16 degree hybrids

Mukky

I don't hit my 3 wood worth a damn and may go driver to 19* hybrid.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with that is that it leaves a 50-60 yard gap for me

Me too but I don't find myself going for a green in 2 very often or needing to regularly use a 240-260 club.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

Ill tackle your question like this, as I play a Srixon ZH65 Two Hybrid and it has been a stellar addition to my bag.

Good news: It is still easy to hit, like many hybrids are, provided you enjoy the shaft in it and swing at a decent speed.

It's a fairway finder, thanks to the shorter shaft. Your misses may just be in the rough, as opposed to trees, or OB.

You can feel confident going into long par 3s.

Bad News: It probably wont match the distance of three woods, because of the shaft length and head size.

Bottom Line: If you are a good driver of the golf ball, & you dont attack many par 5s in two, a 2 hybrid is a great tool in the bag.

I just put a 910h 17 in the bag (going to play it as 16.25). The 910h 19 (played it 18.25 until today’s round at 19.75) I have has been in the bag for 4-5 years. It’s 200-230 range and I can hit it off the deck. Not that I can control my shots all the time but I can hit it lower with run when I pick it clean or high and soft when I take a divot. Hoping to see similar results with the stronger one.

My advice would be to match your current hybrid as much as possible. Same shaft and head. You sound confident with it so stick with the same model if you can in the stronger loft.

There's nothing in the rule book that says you can't play drunk.

I have an i25 hybrid (17) that I picked up on eBay for 25 dollars. Sent it to ping and had it reshafted and bent to 16*. It’s not quite as strong as a fairway wood but for me it is more consistent. I hit my 15 degree 3 wood about 260 when smoked and consistently 250 but my miss was a big push. To the point that I would rather lay up. I hit this 250 if I get a great bounce I can get it a little further. But really about 245ish. Which is fine as my 19* goes 230.

I am really thinking about getting a new g400 hybrid at 15* or 16* as the larger head may bridge the gap between the small hybrid (i25) and a fairway wood.

FYI the 17* i25 can be bent to 15 per ping.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

So what? Did you know that from 250 yards on the PGA Tour the average distance to the hole from the fairway is about 65-70 feet. The best on tour is 45 feet and the worst player on tour is around 92 feet. From 225-250 the numbers are about the same except the worst on tour is 75 feet. My point being, these are the best players in the world from the fairway and you're worrying about filling this spot in your bag perfectly. There's nothing wrong with wanting the best for your game but the vast majority of players are better off simply laying it up to 80 yards or so and wedging it on than taking their chances from 225-250+ yards even from a perfect fairway lie. Yes, there could be that 1/10 shot where you pull it off and are able to 2 putt for birdie but how often does that really happen?

I think the longest distance even the best amateur players should truly worry about is ~200 yards. The very best amateurs (say sub 4 handicap) with speed you should go out to 215 yards. If you get lucky and find a club you absolutely love that you hit solid and can hit greens from 215-220+ yards say half the time then you're doing better than 99% of players out there. This spot in your bag is probably the absolute least important spot in the bag unless you're only using it for tee use instead of hitting driver. I've played the vast majority of my golf the last two seasons with 9-10 clubs and it hasn't changed my scoring at all. In fact my par 5 scoring is slightly better and I attribute it to always laying up on par 5's unless I'm able to reach it with the clubs currently in my bag which usually the longest club is a 4 iron equivalent. I found that even as a scratch player my misses from 250+ yards are bad that the handful of great shots I hit each year from that distance do not make up for it.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

