Rory or Jordan

MoneyPlayer33

I'll take the guy that's already ahead in the major count. I would have bet my 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse in 2008 that Tiger would have won another one after the US Open. Majors are not to be taken for granted.

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take Jordan over anybody playing golf right now

So you are taking the over on his career vs Tiger's career? 15 majors and 80ish wins? Thats a bold bet.

Damn man!! I was late to this thread and about to post the same. Guys saying Jordan will have a better career than any active player? Third best behind Tiger and Phil is the best he will possibly do.

I dont think thats what he said or meant. i understood him meaning right now and moving forward. not a wild declaration

Rory.

Everyone keeps mention this Spieth grit and determination, what happens when that goes? And what happens when the MPB shame really hits and he goes down that rabbit hole of remedies?

I like Rory's chances of finding a 1/2 decent putting stroke up against that.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

JORDAN!

If he’s in contention at a major I watch! He’s one of the few GOLFERS left.

I am not sayin Rory ain’t a bad a** talent and all but watching Jordan compete at majors so far has been GOLD.

I hope he doesn’t change too much. His competitive drive alone makes gives his stock the most upside!

The only golfer left who can move the needle more at a major is the pussycat.

Rory’s got a pretty swing.

The thing that stands out when I watch Rory is the lack of finesse, I don't see him hitting anything soft or bouncing it back to a hole, it always seems to me he is flying it to every hole.

I've said it before but I swear he seems to have significantly better distance control when he hits those hold off finish knockdown types of approach shots. I don't know why he doesn't take that approach more because the big full swing moon balls that he seems to normally hit seem so much harder to control, especially if there is even a breath of wind.

Aside from all that I agree with the general "Rory has the talent but Jordan has the fire" comments. Not saying that Jordan isn't talented or that Rory doesn't care, but Jordan is a grinder who is passionate. Rory's attitude comes across as the naturally talented kid who seems to expect the success and gets mopey and frustrated when it isn't there. Combine the two skill sets and the USGA would have to find a way to outlaw the resulting player. :D

I have said since 2015 that if Rory had Jordan's mental side and could improve his putting, Rory could have a Tiger-like career.

He just needs to have a rory like career thats it.

Already done did that.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So you are taking the over on his career vs Tiger's career? 15 majors and 80ish wins? Thats a bold bet.

Damn man!! I was late to this thread and about to post the same. Guys saying Jordan will have a better career than any active player? Third best behind Tiger and Phil is the best he will possibly do.

I dont think thats what he said or meant. i understood him meaning right now and moving forward. not a wild declaration

Might not have been what he meant, but its a quote of what he said. We can only go by what's in front of us... Technically, Jack still plays here and there (at least once a year on a little par 3 course some random Wednesday in April).

Spieth has more sustainability in the long run. He will go through some slumps, but his short game is pretty special. Not sure if anyone holes more shots from just off the green. And his swing is pretty simple and efficient.

Rory has already started to flirt with the injury bug and he's only 29. A lot of these younger guys are going to have back/shoulder/neck issues in their 30s and 40s.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

People seem to mention "if Rory could putt" but imagine if Jordan could "Drive the ball" like Rory or someone else. They are both fun to watch and wish the best for them, it is great for the game.

Jordan is 28th in strokes gained off the tee with Rory at 11th, not really a very big gap there in terms of the difference it would actually make I don't think. Jordan ain't short.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

People seem to mention "if Rory could putt" but imagine if Jordan could "Drive the ball" like Rory or someone else. They are both fun to watch and wish the best for them, it is great for the game.

Jordan is 28th in strokes gained off the tee with Rory at 11th, not really a very big gap there in terms of the difference it would actually make I don't think. Jordan ain't short.

Look at the past few seasons. The difference is significant.

I want to say Jordan, just because he's not too far removed yet from his last stretch of dominating play. However, just how far down the rabbit hole of yips and mental fatigue will he go? Prolonged battling with this could set him back years, derailing any and all early career success. I think seeing his play rewarded helped feed his confidence early on and kept the momentum rolling, he was "driven" to win. Now, with the off-seasons and having so much already under his belt, he's dealing with the "expectation" of winning and that's any entirely different animal. Sometimes success doesn't continue to feed upon itself before doubt and worry, of the opposite, creeps in and overwhelms.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

you mean tiger and jack

If McIlroy could putt, it would definitely be him.

While I understand this at its core ......Im still shocked how often people marginalized putting...like if you hit it long and pure your irons your entitled to greatness......(laughable). A great golfer HAS to be a good putter...period

I firmly believe there are a lot of golfers in the world that stripe it just as good as the guys on tour but they can't putt well to make it on the big show. I'd go further and say a great golfer has to be a great putter. The worst putters on tour are still really good putters.

I called it five plus years ago and nothing has transpired in that time period to cause me to change my mind....

Jordan?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I think Rory wins one more major (not the masters, probably back door a sloppy weather british)

I like Jordan to win 8 (including 3 green jackets)

Yes sir. Given his record at Augusta I’ll call now that he owns the low single round and low total before he quits and win at least 3. He literally owns that place. The meltdown at 12 and the comeback that day and since cemented it. That’s the worst thing that old girl could hit him with. And he beat her back with birdies. He will only get Better on those greens.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

How's this though? We all "wow" at Rory's driving and perceived ball striking. Tee to green should be the comparison.

Strokes gained tee to green

Rory #10 1.47 strokes per round

Jordan #15 1.369 strokes per round

Pretty close!!!

Rory #8 1.363 strokes per round

Jordan #2 1.649!!!!

Off the tee is nice-getting it effectively to the dance floor is even better!

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

you mean tiger and jack

Calling Jack active is a stretch......

Rory was definitely more dominant off the tee in previous years, but i'd still maintain that these are not remotely equal conversations. Rory and Jordan had similar overall 2016 seasons with a pair of wins and a handful of top 10's. Rory was #1 in strokes gained off the tee and Jordan was #32, not REALLY that significant in the big picture. Jordan was however #2 in strokes gained putting and Rory was #135. Its pretty clear who is leaving more meat on the bone there. Jordan with Rory's driving would be impressive, but driving is not Jordan's weakness. Rory with Jordan's (previous) putting is a FAR more compelling hypothetical.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Rory was definitely more dominant off the tee in previous years, but i'd still maintain that these are not remotely equal conversations. Rory and Jordan had similar overall 2016 seasons with a pair of wins and a handful of top 10's. Rory was #1 in strokes gained off the tee and Jordan was #32, not REALLY that significant in the big picture. Jordan was however #2 in strokes gained putting and Rory was #135. Its pretty clear who is leaving more meat on the bone there. Jordan with Rory's driving would be impressive, but driving is not Jordan's weakness. Rory with Jordan's (previous) putting is a FAR more compelling hypothetical.

Not as clear cut as you would think. The rankings are meaningless-it's what they represent that matters.

2016 numbers that you used show #1 Rory gained .829 strokes per round over #32 Jordan. 1.230 strokes gained vs .401 .

putting Jordan at #1 gained .965 strokes per round putting over #135 Rory. Jordan at .758 and Rory at -.207. So we are talking just .136 strokes per round difference.

I remember a couple of years ago at a press conference Spieth was talking about the whole distance thing. He said he would never hit it as far as McIlroy, and didn't plan on trying to. I thought that was a very wise thing to say. Why mess around with his swing to gain a few more yards? He hits it far enough...just look at his record. Adri Arnaus, who plays on the European Tour, averages 323 yards off the tee...how many people know who he is? There is a lot more to golf than being the longest off the tee.