2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

have driving irons become new status quo?

orangeology

When companies are charging $250 for a single iron...I start to call BS. That's a fad they're making money on.

Just how much performance difference are people observing between their driving iron and their standard forged CB 3-iron? I know how much difference I noticed--not that much. But it gives people something to spend they're money on.

Personally, I'm kind of over them. For as little as I hit my longest irons I'd rather keep them matching the rest of my set.

And yeah, you'd better build some forgiveness into that club-head if you're switching up shaft weight, shaft flex, swing weight, and other critical variables.

Preach man....

But careful because I've been saying that for a while and people get upset...

Why you can't just buy a GI 3 iron for 1/2 the price I will never know

For a 3-iron it works, but if you need sub 20* then there is no "GI" version. For the person you quoted... My 3I is my 212-215 "stock shot" and my 2I/DI is my "5 wood" and is a solid 225-228 carry. For me, it fits gaps better on long par 3s, or 2nd shots into a long par 4 or 5. Not to mention how great it is to have a mid flight 230-235 tee shot that rolls and is reliable.

A lot of courses I play have 210-230 par 3s, holes with a lot of trouble in driver range, and some short and narrow par 4s where the UDI is perfect. I was sold when I hit a slightly choked down 2 iron into a 220 yard par 3, into the wind, and got it right into the front edge 15 feet from the hole. Prior to that, I would have to muscle a 3I or hope and pray my 5 wood got through the wind.

I think there is some fad, but not for everyone..

My Steelhead XR 3 iron is 18 degrees.

My UDI is 17* works for me ;)

If you're honestly seeing better results from a 170 iron than you would with a comparable hybrid, then go with what works.

I've actually been pondering something Sergio Garcia recently revealed about his set make-up. Granted he uses a 5w rather than a 2i. Nevertheless, he said that when he backs down from hitting driver, he often opts for his 5w (not his 3w). He said he sees his 5w as a fairway finder and treats the 3w as a "go for it" on Par-5 holes.

It makes me wonder if some amateurs could learn a lesson there. I have often been unhappy with the results of backing down to a 3w off the tee because the results aren't really any more "accurate" than with driver. However, the results with a 5w (or 2i) are often considerably more accurate and prone to stay in play.

Then again, I hit the ball about the same distance you do but I don't really consider myself long enough for a 2i. If your course calls for it quite often, maybe it's worth it. I know in my case, I'm better off with a hybrid in that area because I use mine from the fairway just as often as I will off the tee.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried out 3 driving irons/utilities this spring. Srixon U65, Tmb, and Callaway UT. All set at 19*. The U65 was eliminated almost immediately, the sole on that thing was ginormous and I just didnt jive with it. Had a little battle with the Titleist and Callaway. Found the Callaway was more forgiving and longer for me, which fit my gap between 5i and 3w. I also was able to hit the Cally more consistently off the deck if needed. The Titleist is prettier to look at but the Callaway is more dependable in my hands so the Callaway is in the bag.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

My home course is not very conducive for driver unless you play the tips. Since I bought the Cobra King utility I have played about 5 rounds of which I avg. 4 holes using driver off the tee, 5 or 6 with the Cobra Utility, and 1 or 2 with my hybrid. Before I bought the DI and Hybrid I was hitting 4 iron for tight tee shots and the DI is much more forgiving.

The Cobra Utility is not super long but it is dead straight and low which is huge for me since I hit everything very high. I still have to shaft my hybrid and 3 wood with what I was fit for and even if they become just as accurate I will probably keep the DI and kick out the 4 iron that I never seem to use.

I have been really intrigued about adding one to the bag. Don't know if I go with a DI that is 18 degrees and replace the hybrid or something 21 degrees which is about what my 4 iron is. The next question is what would be the point of replacing the 4I? I rarely hit my 4I but wouldn't mind another option off the when my Driver game falls apart.

