Over weight golfer

After this week, I’ll be walking every time I play. At 45 years old, 255 lbs., I let myself go after competing in another sport which at times I had to make weight. 100 lbs gained in the last 2 decades.

I just cut 9 strokes and slowly improving in my return to golf, but I don’t play well when I walk. I get winded after 5 to 7 holes. If it’s flat, maybe 9 holes then I’m really struggling after that. I know my scores will go up for awhile, but I need to walk.

It’s seems I have to train at the gym if I plan to walk once or three times a week. Does walking and being out of shape affect your game? I know other bigger guys, walking isn’t a problem. Any advice is welcome... I was told to just play 9 holes till I get used to walking.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not huge, but I've put on 50 pounds in the past 5 years or so. Technically, according to the BMI scale, I'm considered obese (which is bullxxxx). I try to walk as much as I can. Made the mistake of walking & carrying 36 holes in one 90º day though. That resulted in a full 24 hour rest day after. But most of the time, my stamina holds up fine. I think due to part of me being active most of my adult life and being pretty athletic in general.

One thing I do, that I feel helps out a lot, is cycling. I love riding bikes. I typically go on 20 mile rides on the weekend, just around town. I can't run/jog for a damn, but cycling is super easy for me. Easy on the knees/joints too. I'd look into getting a bike, or going to a cycling gym and use a stationary. Helps to keep your heart rate in check, and it's actually real fun and enjoyable!

Just my $.02 (as someone who is 5'3" and 180 pounds; i.e. I'm about 12 inches undertall for my weight). Do not underestimate the affect physical fatigue has on your ability to execute a proper swing and do not underestimate the affect mental exertion has on physical fatigue. The latter is worse than the former. Just a bit of weariness can cause you to be "off" on a number of swing characteristics (e.g. you don't make a proper weight shift).

Doesn't mean you shouldn't walk; last Summer I walked and carried because wifey told me that if I did that I wouldn't have to go to the gym. :) I knew it would take something off my game but I was willing to make the sacrifice. But for losing weight you can't beat dieting. You'll probably drop more pounds in a week of good dieting and little exercise than you will in a month of carrying/walking and normal eating.

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

I'm 43 with bad knees and rather large. I've been walking since I took up the game and it gets easier and now it's all

I do. Frankly, only the old, infirm and inebriated can't walk 18 holes imo.

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

Nlk10010 nailed it.

I've got an extra 20, but bad feet from old broken toes and plantar fasciitis from really working the turn into the trail foot at some point.

I salute the OP for digging in.

Just stay safe, get the heart checked out first, and 9 at first is a great call.

I typically ride the cart, but local muni doesn't charge after 5pm weekdays so lots of guys wander and play a few, and it's a great quiet experience.

I'm not a big guy so this won't answer your thread question. That said. Maybe you should try and just walk period. Like a local park etc etc. Start slow and build up. Or walk up and down your street. Try and add walking in general to your day. Every little bit helps.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

I dropped 35 lbs in 2018. Exercise and burn more calories than you consume. There is no secret to losing weight though there are some things you should avoid. Refined sugar products for example, and diet soda even though that sounds incongruent. If you have a craving for sweets diet soda typically doesn’t satisfy the craving but instead makes it worse.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I am a big guy with a long barrel chest and gut. 6' 260lbs. I walk 18 almost everyday and more on the weekends. This past weekend I walked 81 holes, 36 on Sat (plus some range time) and 45 on Sun. I had to take Monday off though, the knees hurt a bit Sunday night. If you make your mind up to do it, you will build up to it.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

Im 6 ft and roughly 265lbs but don't have a problem walking, probably due to being fat for most of my life I have extremely strong legs. only thing I've noticed recently is I have more stiffness in my bag so stretch a lot more during the round.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I was in the same boat as you about 15 years ago, and was a few years younger. I used to hate to ride in a cart and I always walked if possible, never seemed to be a problem, used to walk 36 holes a day as a kid and when I was in college, could have walked from dawn to dusk.

But after a move, a new job, having kids, I had ballooned up to about 255+ pounds. I'm 6 ft 1, and that spring when I went out to play 9 the first few times, I felt like I had walked 36 holes in something like south Mississipi summer heat, except I was living in Michigan and it was about 70 degrees, I could not remain sharp feeling that way. I simply started cutting out high-fat foods and counting calories and kept walking and playing. Winter came and I started working out at the gym to keep it going. Within a year I got all the way down to about 175, which was maybe too light. I only really kept that off for a couple of years, then another move/new job, and I started putting the pounds back on as I just started eating anything I wanted.

