Technique for pitching from thick rough around the green...

ChrisNH

Currently struggling with a particular shot and could use some ideas on technique.

I have no trouble on most courses where the rough isn't so thick and the ball settles near or on the ground. I use the bounce well and excel at pitching, bunker shots and flops most of the time. They're all shots I enjoy practicing in the short game area, but my practice area has regular rough where even though it's 3" long the ball settles near the ground.

Once per week I play a course with very thick, lush rough around the greens, all the way up to the fringe, that's roughly 3 to 4" long. The problem is that the ball doesn't settle much, but stays near the top of the rough, so there's like 1" of space under the ball. Typically the ball settles so that it's sitting so the rough is anywhere from just above the equator of the ball up to the top of the ball or a little over. This inch or so of air space between the bottom of the ball and the actual ground is giving me fits. Just can't consistently control the ball. It's further complicated by the fact that it's slopey around the greens so lies aren't often flat.

I carry 4 wedges, 50* with 10* bounce, 54* with 8* bounce, 58* with 14* bounce and 62* with 6* bounce.

So how do you successfully play this shot with this lie? Which club and what technique?

--Say you're 3 or 4 paces off the green and have 30' of green to work with.

--How about if you're 2 paces off the green and have 12' of green to work with?

--How about if you're 6 paces off the green and have 8' of green to work with?

I've been using the 58* because it has the most bounce, and opening it up to get even more, but I still catch it on the top few grooves and it comes out short and soft. I've tried hovering the club and not hitting the ground with square and open club faces and I often catch it thin and it goes long. I've thought about playing an explosion like a bunker shot, but that big of a swing on short shots in lush, thick rough during competition is something I'd like to avoid if possible, especially considering I have no place to practice it with that type of grass/lie.

Any ideas?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forward shaft lean with a wedge, and a short/deliberate putting motion with the ball back some, will pop out and run. I'm still advocating normal contact here, not a deliberate thin. The ball is on a perch, so keep the club head near the top of the rough as well(don't sole the club deep into the rough, just enough the get under the ball)and the parallel motion like putting will ensure good contact.

Basically get under the ball enough to contact the sweet spot but keep the AoA as close to 0 as possible by locking the wrists and keeping the wrists and arms still. A very deliberate putting motion with the ball back of center is the best swing thought for me.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Do you normally sweep your chips like a Steve Sticker or do you use some wrist load and release?

I've had similar problems and I found that using a more loaded stroke, even on the shorter and more delicate shots, has produced better results from the thicker rough. I normally sweep all my close chips and pitches with as little wrist as possible and expect to get X amount of run (zero spin from the rough of all length and type), but when I encounter the really thick stuff that can be spongy and hold the ball up, using a swing with more wrist load and release has helped. I think of these shots as completely different from all the normal pitches and chips, as I'm expecting the bounce to be a non-factor in the ball flight. I'm catching the ball before the club bottoms by positioning the ball just behind center stance The ball is gone before the bounce has any influence on the turf.

Distance control is much more difficult, but at least with this method I can choose the best loft and get it cleanly up and running and on the green. It is not the best solution when you are short-sided and don't have a lot of green to work with.

I tend to hit all of these with the 56 or the 62 and I do not open the club more than a couple of degrees. I open it just enough so I can keep the clubface from getting twisted by the longer grass.

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

I've had instructors suggest that I use a less lofted club to hit the fluffy lie pitch. The ball is going to come out higher then normal and off the top grooves. Instead of the higher loft, use a pitching wedge. The ball will come out lower so you can control the distance even though it may hit near the top of the grooves.

Do you normally sweep your chips like a Steve Sticker or do you use some wrist load and release?

Depends on the shot I'm trying to play. My standard chip/pitch from fairway type fringe is pretty dead wristed putting type stroke and just change clubs depending on the runout I want. If hitting one high with no run out I use the bounce and more wrist load and release.

I'd use the 58, consider lowering the handle but keep my normal "use the bounce" style chiping technique i.e no chopping down on it, thats a recipe for hitting it high in the face and getting completely random distances. If the rough is really thick and little green to work with I'd also open the face. With all these shots I'd lower my expectations when it comes to getting it close.

Depends on the shot I'm trying to play. My standard chip/pitch from fairway type fringe is pretty dead wristed putting type stroke and just change clubs depending on the runout I want. If hitting one high with no run out I use the bounce and more wrist load and release.

I am the same. Your mileage may vary, but using a, "hinge and hold" type stroke may work for you in this situation. The way I do it (which may not be correct) from the fluffy rough does not produce much spin.

Good luck!

