Chiropractic and golf

Tanner25

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent three years and a lot of money on a pain management doc getting epidural injections which never worked for me. I was desperate and decided to give chiropractic care another try. I go once a week for a five minute adjustment and it has helped me tremendously. I still have some pain from time to time but it doesn't keep me off the golf course. It hasn't done anything for my range of motion however.

Ping G400 SFT 12*

Ping G 5W 19*

Ping G  7W 21.5*

Ping G410 5 Hybrid 25*

Mizuno JPX 923 HM HL 6-GW

Cleveland CBX2 54* & 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport Mil Spec 340g @ 34”

Bettinardi BB1 350g @ 34”

I spent three years and a lot of money on a pain management doc getting epidural injections which never worked for me. I was desperate and decided to give chiropractic care another try. I go once a week for a five minute adjustment and it has helped me tremendously. I still have some pain from time to time but it doesn't keep me off the golf course. It hasn't done anything for my range of motion however.

Then There's success stories like these so who knows

You have to find the right chiro.

I don’t go regularly. But I have bouts of lower back pain at times and it’s always muscle related. I get muscles into knots at times and they won’t release. My guy is great at doing minimal stuff. He has a massage therapist on staff And a massage table I’ve offered to buy. lol. We will work out the muscle issue first. Then an adjustment every other day for a week and I’m usually good for 6 months or more. I’ve never ever left in more pain. And I’ve broken my back in 2 places in 2001. So I’m not exactly issue Free.

Now I will say this. There ar many back cracking quacks out there. Find a place that uses more therapeutic techniques vs just adjusting every day. If you have muscle issues all the adjustment on earth won’t help. Why ? The muscles are pulling you out of alignment . You have to fix the cause first.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I've had back pain for the better part of 30 years. I was hit by a car directing traffic as a cop. My right leg is 1" shorter then my left. My thorasic spine is arthritic to the point I get pains in my left arm and legs.

When I racing triathlons I did very well as it help keep my back moving and allowed the range of motion. After I retired from tris I took up golf. The back got worse over a few years. I was put on diclofenac (anti-inflammatory) and it helped a ton. After 2 years my back started to hurt again. I was sent to a chiro 3x per week to start. This lasted 4 weeks, then reduced to 2x per week and then 1 time per week, now only as needed. My golf game changed after the first 2 weeks as my back loosened up. I had to change my swing slightly as a result. My range of motion increased a lot and I had to deal with that in my swing.

So yes, a chiro can help. Your results may be different. I currently go once a week.

I use 1. He has helped me tremendously. However, for chronic issues you need to go multiple times a week to see any improvement. A lot of people think going once or twice is going to work some magic.

Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS 9*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Morning folks!

I’m a Chiro in private practice for 32 years. My office is 500 yards from a top private country club here in Virginia. I’ve attended and taught sports related and golf specific injury seminars over the last 20 years and have treated PGA (when they were at Kingsmill), LPGA, Senior Tour, Web.com players NFL, and was one of the chiros chosen for the US Olympic team ( couldn’t do it cause if the time commitment) over the years, not to mention all the club guys.

Chiropractic works depending on your issue. Range of motion can be increased and pre and post round pain patterns can be managed. Whereas the golf swing SHOULD BE a thoracic spine turn back and thru, most people are turning with their lumbar spines. This leads to injury.

To the OP, find a doc that’s been in practice for at least 10-15 years who has studied and has extensive experience with sports injuries. Also, please be aware that a 30 year old injury can not be “cured” but only managed. Life, work, sitting, golf, and age all compound an injury that “ has never felt the same after 30 years” and has never been effectively treated.

All your major athletes and sports teams use chiropractic with staff chiropractors. Tiger, Phil, Dustin, etc. Zac Johnson’s dad is a chiropractor.

Like all professions, there are good and bad out there. Find a good one. Palmer graduate. I think you’ll be happy.

Nick

It all depends on your type of injury. I am only 24, and have had back pain since I was 13. Chiropractics always got me better quickly until recently. I herniated a disc L5-S1, and have a stress fracture in one of my facet joints, and a posterior sublaxation of my L5. It sucks, and tried 10 visits with Chiro with zero improvement. PT gave me very slight improvement, epidural gave me moderate improvement, core strength gave me slight improvement, and hanging from a pullup bar has been the best for me.