I half heartily tried starting on the old routine again, but couldn't stick with it and ended up bouncing around between 240-260 pounds probably over the past 10 years.

Fast forward to last year, and I decided to try a Keto diet, low carb, high fat and moderate protein. I must admit, the first week or so was hard, but after that, I settled in and started to really enjoy eating this way. What is different for me at least, is I don't feel hungry all the time, I don't feel like I'm on a "diet". I started this plan last October, and I was right at 250 pounds. This past week I crossed 200 pounds for the first time in over 10 years. I do a little extra bit of light weight lifting/stretching, and also walk my dogs about 1.5-2.0 miles a day, and that is it. It may not be for everybody, but I would definitely look into it. It gets really hot where I live now so I will ride when the temps reach the upper 90s, but this past weekend the high was only low 90s and a bit overcast at times, I walked 18 on Saturday, came home mowed the yard then walked the dogs, and felt like I could have walked another 18....

Sugar, starch, and bread are almost lethal to me I think, but I do miss my pizza.....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I am 5'9" and started this season off at 260lbs. I started during the first week of April by walking 9 holes at a time and carrying my bag. My wife got me a Clicgear 3.5 for Father's Day, so I don't carry anymore but still walk. I am down to 235lbs and can play 18 without too much exhaustion. I work in the medical field and one warning to prepare for is the inevitable plateau that our bodies fall into. When the plateau happens you will need a plan so you don't get discouraged and give up. Diet and calorie restriction is key, but even our bodies get used to a certain amount of calories and will stop burning them after x amount of time. Plan to incorporate biking or light weight training when you start to level off on your weight loss. If you have any opportunities to swim, that is the best exercise, low to no punishment on the joints and wonderful cardio. Keep up the good work. Oh, and the weight I have lost has helped my golf game too, hitting it longer and more consistent.

get a treadmill and walk in off season

Start slowly, see a doc first

I do a lot of walking and weight lifting from Nov to March

As a fellow big fella I support your efforts

And as above, cut out aspartame in coffee and soda's

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I'm on a weight loss kick these days and have lost 24 lbs. in the last 9 weeks; I'm 5'9" and went from 206 to 182. The formula as mentioned is simple: burn more than you intake. I either walk or bicycle every day, sometimes both, and I'm watching what I eat. I'm 56 years old now and I realize whatever I do it needs to be a lifestyle change, not just a diet or it won't stick.

I agree with what's said previously that eating is the key. I'm not a fan of special diets, preferring conventional "clean" eating - lots of vegetables, good protein, minimal saturated fats and junk food. Walking and/or exercise in general is good but to really lose weight you have to cut back on intake. And if the cut back is just a temporary "diet", you will see the weight come back once you stop (don't ask me how I know).

Bottom line is that walking is good, cutting back on portions is good, eliminating bad foods is critical, and if there is any exercise you enjoy what elevates your heart rate that will help you burn faster. Doing this should help your golf game too. Maybe not at first but soon. You just can't be discouraged if your game dips a little at first.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

9 trips to the operating room following weeks of bedrest after each has left me a sloppy sack. Getting outside is my friend right now.

Anyway, walking the course gets easier, you just have to keep at it. Find a course to walk where the slope is mild and use a push cart to start. Bring plenty of water and wear clothing that keeps you as cool as possible. A wet towel around the neck helps too. Don't be concerned with taking a short break between holes, but just don't sit down when you do.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I've been big my whole life but haven't been "fat" since post college as I ate like I was still a college athlete despite the fact that I stopped working out like one... 6 feet tall and pushing 275 all while my poor muscles fade away while I sit in an office all day.

I'll reiterate what other have said, take it slow at first and walk 9 before 18. Comfortable shoes are a must, you will go through them much faster, I walk most rounds and go though a couple pairs of shoes a summer. Will you be carrying or using a push/pull cart? Before I had shoulder surgery I carried every time I walked but have started using a push cart to take pressure off my shoulder and it's a night and day difference. I would have some troubles playing longer or hillier courses while carrying but with a push cart I have almost zero fatigue after waking 18. Drink lots of water and have fun!

I am a big guy with a long barrel chest and gut. 6' 260lbs. I walk 18 almost everyday and more on the weekends. This past weekend I walked 81 holes, 36 on Sat (plus some range time) and 45 on Sun. I had to take Monday off though, the knees hurt a bit Sunday night. If you make your mind up to do it, you will build up to it.

