Ireland Conditions

Anybody have any first hand experience on the course conditions? I've seen a couple pictures of Lahinch and Ballybunion looking pretty rough from lack of rain. We are heading to SW Ireland in about 6 weeks for Lahinch, Ballybunion, Waterville, Old Head, etc and wondering if the turf is as bad as the few pictures I have seen. I know it isn't going to be green and perfect and that's fine but the few pictures I have seen look like the entire course is burned.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody have any first hand experience on the course conditions? I've seen a couple pictures of Lahinch and Ballybunion looking pretty rough from lack of rain. We are heading to SW Ireland in about 6 weeks for Lahinch, Ballybunion, Waterville, Old Head, etc and wondering if the turf is as bad as the few pictures I have seen. I know it isn't going to be green and perfect and that's fine but the few pictures I have seen look like the entire course is burned.

@henniga -- I wonder if I will bump into you. We're heading there that week as well. Playing the Island, Lahinch, Ballybunion, Bantry Bay, and Old Head.

I’ve only been fortunate to be there a couple of times when it looks like that. It is a blast to play that way. Links turf plays just fine brown. I’m hopeful that Scotland will still look like what I saw of Carnoustie when I’m there a month from now.

+1

That brown look is what they are going for in the summer. I was just in Scotland and it was so pure. One of my best friends is from Lahinch and he was just telling me how perfect it is right now.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

I’ve only been fortunate to be there a couple of times when it looks like that. It is a blast to play that way. Links turf plays just fine brown. I’m hopeful that Scotland will still look like what I saw of Carnoustie when I’m there a month from now.

We went to Norhern Ireland and Scotland in May 5 years ago and it was great. We love firm and fast and it was great but it was much more green. I was not aware that it got this brown in the summer so I was a little fearful that the greens would be bare and bumpy.

@henniga -- I wonder if I will bump into you. We're heading there that week as well. Playing the Island, Lahinch, Ballybunion, Bantry Bay, and Old Head.

We will be there 8/20 - 8/28. Playing Old Head, Ballybunion, Hogs Head, Waterville, Dooks, Tralee, Doonbeg, Lahinch and Killarney. We may play an emergency 9 at Spanish Point after Doonbeg.

I just came back from a week in Scotland. The courses in Ayr, on the southwest coast, did show some strain from the really warm dry spell they had in May/June. Our caddie at Prestwick pointed out a few spots where they'd had to make some repairs. It was absolutely fine to play, but the turf was a little thinner than I've seen in either Scotland or Ireland before. In East Lothian the turf wasn't as stressed, and looked a little thicker and healthier.

Courses in Ireland are perfect.... was just there 5 weeks ago...played east and west coast. far from "pretty rough".

I am sure there may be some drying and burnt spots since then, but I cannot see the courses being bad at all. I lived there for many years and even in the worst spells they were never bad.

Played RCD, Ardglass, Portstewart, Royal Portrush, Lahinch, Old Head, and Powerscourt over the past three weeks. Hasn't rained in 4+ weeks in the entire region, temps are high 60s to high 70s everywhere with little, <15 mph winds. Might as well be Spain. Anyways, fast and firm everywhere. Was so much fun. Aim for the front of all greens. They water the greens but they are still rock solid. Difficult to hold. Play RCD as much as you can if you plan to play.

A group of friends just returned from 2 weeks, the first in Dublin, the second they moved to Galway..they were lucky with weather, but told greens were in average conditions compared to previous years.

Driver: R7 425 tp 10,5* w/ px blue 6.5

3 Wood: 906 f2 15* w/ hm40 x

Irons: dci962 #2-pw w/ dg s400

Wedges: vokey sm4 raw S grind 56.11-60.07 w/ dg s400

Putter: B60 stainless 

I just got back from a short trip to Ireland (12th - 15th July, 2018). Played Killarney (Kileen), both Ballybunion Courses and The Island Club - a fantastic links course just outside Dublin. At the moment the courses are seriously baked. Everything is rock hard and brown other than the greens and tees, plus a few walkways. The starter at Ballybunion mentioned that they'd only had 4 days of rain in the last 60 or something, which is very unusual for Ireland.

It was a lot of fun, but also a shame in a way as the courses probably weren't looking their best. You also really have to adapt your game to the conditions. I've posted a few pics below to give you an idea of how it's looking as of last week.

There's still a good chance of some rain between now and when you go, so it may be a bit lusher by the time you play.

We will be there 8/20 - 8/28. Playing Old Head, Ballybunion, Hogs Head, Waterville, Dooks, Tralee, Doonbeg, Lahinch and Killarney. We may play an emergency 9 at Spanish Point after Doonbeg.