Driver: PXG Black Ops Tour-1 10.5deg - Tour AD TP 6S

Fairway Wood: PXG Black Ops 0311 15deg - Tour AD VR 7S
Hybrid: PXG Black Ops 0311 19deg - Tour AD DI Hyb 85S
Irons: PXG Gen6 0311P 4-GW - DG Mid 115
Wedges: Mizuno T24 54 & 58 S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond (Other testing in progress)

all in all. whether a real need or a status quo, i do love driving irons. it does help the game more 'fun' in many occasions IMO. it does make the bag look cooler as well.

__

DR Callie Epic Flash 💎💎💎 8.5º TC + House of Forged Ballistic LD-S

3W Royal Collection CV Pro 13° + LAGP House of Forged Tour Limited 70X 

5W PXG 0341X Proto 18º + LAGP HoF Platinum 70S 

HYB Royal Collection 505V BBD 18º + NS PRO 950FW X, PXG 0317X 21º + Fujikura Pro 95i Tour Spec X

DI Nike VFP #4 + KBS Tour HYB Proto 95X, Callie X Forged ‘18 #3 + Modus Tour 120X

IRONS Callie X Forged 2013 5-PW MMT 95S

WEDGES Scratch 8620 47º, 50º, 55º STI 60º, Edel 60º

PUTTERS Nike Method 001, Edel The "Gold" Brick, John Byron Winner Seven

I would say about half the people I know that have tried them have stayed with them as they offer a benefit. The other half went back to hitting hybrids or woods off the tee as they gained no real advantage. In our group there does seem to be a correlation to the lower (sub 15) handicaps benefiting from the driving iron vs the higher handicaps. That's what we have seen anyway.

all in all. whether a real need or a status quo, i do love driving irons. it does help the game more 'fun' in many occasions IMO. it does make the bag look cooler as well.

... I have shot in the 60's 4 times so far this July. Not once did my scorecard ask what I hit, what was in my bag or if it was cool. My scorecard didn't care what was engraved on my wedge, what color my ferrules or grips are or what brand I used. Golf clubs help you play your best golf or they don't and cool never enters into it ... unless you are posting on WRX of course.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

carrying a cooler looking bag can be way more feasible and achievable goal for me than *hitting 60s* a few times in one month. :) damn me realizing i've never finished scorecard in last 5 yrs...

__

DR Callie Epic Flash 💎💎💎 8.5º TC + House of Forged Ballistic LD-S

3W Royal Collection CV Pro 13° + LAGP House of Forged Tour Limited 70X 

5W PXG 0341X Proto 18º + LAGP HoF Platinum 70S 

HYB Royal Collection 505V BBD 18º + NS PRO 950FW X, PXG 0317X 21º + Fujikura Pro 95i Tour Spec X

DI Nike VFP #4 + KBS Tour HYB Proto 95X, Callie X Forged ‘18 #3 + Modus Tour 120X

IRONS Callie X Forged 2013 5-PW MMT 95S

WEDGES Scratch 8620 47º, 50º, 55º STI 60º, Edel 60º

PUTTERS Nike Method 001, Edel The "Gold" Brick, John Byron Winner Seven

... LOL, I hear ya. At least you didn't use the term "sexy" to describe golf equipment. One of the truly silliest things I read on golf forums.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

I've never owned a 5 wood in my life. But the past year, I've had a 19º 3-hybrid. It is constant on distance (225-230 carry), but I have a tendency to hook it way left. Which is weird, because I'm a fader of the ball, coming from a history of having a massive slice. I don't draw any other club in my bag. Just the 3 hybrid.

So, I'm hoping that the 2 UDI will replace my 3 Hybrid. I have a 20º 3-UDI from the Tour Preferred line, which I really enjoy. But that's about a 215-220 club. Hoping the 2 UDI bridges the gap between my 3 UDI and 3-wood, while remaining straighter than the hybrid.

To me, in theory, it fits a very specific need, and isn't really "trendy" at all.