So what? Did you know that from 250 yards on the PGA Tour the average distance to the hole from the fairway is about 65-70 feet. The best on tour is 45 feet and the worst player on tour is around 92 feet. From 225-250 the numbers are about the same except the worst on tour is 75 feet. My point being, these are the best players in the world from the fairway and you're worrying about filling this spot in your bag perfectly. There's nothing wrong with wanting the best for your game but the vast majority of players are better off simply laying it up to 80 yards or so and wedging it on than taking their chances from 225-250+ yards even from a perfect fairway lie. Yes, there could be that 1/10 shot where you pull it off and are able to 2 putt for birdie but how often does that really happen? I think the longest distance even the best amateur players should truly worry about is ~200 yards. The very best amateurs (say sub 4 handicap) with speed you should go out to 215 yards. If you get lucky and find a club you absolutely love that you hit solid and can hit greens from 215-220+ yards say half the time then you're doing better than 99% of players out there. This spot in your bag is probably the absolute least important spot in the bag unless you're only using it for tee use instead of hitting driver. I've played the vast majority of my golf the last two seasons with 9-10 clubs and it hasn't changed my scoring at all. In fact my par 5 scoring is slightly better and I attribute it to always laying up on par 5's unless I'm able to reach it with the clubs currently in my bag which usually the longest club is a 4 iron equivalent. I found that even as a scratch player my misses from 250+ yards are bad that the handful of great shots I hit each year from that distance do not make up for it.

Well besides your post coming off as very condescending, I can count at least 8 times this year where I have used my hybrid from anywhere between 210-230 out to get on to a par 5 in 2. One of those times led to a 5 foot eagle. Last week in my league I ended up in the water of the tee and had to drop 225 out and hit green. 2 putted for par. Hell there is the occasional duck hook off the tee on long par 4's where I end up with over 200+ left to the green. My 19 hybrid has saved my butt a bunch of times. So to say that you shouldn't worry about over 200 is a ridiculous statement. So based on what you are saying I should do what? Keep a 3 wood in my bag that I never pull out? Add another wedge just for the hell of it? Carry 13 clubs? Why would I not try and optimize my bag with clubs that I am confidence in and also I have a hard time believing any scratch player would be ok with a 60 yard gap at any place in their bag.

I have a cobra f7 3 wood that almost never comes out of my bag because I have no confidence with it. When I hit it well, it is a great 250 yard club, however I have no confidence with it. I may hit a huge slice, a duck hook, or just strip it. I have a cobra f7 3 hybrid set to 19.5 degrees that I love and have so much confidence with. I'm quite automatic with it from 210-230 out and outside of the occasional hook, nothing scares me about hitting this club. My question is, has anyone ditched the 3 wood for a low loft hybrid and what was your experience? Any that you would recommend? I saw tour edge makes the cbx in a 16 degree, has anyone played it?

I guess I am just sick of wasting a spot in my bag and I figured if I have so much confidence with a 19 degree hybrid, a 16 degree shouldn't be too much different, right?

Before you go changing, would it be worth taking the 3 wood to the range, gripping down a couple of inches so you have more control and hitting a couple of hundred balls?

I gamed a Mizuno CLK 2H for a bit and it was just ok for me. I actually have an easier time hitting my M2 3HL now for whatever reason. It could certainly work for you, but in my experience it wasn't any better than FWs at the same loft.

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

So what? Did you know that from 250 yards on the PGA Tour the average distance to the hole from the fairway is about 65-70 feet. The best on tour is 45 feet and the worst player on tour is around 92 feet. From 225-250 the numbers are about the same except the worst on tour is 75 feet. My point being, these are the best players in the world from the fairway and you're worrying about filling this spot in your bag perfectly. There's nothing wrong with wanting the best for your game but the vast majority of players are better off simply laying it up to 80 yards or so and wedging it on than taking their chances from 225-250+ yards even from a perfect fairway lie. Yes, there could be that 1/10 shot where you pull it off and are able to 2 putt for birdie but how often does that really happen? I think the longest distance even the best amateur players should truly worry about is ~200 yards. The very best amateurs (say sub 4 handicap) with speed you should go out to 215 yards. If you get lucky and find a club you absolutely love that you hit solid and can hit greens from 215-220+ yards say half the time then you're doing better than 99% of players out there. This spot in your bag is probably the absolute least important spot in the bag unless you're only using it for tee use instead of hitting driver. I've played the vast majority of my golf the last two seasons with 9-10 clubs and it hasn't changed my scoring at all. In fact my par 5 scoring is slightly better and I attribute it to always laying up on par 5's unless I'm able to reach it with the clubs currently in my bag which usually the longest club is a 4 iron equivalent. I found that even as a scratch player my misses from 250+ yards are bad that the handful of great shots I hit each year from that distance do not make up for it.

