno, Srixon, and Bridgestone all have very solid options readily available. They may have worked well in the past too, there just weren't a lot of stock/options.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Does buying a P790 3 iron count? Got one on order. Its 2 degrees strong than my 3 iron and assuming more forgiving so plan on using it like a 2 iron off the tee... I actually really like hitting my 3 iron of the tee when I can right now.

Only trouble is I don't know what club I should take out of the bag if I like it and plan on keeping it. I want to keep them all! Assuming I'll need to change the wedge setup.

I have a 790 3 iron with graphite design ad shaft and have it playing at 39.5”. It’s not as large or forgiving as other DI, but if you’re looking for large and forgiving just get a hybrid. I love mine and being that it’s a 3 iron without the large sole of a more modern DI, I find it easier to work off the tee and able to flight it a few different ways.

I have a 790 3 iron with graphite design ad shaft and have it playing at 39.5”. It’s not as large or forgiving as other DI, but if you’re looking for large and forgiving just get a hybrid. I love mine and being that it’s a 3 iron without the large sole of a more modern DI, I find it easier to work off the tee and able to flight it a few different ways.

... I played that set up for a little while but I would say it is quite forgiving for a 3 iron. It is after all a hollow head with some perimeter weighting and a slot on the sole which helps low strikes. I would still be playing my P790 3 iron with an Even Flow Blue Hy shaft if I had not found the Exotics CBX.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

When companies are charging $250 for a single iron...I start to call BS. That's a fad they're making money on.

Just how much performance difference are people observing between their driving iron and their standard forged CB 3-iron? I know how much difference I noticed--not that much. But it gives people something to spend they're money on.

Personally, I'm kind of over them. For as little as I hit my longest irons I'd rather keep them matching the rest of my set.

And yeah, you'd better build some forgiveness into that club-head if you're switching up shaft weight, shaft flex, swing weight, and other critical variables.

Preach man....

For a 3-iron it works, but if you need sub 20* then there is no "GI" version. For the person you quoted... My 3I is my 212-215 "stock shot" and my 2I/DI is my "5 wood" and is a solid 225-228 carry. For me, it fits gaps better on long par 3s, or 2nd shots into a long par 4 or 5. Not to mention how great it is to have a mid flight 230-235 tee shot that rolls and is reliable.

A lot of courses I play have 210-230 par 3s, holes with a lot of trouble in driver range, and some short and narrow par 4s where the UDI is perfect. I was sold when I hit a slightly choked down 2 iron into a 220 yard par 3, into the wind, and got it right into the front edge 15 feet from the hole. Prior to that, I would have to muscle a 3I or hope and pray my 5 wood got through the wind.

I think there is some fad, but not for everyone..

Preach man....

For a 3-iron it works, but if you need sub 20* then there is no "GI" version. For the person you quoted... My 3I is my 212-215 "stock shot" and my 2I/DI is my "5 wood" and is a solid 225-228 carry. For me, it fits gaps better on long par 3s, or 2nd shots into a long par 4 or 5. Not to mention how great it is to have a mid flight 230-235 tee shot that rolls and is reliable.

A lot of courses I play have 210-230 par 3s, holes with a lot of trouble in driver range, and some short and narrow par 4s where the UDI is perfect. I was sold when I hit a slightly choked down 2 iron into a 220 yard par 3, into the wind, and got it right into the front edge 15 feet from the hole. Prior to that, I would have to muscle a 3I or hope and pray my 5 wood got through the wind.

My Steelhead XR 3 iron is 18 degrees.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Me and my driver are on rocky terms currently so I've found myself taking 4i off the tee a lot as of late to keep things in play. Wanted a little more distance so picked up the 2i and after a few hitting a handful of shots at the range I'm already very pleased with the ball flight I'm getting. Even if it's 80% mental, the confidence I gain lining up with an iron off the tee is well worth it. Now I just gotta get my driver worked out :russian_roulette:

Preach man....

My Steelhead XR 3 iron is 18 degrees.

My UDI is 17* works for me ;)

Nope. Only reason DIs get love is because we are a week away from the open. This will fizzle out, as it does every year.

No different than interest in low bounce 64 degree wedges leading into the master or us open.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Meh, I like the idea of the driving iron as the only other club close is a hybrid. I have found that my miss with a hybrid can be left of left and get me in some real trouble. DI doesn’t really do that. However, to utilize a DI you gotta have speed. I got enough to get the job done but not enough consistency to loss speed on mishits. All my buddies ask me about driving irons and I just tell them they’re great but you gotta have speed.

I think they are very useful for longer hitters. A lot of the courses i play are tree/house lined and hitting a driver gains me no real advantage. Hitting a 2 iron stays short of lots of bunkers and still gives me wedges and short irons in. They are lifesavers on new courses for me when you dont know the line for driver. No hitting thru a dogleg or into a hazard you didnt know about.

I personally can hit a driving iron straighter than a hybrid or 5w so i dont see myself going back. Modern driving irons are pretty damn forgiving off a tee.