Some people have more red blood cells than others.

Get a push cart. All the aerobic benefits of walking without the burden of possible back pain from lugging around a bag. I gained 60 pounds in the last 5 years. When I started getting winded walking courses I have walked many many times I knew it was time for a change. Down 15lbs in the last few months and already feeling much better.

So I'm a big guy, 5'10", 255. I walk and carry and use a pull cart. The first few times you have to be willing to let your score go and the goal has to be to finish the round. As your body gets used to it it will become easier and you will feel great after. It's also way more fun to play walking.

I'm almost 60 so I deviate by not carrying if the temp goes higher than 85 or the course is extremely hilly. I also plan my courses by weather, if it's hot here (East Bay SF) I play over in the Peninsula or Monterey where it is cooler and I can walk easily.

Get a push cart. All the aerobic benefits of walking without the burden of possible back pain from lugging around a bag. I gained 60 pounds in the last 5 years. When I started getting winded walking courses I have walked many many times I knew it was time for a change. Down 15lbs in the last few months and already feeling much better.

a good tip, join the push cart mafia, saves the back and legs so much from carrying

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I am currently 6'3" and 245lbs. Four years ago I was 311lbs when I started my training regimen. I would start slow. Part of my daily ritual, aside from other activity, is a post-lunch 30 minute walk around the parking lot. You don't have to go fast/speed walk. Your diet is about 75%-80% of the key to burning the fat. Eat for the lifestyle you have. If you lead a sedentary "9-5 sitting a desk" type life, you can't have a diet for someone who toils out in the fields all day.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

Just stay safe, get the heart checked out first...

Bingo.

I heart some weird heart palpitations and numbness going on last year and even at 32, it scared the s*** out of me. I dropped 50-lbs almost immediately and have been around 180 for the last year. Nothing gets you moving like a serious scare and the ticker is first on that list.

I work in a corporate office and I'm surrounded by overweight people who sit all day long. It sucks, but you have to do what you can to avoid getting all that excess fat built up.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

My last lab work up, everything was good except for Vit. D, it's just below normal.

If I was to start conditioning and train again, it won't take me long to get a routine doing things at the gym like I've done in the past. It's sad guys my age and over weight can't do 25 push ups, or 25 sits up, or 3 minute planks on the spot. I know everyone is different, I've had healthy fitness athletes friends get sick or die. Or a marathon runner (friend) who has really high blood pressure, she weights no more than 115lbs. I'm that "lucky fat guy" who doesn't have high cholesterol or high blood sugar...but... I do have minor BP due to sleep apnea.

With that said, I have a weak mentality in working out - it's a constant battle in my head. I'll do it, but it's heavy to carry on... My "mental game" sucks in almost every sport/game I've played/competed. I'm lazy and I over think a lot. Also, what I hate most is walking. But my youngest is 5, and she needs me. I need to walk when I play golf, and I need to go back into the gym and do something. HIIT, Treadmill, Kata, something. My good blood work won't last that long, and the last thing I need is a bypass or dialysis.... even worse....

Thanks to everyone who shared in this post. Today is a start, heading to the gym with a plan for today.

I have to add. Though I hate walking, especially when playing golf, it's very peaceful at times walking alone. I'm just thankful I have the chance to play this game. There's always joy in certain things....

I'm 56, 5'11" and a solid 245. I live in the Northeast, so walking when playing is quite practical. I also try to walk daily regardless of when I play. However, I do not walk in hot climates because it's just too dangerous health-wise. As for being able to make a good swing at the ball, I find that regular stretching is vital. You can find golf related stretch routines online. Mine only takes about 20 mins in the morning and keeps me flexible enough to keep swinging well.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I have your typical post athletic career body. I played division 1 lacrosse in college and am roughly 5'9", 225. While I was playing lacrosse, I sat at around 190. My golf game has improved since graduating college but my lack of cardio has added some extra weight. Ever since I started playing golf, I always played better when I walked and carried my bag. I think it is due to a couple of things:

1. walking loosened up my muscles and allowed my body to warm up

2. it gave me more time to think about my next shot, or walk off a bad shot

As with anything else, it will take getting used to. But if you implement a little extra cardio during the week and walk while playing I think it has the potential to help your game. As your body gets used to it, you will naturally be able to do more and more physically.