Well besides your post coming off as very condescending, I can count at least 8 times this year where I have used my hybrid from anywhere between 210-230 out to get on to a par 5 in 2. One of those times led to a 5 foot eagle. Last week in my league I ended up in the water of the tee and had to drop 225 out and hit green. 2 putted for par. Hell there is the occasional duck hook off the tee on long par 4's where I end up with over 200+ left to the green. My 19 hybrid has saved my butt a bunch of times. So to say that you shouldn't worry about over 200 is a ridiculous statement. So based on what you are saying I should do what? Keep a 3 wood in my bag that I never pull out? Add another wedge just for the hell of it? Carry 13 clubs? Why would I not try and optimize my bag with clubs that I am confidence in and also I have a hard time believing any scratch player would be ok with a 60 yard gap at any place in their bag.

On top of that, what should one do for a par 3 of 200+ yards, especially into the wind? This is a shot needed on both par 3s on the back nine at my course, which are 200 and 213 yards, respectively. 3 wood is too much unless it's a big wind.

Seems disingenuous on the part of our responder to expect everyone to try bunting something longer, or playing intentionally short of the green.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

A couple years ago I was hitting my Rocketballz 3H Wood all over the map so decided to try my Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree 2 Hybrid from my high school days. Thing took off like a rocket and it stays low enough to pierce the North Dakota winds we get. I hit it so well that a friend tried it and bought one of his own for $40 online, who needs new technology?

I would suggest trying a 4 wood or even a 5 wood that you like with a reasonable length shaft. That should be more versatile and forgiving than a 16* hybrid off the turf with more carry distance as well.

I played a 16* Mizuno JPX 900 hybrid for a bit last year in place of a five wood. Distance was about the same, but the hybrid gave me lower launch and spin. I ditched the 16* hybrid experiment once I found a 5 wood that gave me confidence from the tee/deck.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W

I am debating getting a cbx 16* hybrid or the rogue 17* hybrid to use as a 4 wood.

My cally x forged ut is on backorder so im getting anxious for a new club.

Anyone game either of these?

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

About 4 years ago, I had a torn rotator cuff.

That was the only time I could hit a hybrid. ( for about 4 months).

The local shop had a Taylormade 16°- 2i rescue hybrid with an X100 steel shaft.

It was only $12, and it was sweet. 225 yards off of the tee, and about 210 from the fwy.

After my shoulder healed, I couldn't hit it anymore.

I love my Taylormade m1 hybrid 18* turned down to 17*, I rip that off the tee quite a lot. Can easily poke it out 240+ yards carry then roll out obviously depends on the firmness of the course. But it just launches off the face. I only use it off the tee and only if the ball is sitting up on the fairway first cut.

It maybe worth considering a 3HL or 4 wood as you might find the distance loss between 3W and 3HYB too much............although I must say that Adams made the Idea Super XTD woods and hybrids a few years ago and those went incredible distances and many were finding them too long! Plenty on eBay.

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

4 and then 5 wood for me when I ditched the 3 wood. Am not a strong enough player to get the 16* hybrid in the air for maximum carry. Tried a Bridgestone J36 16* I believe it was.

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Yamaha RMX 220 17* 5 Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids - 21* and 24*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

909 15°, xhot/xr pro 16°, idea a12 16°.

great hybrids, good replacement of 3 woods for guys who struggle with woods and have strong lofted irons with 19° 3 iron...a setup which allows for an added wedge

Driver: R7 425 tp 10,5* w/ px blue 6.5

3 Wood: 906 f2 15* w/ hm40 x

Irons: dci962 #2-pw w/ dg s400

Wedges: vokey sm4 raw S grind 56.11-60.07 w/ dg s400

Putter: B60 stainless 

Ditched my 3 wood years ago for a 2 hybrid, which was then replaced by a 4 wood at 17 degrees. Best change I've ever made to my golf bag.