They should have just locked the thread up after this. My graphite shafted 18* DI has been fantastic for my game. I'm pulling it on more and more holes as I get more and more confident with it

Was going to say the exact same thing. My course is 6,800ish from the blue tees and I can get around with my 2 iron no problem. The more I see good results the more use it gets.

shiny sub-20º head with a fancy graphite shaft seems a total norm now. had always thought a 2 iron to be for TW on a rainy day St. Andrews.

don't get me wrong pls. i love playing it. can never replace the feeling of a well hit driving iron tee shot (1 or 2 per 18 holes ratio). just wanna have a practical POV where it stands in the bag on my weekly 9-hole muni course where distance-gapping is an idealistic aka meaningless terminology. any shot longer than 200 yards will most likely hit the poor guy in the previous group (straight) or 2nd next fairways(slice).

most o' used driving irons on BST don't seem to have been hit like more than 10 times, while every ad says 'bomber' or 'rocket launcher'. why would sell your rocket launcher for half a price?

one thing for sure is that sure it makes me looking a better golfer in my bag. :)

"is that a driving iron?"

Most people will comment on whether you are better player based on the shots they see you hit. I'm yet to encounter anyone fooled by one's bag.

Modern driving irons are more forgiving than old 1, 2 and 3 irons but to be effective they still require a degree of competence.

Nope. Only reason DIs get love is because we are a week away from the open. This will fizzle out, as it does every year.

No different than interest in low bounce 64 degree wedges leading into the master or us open.

Can't comment on behalf of others but I base my club selection on what best suits my game, not what is fashionable. Is a driving iron even fashionable at the moment? Maybe to about 11 people on Golfwrx...The masses couldn't care less.

I liked the idea and stole it from Jeff when he started a thread about it this spring. I played 3 iron off the tee for a while, but I don't generate the club head speed nor do I have the space in my bag to have an iron to utilize exclusively off the tee. I get more use out of a hybrid, so that's what I am putting in play.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Can't comment on behalf of others but I base my club selection on what best suits my game, not what is fashionable. Is a driving iron even fashionable at the moment? Maybe to about 11 people on Golfwrx...The masses couldn't care less.

Same here. But the whole DI buzz is always at its peak around The Open timing.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Kinda baffling that the naysayers in here haven't seen the gap that the modern DI has filled that is the reason its been a popular item for the last few years (not just because the open is coming up). Lots of pros used to alternate 2i/5w depending on the course and these hotter faced perimeter weighted modern DIs have eliminated that trade off for many. The 2i was a strong tee club but was usually unforgiving and not great as a long approach option. The 5w was great as a long approach club but often too spinny off the tee for max distance. Modern DIs can do both now with minimal sacrifice. These things are stupid forgiving without any of the accuracy drawbacks that fairway woods can have (gear effects) and can be elevated and dropped down easier than a 2i/5w respectively. There has also been a strong focus and bringing out a larger variety of high quality hybrid shaft options. Anyone likening this to the mini driver or 64* wedge trend would do well to look at how few of those clubs ended up in pros bags compared to how many are sporting DIs these days. I was ALWAYS a fairway wood guy but if I didn't love my 4w so much it would be replaced with a 1i UDI.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Kinda baffling that the naysayers in here haven't seen the gap that the modern DI has filled that is the reason its been a popular item for the last few years (not just because the open is coming up). Lots of pros used to alternate 2i/5w depending on the course and these hotter faced perimeter weighted modern DIs have eliminated that trade off for many. The 2i was a strong tee club but was usually unforgiving and not great as a long approach option. The 5w was great as a long approach club but often too spinny off the tee for max distance. Modern DIs can do both now with minimal sacrifice. These things are stupid forgiving without any of the accuracy drawbacks that fairway woods can have (gear effects) and can be elevated and dropped down easier than a 2i/5w respectively. There has also been a strong focus and bringing out a larger variety of high quality hybrid shaft options. Anyone likening this to the mini driver or 64* wedge trend would do well to look at how few of those clubs ended up in pros bags compared to how many are sporting DIs these days. I was ALWAYS a fairway wood guy but if I didn't love my 4w so much it would be replaced with a 1i UDI.

It may just be that different clubs work well for different swings. My home course has a handful of short, tight par 4’s that yield big rewards for a well placed ~220 - 230 yard tee shot, so I was pumped to put a 2i in the bag.

But after a bunch of rounds, I found that my average result really wasn’t materially different than it had been hitting 3i off the same tees. And I never really could get it to launch off a tight fairway. Ultimately, it just wasn’t that useful for me as an everyday club.

If I were playing a links course in blustery conditions, I’d put it back in the back in a heartbeat. But it’s just not a versatile enough club for everyday use IMHO.

I tried a 18* callaway ut for a season and it was as long or longer at times than my 3 wood.

Needless to say i delofted to a 21* and put the 17* hybrid back in and now those 2 can overlap at times.

They are building them good now a days prob a very true statement "status quo"

TAY; 7.5* SIM  SPEEDER 57  S.  (44 3/4")

TTL; 13.5* TSI 2 DIA BLU 70 S.  (42 7/8")

SRZ; 18* 85 U STEELFIBER 95I S. ( 39 3/4")

Cal; 4/5i EPIC, 6i-7i MVRK PR, 8i-PW MB  

Cal; 52* X FRG STK W. 
Cal;  ODYSSEY W B/W