2018 Marathon Classic Jul 12-15

• Race to the CME Globe: 500 Points
  • Format: 72 holes
  • Purse: $1,600,000
  • Par: 71
  • Yardage: 6476
  • History: This is the 34th year for the event. For the second time in 2017, In-Kyung Kim is a winner on the LPGA Tour. Kim, who won the ShopRite LPGA Classic presented by ACER in June, came into this week’s Marathon Classic presented by Owens Corning and O-I having missed her last two cuts.

Coverage:

• Jul 12: Golf Channel 9:00 pm - 11:00 pm (EDT)
  • Jul 13: Golf Channel 9:00 pm - 11:00 pm (EDT)
  • Jul 14: Golf Channel 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm (EDT)
  • Jul 15: Golf Channel 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm (EDT)

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fairly weak field, with only 5 of the top 20 in the World playing. It's a good opportunity for a win by a player searching for their first victory. Or, maybe Sei Young lights up the course for back-to-back record wins.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

A fairly weak field, with only 5 of the top 20 in the World playing. It's a good opportunity for a win by a player searching for their first victory. Or, maybe Sei Young lights up the course for back-to-back record wins.

I vote for Sei Young; nobody else in the field is in her league.

When she's hot, maybe so. However, she does have extended stretches of mediocre play. She's had 3 top 10's in her last 9 starts, but the other 6 events she finished no better than 25T with one missed cut.

Brooke, In-Kyung, Lexi, and In Gee are playing. In Gee shot -16 last week. Lexi is due for a win. IK had a great week at the KPMG.

When she's hot, maybe so. However, she does have extended stretches of mediocre play. She's had 3 top 10's in her last 9 starts, but the other 6 events she finished no better than 25T with one missed cut.

Brooke, In-Kyung, Lexi, and In Gee are playing. In Gee shot -16 last week. Lexi is due for a win. IK had a great week at the KPMG.

Lexi and In Gee are the once and future queens that weren't.

Lexi and In Gee are the once and future queens that weren't.

'Doesn't mean they're not capable of pulling off a win. Lexi many be in a mini slump (by her standards), but she does have 9 wins on tour. She finished 2nd here last year.

The course plays short, and the last four winners were all short hitters, IK, Kydia, Chella, and Lydia. That plays right into In Gee's wheelhouse.

Sei Young is my co-favorite with Brooke on the LPGA, ironically IMO they are the exact same player with skill set and how they go about playing the game. They are so much the same that a couple events a year they can put 4 great rounds together and blow away the field. Another similarity is they are both erratic and inconsistent from a 100 yrd in with all components of their games and most weeks have the one or two lose rounds that stop them from being able to win. I think both should split the cost of a short game guru for some instruction and both would be solidly in the top 10 in the rolex rankings lol

This is the tourney closest to me. I had really thought about going last year. Kicking myself after! Would have been perfect one for me to go to.

I really like Sei Young. She's an exciting player, fun to watch, can do amazing shots, a fun personality, and a beaming smile I'll always remember from the Rookie of the Year award. And what a tour de force last week.

But I don't expect her to walk all over everyone here. Feel like that's being wowed by her killer performance on Course Easy Mode. That was an awesome showcase, and proves that she has a scary high ceiling. But I'm looking at the rankings for the year, and Argonne's already listed her peers in the field, and the way things go nowadays someone we never thought of could catch fire for a few rounds. I mean for predicting, I'll just never recover from the Pernilla Surprise Attack...

I do hope Sei Young will keep the momentum and contend here.

Cheering for IK of course ... and also Stacy for the home finish baby-on-board angle! If life were a movie she'd have it for sure!

I know Lydia has played 6 events in a row, but kinda weird schedule she set up to skip a tournament she's won 2 times in the last 4 years

Last season she played in the USWO, Marathon, Scottish Open, and Ricoh in consecutive weeks. She missed the cut at the Scottish Open, and finished 59T at the Ricoh. Perhaps she felt that she needed rest before heading to Scotland, and the fourth major a week later?

I know Lydia has played 6 events in a row, but kinda weird schedule she set up to skip a tournament she's won 2 times in the last 4 years

Last season she played in the USWO, Marathon, Scottish Open, and Ricoh in consecutive weeks. She missed the cut at the Scottish Open, and finished 59T at the Ricoh. Perhaps she felt that she needed rest before heading to Scotland, and the fourth major a week later?

Yeah I guess there's many reason to explain the break but on the tour where it's so tough to get a win, I figured most people would wanna play a course they seem to have a big advantage on. Plus rest won't be a problem after the Evian, cause everybody not in the International Crown get a month off before the start of the Asian swing.

I went for a bit today and followed Lexi most of the time. The crowds were noticeably smaller and it is obviously because the field is weaker. Someone connected to the tournament was talking near me saying how disappointed they were Wie, Lydia, Nordqvist, and Kang didn't show up this year. They then went on to tell how awful Michelle is to the people there and told a few stories.

Does Brooke play every tournament?

Married to Callaway Clubs but I cheat with Nike Clubs on occasion.

for the most part....

Her stance is this. She loves to play golf, and if she is not playing a tournament, she is playing golf at home, may as well be cashing checks for her and sis. She will take a few weeks off, but not many.

I always want Brooke to play her best, but need an In Gee win this week. I think her confidence is a bit shaken, would love to see her turn it on this week.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

for the most part....

Her stance is this. She loves to play golf, and if she is not playing a tournament, she is playing golf at home, may as well be cashing checks for her and sis. She will take a few weeks off, but not many.

I always want Brooke to play her best, but need an In Gee win this week. I think her confidence is a bit shaken, would love to see her turn it on this week.

Brooke generally as of now is taking the week before a major off, she won't be in Aberdine either. I think that's all she be taking off and probably the event before the CME during the Asian swing, she did last season too.

What's with the crappy coverage. Don't answer that, rhetorical question. I feel that, if they are going to tape-delay, they might as well present more than a measly two hours of coverage. I thought the whole point of tape delay was to allow more people to view than normally would. Instead, the way the Golf Channel does it, it feels like they are blackballing the LPGA.

This is Stacy Lewis's big farewell before maternity leave. The establishment talks a lot about how they love Stacy. I don't believe them anymore.

Actually GC would run it live if they could. A live event always gets higher ratings than tape delay. But a PGA Tour event takes priority.

If anyone really wants to watch a tape delay these days, they'll just DVR it and FF thru the ads.

If you want to watch the Marathon live it's streaming at 4:30pm ET today and tomorrow, opposite the PGA Tour on GC.

The scores are definitely more down to Earth than last week. Nice start by In-Kyung.

Hmmm...a Yani Tseng siting on page 1 of the Leaderboard? What's the over/under on how long this lasts?

Sadly, two rounds tops.

Nice to see In Gee playing well. I hope she can string together four good rounds. She's much too talented to have only two wins.