A big thank you to everyone, especially Mr De La Torre

McdonaI

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just wanted to give some praise to all of you who have helped me through my golf journey.

I started about 3 years ago and hacked my way round the course fighting tops, thins, fats, hooks and slices along the way. Found myself getting lost, lost and more lost on YouTube with the variety of coaches on the prescribing tips for the masses that never fit so didn’t stick.

I then found this forum and was blessed to find loads of constructive advice for beginners and more which have helped me with so many issues over the years. I also found Some really enlightening debates on swing theory which initially muddied the waters but eventually cleared my mind. I knew that I did not want that.

That really describes where I was at the start of may this year but I still did not know exactly what I wanted. I knew I wanted golf to be fun. I want it to be a sport. I want to go out and play. However, after three years I just did not know what to do.

Then a moment of providence I stumbled on a Manuel de la Torre thread on here and it has changed my golfing life. I read all the threads and knew instantly that this is what I wanted. So I watched all the videos available, read all the threads (even all the arguments) read the book and I now feel like I have what I need.

I now know what to do. I feel like golf is a sport. I no longer worry about my next shot. I am having fun. (I am no expert or pro it must be stated I dont even have a handicap (I work shifts and can’t realistically play in comps)) I must repeat this, even though I have loved gold from the moment I started I am having fun! ?

So a big thank you to all of you out there who have posted on this forum with well meaning tips, critiques, lightbulb moments, arguments, YouTube clips, more arguments and of course the Manuel de la Torre information that has given me such joy. You have all changed my life. Also, a big thank you to the man himself, Manuel decks Torre, I wish I could have met you and had you give me the feel. God bless.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Mcdonal, I would like to thank you! You prompted me to go take a look at the de la Torre threads and most of the

YouTube stuff and I spent several hours just soaking it in. Been playing a long time and I desperately needed simplification in the process. Target focus only and swing shoulder to shoulder ( backswing above the right, finish above the left). It has cleared my mind before and during the swing and the initial results have been very solid..

Thanks!

Ping G430 Max Ventus TR Red Velocore 6R
Titleist TSR 2 3wood Tensei S

Callaway Apex UW 21 Hazardous Smoke 5.5
Mizuno MP 243 5-GW C-Taper Lite R
Sub 70 JB Forged 52

Edel SMS 58
Toulon Atlanta StrokeLab 35"

Actually Mcdonal, I would like to thank you! You prompted me to go take a look at the de la Torre threads and most of the

YouTube stuff and I spent several hours just soaking it in. Been playing a long time and I desperately needed simplification in the process. Target focus only and swing shoulder to shoulder ( backswing above the right, finish above the left). It has cleared my mind before and during the swing and the initial results have been very solid..

Thanks!

Awesome! Never expected that to happen! You are welcome. ? here’s to you, target focused golf, fun and Manuel de la Torre.

Thanks!

Awesome! Never expected that to happen! You are welcome. ? heres to you, target focused golf, fun and Manuel de la Torre.

What part of Scotland, if I may ask? My family comes from John Witherspoon from Gifford, East Lothian a few generations back..

Sub 70 JB Forged 52

Edel SMS 58

The MDLT stuff is great. If you really think about all the technical stuff/methods-it will all just happen naturally if you follow Manuel’s theories.

His putting advice is great as well; just roll the ball on your starting line.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Thanks!

Awesome! Never expected that to happen! You are welcome. here’s to you, target focused golf, fun and Manuel de la Torre.

What part of Scotland, if I may ask? My family comes from John Witherspoon from Gifford, East Lothian a few generations back..

I'm live on the Isle of Lewis off the west coast. I was born in Edinburgh though and have family there. Not much in the way of facilities up here. Two courses, one parkland 18 holes, one links 9 holes 50 miles apart, no teaching pros and one driving range with mats directly on concrete floors.

Wow, you have an illustrious forefather. I share his sentiments on the centralisation of government.

The MDLT stuff is great. If you really think about all the technical stuff/methods-it will all just happen naturally if you follow Manuel’s theories.

His putting advice is great as well; just roll the ball on your starting line.

I love the quote in the foreword of the book when the LPGA pro goes to him moaning about her putting and Manuel asks her what she is trying to do. When her reply is 'I am trying to make putts' he tells her not to try and make putts but to simply roll the ball as far as the hole. Brilliant!

Thanks!

Awesome! Never expected that to happen! You are welcome. �� here’s to you, target focused golf, fun and Manuel de la Torre.

I'm live on the Isle of Lewis off the west coast. I was born in Edinburgh though and have family there. Not much in the way of facilities up here. Two courses, one parkland 18 holes, one links 9 holes 50 miles apart, no teaching pros and one driving range with mats directly on concrete floors.