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

I’d use less loft. Likely the 50 opened up. Play it middle of my stance and swing up. Lob wedge to me goes nowhere in that lie unless you swing full tilt. And why would you do that if you don’t need to. Bounce means zero with a teed up lie like that. You just have to pick it out of there. Ball back and face square if you want to hit down and squirt it low. Get a lot of lies like that in the Bermuda here. You have to Choke up a smidge too. No real shortcut.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Middle of stance

Square face

Choke down a bit “measure up” to the ball.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Low point control is the issue here. My intent when the ball is sitting up in the rough is to keep a very stable lower body and make a shallow swing, keeping the club head moving parallel to the ground as long as possible at the bottom of the stroke. Using a lower lofted club makes the face taller, giving you more margin of error on your low point, and allows you to swing slower, making clean contact easier.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I open the clubface and lower my hands and just try and thump the back of the heal into the ground and don't really have a follow thru...works well for me.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

You guys understand the OP is talking about balls sitting UP in the rough, right? I don't understand some of the posts suggesting steep swings in this situation.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

If you have a wedge with a wider sole and less loft, try keeping your hinge in a delofted turn through the shot. You allow more area of the face to contact the ball and the sole behaves much like a wood to keep it from burying as it glides over the grass.

TSR4 9*(A2), Diamana PD 60TX 45.5 (testing) Smoke 💎💎💎9*

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41"

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i

T24 54.08D, Callaway Jaws Raw 60.08C, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Mizuno RB X or Callaway Tour X

I’ll need to re-watch this before my Myrtle trip.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

The above is pretty handsy and prone to error unless you're quite proficient already. The lie the OP references is a perched one, atop the grass so it shouldn't require any real fancy club manipulation or motion. The video I am sharing is sort of an exaggerated version of what I posted in text form. Pelz uses an 8 iron, but I prefer to use a PW and don't play the ball quite as far back. I use the same motion with very little wrist hinge(still forward press though), it completely simplifies the shot and makes timing the bottom of the arc a non-issue. Position the sole of the club only slightly lower than the ball and brush the grass with a deliberate motion and you're good.

His use of the English language leaves something to be desired, but the fundamentals are solid.

Edel Brick

I came here to post a link to Iteach's vid but i see its already here. Thats how i do it.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Kaili White 60X
  • TM SIM Ti 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

The above is pretty handsy and prone to error unless you're quite proficient already. The lie the OP references is a perched one, atop the grass so it shouldn't require any real fancy club manipulation or motion. The video I am sharing is sort of an exaggerated version of what I posted in text form. Pelz uses an 8 iron, but I prefer to use a PW and don't play the ball quite as far back. I use the same motion with very little wrist hinge(still forward press though), it completely simplifies the shot and makes timing the bottom of the arc a non-issue. Position the sole of the club only slightly lower than the ball and brush the grass with a deliberate motion and you're good.

His use of the English language leaves something to be desired, but the fundamentals are solid.

There’s nothing handsy about it

I don't see that pelz method working in my situation as the motion seems nowhere near enough force to move the ball 4 or 5 yards in the air, and if you did I'd think the runout would be way too far.

I found this photo online that most closely resembles what I'm talking about. The grass is a bit different, with my grass being a bit more lush, with a bit heftier, thicker, singular strands, like kentucky bluegrass or something, but it's close. This is about as low as ball usually sits. Usually a tad higher, but never right on top. Grass is 3 or 4 inches or so, so there's at least 1 or 2"+ of air/grass between the bottom of the ball and the ground. The big problem is that you're not sure exactly how much air is under there as if you test it too close the ball could move.

If it would settle near the ground I'd beat on it like a bunker shot with plenty of confidence, but it doesn't darn it all... I've tried on these type of lies and it's possible to go completely under the ball while engaging the bounce with the ground and the ball not going anywhere. You can even barely catch the top grooves while never getting low enough for the bounce to even touch the ground.

img_2497.jpg

I've used iteach's short game methods for years, and it's super effective for the different lies.

Regarding the ball sitting up, a square face, ball position forward and high hands will give you much more room for error. If you want to lower trajectory, just change clubs.

Same. Adjust the handle height to the lie. Ball lie buried, lower handle. Ball on top of grass, raise handle high hands. It cannot get more simple. Use pretty much the same motion, just adjust handle with the lie.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

The only issue I see here is he has a perfect lie. Around these parts, I might get a lie like that every one in ten chips.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Yeah, I just figured it would help with the ball sitting up, no need to get deep into the grass with a wristy move if the ball is sitting very well. Maybe I was confused by the OP lie situation.

Edel Brick