4 wood goes every bit as far as the 3 wood did (unless it was the 1 in 20 shot where I absolutely flushed the 3w), and most of the time it goes further, simply because it's so much easier to hit.

• 1 month later...

I have actually decided that I do not need a 3 wood in the bag. I hit my driver around 280 and my p790 3 iron around 230. My 3 wood of a tee is a solid 250 club. But off the deck it is squirrely. I may hit it 260 or it may only go 210. It is the most inconsistent club in my bag. I have a rogue 17° inbound that I will play at 41" and am hoping it is more consistent off the deck. I should be able to get it out close to my 3 wood distance. I also have a Mizuno clk 16° on order. One of those bad boys is going in the bag!

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

From someone who searched for a 3 wood for 3 seasons, just chuck it and resist the temptation to try another one. I tried so many heads, length and shaft combo’s decided to just not bother.

Went and got a lesson + fitting for longer clubs and went with a 18* Callaway Apex with Tour AD DI, goes as far as I need it to and feel I can manipulate it. Bag set up is now driver, 18*, 23* - 4-pw.

If I’m playing in a group majority of the time I’m not far behind if at all with it, unless playing with some of the top players at my club. DO IT, you won’t regret, that’s why there is so many posts in here about finding that unicorn 3 wood!

I just got my U45 18* reshafted with a Recoil 110 to a playing length of 40.5” and strengthen to 17*; the extra length and degree challenged my 15* 3 wood on course conditions.

Ended up buying a strong 3 wood for separation.

The shaft change, extra length and stronger loft favored me.

Ill tackle your question like this, as I play a Srixon ZH65 Two Hybrid and it has been a stellar addition to my bag.

Good news: It is still easy to hit, like many hybrids are, provided you enjoy the shaft in it and swing at a decent speed.

It's a fairway finder, thanks to the shorter shaft. Your misses may just be in the rough, as opposed to trees, or OB.

You can feel confident going into long par 3s.

Bad News: It probably wont match the distance of three woods, because of the shaft length and head size.

Bottom Line: If you are a good driver of the golf ball, & you dont attack many par 5s in two, a 2 hybrid is a great tool in the bag.

I would suggest trying a 4 wood or even a 5 wood that you like with a reasonable length shaft. That should be more versatile and forgiving than a 16* hybrid off the turf with more carry distance as well.

I played a 16* Mizuno JPX 900 hybrid for a bit last year in place of a five wood. Distance was about the same, but the hybrid gave me lower launch and spin. I ditched the 16* hybrid experiment once I found a 5 wood that gave me confidence from the tee/deck.

I'm in a 16 degree jpx900 right now. Loved the 19 but didn't hit it far enough. The 16 is definitely lower flighted than the 19. My miss with it is right though. I turned it up to 17 after playing this past weekend hoping to help encourage me to swing left a bit harder with it to get a bit more height and a more consistent l-r flight.

I go driver then 19 degree.

This is me, too. I don't mind the gap (haha!) between my driver and the 19*. The 19* is certainly long enough to hit the longest par-3s I face (220-ish, max).

If an approach shot is in 230-260 range for a par-5, I have one of two tactics: 1) if it's relatively safe around and just short of the green, I'll take that same 19* and put it as close as possible to the green and hope to get up and down for birdie. I have semi decent odds of doing so and will gladly give up the eagle opportunity or 2) if there's trouble up near the green, I'll typically hit my 22* hybrid short of the trouble, and I'll likely still have a shortish club into the green.

So, my only real eagle opportunities are the shortish par-5s (or effectively short-ish due to wind or slope). I'm OK with that. Every time I've tried to put a 3w in the bag to increase those eagle chances, my scores blow up. It has no use off the tee for me - my driver is more reliable for tight holes. Off the deck a 3w gets me into trouble too often compared to my hybrids. I think the 3w is the club I see doing the most harm to scoring among my playing partners (particularly those in the bogey-golf range). They often "think" a 3w is safer off the tee because the pros do it all the time. But my lesser skilled buddies will often mis-hit 3w badly because they're catching an edge of the clubhead. Longer shaft, smaller head = pure disaster.