Wow, you have an illustrious forefather. I share his sentiments on the centralisation of government.

Yep, my 5th great-grandfather. Just spent the 4th over here in Philadelphia standing up for him ( along with 10 other descendants) when the roll call was read of the signers in Independence Hall. My first time and pretty moving experience. Certainly a bucket list item to get over to Scotland and see where he lived, and of course play a little golf:)...

Sub 70 JB Forged 52

Edel SMS 58

Thanks!

Awesome! Never expected that to happen! You are welcome. �� here’s to you, target focused golf, fun and Manuel de la Torre.

Yep, my 5th great-grandfather. Just spent the 4th over here in Philadelphia standing up for him ( along with 10 other descendants) when the roll call was read of the signers in Independence Hall. My first time and pretty moving experience. Certainly a bucket list item to get over to Scotland and see where he lived, and of course play a little golf:)...

Wow! Sounds like a great experience. It must make you proud to be part of something as significant as commemorating the starting of a new country. When i was 11 or 12 i was chosen along with another in my school to attend the first opening of the Scottish Parliament and I was very proud to be there for that and there was no family connection involved there.

A little bit more info on my swing results. In case it can persuade anyone like me to use Manuel's Method.

Before I started implementing the method nearly every shot was a straight pull. I tried various methods to correct this pull but it was still present in about two thirds of my iron shots and 90% of my drives. Now i could play to this and get around the course but it annoyed the hell out of me.

Now, when i tried to swing the golf club as directed by Manuel i did not try to change my grip as i had read in the forum that it might not be needed. Alas, nearly every shot has a weak fade at best or a slice at worst. I tried to push that out of my mind. It's not a pull i told myself.

I then went to the Manuel's book and read about the causes of a slice and adjusted my grip accordingly. It was surprising to me what the adjustment was as when i first started playing golf i used to slice and when i got a lesson from a pro his fix was the exact opposite of what Manuel's book told me. I pushed that thought away and made the adjustment and bam! First shot hook! Second shot hook! Third shot hook! I could not believe it. I had never hooked the ball before in my life. Well not without rolling my hands over a la adding topspin to a forehand in tennis.

That really piqued my belief in this.

So i then read the part of the book that deals with the cause and effect of hooks and was able to correct the hook into a pretty cool looking draw. Another thing that i'd never been able to do in the past.

Bare in mind that this was all within about half an hour at the range.

Anyways, I know there will be ups and downs ahead as always and i will not get too far ahead of myself and continue to commit to improving slowly rather than not at all.

Thanks for reading. God Bless.

• 7 months later...

MDLT teachings are blowing my mind. At first I tried, without changing my grip. Not fully convinced, shanks all over the place. Then i went back to zero, got the book and on my third day with a new neutral grip AND right pinkie barely ovelapping over my right index finger.... my irons are flying high and looooong. It needs to be fine tuned but I have never seen range balls flying that beautifully ever. Just easy, not worried about positions or turns or shifts... just taking the club WITH my hands to the top and swinging with my ARMS, from “here to here”. So easy and simple, crazy.

Thanks and good luck to you all!!

• 6 months later...

Thank you for this post. I am also a recent convert to the MDLT teachings and principles. It has really freed up my tendency to ‘paralysis by analysis’. There is one issue I am having though, and that is my driver is too steep with a centre club head position, leading to skied drives - anyone else having this problem? - any ideas how to help gratefully appreciated.

Thank you for this post. I am also a recent convert to the MDLT teachings and principles. It has really freed up my tendency to ‘paralysis by analysis’. There is one issue I am having though, and that is my driver is too steep with a centre club head position, leading to skied drives - anyone else having this problem? - any ideas how to help gratefully appreciated.

This year as of last month getting my mind wrapped around his swing method as my own method. Been toying around with it for years.

If someone asked me who I’d like to play in a threesome , including living or dead, it would definitely include Manuel de la Torre and my dad, May they Rest In Peace.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

> @swingtinkering said:

> Thank you for this post. I am also a recent convert to the MDLT teachings and principles. It has really freed up my tendency to ‘paralysis by analysis’. There is one issue I am having though, and that is my driver is too steep with a centre club head position, leading to skied drives - anyone else having this problem? - any ideas how to help gratefully appreciated.

Your diagnosis is probably correct, you're too steep, but why? Probably because your permitting your swing center to drift forward before you hit the ball. Go out and hit some drivers while you focus on maintaining an equal weight distribution, right and left, until the ball is hit. Then permit the momentum of the club to move your weight to the forward foot.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...