If you aren't feeling improvement after a few chiro visits, then it may not work for that issue. Also, I might add there are lots of not so good chiropractors out there. The really elite ones can handle just about any issue, but there are plenty that don't know as much as you would hope.

Anyways,

What type of pain are you feeling? Sharp pain? Radiating through your buttocks and maybe leg? That is a sign of disc issues. If it is more an ache that is probably muscle pain.

I have had back pain issues related to golf for 20 years. You just have to find the right chiropractor. If you have a guy that wants you to come back 3 times a week for the next 5 years and wants to talk payment plans, just walk out. I have had that appointment before. I now have a chiro i see once a year. he does massage and stim machine for 30-45 minutes that loosen up the area. He then stretches me and sends me on my way. My back gets so stiff and painful that i cannot stretch it out by myself. i have an inversion table that helps a lot. i also do a lot of glute strengthening and stretching since i work in an office all day.

hope that helps.

I have had back pain issues related to golf for 20 years. You just have to find the right chiropractor. If you have a guy that wants you to come back 3 times a week for the next 5 years and wants to talk payment plans, just walk out. I have had that appointment before. I now have a chiro i see once a year. he does massage and stim machine for 30-45 minutes that loosen up the area. He then stretches me and sends me on my way. My back gets so stiff and painful that i cannot stretch it out by myself. i have an inversion table that helps a lot. i also do a lot of glute strengthening and stretching since i work in an office all day.

hope that helps.

that sounds more like a Physical Therapist.

There is a reason why Chiro's are not recognized professionally as medical Doctors.

Whereas the golf swing SHOULD BE a thoracic spine turn back and thru, most people are turning with their lumbar spines. This leads to injury.

Is there a way to evaluate/test for if a person is doing this in their swing?

I've had some ongoing back pain on my lower left side (doctor thought a back spasm lumbar xrays looked ok, chiro #1 thought a bulging disc, physical therapist thought some disc issue and had me do nothing by avoiding flexion and doing mckenzie press-ups, chiro #2 thinks muscle/disc issue due to leg length discrepancy from hip replacement)

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

hope that helps.

There is a reason why Chiro's are not recognized professionally as medical Doctors.

Neither are dentists or podiatrists or psychologists or physical therapists or acupuncturists, etc etc.

I don’t claim to do what an MD does but nor does he do what I do. Currently I have 7 MDs as patients and they, inturn, have made me very busy.

Unfortunately, there is a belief that we are not “recognized” by the medical community and that couldn’t be further from the truth. I’m governed by the Virginia Board of Medicine. I work in conjunction with orthopedists , neurologists, and other professionals when treating a patient. 20 years ago we weren’t accepted by the medical community, mainly because we were an economic threat. Now with over 700 insurance companies covering chiropractic, including Medicare, the military, and other federal programs. With hospital privileges all over the world and the research to support our work, DCs and MDs have found a nice harmony for the good of the patient.

Nobody is saying you do not help anyone, but the theory you can solve illnesses and colds based on spinal manipulation is just quack science to the medical community. I have three Chiros in my own family and they stick to what they know which is spinal adjustments. But even they will tell you the medicare issues of getting reimbursed is a nightmare. Plus when you look at the origins of this science, you learn its based on nothing, only theory. Some people take placebo pills and claim they get better....its all very personal. I'm not trying to offend you in any way but when DC's start comparing themselves to MD"s, its an issue.

Chiro has its place, but unfortunately too many DC"s operate way outside their true scope and give the good ones a bad name. the AMA does not recognize Chiros and its not because of money. Its because of how Chiropractic care originated.....there is plenty of money to go around

hope that helps.

Neither are dentists or podiatrists or psychologists or physical therapists or acupuncturists, etc etc.

I don't claim to do what an MD does but nor does he do what I do. Currently I have 7 MDs as patients and they, inturn, have made me very busy.