We're there from 8/21 to 9/5. Also going for a wedding so only squeezing in 5 rounds. I'm excited, but at the same time a little nervous because I've been recovering from a thumb injury for the last 6 weeks and know I'm really rusty right now...hope you play well!

I just got back from a short trip to Ireland (12th - 15th July, 2018). Played Killarney (Kileen), both Ballybunion Courses and The Island Club - a fantastic links course just outside Dublin. At the moment the courses are seriously baked. Everything is rock hard and brown other than the greens and tees, plus a few walkways. The starter at Ballybunion mentioned that they'd only had 4 days of rain in the last 60 or something, which is very unusual for Ireland.

It was a lot of fun, but also a shame in a way as the courses probably weren't looking their best. You also really have to adapt your game to the conditions. I've posted a few pics below to give you an idea of how it's looking as of last week.

There's still a good chance of some rain between now and when you go, so it may be a bit lusher by the time you play.

I feel like an idiot for buying rain gear for this trip! Lol. Who knows, maybe it will rain cats and dogs while I'm there...with my luck that might actually happen...

I feel like an idiot for buying rain gear for this trip! Lol. Who knows, maybe it will rain cats and dogs while I'm there...with my luck that might actually happen...

Don't. I did the same thing. Remember this is Ireland, so the weather is still extremely changeable despite this summer's heatwave. In a few more weeks, things could have turned around completely.

• 4 weeks later...

We're there from 8/21 to 9/5. Also going for a wedding so only squeezing in 5 rounds. I'm excited, but at the same time a little nervous because I've been recovering from a thumb injury for the last 6 weeks and know I'm really rusty right now...hope you play well!

Heading there as well - same dates:

26th - Doonbeg

27th - Tralee + Waterville

28th - Old Head

Maybe we’ll cross paths.

Heading there as well - same dates:

26th - Doonbeg

27th - Tralee + Waterville

28th - Old Head

Maybe we’ll cross paths.

Very jealous of your trip!

You’re playing tralee and Waterville in the same day? Keep in mind it’s around a two hour drive between the two courses maybe even longer since you’re driving half the ring of Kerry.

Though I’m sure you’re aware so either way have fun at those courses they are two of the best SW Ireland has to offer.

I played the Island Golf Club today. Had a caddie, which was helpful. Weather was great on the front then turned into this torrential rain/hailstorm with 40 mph winds in the back nine. Was really grateful to have my rainsuit as I actually managed to stay dry underneath. There course itself was fun and well designed but as a fair weather CA golfer, I was totally out of my element on the back nine.

I played the Island Golf Club today. Had a caddie, which was helpful. Weather was great on the front then turned into this torrential rain/hailstorm with 40 mph winds in the back nine. Was really grateful to have my rainsuit as I actually managed to stay dry underneath. There course itself was fun and well designed but as a fair weather CA golfer, I was totally out of my element on the back nine.

Sounds like you played some true links golf!

Is that the ISLAND Course? Looks sweet

Is that the ISLAND Course? Looks sweet

The last one is The Island Club. The others are at Ballybunion. Both fantastic courses. That was back in July though I understand they are looking a lot greener now.

Just returned last night. Courses are getting green but still fast. Had a wonderful time. Super foggy at Old Head, so that was a real bummer. Rained sideways for about 12 holes at Hogs Head. That is a first class facility with their 2 helicopters (also have a private jet) bringing in members one after the other. I think we were the only guests on the course that day as their practice round for the member/member tourney was that day. Tralee day was as perfect a day as one can ask. That is a fantastic track. Front 9 designed by Arnold Palmer, back 9 designed by God. Hard to beat Irish golf, but you spend a lot of time in a car doing that SW trip.

Just returned last night. Courses are getting green but still fast. Had a wonderful time. Super foggy at Old Head, so that was a real bummer. Rained sideways for about 12 holes at Hogs Head. That is a first class facility with their 2 helicopters (also have a private jet) bringing in members one after the other. I think we were the only guests on the course that day as their practice round for the member/member tourney was that day. Tralee day was as perfect a day as one can ask. That is a fantastic track. Front 9 designed by Arnold Palmer, back 9 designed by God. Hard to beat Irish golf, but you spend a lot of time in a car doing that SW trip.

Thanks. did you stay in Killarney? Any advice on where to eat/drink?

Thanks. did you stay in Killarney? Any advice on where to eat/drink?

Celtic Whiskey Bar & Larder on New Street: 1200 types of whiskey and very good food

Lord Kenmare's on College Street: good food, need reservations

Hannigan's Bar on Kenmare Place: quintessential Irish pub

The Porterhouse: slightly touristy but good casual pub

PXG Gen 2 X MCA Diamana BF
Callaway Epic 15* GD AD I
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20* GD AD I
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged/ Hot Metal Combo 5-9
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Circa 5
Bridgestone BX