... LOL, I hear ya. At least you didn't use the term "sexy" to describe golf equipment. One of the truly silliest things I read on golf forums.

I don't know... I've heard of people with some weirder fetishes than that before

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

Kinda baffling that the naysayers in here haven't seen the gap that the modern DI has filled that is the reason its been a popular item for the last few years (not just because the open is coming up). Lots of pros used to alternate 2i/5w depending on the course and these hotter faced perimeter weighted modern DIs have eliminated that trade off for many. The 2i was a strong tee club but was usually unforgiving and not great as a long approach option. The 5w was great as a long approach club but often too spinny off the tee for max distance. Modern DIs can do both now with minimal sacrifice. These things are stupid forgiving without any of the accuracy drawbacks that fairway woods can have (gear effects) and can be elevated and dropped down easier than a 2i/5w respectively. There has also been a strong focus and bringing out a larger variety of high quality hybrid shaft options. Anyone likening this to the mini driver or 64* wedge trend would do well to look at how few of those clubs ended up in pros bags compared to how many are sporting DIs these days. I was ALWAYS a fairway wood guy but if I didn't love my 4w so much it would be replaced with a 1i UDI.

It may just be that different clubs work well for different swings. My home course has a handful of short, tight par 4's that yield big rewards for a well placed ~220 - 230 yard tee shot, so I was pumped to put a 2i in the bag.

But after a bunch of rounds, I found that my average result really wasn't materially different than it had been hitting 3i off the same tees. And I never really could get it to launch off a tight fairway. Ultimately, it just wasn't that useful for me as an everyday club.

If I were playing a links course in blustery conditions, I'd put it back in the back in a heartbeat. But it's just not a versatile enough club for everyday use IMHO.

Oh yeah for sure, nothing is going to work for everyone. I still may grab something in the 17* range for those windy days though.

I've actually been pondering something Sergio Garcia recently revealed about his set make-up. Granted he uses a 5w rather than a 2i. Nevertheless, he said that when he backs down from hitting driver, he often opts for his 5w (not his 3w). He said he sees his 5w as a fairway finder and treats the 3w as a "go for it" on Par-5 holes.

It makes me wonder if some amateurs could learn a lesson there. I have often been unhappy with the results of backing down to a 3w off the tee because the results aren't really any more "accurate" than with driver. However, the results with a 5w (or 2i) are often considerably more accurate and prone to stay in play.

For someone like Sergio that makes sense give how steep/delofted he is. I have a tendency to do the same when it comes to "fairway finding" and that is what my 17* is primarily used for. I have been experimenting with being a little more shallow off the tee though and that is where the driving irons start to have the advantage I think.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I've never owned a 5 wood in my life. But the past year, I've had a 19º 3-hybrid. It is constant on distance (225-230 carry), but I have a tendency to hook it way left. Which is weird, because I'm a fader of the ball, coming from a history of having a massive slice. I don't draw any other club in my bag. Just the 3 hybrid.

So, I'm hoping that the 2 UDI will replace my 3 Hybrid. I have a 20º 3-UDI from the Tour Preferred line, which I really enjoy. But that's about a 215-220 club. Hoping the 2 UDI bridges the gap between my 3 UDI and 3-wood, while remaining straighter than the hybrid.

To me, in theory, it fits a very specific need, and isn't really "trendy" at all.

I use my 2 UDI to bridge the gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron. The UDI is so much more workable in my opinion that a hybrid.

Hitting an iron 240-250 is a huge asset.

However

for us ams we aren’t playing courses that are as penalizing for errant shots that the pros play.

I only hit mine where Bunkers, OB and water hazards are in play off the tee.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

for us ams we aren’t playing courses that are as penalizing for errant shots that the pros play.

I want to try these treeless course you're playing. Pretty much screwed and have to punch out if you don't get lucky at the courses around me. (yes the rough is thicker for PGA events too)

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

People boo-hoo'ed for years about hooking hybrids, and then pick up graphite shafted driving irons with upright lies and offset, getting charged almost the same amount of money for a new hybrid.