Unfortunately, there is a belief that we are not "recognized" by the medical community and that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm governed by the Virginia Board of Medicine. I work in conjunction with orthopedists , neurologists, and other professionals when treating a patient. 20 years ago we weren't accepted by the medical community, mainly because we were an economic threat. Now with over 700 insurance companies covering chiropractic, including Medicare, the military, and other federal programs. With hospital privileges all over the world and the research to support our work, DCs and MDs have found a nice harmony for the good of the patient.

i neglected to mention he does adjust me at the end of the appointment.

also when i threw my back out a few years ago i went to urgent care. they gave me no advice or help, just muscle relaxers and constantly reassured me i couldnt get pain meds (in the case that i was just faking to get them) at the time i was completely bent over 90 degrees in intense pain. i then went to primary who just gave me a script for pain meds and sent me on my way. gee thanks. i hobbled into this chriropractors office again bent over at the waist, he preformed the exact same procedure as i mentioned above, and walked out like nothing ever happened. i couldnt believe it. the time and money i spend on the urgent care visit and primary visit in addition to the prescriptions given by both did nothing. this guy completely fixed me.

You have to find the right chiro.

I don't go regularly. But I have bouts of lower back pain at times and it's always muscle related. I get muscles into knots at times and they won't release. My guy is great at doing minimal stuff. He has a massage therapist on staff And a massage table I've offered to buy. lol. We will work out the muscle issue first. Then an adjustment every other day for a week and I'm usually good for 6 months or more. I've never ever left in more pain. And I've broken my back in 2 places in 2001. So I'm not exactly issue Free.

Now I will say this. There ar many back cracking quacks out there. Find a place that uses more therapeutic techniques vs just adjusting every day. If you have muscle issues all the adjustment on earth won't help. Why ? The muscles are pulling you out of alignment . You have to fix the cause first.

Good stuff. This explains why the best treatment I received was from a DO who does manipulation and lots of massage work, too. I guess I was suckered into the Joint for low cost care. DO's can be expensive.

Morning folks!

I'm a Chiro in private practice for 32 years. My office is 500 yards from a top private country club here in Virginia. I've attended and taught sports related and golf specific injury seminars over the last 20 years and have treated PGA (when they were at Kingsmill), LPGA, Senior Tour, Web.com players NFL, and was one of the chiros chosen for the US Olympic team ( couldn't do it cause if the time commitment) over the years, not to mention all the club guys.

Chiropractic works depending on your issue. Range of motion can be increased and pre and post round pain patterns can be managed. Whereas the golf swing SHOULD BE a thoracic spine turn back and thru, most people are turning with their lumbar spines. This leads to injury.

To the OP, find a doc that's been in practice for at least 10-15 years who has studied and has extensive experience with sports injuries. Also, please be aware that a 30 year old injury can not be "cured" but only managed. Life, work, sitting, golf, and age all compound an injury that " has never felt the same after 30 years" and has never been effectively treated.

All your major athletes and sports teams use chiropractic with staff chiropractors. Tiger, Phil, Dustin, etc. Zac Johnson's dad is a chiropractor.

Like all professions, there are good and bad out there. Find a good one. Palmer graduate. I think you'll be happy.

Nick

thanks Nick

Nobody is saying you do not help anyone, but the theory you can solve illnesses and colds based on spinal manipulation is just quack science to the medical community. I have three Chiros in my own family and they stick to what they know which is spinal adjustments. But even they will tell you the medicare issues of getting reimbursed is a nightmare. Plus when you look at the origins of this science, you learn its based on nothing, only theory. Some people take placebo pills and claim they get better....its all very personal. I'm not trying to offend you in any way but when DC's start comparing themselves to MD"s, its an issue.

Chiro has its place, but unfortunately too many DC"s operate way outside their true scope and give the good ones a bad name. the AMA does not recognize Chiros and its not because of money. Its because of how Chiropractic care originated.....there is plenty of money to go around

Quack science? Please do your research. The medical community has done the research for us. They want to teach spinal manipulation in med schools but have been barred by the court system. It is about the money. The AMA is the largest lobbying organization on the planet. Along with the pharmaceutical companies, they spend $1billion a month on advertising. Look at TV advertising, how many drug commercials can you count in an hour? No other country in the world does this. Back pain will affect 80% of the population at one time or another and we cut into those profits. There are countless insurance companies who would rather see you go to a DC vs an MD by charging deductibles for MD care and none for DC care

As far as the origins of the science, may I remind you MDs used leeches for bloodletting, drilled holes in skulls to let out the “bad vapors”, and other fun treatments. 100,000+ people die annually from botched surgeries, wrong prescriptions, and misdiagnosis. I’ve never heard of a chiropractic fatality.

And finally, Medicare...Medicare has put 2 kids thru the finest colleges in the country...cash; It has allowed me to live a very comfortable life while working part time and it has allowed an untold amount of seniors to get the care they need and deserve. Tell your chiro relatives that documentation is the key

Whereas the golf swing SHOULD BE a thoracic spine turn back and thru, most people are turning with their lumbar spines. This leads to injury.

I've had some ongoing back pain on my lower left side (doctor thought a back spasm lumbar xrays looked ok, chiro #1 thought a bulging disc, physical therapist thought some disc issue and had me do nothing by avoiding flexion and doing mckenzie press-ups, chiro #2 thinks muscle/disc issue due to leg length discrepancy from hip replacement)

No real way to tell if your swing is creating back issues when discussing thoracic spine vs lumbar spine rotation. A PGA pro should help with that.

When different professionals “think” that your pain may be disc related, it’s time for an MRI. That’s the only way to get a definitive disc diagnosis.

No real way to tell if your swing is creating back issues when discussing thoracic spine vs lumbar spine rotation. A PGA pro should help with that.

When different professionals "think" that your pain may be disc related, it's time for an MRI. That's the only way to get a definitive disc diagnosis.

Nick, I have neck pain with the neck adjustments, after the visits. Would you recommend having the chiro to take it off his list of adjustments or it's normal? I didn't have some of the pains before going. I am a bit concerned. Hopefully, it will work in the long run. Tanner

When different professionals "think" that your pain may be disc related, it's time for an MRI. That's the only way to get a definitive disc diagnosis.

Nick, I have neck pain with the neck adjustments, after the visits. Would you recommend having the chiro to take it off his list of adjustments or it's normal? I didn't have some of the pains before going. I am a bit concerned. Hopefully, it will work in the long run. Tanner

Hey Tanner

Have the Chiro switch to a lower force method. Ask if uses Activator method. Some soreness may be normal, especially if you’re new to all this. Definitely bring it up with the doc. Ice after the adjustments also help

I ruptured the discs in my neck and recovery was both slow and painful. My brother-in-law who is a dentist and has a Master's in pain management, spent weeks trying to convince me to see a chiropractor he knows. I finally did, and it was one of the best things I ever did. She got me squared away in relative short order, and has done so with subsequent injuries.

I suppose like in any other profession there are good ones and bad ones. I fortunately have a good one.

Quack science? Please do your research. The medical community has done the research for us. They want to teach spinal manipulation in med schools but have been barred by the court system. It is about the money. The AMA is the largest lobbying organization on the planet. Along with the pharmaceutical companies, they spend $1billion a month on advertising. Look at TV advertising, how many drug commercials can you count in an hour? No other country in the world does this. Back pain will affect 80% of the population at one time or another and we cut into those profits. There are countless insurance companies who would rather see you go to a DC vs an MD by charging deductibles for MD care and none for DC care

As far as the origins of the science, may I remind you MDs used leeches for bloodletting, drilled holes in skulls to let out the "bad vapors", and other fun treatments. 100,000+ people die annually from botched surgeries, wrong prescriptions, and misdiagnosis. I've never heard of a chiropractic fatality.

And finally, Medicare...Medicare has put 2 kids thru the finest colleges in the country...cash; It has allowed me to live a very comfortable life while working part time and it has allowed an untold amount of seniors to get the care they need and deserve. Tell your chiro relatives that documentation is the key

quack science is not my term....im just saying that's been the historical stigma........I agree with a lot of what you said but your stat on how many people die from botched surgeries is in fact, erroneous....that's a much deeper worm hole as we both know....bottom line is im glad u make a nice living and are doing go work. ...