"Oh, I don't hook these..." :russian_roulette:

What are you talking about? You're just flat out wrong. P790 UDI 2 iron has less offset than the 5 iron of the regular 790 set. The lie on the 2 iron is 1/2* flatter than the 3 iron.

So they're less offset and flatter. Maybe that explains why good players aren't hooking them.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

It makes me wonder if some amateurs could learn a lesson there.

For someone like Sergio that makes sense give how steep/delofted he is. I have a tendency to do the same when it comes to "fairway finding" and that is what my 17* is primarily used for. I have been experimenting with being a little more shallow off the tee though and that is where the driving irons start to have the advantage I think.

I was thinking a lot of amateurs also share that steep & de-lofted condition so it's probably a good idea for them. I know I share that same tendency to occasionally miss with a steeper-than-normal impact.

Given that's the case, it's probably not unreasonable that a lot of folks are enjoying hitting tee shots with a 17-180 iron as opposed to a normal 14-150 fairway. They might be giving up distance, but it might be a net gain given the added consistency.

It would just depend on whether they're "justified" in using an iron there versus a hybrid which would almost surely produce more a reliable distance for approach shots.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I got my 790 udi yesterday and I played 18 with it without range time.

Man.. this thing is legit. I heard many negative reviews on the stock shaft but the hzrdus is just perfect to me.

So straight and so loooong.

I hope I can make the honeymoon longer!

Ping                       G430 10k Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Titleist                   Titleist u505 2 iron w/GD Tour AD IZ 95S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/Fujikura MCI 105 MILD

LAB                   Mezz 1 Max Broomstick w/Accra

I got my 790 udi yesterday and I played 18 with it without range time.

Man.. this thing is legit. I heard many negative reviews on the stock shaft but the hzrdus is just perfect to me.

So straight and so loooong.

I hope I can make the honeymoon longer!

I've loved mine, but while playing in the men's league tonight at my course the face cracked. It's only my 3rd round with it, but it was perfect for 250-60 off the tee.

I've loved mine, but while playing in the men's league tonight at my course the face cracked. It's only my 3rd round with it, but it was perfect for 250-60 off the tee.

Sorry to hear that.TM will send you a replacement?

Ping                       G430 10k Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Titleist                   Titleist u505 2 iron w/GD Tour AD IZ 95S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/Fujikura MCI 105 MILD

LAB                   Mezz 1 Max Broomstick w/Accra

People boo-hoo'ed for years about hooking hybrids, and then pick up graphite shafted driving irons with upright lies and offset, getting charged almost the same amount of money for a new hybrid.

"Oh, I don't hook these..." :russian_roulette:

What are you talking about? You're just flat out wrong. P790 UDI 2 iron has less offset than the 5 iron of the regular 790 set. The lie on the 2 iron is 1/2* flatter than the 3 iron.

So they're less offset and flatter. Maybe that explains why good players aren't hooking them.

Lol, no wonder his screenname is the MadGolfer.

He pretty much summed up the antithesis of why people gravitate towards driving irons.

I would say that there is some comedy here in the Taylormade lineup in particular. They've created a new normal where you're buying 7 irons to cover the 21* - 45* loft spread...and first they come to tell you that you now need an "attack" wedge to get your 'scoring clubs' right...and then they tell you that you really do need a stronger iron for use off the tee...

Maybe they should just sell a 2i - PW set like they used to...

I prefer a good 5 wood. Plays from light rough easier. Easier to elevate. Just like hitting a 3 wood from the tee.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5* 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood 

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Tour X PROTO putter

I really love the way long irons look and I hate to admit it but it looks really cool with a bag with hardly any headcovers, unfortunately for me I'm so much more consistent with hybrids and fairway woods. Can't see a driving iron ending up in my bag ever, I feel like it's way easier pulling off a low hybrid than a towering long iron.